Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
I would hardly say the iPad 2 blows the infinity out of the water. Hell, I'd take my prime over the iPad 2 any day of the week and that's with all the minor screw ups. If the Infinity fixes those issues, I see no reason that it won't be the be-all and end-all of 10 inch android tablets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I did the bad thing where I played around with someone's ipad 3 enough my 2's screen is now terrible. My ipad's in perfect condition so I'm betting Amazon will give me the $400 trade in credit they list on their site so I was going to use that to trade in for a android tablet instead of an ipad 3 (for a variety of reasons).

Anyone have better/worse comparison on the ergonomics of the transformer tablets vs ipads?

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

randyest posted:

Unless I'm missing something Rastor's link leads to almost 75 Android apps that are designed to work with Android tablets and take advantage of that extra screen real estate, and he also alluded to the fact that well-coded Android phone apps will automatically switch up and make use of tablet screen real estate, such as:

After carefully evaluating those suggestions, the conclusion I reached is that those 75 tablet-specific apps aren't well coded, and some unspecified, unnamed, unsearchable subset of the other android phone apps are well coded and will be awesome. The non-well-coded others will look like this:

At least it's not too cramped/crowded/busy. Happy hunting!

It's much better than ios where if you want to use a non tablet app you'll have to use it in a box at the center of your screen with black bars all around or scale it up so everything is blurry as poo poo. Android tablets do it better than the ipad

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

We're not doing this debate again. It goes in circles every time. Both methods have their trade-offs.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

ThermoPhysical posted:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/07/18/christmas-in-july-logging-into-the-nexus-7-from-multiple-accounts-gives-25-credit-in-each/

Thanks to Android Police, Google now knows of a way to cheat to get more than the normally given $25.

Who knows how long it'll last now if people abused it before Google fixed the problem.

That doesn't surprise me, kindle fires will give you a free month of prime if you factory reset and then log in to a new account that doesn't have prime.

At least it did when I wiped mine and set it up for my grandma on her account.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

We're not doing this debate again. It goes in circles every time. Both methods have their trade-offs.
You are correct and I really wasn't trying to rehash that; I was lamenting the lack of android apps using the third method: an actual tablet specific app.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

randyest posted:

You are correct and I really wasn't trying to rehash that; I was lamenting the lack of android apps using the third method: an actual tablet specific app.

You can have a tablet specific layout without needing a tablet specific app.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

randyest posted:

See: Awful Betamax. It has both a phone and tablet UI in the same app

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

ThermoPhysical posted:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/07/18/christmas-in-july-logging-into-the-nexus-7-from-multiple-accounts-gives-25-credit-in-each/

Thanks to Android Police, Google now knows of a way to cheat to get more than the normally given $25.

Who knows how long it'll last now if people abused it before Google fixed the problem.

I didn't know there was more than $25 worth of apps on the play store.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
How does the N7 compare in terms of hardware to the GNex. The N7 feels even more responsive and smooth to me and I was just wondering if it is better specced or if it's just placebo from the screen size. There are so many different SoCs and whatever else that I really have no clue how to compare.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I decided to put ICS on my Kindle Fire, although now I'm thinking I should have thrown on a Jelly Bean rom, this is pretty fun so far though.

All the essentials, right there. :frogc00l:

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

But won't any purchased content be attached to the extra accounts?

Seems a little bit pointless.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
It would, but I could see people creating a new account and using it to watch a few movies etc. Not convenient for buying apps, though.

pliar
Jan 1, 2005
How is reading/manipulating pdf's on the Nexus 7? I'm looking to get a tablet to condense all the academic articles my job is accumulating. My friend's iPad (v.1) seemed quite good with it but I have minor apprehensions due to the Nexus 7 screen size.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

randyest posted:

lament:
verb (used with object)
1. to feel or express sorrow or regret for: to lament his absence.
2. to mourn for or over.

I don't think any significant group of people outside of tech journalists are actually lamenting a lack of tablet-specific apps, and only a small minority of people even care. The people that are the most loudly offended are iOS fanboys, a group to which you seem to belong.

In fact, why are you even here?

EDIT: I retract my statement and apologize for being a jerk.

Kynetx fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jul 19, 2012

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I don't really want tablet and phone apps to be segregated, anyway. The fewer things I have to buy and install, the better.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

pliar posted:

How is reading/manipulating pdf's on the Nexus 7? I'm looking to get a tablet to condense all the academic articles my job is accumulating. My friend's iPad (v.1) seemed quite good with it but I have minor apprehensions due to the Nexus 7 screen size.

