Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Chicken Caesar
Feb 19, 2005

Cock a doodle don't
Fun Shoe
I wrote an App!

I wanted to record my newborn son growing up, so I wrote Photochron. It lets you take a series of photos and then joins them into a time-lapse video. Features include:
- Use a simple face outline or the previous frame to help you line up your photos
- Set up reminders for every day, week or month
- Face detection to help with photo alignment (disabled by default as it can be a bit unreliable)
- Edit the alignment for old photos using pinch/zoom/rotate

Screenshots:

Whilst I've been developing it I've been taking a photo of my son every week or so and here is the latest video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_Nr7pw-I0g . He makes a challenging test subject as keeping him still for more than a few seconds is a difficult job! I think the results are pretty good though and should be even better with a more well behaved subject :-)

It's a free download, compatible with Gingerbread upwards, so it would be great if a few Goons tried it out and let me know what they think!

Sir Chicken Caesar fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jul 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
That's an excellent idea, I wish my family had done something similar. I have no idea what I looked like growing up. You're a cool parent.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Is there a good automation app that's somewhere between Setting Profiles and Tasker in terms of complexity? SP is lacking a few context options I need but Tasker is way to entailed for the two or three little tasks I need to happen.

If SP simply had a orientation sensor for left side/right side I'd probably be able to get away with that.

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008
Swiftkey was updated for JB. It finally seems to work again. Was close to switching to Google's new JB keyboard, but guess I'll stick with Swiftkey.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

Jewce posted:

Swiftkey was updated for JB. It finally seems to work again. Was close to switching to Google's new JB keyboard, but guess I'll stick with Swiftkey.

Good to know, I've been using the JB keyboard and it's pretty drat good but Swiftkey still edges out on things like multifunction letter keys.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I have an extremely unreliable signal at my work, and because of this my phone just gobbles up the battery like crazy searching for a tower, but I leave it on anyway so that I can get texts. Is there an app that can get/send texts over wifi so I can just turn off the antenna?

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Jewce posted:

I have the same version of Swiftkey 3 on my GN and N7. For some reason the alt function of the Enter key in Talk sends the message instead of selecting emoticons. It doesn't do it on any other app as far as I can tell, and the GN is fine. Kinda bizarre.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Taffer posted:

I have an extremely unreliable signal at my work, and because of this my phone just gobbles up the battery like crazy searching for a tower, but I leave it on anyway so that I can get texts. Is there an app that can get/send texts over wifi so I can just turn off the antenna?
If you have T-Mobile you can use WIFI Calling. If you have something else, see if you can get a Femtocell, I'm sure other people in your office have unreliable signal so would appreciate it too.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Taffer posted:

If you port your number to Google Voice, you can use the app to do this. Useful when I had a class in a sub-basement.

Sir Chicken Caesar
Feb 19, 2005

Cock a doodle don't
Fun Shoe

Splizwarf posted:

That's an excellent idea, I wish my family had done something similar. I have no idea what I looked like growing up. You're a cool parent.

Thanks Splizwarf! I was heavily inspired by the rash of viral videos a year or so ago of various people recording their inevitable aging. I'm hoping to capture the market in narcissistic Android owners who want to do the same ;)

Captain Cancer
Sep 18, 2005

Teach em' young

Sir Chicken Caesar posted:

Thanks Splizwarf! I was heavily inspired by the rash of viral videos a year or so ago of various people recording their inevitable aging. I'm hoping to capture the market in narcissistic Android owners who want to do the same ;)

Downloaded and will be using to capture my sons progress from now on. I really like the concept and the reminders are a nice touch. Cheers, mate

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

The Merkinman posted:

If you have T-Mobile you can use WIFI Calling. If you have something else, see if you can get a Femtocell, I'm sure other people in your office have unreliable signal so would appreciate it too.

Sadly, Wifi calling doesn't work when you have the antenna turned off - I have no idea why, but that's just how it is. I thought that only worked for calls, and not texts anyway, though? (I actually don't have the app on my phone at the moment. I just got an unlocked GNex so obviously it wasn't installed, and I can't find an .apk for it, and it's not in the market)

Manky posted:

If you port your number to Google Voice, you can use the app to do this. Useful when I had a class in a sub-basement.

