Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

A Buttery Pastry posted:

What? How do they look nothing like coffee cups? There have already been two people who saw them as coffee cups right away, without having seen the movie. I being one of them.

Me too. Knew what they were immediately, remembered the scene. I didn't really like Heat or remember much of the movie either.

Nevermind this discussion is no longer important. :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

I mean, I like Olly Moss as much as anyone, but that is such a lazy loving poster.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Lt. Chips posted:

I thought they were stove knobs. They are the same knob in design, but they are facing opposite directions. Therefore, the poster is deep and meaningful. Also, something about heat.

I thought they were frying pans. Is there a scene where they hit each other with frying pans?

If not, WHY not?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!

Vagabundo posted:

Also two more from The Campaign

The books turned around on the desk is a particularly nice touch.

It really is a shame this movie's not going to be very good, because the posters are just great. I'm not so hot on the second one, but the first is just beautiful.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Dolph's got a hell of a blade there. Thing's bigger than his head.

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

Dangerous Person posted:

Dolph's got a hell of a blade there. Thing's bigger than his head.

Whoa, I didn't even notice that before. Paul Hogan would be proud.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Vagabundo posted:

Dutch poster for Expendables 2. Is English widely spoken in the Netherlands?
86% claim to be able to hold a conversation in English, so yes. You can apply that to Scandinavia as well. If the poster had a tagline in Dutch I suspect people would actually be turned off from watching the movie, at least I think that would be the case here in Denmark if it was in Danish.

kiimo posted:

Me too. Knew what they were immediately, remembered the scene. I didn't really like Heat or remember much of the movie either.
Yeah, it's not that I can't see why people mistake them for frying pans and poo poo (though I think coffee cups are more obvious), but it's weird to say that they don't look like coffee cups.

kiimo posted:

Nevermind this discussion is no longer important. :lol:
Hah, yeah.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

A Buttery Pastry posted:

86% claim to be able to hold a conversation in English, so yes. You can apply that to Scandinavia as well. If the poster had a tagline in Dutch I suspect people would actually be turned off from watching the movie, at least I think that would be the case here in Denmark if it was in Danish.

I'm German, and while I'm not sure if a German tagline would actually turn somebody away, the vocabulary on this particular poster is so basic that I don't think anyone would NOT understand it.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

DominoDancing posted:

I'm German, and while I'm not sure if a German tagline would actually turn somebody away, the vocabulary on this particular poster is so basic that I don't think anyone would NOT understand it.

I started to wonder when I noticed the credit scroll at the bottom of the poster was in English as well.

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
The heck is that supposed to be? The year evokes a wine bottle but it looks like some metallic cylinder submerged in urine.

This is the L. Ron Hubbard-inspired movie? I still don't get it.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Role Play McMurphy posted:

The heck is that supposed to be? The year evokes a wine bottle but it looks like some metallic cylinder submerged in urine.

This is the L. Ron Hubbard-inspired movie? I still don't get it.

Making an educated guess that it's Torpedo Juice, which we see Phoenix's character drink in the teaser trailer.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Confirming this. In The Netherlands movies are subbed, not dubbed. Movies for children are dubbed, but a cinema ("bioscoop"!) usually offers both the dub and sub. Most of it is animated stuff, although Harry Potter also had a dub.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

It seems to me that generally the European countries that speak Germanic languages (i.e. Germany, Netherlands, Flanders in Belgium and Scandinavia) have a lot of people who can also speak English, moreso than the countries that speak Romance or Slavic languages. Then again, I saw Superbad for the first time in Prague and it was subtitled instead of dubbed so who knows v:shobon:v

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Pablo Gigante posted:

It seems to me that generally the European countries that speak Germanic languages (i.e. Germany, Netherlands, Flanders in Belgium and Scandinavia) have a lot of people who can also speak English, moreso than the countries that speak Romance or Slavic languages. Then again, I saw Superbad for the first time in Prague and it was subtitled instead of dubbed so who knows v:shobon:v

Well in Germany at least pretty much every single movie is dubbed. It's a bit of a shame really since you occasionlly miss out on really good acting. Even if the voiceover is done well it can't hope to do justice to Nick Cage going completely mental or something similar.
It does make things cheaper for advertising, though. It's kinda fun to hear Bruce Willis pimping out a hardware store chain :v:

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yeah, it's not that I can't see why people mistake them for frying pans and poo poo (though I think coffee cups are more obvious), but it's weird to say that they don't look like coffee cups.

