Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Alhazred posted:

Dunno, but Alien was renamed as the Eighth Passenger which is kinda cool.

What was Sunshine called, The Fifth Passenger?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
I really love it when German distributors kinda want to keep a movie's original name, but fear that the words are too hard to understand for the target audience. That's how Cradle 2 The Grave became Born 2 Die.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Role Play McMurphy posted:

Well I meant an American idiom. I'd be interested to know where the producers got the title because from some cursory Googling that usage appears to be largely British.

I'm also understanding the title to be, like, the verb usage and not an adjective.

I actually took it to be a noun. Or...whatever that is called. John McClain is a Die Hard.

I heard from someone at the time that that was a term right around when the movie came out. I doubt they would just come up with it out of the blue. The battery Die Hard had to do research too.

I don't think it has anything to do with "Old Habits Die Hard"

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009

Popelmon posted:

Original Title: Once upon a time in the West
German Title: Spiel mir das Lied vom Tod
German Title in English: Play me the Song of Death

OT but:
This makes no sense.Its also not relevant to anything.
In the original he says:Keep yor loving brother happy. In german: Play me the song of death.Then harmonica shoots Frank and before he puts the harmonica in his mouth he says: Play me the song of death. In the english version he says nothing.
The german version:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_kvd_6zx8c&t=9s
Original: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98wG4OA6iLw

Its a small detail,but it really bothered when I found out about it.

Let me tell you about the movie "God forgives..I don't" with Terrence Hill and Bud Spencer.Its violent and not funny at all.But the stars were known as funny guys in germany.So they just recut and redub the movie and call it "Zwei vom Affen gebissen" (engl. : Two guys bitten by monkeys)

This

became this:

tl;dr: German dubbing sucks.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Some serious :shepface: going on with the guy on the right here.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Reminds me of that Aaron Eckhart poster.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

DominoDancing posted:

I really love it when German distributors kinda want to keep a movie's original name, but fear that the words are too hard to understand for the target audience. That's how Cradle 2 The Grave became Born 2 Die.

The absolute worst renaming was for Banlieue 13. I'm pretty sure it was initially released here under that title, but at some point somebody decided it would run much better with as Ghettogangz: Die Hölle vor Paris (Hell at Paris).

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jul 19, 2012

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

AstroWhale posted:

Let me tell you about the movie "God forgives..I don't" with Terrence Hill and Bud Spencer.Its violent and not funny at all.But the stars were known as funny guys in germany.So they just recut and redub the movie and call it "Zwei vom Affen gebissen" (engl. : Two guys bitten by monkeys)

This

became this:

tl;dr: German dubbing sucks.

The Bud Spencer and Terence Hill movies are super popular in Germany. The dubs are AMAZING (because they are over the top ridiculous). I think they originals weren't that popular when they came out but they were HUGE in Germany and that's why they kept making them.

I try to watch all movies in their original language (with subtitles) but I will always watch these movies with the German dubs.

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Yo man, you are out of step with Imhotep!
I was always a big fan of the Polish name for the Die Hard films.

When the first part came out they just called it "Szklana Pulapka", which means "Glass trap"/"Trap made of glass" cause the movie took place in a skyscraper. And then the sequels came out and the titles made no sense whatsoever :allears:.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Young Freud posted:

This poo poo is starting to aggravate me every time I look at it.

loving two minutes, Universal. Two minutes.

Edit: Jesus, I just saw the little dude jumping down. This was made by the same design team who did that "Burj Khalifa as a lit fuze" for Mission Impossible 4, wasn't it?

You did it wrong

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Tell me you wouldn't be intrigued to see that hanging in your local cinema lobby. I dare you.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Wheany posted:

You did it wrong

I don't have much desire to see The Bourne Legacy but I would go see The Bloeugrancey in a heartbeat without knowing anything about it other than the title.

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

You're right. I totally would be intrigued.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

This movie already exists in my head and has something vaguely to do with some confidential sector of the French Foreign Legion or possibly the French Underground.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

kiimo posted:

This movie already exists in my head and has something vaguely to do with some confidential sector of the French Foreign Legion or possibly the French Underground.

False.

This movie is about corporate brainwashing set in the year 2451, and one man's quest to expose it all.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
A Creole Cajun mob movie set in 1930's New Orleans.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Gonz posted:

False.

This movie is about corporate brainwashing set in the year 2451, and one man's quest to expose it all.