I have to use a different number for this don't I? I'll check it out anyway though, thanks.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

My friend just became a father, I think he'll love this.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I wrote an App!

I wanted to record my newborn son growing up, so I wrote Photochron.

Nicely done. I'll try it out on my daughter for awhile.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Taffer posted:

I have to use a different number for this don't I? I'll check it out anyway though, thanks.

I haven't tried it, but it's possible to port your current number over.
http://support.google.com/voice/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1065667

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful

I wrote an App!

I wanted to record my newborn son growing up, so I wrote Photochron. It lets you take a series of photos and then joins them into a time-lapse video. Features include:
- Use a simple face outline or the previous frame to help you line up your photos
- Set up reminders for every day, week or month
- Face detection to help with photo alignment (disabled by default as it can be a bit unreliable)
- Edit the alignment for old photos using pinch/zoom/rotate

Screenshots:

Whilst I've been developing it I've been taking a photo of my son every week or so and here is the latest video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_Nr7pw-I0g . He makes a challenging test subject as keeping him still for more than a few seconds is a difficult job! I think the results are pretty good though and should be even better with a more well behaved subject :-)

It's a free download, compatible with Gingerbread upwards, so it would be great if a few Goons tried it out and let me know what they think!

This is sweet. Will it work with the front-facing camera too? I totally want to use this to do a self-take photo series of growing a beard, or take a photo every day for a year.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

Just grab it out of a stock ROM on xda, like this one.

I'll grab you mine in a few hours when I get home if you still need it.

I hadn't thought of that, so I pulled browser.apk out of a VanirBean zip I had on my phone, but when I tried to install it, it failed. After tapping "install," the phone worked for a bit, then just says "X App not installed". I tried installing the app from inside EStrong's zip browser and also after extracting it,with the same results. What's going wrong? Do I just need to get it from a different ROM?

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Splizwarf posted:

Probably about 5 feet tall with embarrassing facial hair at age 3.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Taffer posted:

Sadly, Wifi calling doesn't work when you have the antenna turned off - I have no idea why, but that's just how it is. I thought that only worked for calls, and not texts anyway, though? (I actually don't have the app on my phone at the moment. I just got an unlocked GNex so obviously it wasn't installed, and I can't find an .apk for it, and it's not in the market)
It works for SMS/MMS too. You won't find a usable apk for it as it uses some very proprietary radio calls. The only way to get it is to have a phone that has it stock.

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009
My wife sends a bunch of video over MMS to family. Now that we have Gs3 its recording in 1080p which is great for us but the MMS app wont let her send that large of a video. Any tips on this?

Sir Chicken Caesar
Feb 19, 2005

Cock a doodle don't
Fun Shoe

stormrider posted:

This is sweet. Will it work with the front-facing camera too? I totally want to use this to do a self-take photo series of growing a beard, or take a photo every day for a year.

Yes, there is a switch camera option when you are taking photos. in fact I've been capturing myself everyday when I get into the office using this option, here's an example - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAUO7iPdJUM - it's a more stable video but definitely less cute :)

In fact I pushed an update today that makes it support devices with just a front facing camera a la the latest blog post on the android developer blog for getting your app ready for Jelly Bean. I'll have to test it when my shiny new Nexus 7 arrives.

Anyway thanks for all the positive feedback everyone, I appreciate it! Let me know if you find any bugs :)

Sir Chicken Caesar fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jul 19, 2012

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Nask26 posted:

My wife sends a bunch of video over MMS to family. Now that we have Gs3 its recording in 1080p which is great for us but the MMS app wont let her send that large of a video. Any tips on this?

Upload to YouTube and post to Facebook.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Nask26 posted:

Upload to youtube or change the quality settings to way low (I think some even have a MMS setting).

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Google Play Music updated to the Jelly Bean version:

-Now Playing queue that allows for queuing and reordering of currently playing music.

-New UI for navigation with transport controls on the action bar.

-New large album art view on Recent.

-Playlist art is now constructed from album art of songs in the playlist.

-New Playing widget has album art and support for thumbs up.

