Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moola
Aug 16, 2006

mmj posted:

Too late... $20? Are they kidding me? They'd have to pay me 20 to run warriors in a competitive game in the first place. With only three in the pack that's about $6.66 per warrior on top of the original cost

Buy one pack and call up for a few free replacements due to casting problems.

Price isn't so bad now. :thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikael Kreoss
Feb 13, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Indolent Bastard posted:

Well now I have to absolutely make what I have been planning. Radio controlled bommas that are counts as bomb squigs; based on these models.

I just need to add a big goofy antenna to them and make a tankbusta boy holding the remote control.

Orkz did 9-11

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Now that I finally got Saints Row 3 off the steam sale, I feel an unspoken bond with you two on this page thus far. Too bad I haven't painted a single loving thing since I got it...

mmj
Dec 22, 2006

I've always been a bit confrontational

Moola posted:

Buy one pack and call up for a few free replacements due to casting problems.

Price isn't so bad now. :thumbsup:

I'm having a lot of trouble coming up with a reason to feel bad if I did that

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Tequila Ranger posted:

... You should understand that this is a subtle message among veteran 40K players. He is letting you know that he is willing to take all the time needed for you to learn the rules of the game.

I felt really bad the other day when I played against a guy who was still new to the game. He had a bunch of Necrons but it was a fairly disorganized list. Unfortunately I didn't know enough about Necrons at the time to really be familiar with that, and the only list I had was the one I've been showing over the last few pages. This is the same list that lost by one secondary objective (loving First Blood) to the guy who later got first place in a 26 man tournament after pulling off two flawless victories.

I tabled the poor guy. His flyers got swatted down by loota fire, his foot troops were overwhelmed by a horde of greenskins, and I want to say by the fourth round he didn't have a model left. It was then that I discovered he was a new player and was still learning how to play. I give him all the credit in the world for being such a good sport, and we talked a lot about the things that he could have done differently. I just feel terrible because had I known his situation I would have done things completely differently, or at least talked about what kind of game he was looking for.

Phyresis posted:

Don't forget, Necrons will also get the KFF save if they are close enough. (However, their vehicles do not.)

I'm pretty sure this isn't the case. KFF doesn't work on enemy models.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Do they work on allies, though?

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

raverrn posted:

Reposting -

Are Land Speeders good in the new edition? It seems that with the lower vehicle counts they'll just die way too early.

Suicide speeders are as fragile as always, but being able to turbo boost 30" and get a 4+ jink is pretty great. I think Carl and a lot of people are way too worried about vehicles being more fragile. They're not, they can die just as easily or weather just as much fire as before, except with glances now you just don't give a gently caress which means you get more turns of usefulness than you did in 5th.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'm pretty sure this isn't the case. KFF doesn't work on enemy models.

Unless an FAQ says otherwise, the codex states all models get the save.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Fix posted:

Do they work on allies, though?

Allies that aren't battle brothers are considered "enemies that you can't target" according to the rulebook. Although the KFF rules state that it works on "units within 6 inches," I'm pretty sure there's a rule about wargear not working on enemy units. Otherwise KFF would affect everyone.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

That ruling ("abilities only apply to friendly units unless clearly specified otherwise") was in the 5th edition BRB FAQ, which is now gone from GW's website. That rule doesn't actually exist in 6th edition as far as I can tell.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

mmj posted:

I'm having a lot of trouble coming up with a reason to feel bad if I did that

Not being a oval office?

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
1850 points - Mat Ward :argh:

Primary Detachment - Grey Knights

HQ

Inquisitor Coteaz - 100 points

Troops

Inquisitorial Henchmen Warband - 100 points
-2 x Jokaero Weaponsmith
-3 x Inquisitorial Servitor w/ plasma cannon

Inquisitorial Henchmen Warband - 62 points
-3 x Warrior Acolyte
-dedicated transport: Razorback (heavy bolter, psybolt ammunition)