That man is...

Jeremy Renner as Acarroosns

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

kiimo posted:

Gonz posted:

False.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

A Creole Cajun mob movie set in 1930's New Orleans.

Why can't it be all four?

In the 25th century, the corporate cartel, the Bloeugrancey, have taken over France, then the world, and are now working on the solar system. They're are pockets still on Earth that exist outside the Bloeugrancey, where a reactionary trend to all the glowing cyberpunk poo poo is aping an idealized, '30s, film noir lifestyle. In New Orleans, a returning French Foreign Legion vet has to work with the Resistance to prevent Cajun mob lords from selling out to the Bloeugrancey.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

An intrepid historian and his fresh-faced team find themselves on the run from an underground global surveillance network as they search for Louis XIV's lost treasure.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Supercar Gautier posted:

An intrepid historian and his fresh-faced team find themselves on the run from an underground global surveillance network as they search for Louis XIV's lost treasure.

The sequel is The Bloeugrancey II: Bloeug Harder.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Gonz posted:

The sequel is The Bloeugrancey II: Bloeug Harder.

The Bloeugrancey 2: Electric Boogaloeugrancey. :colbert:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Peanut President posted:

Starring Bloeugaloo Shrimp

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Peanut President posted:

:golfclap:

Tom Clancy's Bloeugrancey

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The Blouegrancey is not a what, Monsieur Renard. It's a who.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Somebody call Luc Besson and Jean Reno right loving now.

Le Bloeugrancey, a mash up of Leon The Professional and The Fifth Element.

How is space mobsters not a huge subgenre already?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It's already a huge hit in Picard's Holodeck Netflix account.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

kiimo posted:

It's already a huge hit in Picard's Holodeck Netflix account.

A Dixon Hill Bloeugrancey film would break all kinds of box office records.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I want to see all those movies more than I want to see TDKR and I'm inside the theater waiting for that to start in an hour.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Role Play McMurphy posted:

The heck is that supposed to be? The year evokes a wine bottle but it looks like some metallic cylinder submerged in urine.
PTA should have known better than to hire Andres Serrano to design his poster.

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

Hnnng, I would pay too much to see that. I can always use more Luc Besson and Jean Reno in my life.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

A somewhat less interesting new poster for The Dinosaur Project

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I am unhappy to report that the quality of TDKR ad campaign matches the quality of the film.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Can we please not do a TDKR derail? Here's a terrible poster to talk about instead.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jul 20, 2012

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Did that steal the whole concept from Uncle Buck?

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Forktoss posted:

Didn't the Swedish do something similar with a lot of Mel Brooks' movies? After the success of The Producers, whose Swedish name translates directly as Springtime for Hitler, pretty much every Mel Brooks movie following that was named Springtime for something there. Springtime for the Sheriff for Blazing Saddles, Springtime for Frankenstein for Young Frankenstein, Springtime for Space for Spaceballs etc.
Pretty much. All Mel Brooks films were called Springtime for X. Where X was Sheriff, Space, Frankenstein and so on. It ended with Robin Hood: Men in tights. I've heard it's because Mel Brooks found out and was pissed but I'm not sure that's true.

There was a similar bizarre thing going on with Goldie Hawn. She played the lead in The Girl from Petrovka which was translated to swedish as Tjejen från Petrovka (literally: the girl from Petrovka). Foul Play was then translated to Tjejen som visste för mycket (the girl who knew too much). Pretty much all of Hawn's film during the 70's and 80's then followed this pattern. The girl who...

Not to mention that seemingly every single thriller and horror film during the 80's and early 90's had Dödlig (lethal) in the title.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Heh, I was wondering why it looked so familiar.

I also like how Dave Foley looks like he just genuinely does not give a gently caress.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

In Uncle Buck at least they all (on the right hand side) look like they're present for the photo shoot.

Freeloaders everyone is the wrong colour/lighting. It looks like a really boring collage.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Did Dave Foley lose weight or did they just photoshop him thin?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

demolina posted:

In Uncle Buck at least they all (on the right hand side) look like they're present for the photo shoot.

Freeloaders everyone is the wrong colour/lighting. It looks like a really boring collage.

Everyone in the Freeloaders poster looks like a cardboard cut-out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

MrBling posted:

Did Dave Foley lose weight or did they just photoshop him thin?

He was definitely starting to look like a middle-aged lesbian there for a while.