If they are full page layout text it's a little cumbersome, but if they are two column pages, and you use ezPDF it has a nice text flow setting when you can just tap the screen and it moves forward in the text. I've used a variety of Android tablets at all different sizes to read PDFs (including a few 7" models) and they always worked fine. I've had the Nexus for a few days, and it's also fine.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
As far as Nexus 7 cases go, I recently purchased this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008F05Q2E/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

I had a rooCase on my Nook Color back in the day and it was pretty sturdy. This case has the smart cover capability, as well as landscape standing. I haven't got it yet, but for $10 it's not too bad on paper.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

dissss posted:

You can have a tablet specific layout without needing a tablet specific app.
I'd consider those very rare cases to be "universal" apps and just as good if not better than a tablet-specific app.

Paiz
Jan 14, 2004
Oh god I think I did something wrong with my Nexus 7.

I had it in my back pocket and sat down on it when getting into my car. When I pulled it out it was displaying a screen with the green android guy laying on his back with his stomach open and there was a start button. Being an idiot I hit the start button and now my device has been sitting at a screen that just says Google for the last minutes.

What did I do to my tablet?!

EDIT
After reading around online apparently I had managed to boot it into the bootloader and I just had to hold down the Volume Down and Power buttons to reboot it.

Paiz fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jul 19, 2012

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Paiz posted:

Oh god I think I did something wrong with my Nexus 7.

I had it in my back pocket and sat down on it when getting into my car. When I pulled it out it was displaying a screen with the green android guy laying on his back with his stomach open and there was a start button. Being an idiot I hit the start button and now my device has been sitting at a screen that just says Google for the last minutes.

What did I do to my tablet?!

You appearantly butt-booted into fastboot. You can't brick it out from fastboot, though, unless you flashed a custom recovery and somehow your butt managed to boot into CWM, format /system and then reboot into fastboot.

I'm guessing you damaged the SD card or something, since I can't think of a scenario with a stock unit where you could wipe it like that.

3spades
Mar 20, 2003

37! My girlfriend sucked 37 dicks!

Customer: In a row?

BoyBlunder posted:

As far as Nexus 7 cases go, I recently purchased this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008F05Q2E/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

On the subject of cases, I (pre)ordered this one for :10bux:

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
I threw out $13 this morning for this Nexus 7 case: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008I2HN6G/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

It's not a smart cover but the section containing the tablet pops out so you can use it sans cover or stand it up in portrait or landscape. If it doesn't work out then I might just say gently caress it and get a neoprene case.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!
I really want one of the cheap fake leather folio cases, but there are a million different ones on Amazon, half of them appear to be the same thing, and there's no telling of any of them are higher quality than the others. I'm trying to wait until some people get them and report on quality, but I don't want my N7 to get damaged in the mean time. It's so pretty. :(

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

letsgoflyers81 posted:

I really want one of the cheap fake leather folio cases, but there are a million different ones on Amazon, half of them appear to be the same thing, and there's no telling of any of them are higher quality than the others. I'm trying to wait until some people get them and report on quality, but I don't want my N7 to get damaged in the mean time. It's so pretty. :(
The glass on the Nexus 7 is the same as the iPhone 4S, right? I used to be a huge proponent for screen protectors until I got a 4S, and now I'm not so sure they're needed any more as my phone has yet to see a scratch on the screen (I still have it ensconced in a case). I'm guessing the Nexus 7 is tougher than it looks, but I'm still in the same boat as you.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Karthe posted:

The glass on the Nexus 7 is the same as the iPhone 4S, right? I used to be a huge proponent for screen protectors until I got a 4S, and now I'm not so sure they're needed any more as my phone has yet to see a scratch on the screen (I still have it ensconced in a case). I'm guessing the Nexus 7 is tougher than it looks, but I'm still in the same boat as you.

Yeah I'm not really concerned about a screen protector, more about damage to the rest of the device. I want some kind of a folio that way it's completely protected when not in use but there's nothing on the screen to affect the display or scrolling when I'm using it. It just has to be a decent looking folio that fits well, it's complete poo poo, and stays closed.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

Karthe posted:

If its the same as my 4s (which I don't use a screen protector on) I'd be fine with not using a screen protector, except the anti-smudge coating is either really lovely or nonexistent. I need a screen protector just so I am not staring at a billion copies of my fingerprints.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Karthe posted:

The glass on the Nexus 7 is the same as the iPhone 4S

It is glass, but other than that no one knows how hard each is or what hardening process is used or anything.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Tunga posted:

How does the N7 compare in terms of hardware to the GNex. The N7 feels even more responsive and smooth to me and I was just wondering if it is better specced or if it's just placebo from the screen size. There are so many different SoCs and whatever else that I really have no clue how to compare.

