Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

TEBOW 3 16 posted:

So here's a furnishing question to liven things up. I hope this is an appropriate thread to ask and if not I'll be glad to take it out.

I'm moving into a relatively new apartment for my senior year in a few weeks. It's already basically furnished and there's the couch/tables etc, but not really anything in my room suitable enough to use as a computer table and for doing homework.

I'm looking for something as compact as possible (I don't have exact measurments but the room is kind of small) yet with a couple racks or cabinets for putting cd cases/books, something like a combo desk/shelf or something and about $200-300 tops as I'm on a bit of a budget. Ikea gave me a couple good ideas but I'm wondering if goons had any input. Would something like the Micke be a good choice?

Thanks guys :)

Are you planning on moving this desk with you when you move out? Ikea is great for college furniture, but it sucks rear end when you're moving, it's heavy as poo poo and the particle board breaks pretty easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Are you planning on moving this desk with you when you move out? Ikea is great for college furniture, but it sucks rear end when you're moving, it's heavy as poo poo and the particle board breaks pretty easily.

Ideally, yes but it wouldn't be a huge thing if I couldn't. I figured I could just disassemble it and put it back in the box when I moved out.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Had a weird situation where we had to move out of our old place right away and move into a new place. I'm hanging with some family and my spouse is about to move into the apartment tomorrow after finally getting the clear Friday to move in. Electricity's set, but water's done through the city. I think we have to go into the city department in-person to turn it on.

My question is, how long will it take for the water to get turned on in the apartment? I'll definitely find out tomorrow morning at 8 when I call their office, but any guidance here would be sweet (we plan on shampooing the carpet and I would rather load it up tonight rather than tomorrow morning).

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

The water should already be connected, the part about going to the city to turn it on is to just get it put in your name and taken out of the property management's name.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

TEBOW 3 16 posted:

So here's a furnishing question to liven things up. I hope this is an appropriate thread to ask and if not I'll be glad to take it out.

I'm moving into a relatively new apartment for my senior year in a few weeks. It's already basically furnished and there's the couch/tables etc, but not really anything in my room suitable enough to use as a computer table and for doing homework.

I'm looking for something as compact as possible (I don't have exact measurments but the room is kind of small) yet with a couple racks or cabinets for putting cd cases/books, something like a combo desk/shelf or something and about $200-300 tops as I'm on a bit of a budget. Ikea gave me a couple good ideas but I'm wondering if goons had any input. Would something like the Micke be a good choice?

This is totally the right thread.

Compact as possible with shelf space, you say? Or more shelf space?

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
^^^^^^^^^^^^Oh my god, thank you for posting those!

I know I didn't ask for suggestions, but I'm looking for something just like that. So awesome!

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Ok, both of these are cool as hell and I'm gonna have to give these a look. Thanks :)

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.
Hey, does anyone know of a centralized household management guide/resource that is VERY, VERY basic? Most of what I found online is too advanced or is all mom-centric.

We're overlapping with one of the new tenants in our house, and while she's totally sweet and adorable, she is SO naive and ignorant of how things in the house/kitchen work. :psyduck: I'd just like to be able to point her to a good resource with an easy table of contents or something when I move out in two weeks. I've been teaching her the ropes, but I'm seriously worried. I've met her incoming housemates and they are just as inept.

Examples of how basic I need: Gouged a can of food open with a knife, was amazed when we demonstrated the can opener. Loaded dishwasher with cups and bowls upright and filled it with regular dish soap. I threw out her rotting fish - she was under the impression that they kept much longer than a day. There are other basic things she doesn't know/has trouble with, but luckily she asks questions and is learning pretty fast

This kind of makes me want to design and distribute a PDF how to not burn your house/apartment down guide with diagrams and poo poo for utterly clueless people starting out on their own.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
I find ehow works well enough for discovering how to do incredibly basic things, but she has to be willing to search out what she needs help with.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

Authentic You posted:

Hey, does anyone know of a centralized household management guide/resource that is VERY, VERY basic? Most of what I found online is too advanced or is all mom-centric.

We're overlapping with one of the new tenants in our house, and while she's totally sweet and adorable, she is SO naive and ignorant of how things in the house/kitchen work. :psyduck: I'd just like to be able to point her to a good resource with an easy table of contents or something when I move out in two weeks. I've been teaching her the ropes, but I'm seriously worried. I've met her incoming housemates and they are just as inept.