It's really not that weird considering how many people just on this thread didn't know what they were. If you're nit picking over "they look nothing like" then sure, it's a little hyperbolic, but it's a generic enough design that it could be any number of things. Any number of small changes would have made them immediately apparent to be coffee cups. It's nice that you saw it, but a bunch of people didn't.

Lt. Chips posted:

I thought they were stove knobs. They are the same knob in design, but they are facing opposite directions. Therefore, the poster is deep and meaningful. Also, something about heat.

The interesting thing about the directions they are facing is that with a few changes it would mimic the staging of some of the street gunfight.

Maarak posted:

Making an educated guess that it's Torpedo Juice, which we see Phoenix's character drink in the teaser trailer.
Yeah, the text itself reads pretty well as the label on a bottle of liquor, but I'm not sure they'd submerge the outside of it.

lessthankyle fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jul 19, 2012

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

lessthankyle posted:

Yeah, the text itself reads pretty well as the label on a bottle of liquor, but I'm not sure they'd submerge the outside of it.

I read it as a bottle of liquour in melted ice water, like you would find at the end of a party.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Perestroika posted:

Well in Germany at least pretty much every single movie is dubbed. It's a bit of a shame really since you occasionlly miss out on really good acting. Even if the voiceover is done well it can't hope to do justice to Nick Cage going completely mental or something similar.
It does make things cheaper for advertising, though. It's kinda fun to hear Bruce Willis pimping out a hardware store chain :v:

I love the dubs of 80's action movies, especially Die Hard was amazing.

I'm still confused that some movies are renamed in Germany. Taken was called 96 Hours which is just...weird.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Popelmon posted:

I love the dubs of 80's action movies, especially Die Hard was amazing.

I'm still confused that some movies are renamed in Germany. Taken was called 96 Hours which is just...weird.

Isn't the German name for Die Hard something like "A Tough Nut To Crack?"

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

When Die Hard came out I think a lot of people in America were confused by the title. It was the name of a battery but in general, in my opinion, not a popular saying at all. At least not that my 13 year-old self could ascertain.

Physical
Sep 26, 2007

by T. Finninho

kiimo posted:

When Die Hard came out I think a lot of people in America were confused by the title. It was the name of a battery but in general, in my opinion, not a popular saying at all. At least not that my 13 year-old self could ascertain.
The only thing that gave that phrase any sort of popularity was the movie. So You would think that in Germany they could have just stuck with it and maybe coined the term.

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
Are we talking about the phrase "Die Hard" alone? Because that wasn't and never has been a phrase or idiom.

Or did you mean what I assume was its root source, the phrase "old habits die hard"?

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Die Hard = Stirb Langsam (Die Slowly). That one makes sense in my opinion. Some really terrible German names were:

Original Title: Airplane!
German Title: Die unglaubliche Reise in einem verrückten Flugzeug
German Title in English: The incredible journey in a crazy airplane

Original Title: Once upon a time in the West
German Title: Spiel mir das Lied vom Tod
German Title in English: Play me the Song of Death

Original Title: 3000 Miles to Graceland
German Title: Crime is King

Original Title: The Good, The Bad and the Ugly
German Title: Zwei glorreiche Halunken
German Title in English: Two glorious scoundrels

Just look at this if you want some cheap laughs: http://www.listal.com/list/lost-translation-german-titles

Physical
Sep 26, 2007

by T. Finninho
^^^ Hah what?! Die Hard doesn't translate to German better than to die slowly? Because Die Slowly sounds like he is a cancer patient and will inevitably die. Die Hard implies that there is a good chance that he won't.