Galaxy Nexus:
SoC Texas Instruments OMAP 4460
CPU 1.2 GHz dual-core ARM Cortex-A9
GPU 307 MHz PowerVR SGX540
Memory 1 GB

Nexus 7:
SoC Nvidia Tegra 3 (T30L)
CPU 1.2 GHz quad-core ARM Cortex-A9 with additional low-speed companion core
GPU 416 MHz Nvidia GeForce ULP with 12 cores
Memory 1 GB

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Karthe posted:

Even my Galaxy S 1 seems to have a really tough screen. I've had it for over 2 years and it only has one tiny scratch, despite being dropped dozens of times and kept in pockets with keys and change.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

letsgoflyers81 posted:

In many years of buying cases for various items I have found that a vast majority of them are the exact same cheap Chinese poo poo from the exact same Chinese factory, only with varying price tags. I have seen entire pages of eBay listings with the exact same case from 10 different vendors. The good news is that it costs very little to try out a couple of cases.

e: I'm currently looking around for a case for my Transformer Infinity and they all look pretty much identical and bad :(

Syrinxx fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jul 19, 2012

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
My Nexus finally shipped, and it left Kentucky at 2:40 AM this morning and was sitting on my doorstop in Oregon by 7 AM :psyduck: That's incredible shipping speed, goddamn.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

If its the same as my 4s (which I don't use a screen protector on) I'd be fine with not using a screen protector, except the anti-smudge coating is either really lovely or nonexistent. I need a screen protector just so I am not staring at a billion copies of my fingerprints.

You're right about that, the fingerprints on my N7 are so much more noticeable than on my GN and iPad. A screen protector might be worth it just to help with it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

letsgoflyers81 posted:

You're right about that, the fingerprints on my N7 are so much more noticeable than on my GN and iPad. A screen protector might be worth it just to help with it.

just FYI, the zagg/bestskinever seem to repel fingerprints alot better than the perfectly clear cling protectors. Unless someone makes an oleophobic one for the nexus 7.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Don Lapre posted:

just FYI, the zagg/bestskinever seem to repel fingerprints alot better than the perfectly clear cling protectors. Unless someone makes an oleophobic one for the nexus 7.

I would want something that's as clear as possible though. I hate how some make the screen dimmer or grainy looking. How are Zagg and Bestskinever in that respect?

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad

letsgoflyers81 posted:

I would want something that's as clear as possible though. I hate how some make the screen dimmer or grainy looking. How are Zagg and Bestskinever in that respect?

They definitely add the "egg shell" type layer to the screen. They also increase traction, which can be kind of annoying when you're dragging your finger quickly.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

UncleGuito posted:

They definitely add the "egg shell" type layer to the screen. They also increase traction, which can be kind of annoying when you're dragging your finger quickly.

Yeah that would annoy the hell out of me. If I use anything I'd want it to look and feel as much like the naked glass as possible, just with less fingerprints.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Yeah that would annoy the hell out of me. If I use anything I'd want it to look and feel as much like the naked glass as possible, just with less fingerprints.

There are some ipad glass screen protectors coming out that have oleophobic coatings, maybe someone will product a nexus 7 one.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
The fingerprints will really bother me for the first week or so, then I won't even notice them.

Got mine a few hours ago, though I haven't actually turned it on yet. The packaging isn't nearly as bad as those videos made it out to be. The sleeve is quite tight, yes, but it didn't take much effort to get off. I'm a packaging nerd and, while this isn't amazing, it isn't as bad as many electronics I've bought and I like how unfussy the box is.

I also really like the dimpled back. One of the things I hate about Ipads and other shiny electronics is their lack of tactility and texture. Quite impressed with the build and design on show at this price point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad
So does Flipboard on the Nexus 7 run using the phone interface (flip up/down) or is it optimized for tablets? I'm thinking about selling my iPad 2 but Flipboard is one of my most used apps on it- I don't really want to get rid of it if the experience isn't the same.