Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

ReelBigLizard posted:

I'm not sure there would be that much difference in power. The reason that was always given to me for dry clutches was for faster replacement while racing (you don't have to deal with draining the oil, spilling it, refilling it, etc).

That seems way more likely. The power thing is something I heard for years and took with a grain of salt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The real reason is: Ducati

FakeUsername
Dec 16, 2007
Musicians Duet Better
I had my Ninja 250 covered for about week while it rained like crazy, and apparently some ants decided that the dry covering was a nice place to make a nest. When I noticed them yesterday, they were running from the starter housing, down the frame, to the back of the bike. I washed down the insides with dish soap+water and it seemed to stop them, but now they're running on the opposite side of the frame from the back to the gas tank. Any recommendations for getting rid of an ant nest without damaging paint/electronics/etc?

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Ride it?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Even just idling for a while should trigger an earthquake/abandon ship reflex.

FakeUsername
Dec 16, 2007
Musicians Duet Better

KARMA! posted:

Ride it?

Rode it to and from campus, about 18 miles total around 55mph and they're still there. Tough motherfuckers.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Nuke the entire site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.

_Dav
Dec 24, 2008
You have to eat the queen.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

_Dav posted:

You have to eat bed the queen.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Air compressor!

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

Z3n posted:

Keep us updated on how this turns out...Hopefully you can get it covered under warranty.

If your chain breaker doesn't have an attachment/pin to flare the rivet, you can place something behind the chain and flare it with a punch. Don't overdo it though.

Welp I broke the pin on my chain breaker tool, should have read this first.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I'm currently taking my MSF class and just rode a motorcycle for the first time ever. :cool:

I've never owned a car or car insurance, so I've been a bit in the dark about how insurance works (for reference, I'm in the US).

What I understand so far is:

1. I need liability insurance. I'm legally required to have it, and I want full liability coverage. I don't want to be financially hosed if I mess up somebody's fancy BMW.

2. I don't care to insure my own motorcycle, since it'll be a cheap beginner bike anyway. Can you get full liability insurance and have zero coverage on your own bike?

3. Medical stuff. I verified with my health insurance company that they would treat a motorcycle accident as a normal medical emergency (I've heard rumors that some health insurers reject care for a motorcycle crash). So I'd have a $100 copay and an 80/20 split (I get the 20) on any stuff like rehab, surgery, etc.

Questions I still have are:
3a. Is it a good idea to get an additional medical component on my motorcycle insurance to supplement my health insurance?
3b. If somebody else is injured in a crash that is deemed my fault, is that covered by the crash liability insurance? Or do I need a medical component for that, or is there a "medical liability" addition I can get that does this?

4. How do I find out how much this would all hypothetically cost if I don't have a motorcycle yet? Progressive is asking me what kind of motorcycle I have, but I don't even want to insure the motorcycle itself, just the liability stuff.
Is there a resource for this, or can somebody give me a vague idea of how much theirs costs?

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
alnilam: see my comments below on insuring your bike. Hope this helps!

alnilam posted:

I'm currently taking my MSF class and just rode a motorcycle for the first time ever. :cool:

I've never owned a car or car insurance, so I've been a bit in the dark about how insurance works (for reference, I'm in the US).

What I understand so far is:

1. I need liability insurance. I'm legally required to have it, and I want full liability coverage. I don't want to be financially hosed if I mess up somebody's fancy BMW.
--Liability insurance is based on coverage in dollars. It is in 3 numbers. The first number is coverage for bodily injury per person, second is bodily injury per accident, and third is damage per accident in thousands of dollars. I do 50/100/50 for my Ninja 250, although the minimum required by law is much less.

2. I don't care to insure my own motorcycle, since it'll be a cheap beginner bike anyway. Can you get full liability insurance and have zero coverage on your own bike? YES

3. Medical stuff. I verified with my health insurance company that they would treat a motorcycle accident as a normal medical emergency (I've heard rumors that some health insurers reject care for a motorcycle crash). So I'd have a $100 copay and an 80/20 split (I get the 20) on any stuff like rehab, surgery, etc.
--I don't have any additional medical coverage on my insurance but it is an option.