Examples of how basic I need: Gouged a can of food open with a knife, was amazed when we demonstrated the can opener. Loaded dishwasher with cups and bowls upright and filled it with regular dish soap. I threw out her rotting fish - she was under the impression that they kept much longer than a day. There are other basic things she doesn't know/has trouble with, but luckily she asks questions and is learning pretty fast

This kind of makes me want to design and distribute a PDF how to not burn your house/apartment down guide with diagrams and poo poo for utterly clueless people starting out on their own.
Google around for Independent Living Services resources for foster youth. In our California county we have pdfs we give to our kids to teach them basic skills they don't have parents to show them. I will try to find and link one later today.

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.

Trilineatus posted:

Google around for Independent Living Services resources for foster youth. In our California county we have pdfs we give to our kids to teach them basic skills they don't have parents to show them. I will try to find and link one later today.

Thanks! I Googled around a bit, and the places that dealt with youth talked about teaching life skills and independent living and whatnot, but none of them seemed to distribute life skills pamphlets from their site. An easy go-to guide for basics would be really nice.

Xandu posted:

I find ehow works well enough for discovering how to do incredibly basic things, but she has to be willing to search out what she needs help with.

Yeah, I looked a lot at eHow, and think the individual articles would be quite helpful, but the organization other than searching directly isn't good at all. One issue is that English is not her first language (or the first language of any of her housemates) - when she asks about stuff, it sometimes takes some interpretation on my part to figure out what she needs.

I might pull links to some of the more generalized articles together in a list for them. Namely stuff about kitchen safety, food sanitation, and house cleaning.

I guess what I really want to see is a house guide in the style of this (probably self published) cookbook called 'How to Boil Water and Other Fine Recipes' or something that I saw in a little country shop. It had an equipment index with illustrations of cookware and utensils. The recipes were for incredibly basic things, like bacon and pasta, and included an equipment list as well as an ingredients list. For bacon - 'Ingredients: Bacon. Equipment: Skillet, tongs.'

I want that, except for the rest of the house too.

Non-Player
Oct 27, 2007

Authentic You posted:

I guess what I really want to see is a house guide in the style of this (probably self published) cookbook called 'How to Boil Water and Other Fine Recipes' or something that I saw in a little country shop. It had an equipment index with illustrations of cookware and utensils. The recipes were for incredibly basic things, like bacon and pasta, and included an equipment list as well as an ingredients list. For bacon - 'Ingredients: Bacon. Equipment: Skillet, tongs.'

I want that, except for the rest of the house too.

I actually have that cookbook, if its the one from Food Network Kitchens. It's excellent. Teaches you everything about a kitchen from the ground up, then basic recipes, then more complex things building on those basics. A house guide in that style would be fantastic.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
The Unfuck Your Habitat website is a pretty good explanation of how to clean various things and more specifically, how to maintain a clean home. It's geared at people who don't have a lot of time and it breaks things down into small steps.

Also, there is the Clean Person over at the Hairpin who similarly addresses specific cleaning tasks. She did a whole month of laundry - how to sort, use a machine, fold, what needs to be hand washed, how to hand wash, etc.

The Reader's Digest Guide to Home Repair is supposed to be a really good resource for fixing things in your home, but it might be too advanced.

Dad's Own Cookbook is a cookbook I got for my granddad after my grandmother passed away, he had never even boiled an egg before - this cookbook covered a lot of very basic meals. Also, includes some kind of advanced meals, like pork chops, so it's nice in that it shows you how to advance. Very clear.

vonnegutt fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jul 18, 2012

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Moved to house buying thread!

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jul 19, 2012

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

a shameful boehner posted:

I'm looking into purchasing a house in the next year in Colorado, as apartment rents for the place where I need to be for work have increased to the point where (I think) it doesn't really make sense to not at least start building equity and get the tax advantages from owning a home.

Problem is, now I'm not sure if purchasing a home is the right idea. In my current apartment, I enjoy the advantages of a provided in-unit washer/dryer, covered garage parking, easy access to the main highway to my work, a pool, a gym, and obviously the apartment maintenance techs if poo poo breaks (like the sink did just recently). My rent has just increased to about ~33% of my monthly take home income (~$3k), so if it goes up any more next year - and I assume it will - it's time to move.

