Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Can I do any better than $15 + shipping a pop for the reels with the nice big film guides on them? I wrestled with my non-guide one for the last time yesterday :colbert:

Today is your lucky day.

I have one of those exact reels over, it came with the first (tiny) tank that I bought. I now have a bigger one - and thus don't need the smaller set anymore. I can ship the reel (Takes 135/120) to you for free. Just buy me some beer the next time you come to Tokyo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
New film day is the best day.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

QPZIL posted:

New film day is the best day.

lolmography film? :catstare:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
It was cheap and I was curious \/:)\/

widunder
May 2, 2002
Give a roll of Kodak Ultramax to any talentless fool and amazing poo poo comes out :unsmith:

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

nemoulette posted:

Give a roll of Kodak Ultramax to any talentless fool and amazing poo poo comes out :unsmith:

Nice! I'm not sure if pharmacies are going to stop developing/selling film but I know a few around me don't have the developing machines anymore. I saw a poor old man trying to get a roll developed at a CVS only to be turned away.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

nemoulette posted:

Dang, I might have to reconsider my stance on planning to shoot only B&W. Awesome colour in this one.

ass is my canvas
Jun 7, 2003

comin' down the street

Shaocaholica posted:

I saw a poor old man trying to get a roll developed at a CVS only to be turned away.

And with that, the world as he knew it, finally died.

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...

Shaocaholica posted:

Nice! I'm not sure if pharmacies are going to stop developing/selling film but I know a few around me don't have the developing machines anymore. I saw a poor old man trying to get a roll developed at a CVS only to be turned away.

The Walgreens by me actually advertises that they still develop 35mm on the sign outside.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Well, on the bright side, the more of a commodity that C41 processing becomes, the more it makes sense for one or two pharmacies or shops to keep their equipment running. Once you consolidate the workload it might be worthwhile from them.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

My local walmart handles 35mm still too. They'll dev your e-6 and other weird films too, they have a central location that they mail out the less cost effective films to.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

atomicthumbs posted:

Midnight, Open Space Preserve by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Acros owns. This was twelve minutes at f/8 one night after the full moon.

gently caress you

Dr. Cool posted:

Through an amazing coincidence, I got the following for free:
new gear by renburress, on Flickr

I can't wait to see the results.

and you, too. in the most tender way possible.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Mr. Despair posted:

My local walmart handles 35mm still too. They'll dev your e-6 and other weird films too, they have a central location that they mail out the less cost effective films to.
I dropped a few rolls of 120 off at a Walmart the other day, they called me back to say that they don't send out 120 anymore. Anybody else have this experience recently? I suppose it could vary by store, but that's disappointing if true. The results (and price) were very good.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

VomitOnLino posted:

Today is your lucky day.

I have one of those exact reels over, it came with the first (tiny) tank that I bought. I now have a bigger one - and thus don't need the smaller set anymore. I can ship the reel (Takes 135/120) to you for free. Just buy me some beer the next time you come to Tokyo.

Awesome, thanks! What's your email address?

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Awesome, thanks! What's your email address?

Here you go: manuel . der . kater at gmail . com

All you others: Here. Have some random assortment of cameras in a store that measures maybe 20sqm if I'm generous. It's packed with cameras and grumpy old men.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I've ranted before about a local film-only camera shop called Huemax in Archdale, NC. It's only the size of a small 1-bedroom house, but it's filled wall-to-wall, corner-to-corner with cameras. Here's one part of one wall in one room:

Humax Co. by mattbellphoto, on Flickr

Taken by a friend about a year ago.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

QPZIL posted:

I've ranted before about a local film-only camera shop called Huemax in Archdale, NC. It's only the size of a small 1-bedroom house, but it's filled wall-to-wall, corner-to-corner with cameras. Here's one part of one wall in one room:

Humax Co. by mattbellphoto, on Flickr

Taken by a friend about a year ago.

Impressive, that's just like 8 hours away from me. I have friends in Asheville, I should visit them, take photos in the mountains and take a day to go there.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

eggsovereasy posted:

Impressive, that's just like 8 hours away from me. I have friends in Asheville, I should visit them, take photos in the mountains and take a day to go there.