Questions I still have are:
3a. Is it a good idea to get an additional medical component on my motorcycle insurance to supplement my health insurance?
3b. If somebody else is injured in a crash that is deemed my fault, is that covered by the crash liability insurance? Or do I need a medical component for that, or is there a "medical liability" addition I can get that does this?
--Other's injuries are covered under liability coverage. See number 1 explanation

4. How do I find out how much this would all hypothetically cost if I don't have a motorcycle yet? Progressive is asking me what kind of motorcycle I have, but I don't even want to insure the motorcycle itself, just the liability stuff.
Is there a resource for this, or can somebody give me a vague idea of how much theirs costs?
--Do a quote and make up whatever bike you're looking for. They won't need a VIN and just tell them its for a quote if they ask for it. I did this and invented an imaginary Ninja 250 for them.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?
I max out whatever personal injury insurance is available on my policy, just in case my health insurance tries to get cute.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.
My bike ('81 Honda CX500c) has gone from "going around the block fine," to "going up the block and not working" to now "can't leave the backyard."

I'm REALLY beginning to think I got hosed. The thing starts up fine. But as soon as I put it in gear, rev, and let out the clutch, the front wheel groans loudly, and then the bike stalls out. I try to push the bike in neutral with the clutch lever in and the same thing: the front wheel is so stiff and maybe rubbing (?) that it just groans loudly and is impossible to push. The groan is definitely coming form the front wheel. It makes it so the bike is unrideable. I can't even get off in first because there's so much resistance coming from the front wheel. After my bike stalls I'll start, grab the clutch lever, and all the tension immediately lets out of the frozen front wheel.

I'm kind of at my wits end. Some people said this may be a airflow problem, but I think if there is one it takes back seat to the fact that my bike won't even go anymore. I will say that I test rode the bike fine, so maybe I mounted the front wheel wrong somehow? Did I put the front brakes on wrong? It's super frustrating that the bike seemed to go from marginally rideable to unrideable in an amazing amount of time.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Get a manual and double check your work. Manuals can provide considerable ROI.

If you touched the front wheel or brake, then I think chances are good the problems it is exhibiting is related to what you did. I'm not saying this to berate you, every time something breaks on me I think "what was the last component I touched" and check my work.

Did you follow torque specs or just tighten everything down by feel? If you tightened the axle bolt on the front too much, you can pinch the spacer and the bearings can fail and that can manifest as a progressive inability for the wheel to turn.

You have an old bike that's going to have problems, once you sort them out it properly should be all good so don't get discouraged.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

alnilam posted:

Most medical insurance won't pay out if you get into a motorcycle crash without a valid license, that may be what you're thinking of.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

clutchpuck posted:

Get a manual and double check your work. Manuals can provide considerable ROI.

If you touched the front wheel or brake, then I think chances are good the problems it is exhibiting is related to what you did. I'm not saying this to berate you, every time something breaks on me I think "what was the last component I touched" and check my work.

Did you follow torque specs or just tighten everything down by feel? If you tightened the axle bolt on the front too much, you can pinch the spacer and the bearings can fail and that can manifest as a progressive inability for the wheel to turn.

You have an old bike that's going to have problems, once you sort them out it properly should be all good so don't get discouraged.

I'm at the point too where I'm assuming it's my "work" that caused this mess, haha. I very well may have tightened it up too much, so I guess the front wheel is coming back off this Saturday!

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Boru posted:

I'm at the point too where I'm assuming it's my "work" that caused this mess, haha. I very well may have tightened it up too much, so I guess the front wheel is coming back off this Saturday!

You don't need to take it off. Just loosen it and see if that works.

After you check it, go buy a torque wrench.

_Dav
Dec 24, 2008

Boru posted:

My bike ('81 Honda CX500c) has gone from "going around the block fine," to "going up the block and not working" to now "can't leave the backyard."

I'm REALLY beginning to think I got hosed. The thing starts up fine. But as soon as I put it in gear, rev, and let out the clutch, the front wheel groans loudly, and then the bike stalls out. I try to push the bike in neutral with the clutch lever in and the same thing: the front wheel is so stiff and maybe rubbing (?) that it just groans loudly and is impossible to push. The groan is definitely coming form the front wheel. It makes it so the bike is unrideable. I can't even get off in first because there's so much resistance coming from the front wheel. After my bike stalls I'll start, grab the clutch lever, and all the tension immediately lets out of the frozen front wheel.

I'm kind of at my wits end. Some people said this may be a airflow problem, but I think if there is one it takes back seat to the fact that my bike won't even go anymore. I will say that I test rode the bike fine, so maybe I mounted the front wheel wrong somehow? Did I put the front brakes on wrong? It's super frustrating that the bike seemed to go from marginally rideable to unrideable in an amazing amount of time.