Frankly, the idea of getting myself into massive debt to finance purchasing a home scares the poo poo out of me. I have a girlfriend (that I don't currently live with), no children, no outstanding financial obligations other than some small student debt, and my job is steady. I have about $10k worth of savings, but nowhere near enough to afford 20% down given home prices in the area I'm looking (Northwest Denver/Boulder). Plus, given that if I don't have 20% down, I'm not sure a home would be any more affordable even with tax benefits if you factor in mortgage insurance, homeowner's insurance, property taxes, maintenance, HOA fees (if any), etc.

Would it be better for me to jump to another apartment and continue to rent until such time that I have a comfortable 20% - we're talking 25 or 30 thousand here, which is a LONG ways off - or should I jump in while mortgage rates remain low? I realize that they're not going to be increasing anytime soon, but missing out on a "window" to potentially get into a home is another factor for me.

I'm in a very similar financial situation as you, so here's my self-reasoning for staying a renter for the foreseeable future:

Basically, putting all your money into real estate is investing it in a very high-fluctuation market. There are no guarantees that you will come out on top- look at all the people in the past few years who got burned doing exactly this! Worst case scenario, you will get foreclosed on and lose everything.

Keeping your money liquid and paying rent allows you to withstand the ebb and flow of the real estate market. I highly suggest waiting until you have the money to pay for a down payment and then some. And yes: with factoring in insurance, maintenance and repair costs, and property taxes, often the monthly cost of owning a home far exceeds that price you would pay for rent.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

a shameful boehner posted:

I'm looking into purchasing a house in the next year in Colorado, as apartment rents for the place where I need to be for work have increased to the point where (I think) it doesn't really make sense to not at least start building equity and get the tax advantages from owning a home.
You'll probably get a better answer in BFC's house buying megathread.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Thanks a bunch! I was looking for something like that but wasn't sure where to go. Cheers. :)

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

vonnegutt posted:

The Bad Air Sponge is also supposedly good at removing old odors (not covering them up, like air fresheners).

Get a bag of potatoes instead.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Here's a fun tip:

Roaches. You will get them eventually, and if you think you won't then you're either stupid or a patient with severe retrograde amnesia caused by dementia or alcoholism. One easy way to combat the problem (aside from doing your dishes as soon as you're done cooking and eating) is to put all of your bagged snack foods (chips, pretzels, etc.) in ziploc bags as soon as they're opened.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I just moved to a large city for the first time (Houston), and I'm beginning to discover that apartment hunting may be more competitive here than I bargained for. I've sent several emails in reply to posts on craigslist for apartments that went unanswered, even though it was a professional realtor person posting them. After one of them went unanswered, I saw the same posting reposted with a higher rent - I'm guessing because after the number of replies, they figured they could get more.

On Saturday a rental company is having open house for several of their properties. I really don't know what to expect, but I guess it's possible somebody could show up the first minute with a deposit check.

What really gets me is that the company has an "apply for this property" link on their website. You have to put down your check routing number and I think it charges you a $25 application fee. The idea that they could charge you a loving application fee for an apartment you may not even get is crazy. I don't even see how it's legal. Seems like the easiest scam on the planet. Why even rent real places when you can just charge application fees to desperate people looking for a roof?

Is there something more to this, or is this one of those "welcome to the big city" type things? Should I fill out an application and buy my $25 lottery ticket for the apartment being shown this weekend? Is that even expected?

Handsome Rob
Jul 12, 2004

Fallen Rib

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Is there something more to this, or is this one of those "welcome to the big city" type things? Should I fill out an application and buy my $25 lottery ticket for the apartment being shown this weekend? Is that even expected?

No. What areas are you looking at, and what types of properties? (The giant corporate complexes in Midtown? Garage apartments in Montrose?) Rents inside the loop are skyrocketing- things are more competitive than they were even a couple years ago. But there are so many places to live in this city you can find something reasonable. Try calling the realtors instead of emailing if they list a number, any decent company should.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Handsome Rob posted:

No. What areas are you looking at, and what types of properties? (The giant corporate complexes in Midtown? Garage apartments in Montrose?) Rents inside the loop are skyrocketing- things are more competitive than they were even a couple years ago. But there are so many places to live in this city you can find something reasonable. Try calling the realtors instead of emailing if they list a number, any decent company should.