-Harder, better, faster, stronger. (it really says this as a change...someone at Google must've wrote this while listening to Daft Punk)

The version number is 4.3.606.

The previous version is 4.1.513 and the only change is:
-New name, new logo, same great app.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Yeah it's a nice update, specifically the Now Playing queue, which was one of those incredibly obvious features missing for forever. Actually like the Widget a bit better too, though it's not a huge change.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Edit: Yeah, it was just google's servers having issues I guess.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jul 19, 2012

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
When you flash a ROM and use Google Restore to restore your apps, does it also do app data?

If so, I won't have to use Titanium Backup anymore!

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BoyBlunder posted:

When you flash a ROM and use Google Restore to restore your apps, does it also do app data?

If so, I won't have to use Titanium Backup anymore!
In theory, yes. In practice, I'd keep Titanium around, it's a more reliable and flexible solution.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
I can't get HD Widgets to work in conjunction with Go Launcher. It keeps saying there is no room. Even on a completely blank home screen. Is this a known issue or am I just an idiot?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

I hadn't thought of that, so I pulled browser.apk out of a VanirBean zip I had on my phone, but when I tried to install it, it failed. After tapping "install," the phone worked for a bit, then just says "X App not installed". I tried installing the app from inside EStrong's zip browser and also after extracting it,with the same results. What's going wrong? Do I just need to get it from a different ROM?
I know some custom ROMs alter the browser so that's why I said stock ROM, but probably you're not putting in /system/app like you should be. In any case this is the BrowserGoogle.apk from my stock Jelly Bean.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

I know some custom ROMs alter the browser so that's why I said stock ROM, but probably you're not putting in /system/app like you should be. In any case this is the BrowserGoogle.apk from my stock Jelly Bean.

No I didn't know I needed to put it somewhere specific; I thought one would just install it like a normal apk. So I put it in that directory, but it's not showing up in my app drawer, and tapping it in ES gives a "failed to parse" error. What's the problem now?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

No I didn't know I needed to put it somewhere specific; I thought one would just install it like a normal apk. So I put it in that directory, but it's not showing up in my app drawer, and tapping it in ES gives a "failed to parse" error. What's the problem now?
There might be more to Browser than just the apk. Honestly I don't know. I'm assuming you dropped it in /system/app and restarted?

oneof3steves
Oct 25, 2007

Sgulp
I'm looking for an option for streaming music from my pc to various devices. I've tried out subsonic which works well, but before buying a license I thought I'd ask if there are any other options that I should also check out. I mainly just need it to be able to stream to a couple of old phones in various rooms in the house.

Couch Life
Aug 20, 2010

oneof3steves posted:

I'm looking for an option for streaming music from my pc to various devices. I've tried out subsonic which works well, but before buying a license I thought I'd ask if there are any other options that I should also check out. I mainly just need it to be able to stream to a couple of old phones in various rooms in the house.

Audiogalaxy worked fine for me when I used it. I didn't have any problems for a few months.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Try Google Music. It's not great, but it's streets ahead of Subsonic or Audiogalaxy.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

There might be more to Browser than just the apk. Honestly I don't know. I'm assuming you dropped it in /system/app and restarted?

I did just that. If I can't get this to work, then I guess I'll just go back to ICS browser+.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

I did just that. If I can't get this to work, then I guess I'll just go back to ICS browser+.
Not if you're on Jelly Bean you won't. ICS Browser+ requires the Browser.apk to be functional to work (even on Ice Cream Sandwich). On Jelly Bean it simply won't work at all.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Nask26 posted:

Not sure about the S3 but the S2 had a simple video editing suite that I'm pretty sure could scale/crop videos down to various sizes, among other things.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
What do you guys use for a calendar widget? I don't like having to open the calendar app just to view the events for a particular day. The best I've used is the GO calendar widget but I'm not using the GO launcher anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

nexus6 posted:

What do you guys use for a calendar widget? I don't like having to open the calendar app just to view the events for a particular day. The best I've used is the GO calendar widget but I'm not using the GO launcher anymore.

The Galaxy Note has a really fancy widget for S Note, don't know if there is a version for other devices.

• Locked thread