I'll join ya, buddy :hfive: Archdale is maybe 30 minutes away from me.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

QPZIL posted:

I'll join ya, buddy :hfive: Archdale is maybe 30 minutes away from me.

3 hours from Columbia, camera party!

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
Fun Shoe

I have my hands on my dad's old Olympus PEN-EES (really olympus? you thought that was a good name?) and it seems like the selenium meter is still rocking. I was thinking about picking up some cheap C41 film to confirm that the camera is still functioning properly.

Do you guys have any suggestions for shooting half frame? Also what's a decent scanner for handling 35/120 film these days?

widunder
May 2, 2002
drat it, got burned on the Zorki 4K. Fantastic camera to play around with... However, the shutter curtains are dragging terribly at anything slower than 1/125, so I'll have to ask for a refund and hope for a better one next time. :smith:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Welp.

I owned this Zorki 6 for a whole two hours before this happened:

Upper shutter ribbon completely tore. Thank god Fedka is good at standing behind his products so really all I'll be out is some shipping and two weeks round trip.

edit: Haha two FSU cameras with shutter problems in two posts :q:

e2: Fedka owns. Sending a replacement ASAP.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jul 18, 2012

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Miso Beno posted:

Do you guys have any suggestions for shooting half frame? Also what's a decent scanner for handling 35/120 film these days?

:hfive: Pen buddies

The best thing to do is take it everywhere and shoot everything. When you have 72 frames to go though it takes forever to get a roll done. For scanning the epson v600 is the best value ($160) and the v700 or v750 ($500/$700) are the more serious options.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Miso Beno posted:

I've got the exact same camera, the meter is even good enough to shoot slide film with. My suggestion would be to shoot little series of shots and then scan them all as one long shot. This one is from me walking to my old job one cold morning:

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Spedman posted:

I've got the exact same camera, the meter is even good enough to shoot slide film with. My suggestion would be to shoot little series of shots and then scan them all as one long shot. This one is from me walking to my old job one cold morning:

God, I still want a Pen FT w/ a 40 1.4. I'm never gonna get one :smith:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Spedman posted:

Holy poo poo this is a fantastic idea. I keep struggling with ways to burn off the last half-dozen frames in my various cameras. Thanks! And the picture(s) is/are cool!

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

pseudonordic posted:

God, I still want a Pen FT w/ a 40 1.4. I'm never gonna get one :smith:

I've got an F (with an apparently broken meter) and the 38 1.8 + 42 f/1.2. The latter basically lives on my Sony NEX.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I've got an F (with an apparently broken meter) and the 38 1.8 + 42 f/1.2. The latter basically lives on my Sony NEX.

I didn't know the 42 F/1.2 existed. Now I have something else to lust for, thanks a lot! <:mad:>

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Looks like Fuji is killing more film, Velvia 100F is discontinued in most formats and they're stopping Velvia 50 in 4x5 and 8x10 formats: http://www.petapixel.com/2012/07/19/fujifilm-discontinues-a-number-of-formats-from-the-velvia-film-lineup/

EDIT: Fuji themselves says they don't know anything about this hmmm....

alkanphel fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jul 20, 2012

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

alkanphel posted:

Looks like Fuji is killing more film, Velvia 100F is discontinued in most formats and they're stopping Velvia 50 in 4x5 and 8x10 formats: http://www.petapixel.com/2012/07/19/fujifilm-discontinues-a-number-of-formats-from-the-velvia-film-lineup/

Fujifilm UK has made announcements like this before, where they say it's true worldwide but it's in fact only for the UK. I'm all stocked up on Astia now so I may be biased, but I'd wait and see before freaking out.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

alkanphel posted:

Oh christ! I like Velvia 100f!

I am missing the boat on large format, too. God, this sucks.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

MrBlandAverage posted:

Fujifilm UK has made announcements like this before, where they say it's true worldwide but it's in fact only for the UK. I'm all stocked up on Astia now so I may be biased, but I'd wait and see before freaking out.