Mostly Montrose four-plexes. Yeah, I'm not referring to the whole city. Worse comes to worse, I can get in an apartment complex easy, but I hate apartment complexes.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

This is pretty standard in my experience in larger cities(Phoenix, Vegas, San Antonio). They run background/credit checks on people before they sign a lease and they cost money. They're not turning a profit on those 'application fees'. They're offsetting a cost of their business onto the prospective renter. 25 bucks is pretty cheap to be honest, many of the larger corporate run complexes will charge 50 bucks or more.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

psydude posted:

Here's a fun tip:

Roaches. You will get them eventually, and if you think you won't then you're either stupid or a patient with severe retrograde amnesia caused by dementia or alcoholism. One easy way to combat the problem (aside from doing your dishes as soon as you're done cooking and eating) is to put all of your bagged snack foods (chips, pretzels, etc.) in ziploc bags as soon as they're opened.
What kind of squalor had you been living in for you to think "keep food in sealed containers" is an amazing, innovative tip? No wonder you think roaches are inevitable, dude.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I have roommates that leave food out constantly forever and we never got roaches. What are you doing that draws them in?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I've never had roaches, either. Even when my neighbors were the slobbiest of slobs and had mice.

I guess it helped that I had roommates who cleaned for fun, but roaches most definitely are not inevitable if you keep your place averagely clean.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
Propensity of roaches really depends on what area of the country you live in. I don't think I have ever seen a cockroach in my entire life, and I've seen some pretty lovely places.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Roaches are pretty prevalent in this part of the country. I never had issues in my modern apartment complex, however in older structures (my last place and my current place) they're inevitable regardless of how clean you keep your area. Seeing one or two isn't a huge issue, because the little bastards are resilient, but cleaning your poo poo right away and not leaving out food is the best way to keep the population in check.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Yea, it's really regional. I used to live in Atlanta and even if you were super diligent and really careful, sooner or later you would get one of those giant loving bastards sneaking in somewhere and you would need to kill it with a wrench. Now I live in Boston, and I have never had a roach in any of our low-end apartments.

The only place I see them, actually, is at work. It's a really old building that sits on top of the Downtown Crossing T station. Last time the exterminator was in I chatted with him and he said that the sub-basement is horrifying, and its all he can do to keep them below the main floors.

purpleandgold
Apr 13, 2012
I'm definitely enjoying Unfuck Your Habitat, and I'm going to recommend that to my friends who are learning to maintain an apartment.

If you live in an older house or apartment, I strongly recommend This Old House as a great resource for everything. For that matter, they're awesome for new houses. My first apartment was in a run-down 1900 house that had barely been updated at all, and it had a totally different set of issues than the newer houses I'd previously lived in. Also, making friends with people who work in the home care and repair industries is a great way to learn things and know who to call if you have problems.

Ugh, roaches. I've thankfully never seen any in the places I've lived. The moths in the pantry were tons of fun- I spent a whole day sorting food and thoroughly disinfecting the pantry. And I've had mice thanks to roommates who don't understand that food should be put away and some cleaning might be nice. And ants. Hate ants. Raid Ant Killer thankfully fixes them quickly.

Ctrl_Alt_Delete
Nov 1, 2005
Quick question, maybe better suited for another thread?

I just moved half way across the country and am currently looking for a place. I don't think I can afford my own place yet, so I'm looking on Craigslist for a roommate. I've had luck in the past with it so I'm not worried about that. I'm also looking at sublets.

My problem is, I have bad credit. In the spring, I was in the low 600s, since then I have been late on payments and even had a card cancel my account. I now have a great job and steady income so this will not be an issue anymore. How can I present myself to potential landlords so they can see that I am responsible? I have excellent references and if need be, can have my parents co-sign, though I heard places will only let you do that if you are a student. What do y'all think is the best way for me to approach these when I'm looking?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I would contact potential future roommates and explain your situation, and see if you can work something out with them where your name isn't on the lease but you're listed as a resident and pay your share of the rent to the people who are on the lease. Same sort of deal as if you didn't have a credit score or proof of income. That way you won't have to go through the background check process and have time to fix your credit before you move out to your own place. Your new roomies will have more peace of mind with you not named on the lease because if they're concerned about you not paying rent on time due to your history of missed payments they know they can give you the boot without going through the legal eviction process.