Did you dismantle the brake calipers or touch the brake fluid?

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

_Dav posted:

Did you dismantle the brake calipers or touch the brake fluid?

A buddy of mine helped me bleed the front brakes a few weeks back. I've heard that a fresh bleed will make the front wheel grippy, but this is well beyond the "grippy," and more in the "frozen" category. I'll see if loosening the wheel does anything, and then its on to check out the calipers and master cylinder.

Oh also, I'm sick of using a ladder and ratchet straps to pop up my bike's front end. Is there any $40-ish dollar solution for a fork stand? I saw a few fork stands on Amazon that were that much, so I was thinking of going in for that to save hassle for next time. Are they worth it?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Boru posted:

Oh also, I'm sick of using a ladder and ratchet straps to pop up my bike's front end. Is there any $40-ish dollar solution for a fork stand? I saw a few fork stands on Amazon that were that much, so I was thinking of going in for that to save hassle for next time. Are they worth it?

Some people swear by the high end stands (Pit Bull) but I know plenty of people have been just fine with the cheap stands from harbor freight. Also check craigslist for used stands, I picked up a set (front/rear) of pit bull stands for $125.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Can you get a center stand for it?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Boru, is the brake fluid overfilled?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
I doubt you can fill a reservoir so full that putting the cap back on locks the front wheel entirely though. I usually fill my reservoirs pretty full and at that point the bladder would probably push out a good bit of the excess fluid.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
Here's something weird, Crouching Triumph hidden warning light.

This showed up while I was riding last night, not twisting the throttle crazy or anything, my GF was on the back if that accounts for anything (she weighs 135, so not bike crushing).

It would still turn on when I turned the bike on this morning but went away after a few blocks.

Before startup

After startup

Any ideas what the hell it is? I didnt see anything in the manual.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Did you check the oil? That's an oil warning light.

Depending on the bike there could be a number of reasons it comes on.

- low oil
- low oil pressure
- something fancy

Edit:
V Doh! V

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jul 20, 2012

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Bondematt posted:

Did you check the oil? That's an oil warning light.

Depending on the bike there could be a number of reasons it comes on.

- low oil
- low oil pressure
- something fancy

He's talking about the mystery light behind the face of the tach, where the 7 is supposed to be.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

Z3n posted:

Boru, is the brake fluid overfilled?

When we bled them out we refilled just right to the line, so I don't think that it's overfilled. Honestly I'm leaning towards a user error on my part when I installed the front wheel. I probably over torqued it because I'm an ogre, haha.

And I do have a centerstand on the bike. I guess I'll just have someone sit on it so the back goes down and the front wheel pops up. :)

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Tie two gallon jugs of water together and sling them over the rear seat like saddlebags. Add jugs as needed.

_Dav
Dec 24, 2008

Boru posted:

When we bled them out we refilled just right to the line, so I don't think that it's overfilled. Honestly I'm leaning towards a user error on my part when I installed the front wheel. I probably over torqued it because I'm an ogre, haha.

And I do have a centerstand on the bike. I guess I'll just have someone sit on it so the back goes down and the front wheel pops up. :)

Was it fresh brake fluid? My uncle did pretty much the same thing and spent 3* brake calipers diagnosing it. Freshly bleeding with fresh fluid sorted it, 80s ABS system wasn't exactly helpful with this.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

titanium posted:

Here's something weird, Crouching Triumph hidden warning light.

This showed up while I was riding last night, not twisting the throttle crazy or anything, my GF was on the back if that accounts for anything (she weighs 135, so not bike crushing).

It would still turn on when I turned the bike on this morning but went away after a few blocks.

Before startup

After startup

Any ideas what the hell it is? I didnt see anything in the manual.

Do other Triumphs have the same rough instruments? Try checking the manuals for them and see if it's something that isn't supposed to be on your bike but is wired up anyway? It's really weird because it's obviously painted/printed over. I'd be sort of tempted to say from your description that it's a low fuel warning but I can't see that they'd wire it up, put a bulb in, and then paint it over. Well, not *modern* Triumph, anyway.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Do other Triumphs have the same rough instruments? Try checking the manuals for them and see if it's something that isn't supposed to be on your bike but is wired up anyway? It's really weird because it's obviously painted/printed over. I'd be sort of tempted to say from your description that it's a low fuel warning but I can't see that they'd wire it up, put a bulb in, and then paint it over. Well, not *modern* Triumph, anyway.