-3 x Warrior Acolyte

-3 x Warrior Acolyte

-3 x Warrior Acolyte

Heavy Support

Dreadnought (2 x twin-linked autocannon, psybolt ammunition) - 135 points

Fortifications

Aegis Defence Line (Quad-Gun) - 100 points

subtotal: 953 points

Allied Detachment - Necrons

HQ

Destroyer Lord (sempiternal weave, mindshackle scarabs) - 160 points

Troops

5 x Necron Warriors - 165 points
-dedicated transport: Night Scythe

5 x Necron Warriors - 165 points
-dedicated transport: Night Scythe

Fast Attack

6 x Wraiths (2 x whip coil) - 230 points

Heavy Support

Doom Scythe - 175 poins

subtotal: 895 points

total: 1848 points

this list sucks but I spent literally 5 minutes on it

Phyresis fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jul 20, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Ojetor posted:

That ruling ("abilities only apply to friendly units unless clearly specified otherwise") was in the 5th edition BRB FAQ, which is now gone from GW's website. That rule doesn't actually exist in 6th edition as far as I can tell.

Huh. And I tried to do a brief scan (HAH!) of the 6th edition rulebook and couldn't find anything that opposed that. So I guess until they FAQ it away that KFF Meks are pretty loving awesome for allies. Given the prevalence of challenges I've been giving mine a burna, although I'll admit a big part of it is that I already modeled it with one.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
So even opposing players get cover from a KFF?

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Orkchat ahoy.

Getting back into 40k with 6th and all I want to do is run a giant orky green tide footslogging list.

What do you think?

code:
1000pt Orks 5th Ed (2008) Roster (Standard)
Selections:
HQ (118pts)
Warboss (118pts)
Ammo Runt (3pts), Bosspole (5pts), Cybork Body (10pts), Mega-Armour (40pts)

Elites (270pts)

Lootas (75pts)
5x Loota (75pts)

Lootas (75pts)
5x Loota (75pts)

Meganobz (120pts)
Meganob (40pts)
Twin-Linked Shoota
Meganob (40pts)
Twin-Linked Shoota
Meganob (40pts)
Twin-Linked Shoota

Troops (612pts)
Nobz (Troops) (120pts)
Nob (20pts)
Choppa, Slugga
Nob (20pts)
Choppa, Slugga
Nob (40pts)
Bosspole (5pts), Choppa, Slugga, Waagh Banner (15pts)
Nob (20pts)
Choppa, Slugga
Nob (20pts)
Choppa, Slugga

Ork Boyz (246pts)
3x Big Shoota (15pts), 30x Boy (180pts)
Nob (51pts)
'Eavy Armour (5pts), Bosspole (5pts), Power Klaw (25pts)

Ork Boyz (246pts)
3x Big Shoota (15pts)
30x Boy (180pts)
30x Shootas
Nob (51pts)
I'm going off what meager things I have already plus an AOBR set. I want to do something different because my local meta has one Ork guy with a Nob Biker set and another with a mechanized force.

Verdugo fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jul 20, 2012

ManiacMatt
Feb 28, 2007

This is not the pleasure planet I was promised!

Tequila Ranger posted:

Speaking of a quagmire, if your opponent, knowing that they are playing a first-timer, proceedes to put down one of the following:

Space Wolves: Specifically, Grey Hunters in Razorbacks + Long Fang spam
Dark Eldar: Specifically, 3 Ravagers + Venom Spam
Grey Knights: Just about anything where they take 5-6+ of the same thing

... You should understand that this is a subtle message among veteran 40K players. He is letting you know that he is willing to take all the time needed for you to learn the rules of the game. Another player might see this and think that your opponent is looking to use a tournament list to stomp a newbie to pad his w/l ratio, but thats not it at all! By putting this sort of army on the table, he or she is, in effect, saying "Hey, dude, take your time, I'm in no rush!" and you should not squander this opportunity. Look at your watch, figure out how much time you have left, and be sure to use every minute of it. You need to get everything you can out of this learning experience, so be sure to look up every rule before you use it, and ask lots of questions. Measure everything twice, carefully consider every move, and be sure to shake your dice for a long time before any roll. Finishing the game isn't primary, it isn't even secondary, in fact, the best result is that you run out of time in turn 3, shake hands and call it a tie.

I think I might be in love

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Necroooooons!