Whatever the hell they meant when they named the movie. What habit was he not letting go of? Being a cop? I thought they just wanted to convey that he is hard to kill.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Popelmon posted:

Die Hard = Stirb Langsam (Die Slowly). That one makes sense in my opinion. Some really terrible German names were:

Just look at this if you want some cheap laughs: http://www.listal.com/list/lost-translation-german-titles

These titles are so much better than the originals it's not even funny, I so want to watch Play Me the Song of Death and Two Glorious Scoundrels one after another.

edit:

What's the use of a beef steak to a dead dog? Mr. Ricco

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jul 19, 2012

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Popelmon posted:

That's pretty bad. However, this is one...

Popelmon posted:

...is pretty loving relevant to the movie (there might be some spoilers).

Popelmon posted:

I can see this as well, since the Elvis "The King" motif plays heavily into the film.

Popelmon posted:

This isn't that great, but it can relate a bit to the adventures of Blondie and Tuco, while leaving Angel Eyes out of it.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

That website translates the German Hot Fuzz title as "Two Cool Guys Jerking Off" which frankly I am okay with.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Role Play McMurphy posted:

Are we talking about the phrase "Die Hard" alone? Because that wasn't and never has been a phrase or idiom.

Or did you mean what I assume was its root source, the phrase "old habits die hard"?

You're wrong. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/57th_(West_Middlesex)_Regiment_of_Foot

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Young Freud posted:

...is pretty loving relevant to the movie (there might be some spoilers).

Oh yes, it is relevant and I actually really like the German title. It's just very different.

quote:

I can see this as well, since the Elvis "The King" motif plays heavily into the film.

But changing an English title to another English title is just stupid no matter how relevant it might be.

Another really, really stupid title:

Original Title: The Man who knew too little
Original Title in German: Der Mann, der zu wenig wusste
German Title: Agent Null Null Nix – Bill Murray in hirnloser Mission
German Title in English: Agent Zero Zero Nothing – Bill Murray in a brainless mission

Edit: I just realized that you all are missing out on one of the best movie titles ever:

Orginal: Tremors
German: Tremors – Im Land der Raketenwürmer
Translation: Tremors – In the land of Rocket Worms

Popelmon fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jul 19, 2012

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010

Well I meant an American idiom. I'd be interested to know where the producers got the title because from some cursory Googling that usage appears to be largely British.

I'm also understanding the title to be, like, the verb usage and not an adjective.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

I like Mo' Money's German title, Meh' Geld.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

piratepilates posted:

These titles are so much better than the originals it's not even funny, I so want to watch Play Me the Song of Death and Two Glorious Scoundrels one after another.

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly is an awesome title, but it might not seem like it now since it's been so many years and parodied so often.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Lobok posted:

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly is an awesome title, but it might not seem like it now since it's been so many years and parodied so often.

It's not that the originals are bad, they're not, it's that those two titles are just so cool somehow. Right to the point but odd enough, like Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Popelmon posted:

Die Hard = Stirb Langsam (Die Slowly). That one makes sense in my opinion.
In Norway it was called Operation Skyscraper, which makes sense I guess.

quote:

For some reason many comedies got Help! in their Norwegian titles. So Airplane!: Help! We're On A Plane. Christmas Vacation: Help! We're on Christmas Vacation. This is Spinal Tap: Help! We're In The Pop Business. Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me on the other hand became Austin Powers: The Spy Who Spermed Me.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
So what did the Norwegians rename Help!?

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Didn't the Swedish do something similar with a lot of Mel Brooks' movies? After the success of The Producers, whose Swedish name translates directly as Springtime for Hitler, pretty much every Mel Brooks movie following that was named Springtime for something there. Springtime for the Sheriff for Blazing Saddles, Springtime for Frankenstein for Young Frankenstein, Springtime for Space for Spaceballs etc.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

They could have just left Die Hard's title in German

Coming soon
THE HARD

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
When I was a wee lad checking out the cinema listings, I always asked my mother what the titles meant. When I asked what Die Hard meant, she translated it as Die Heart.

The "Die" part sounded pretty cool, but the "heart" was a bit too girlish, so I skipped it on purpose when going to the video store some time later... I got Commando instead though! (My parents didn't give a gently caress what I watched)

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I always thought it was kinda funny that "Superbad" got translated as "Supercool" in Latin America. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Yodzilla posted:

So what did the Norwegians rename Help!?

Dunno, but Alien was renamed as the Eighth Passenger which is kinda cool.