Yeah you're right, Fuji UK made this announcement but Fuji US is saying they have no idea about it. Let's wait and see if they clarify this up.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

If any of you have been considering dropping the extra money on Hewes reels for metal dev tanks just loving buy them. I finally broke down and got a couple for 35mm and 120. I compared them visually to my old cheapy reels and I can't really tell a difference (other than the center clips which are better on the Hewes), but they load so effortlessly. I don't get it, but worth every penny.

I tried plastic for a while, but its annoying waiting for them to be 100% bone dry. I kept having film hit some particle of water in the middle and jamming up the reel so I gave up. I do like how much faster you can fill and empty the plastic tanks though.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

eggsovereasy posted:

If any of you have been considering dropping the extra money on Hewes reels for metal dev tanks just loving buy them.
Do the Hewes stainless reels work in a plastic tank, or do I need to buy a stainless tank, too? I've been pondering them for a while.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

I don't think so, they don't fit on the spindle thing and I think without that the tank isn't light safe.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
There's nothing reasonable showing up on ebay, and as usual Freestyle's shipping charges to Canada make it not at all worth it. I remember looking around a couple of months ago and seeing reasonable prices for a kit with a tank + reels, I'll have to jump on it the next time such a deal pops up.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

There was one last week that ended up going for like $22, 2x 35mm reels and a tank but I hosed up trying to do a last second bid and ended up justing buying them from freestyle. Keep your eye out.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm sort of toying with the idea of bulk loading film. I like the idea of loading up 12 shot cans instead of having to burn through 24 or more.

Watson loaders look like they're really wasteful. They'll expose a ton of film at the end of your roll. Looks like the AP loaders might be the least wasteful of the bunch. Anyone have any experience with those?

I'm trying to imagine how bulk loading 12 shots would go. I guess I'd need to factor in a leader, plus possibly one lost frame at the end of the roll, so I guess I'd need to be loading something like 15 or 16 shots into a typical can?

I've had some people tell me that I should just do a bulk order of actual cans because of the wasteful nature of loaders, but again, I kind of like the idea of having a 12 shot can since I'm a bit less of a shutterbug when I'm not packing digital.

Curious to hear what you all have to say.

e: Steel tanks:

I've always been weirded out by steel tanks, but there's a camera shop by my house that has a bunch of used ones that I've been eyeing. I have an AP tank that I find pretty annoying, to be completely honest -- having to screw the top on is finnicky because it LOVES to crossthread and I'm pretty sure I'll have ruined its watertight seal in a few more exposures. It loves to drip and the cap is a bitch to get off if you exerted any pressure putting it on. I've seriously thought about switching to metal this time around, but it's not been a financial priority. Mainly I can't make myself visualize how to load a metal reel. I've watched it on youtube and I still can't believe that the film just aligns itself in the grooves like that all on its own. I mean I've seen it happen, I'm just not comfortable with the idea for some reason. I guess manning up and doing it would be the best way to solve this.

Hard to justify a new tank when I've already got one, but this AP one is really kind of driving me nuts. Maybe I'll get the steel one down the road and keep this as a backup.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jul 20, 2012

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Loading film on the reel is the trickiest, most annoying part of developing for me. By a long shot. Anything that makes it easier is going to encourage me to develop film more often, which is a bit of a priority considering how much exposed film is sitting in my 'fridge, slowly deteriorating. Since my shots aren't that good to start with :downs: I need to get that poo poo done. I've got pretty good plastic reels, the kind with the full-width flanges for 35mm, and they're not bad, but I've heard nothing but frustration from people with the little-flange plastic reels.

If the price is good (like, $30 for a tank + 2 reels or so) I'd be very interested in buying one at that shop of yours, Martytoof. Please PM me if you feel like buying one and sending it my way (we're both in Canuckistan).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

ExecuDork posted:

If the price is good (like, $30 for a tank + 2 reels or so) I'd be very interested in buying one at that shop of yours, Martytoof. Please PM me if you feel like buying one and sending it my way (we're both in Canuckistan).

I'm going back there next week so I'll see what's up pricewise and what you get for what. I really only just blew in and out of there because I only had a dime to put into the parking meter for like 5 minutes.