1750 Pts - Necrons Roster

Total Roster Cost: 1750

HQ: Anrakyr the Traveller (2#, 245 pts)
. . 1 Anrakyr the Traveller, 165 pts
. . . . 1 Catacomb Command Barge, 80 pts

HQ: Imotekh the Stormlord (1#, 225 pts)
. . 1 Imotekh the Stormlord, 225 pts

Troops: Warriors (11#, 245 pts)
. . 10 Warriors, 130 pts = 10 * 13
. . . . 1 Ghost Ark, 115 pts

Fast Attack: Canoptek Wraiths (6#, 220 pts)
. . 6 Canoptek Wraiths, 220 pts = 6 * 35 (base cost 35) + Whip Coil x1 10

Heavy Support: Doomsday Ark (1#, 175 pts)
. . 1 Doomsday Ark, 175 pts

Or this:

Troops: Warriors (20#, 260 pts)
. . 20 Warriors, 260 pts = 20 * 13

: Royal Court (7#, 350 pts)
. . 1 Royal Court, 0 pts
. . . . 1 Harbinger of Destruction, 55 pts = (base cost 25 + Harbinger of Destruction 10 + Solar Pulse 20)
. . . . 1 Harbinger of Destruction, 35 pts = (base cost 25 + Harbinger of Destruction 10)
. . . . 1 Harbinger of Eternity, 40 pts = (base cost 25 + Chronometron 15)
. . . . 1 Lord, 90 pts = (base cost 35 + Warscythe 10 + Mindshackle Scarabs 15 + Resurrection Orb 30)
. . . . 1 Lord, 65 pts = (base cost 35 + Resurrection Orb 30)

Heavy Support: Annihilation Barge (1#, 90 pts)
. . 1 Annihilation Barge, 90 pts

Deviant fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jul 20, 2012

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Deviant posted:

Necroooooons!

This is why every Tyranid army need to have 3x3 Hive Guard. I wouldn't even know where to start against a list like this without them.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Oh drat. both the 10 warriors need to go to 8 to accomodate the lord/tek.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

So even opposing players get cover from a KFF?

If allies get it, then so do opposing players. Both are considered enemies, but the Ork KFF rules state "all units" within six inches.

Verdugo posted:

Orkchat ahoy.

Getting back into 40k with 6th and all I want to do is run a giant orky green tide footslogging list.

What do you think?

code:
1000pt Orks 5th Ed (2008) Roster (Standard)
Selections:
HQ (118pts)
Warboss (118pts)
Ammo Runt (3pts), Bosspole (5pts), Cybork Body (10pts), Mega-Armour (40pts)
Aside from the ammo runt this is a pretty standard boss.

code:
Elites (270pts)

Lootas (75pts)
5x Loota (75pts)

Lootas (75pts)
5x Loota (75pts)
I love lootas and am a huge fan of 5 man squads. They're small enough that losing one isn't a disaster, and with the new rules you can make regroup tests until there's one guy left.

code:
Meganobz (120pts)
Meganob (40pts)
Twin-Linked Shoota
Meganob (40pts)
Twin-Linked Shoota
Meganob (40pts)
Twin-Linked Shoot
I love meganobz so I have no complaints about this unit. It's a bit small, but I think you can bolster that up by ditching the nob squad below. My main concern is going to be making sure they actually get to the enemy.

code:
Troops (612pts)
Nobz (Troops) (120pts)
Nob (20pts)
Choppa, Slugga
Nob (20pts)
Choppa, Slugga
Nob (40pts)
Bosspole (5pts), Choppa, Slugga, Waagh Banner (15pts)
Nob (20pts)
Choppa, Slugga
Nob (20pts)
Choppa, Slugga
I'm worried about this unit. You have 5 orks which translates to 10 wounds. You have no armor and are two casualties away from having to take leadership tests on a 7. It has no survivability, not real shooting capability, and even in assault they're pretty anemic compared to a squad of say 20 slugga boyz. I would personally drop this unit and use the points to get more meganobz.

code:
Ork Boyz (246pts)
3x Big Shoota (15pts), 30x Boy (180pts)
Nob (51pts)

Ork Boyz (246pts)
3x Big Shoota (15pts)
30x Boy (180pts)
30x Shootas
Nob (51pts)
These are going to be 240 points because you upgrade an ork to become an ork. So you'll have 29 boyz and then one nob.