I checked the manual and nothing shows up, I also posted on the triumph675 forums and a couple guys seem baffled by it. I might hit up an OReily and run a scanner on it to see if it actually logged it.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

titanium posted:

I checked the manual and nothing shows up, I also posted on the triumph675 forums and a couple guys seem baffled by it. I might hit up an OReily and run a scanner on it to see if it actually logged it.

Actually, stupid question - what colour is the backlight on that clock? It couldn't just be a bulb that's broken its mount or something like that?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Can you crack it open and look at the back of the face to see what was painted over?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
It looks like where an ABS light might like to live. I GIS'd pictures of the gauges and none of them have anything there, however.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

_Dav posted:

Was it fresh brake fluid? My uncle did pretty much the same thing and spent 3* brake calipers diagnosing it. Freshly bleeding with fresh fluid sorted it, 80s ABS system wasn't exactly helpful with this.

Yup, brand new out-of-bottle fluid. I'm thinking it was probably a lovely install job on my part. I'm going to take the caliper off and see if the front wheel spins: that should tell me all I need to know. Or at least point me in a good starting direction.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

Boru posted:

Yup, brand new out-of-bottle fluid. I'm thinking it was probably a lovely install job on my part. I'm going to take the caliper off and see if the front wheel spins: that should tell me all I need to know. Or at least point me in a good starting direction.

Some wheels have different sized spacers on the left and right sides, it almost sounds like you have the spacers on the wrong sides.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

Doing a little work on my '81 CX500c today. I feel like I'm innundating the boards with my ape-like attempts to actually get the drat thing out on the road. :downs: The good news is that it seems to be the caliper (and not my wheel installation) that's gumming up the front wheel. The bad news is that I can't seem to remove the caliper or the bracket...

Speedo cable is disconnected here. Both bolts for the caliper bracket are out, as well as the two bolts for the caliper itself.

At this point it should just fall right off, right?

Welp.

I rock the bike back a tiny bit, the wheel now moves freely, and the caliper moves with it.

So, uh, I guess my best course of action here is to remove the whole caliper somehow and see how the front wheel behaves without the caliper being fused to the disk. Any suggestions...?

:siren: EDIT:

Haha. So I have all the finesse of an enraged orangutan on bath salts. :btroll: I encouraged the caliper to come off with some swats with a rubber mallet, and in the process realized that I had smashed the socket to my speedo cable!

I then got the caliper off. Well. It plummeted to the ground with a resounding cascade of clanging and a heavy fume of burned brakes. Here's the naughty caliper in question.

My last bit of collateral damage came when I tried to put my bike back on its centerstand. It had already almost toppled on me once when it was on the kickstand (probably cause I kept dicking with the front wheel like the genius I am) so I figured better safe than sorry, as it's *probably* not going anywhere in a while. However, I forgot that my forcks chronically lose all their air, so as I was flailing around like a drunken bear trying to catch a salmon, I snapped my left blinker clean off! :v:

Surprisingly I'm not too upset. I think I've accepted the fact that the bike isn't going anywhere any time soon (especially because I break two things for every one thing I *fix* :downs:) so at this point I just kind of laugh it off. As usual any direction to getting my bike road worthy would be great. I'm assuming I could zip-tie/electrical tape the speedo cable back in, and fix my rear tail-light with duct tape. As for the caliper & bracket, what do you think? Bleed them again? Get new ones?

While I wait for answers from you guys and dwell on how much I'm KILLING the re-sale value of this, I'm going to "fix" my (black) seat with some white duct tape. Time to be fashionable! :gay:

I'm realizing now that this bike has gone from a "one or two questions to get her fixed" to a full on "lets bomb the thread with problems I'm having with my lovely bike!" If you guys want I could move this to it's own thread, or maybe the vintage bike thread?

Lanky_Nibz fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jul 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Where is the best place to source some touch up paint? I have some rust starting on the frame where it was scratched previously that I would like to take care of. I also just nicked my tank down to the metal with a wrench adjusting my mirrors. :mad: My local dealer wasn't much help finding touchup paint.

It's a 2002 Suzuki Bandit in Silver.

EDIT: Shipping to Canada. Colorrite won't ship to Canada. :(

Ziploc fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jul 21, 2012