Problem! fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jul 22, 2012

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Burger Crime posted:

Where did you go to get your copies of the key? I had the same problem when I moved in to my current place because the keys they gave me were cut at a hardware store that does lock work not an actual locksmith. I went to a locksmith and had new copies made using an original key as the template and then sent the bill to the landlord because he gave me lovely non working keys in the first place.

I went to a place that was just keys. I don't know if the dude was a qualified locksmith, but all his shop did was sell keys and locks. Anyway he recut the bad key for free, and now I occasionally have problems with the other key but it's okay, I'm used to it. I think it's just one of those "oh there's a knack" things.

As for the other stuff on the list- the hob knob for example, I think I'm just going to fix them and then take the money of my rent and send my landlord a note saying why.

Oh and I worked out why my room was so drafty the other day. I have sash windows with an inner section to help keep it warm and one of the inner panels is missing. Hopefully I can get this sorted before winter? We have been having a miserable summer and it gets so cold in there :(

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

~A Purely Preposterous Pussy~
Maybe this is a dumb question but is there a thread anywhere or even websites that you guys would suggest for decorating places/inspiration, etc?

I'm living on my own (no housemates, etc.) for the very first time come September, and I'm so excited to be decorating the place as according to how I want to.

The AwfulApp doesn't have a search function (I think?). That's why I'm not simply searching for the threads. I figure while I'm at work I can look at decoration inspiration between calls and be super productive. :)

john mayer
Jan 18, 2011

cuntvalet posted:

Maybe this is a dumb question but is there a thread anywhere or even websites that you guys would suggest for decorating places/inspiration, etc?

I'm living on my own (no housemates, etc.) for the very first time come September, and I'm so excited to be decorating the place as according to how I want to.

The AwfulApp doesn't have a search function (I think?). That's why I'm not simply searching for the threads. I figure while I'm at work I can look at decoration inspiration between calls and be super productive. :)

I have an app called dwelling gawker that pulls photos from different blogs and puts them all on one page. Its very convenient for discrete work browsing.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

cuntvalet posted:

ApartmentTherapy is one site. I bet there are good pages on Pinterest but I'm too :corsair: to understand it so far so you're on your own there.

Storgar
Oct 31, 2011

TEBOW 3 16 posted:

Just curious about that specific Micke table. Does anyone have any thoughts?

I've also moved into an apartment (that's not furnished) and I'm looking for a computer table/workdesk. I'm probably not as concerned with space as Tebow is.

I also have my eye on these too:
Micke Computer Desk with Addon
VALLVIK Desk

Thanks, guys!

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
It all depends on what you need and what you like. How do you work? Do you need more desk space, or is less okay? Would you use those shelves?

I've had an Ikea desk with a hutch like that, and it ultimately ended up getting taken off and used as a separate bookshelf because it wasn't really designed to fit larger monitors. It also made it kind of looming. I personally would prefer The Vallvik because it looks nicer, and unless you really need those shelves, why not go for aesthetics?

I have this one right now which is pretty compact and nicely designed, except it moves when I type (there's a review now that mentions this but it wasn't there when I bought mine :argh:).

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

Storgar posted:

Just curious about that specific Micke table. Does anyone have any thoughts?

I've also moved into an apartment (that's not furnished) and I'm looking for a computer table/workdesk. I'm probably not as concerned with space as Tebow is.

I also have my eye on these too:
Micke Computer Desk with Addon
VALLVIK Desk

Thanks, guys!

The Post Your (Actual) Desktop thread would unanimously recommend the Galant, (or Jerker if you can find one used) and so would I. It's just a simple, sturdy desk with no real flaws. MY GIRLFRIEND got the Vika Amon (?) because it was cheaper (and was good enough at the time) but is now quickly looking to replace it with a Galant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Storgar
Oct 31, 2011
Huh. I was planning on using the drawers, because I like to keep a lot of office supplies (post-it notes, paper clips, stapler, etc) at my desk. I was holding off on deciding because the corner desk seemed to be the best option but I thought it might be a bit too small for me. I also do not like the fact that the hutch needs to lean against the wall to support itself (even if I was going to do that anyway)...

The galant looks nice. It looks sturdy and it's got that standard, no frills "desk" look. I'll probably get a bookcase and stuff separate. Incidentally, there's a jerker on sale at ebay in 3 days (link), in case anyone else is looking.

I'm leaning toward the VALLVIK, Galant, and possibly Jerker at the moment. Hmm...

Wow, I'm glad I asked in here! :D