Overall there are some minor issues but I think it's a good start. As I wrote previously I don't see that nob squad contributing much to the army. It's too small to weather any kind of attack, doesn't do enough in shooting, and is pretty anemic in assault. You also have some extra points with your 30 man boy squads that I would suggest you check out.

Even if you want to go straight footslogging I would sincerely recommend looking at something fast enough to respond to the enemy. If you don't want to go mechanized I would look at possibly stormboyz, although I still think they're a bit too expensive. Dakkajets are another fun option that give you some additional capabilities. You could also consider bikers, either nob bikers or regular bikers. If you have the points I would also consider a cheap grot squad to sit on an objective so you don't have to sacrifice one of your super expensive units to sit in the backfield.

In spite of my initial concerns I really feel that 6th edition didn't hammer orks too bad. I think a lot of it is going to depend on how you want to play and what kind of approach works for you, and that's only going to come with time and tons of games played.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Muppetjedi posted:

To the goon who wanted details of the 'cron Nihilakh scheme

Metals: Basecoat of Leadbelcher, 2 coats of Nuln oil, followed by two coats of Agrax, detail with runefang.

Gold: Balthasar base, highlight with Gehenna, wash with Agrax, detail with runefang.

Turquoise: Sotek Green base, drybrush Sink Blue, drybrush Tyrant Skull, wash with watered down Steel Legion Drab, drybrush again with Tyrant Skull, then glaze with Lamenters Yellow

I tried this but it came out much more green. It is interesting, but not really that turquoise color.

poo poo cell pic:

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

One more try:

HQ: Anrakyr the Traveller + Catacomb Command Barge(2#, 245 pts)+80 pts

Troops: 8 Warriors + Ghost Ark (219)
Troops: 8 Warriors + Ghost Ark (219)
Troops: 19 Warriors + Night Scythe (347)

: Royal Court (4#, 110 pts)
. . 1 Royal Court, 0 pts
. . . . 1 Harbinger of Destruction, 35 pts = (base cost 25 + Harbinger of Destruction 10)
. . . . 1 Harbinger of Eternity, 40 pts = (base cost 25 + Chronometron 15)

: Royal Court (4#, 205 pts)
. . 1 Royal Court, 0 pts
. . . . 1 Lord, 75 pts = (base cost 35 + Warscythe 10 + Resurrection Orb 30)

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Khorne Flakes posted:

I tried this but it came out much more green. It is interesting, but not really that turquoise color.

poo poo cell pic:

That actually looks like a really nice verdigras effect. I've been thinking of doing something like that for necrons who would work with my orks. Something like a verdigras effect on the parts that don't see a lot of movement, and then drybrush worn copper and then shiny copper on edges and surfaces that see movement.

Speaking of which, how stupid does this sound from a fluff perspective? The Necrons refer to "Severed Worlds" which are Tomb Worlds that have succumbed to some form of damage that has completely obliterated the command structure and left only the master command protocols. The idea I had was that an enterprising ork mek would have somehow managed to rewire those command protocols (probably by smacking a spanner against something sensitive) so that the Necrons considered him to be their leader. What do you guys think? Dumb?

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Speaking of which, how stupid does this sound from a fluff perspective? The Necrons refer to "Severed Worlds" which are Tomb Worlds that have succumbed to some form of damage that has completely obliterated the command structure and left only the master command protocols. The idea I had was that an enterprising ork mek would have somehow managed to rewire those command protocols (probably by smacking a spanner against something sensitive) so that the Necrons considered him to be their leader. What do you guys think? Dumb?

Yes, but not too dumb for 40k, and certainly not for Orks.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Luminous Cow posted:

Yes, but not too dumb for 40k, and certainly not for Orks.

Necrorkz are always a fun project. Nob Bikerz riding looted Canoptek Wraiths.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

In spite of my initial concerns I really feel that 6th edition didn't hammer orks too bad. I think a lot of it is going to depend on how you want to play and what kind of approach works for you, and that's only going to come with time and tons of games played.

I think this applies to all armies. And I find it really liberating because I've gone back to thinking about lists in terms of cool units and combos instead of slightly tweaking my preferred builds.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

This is great fluff for your team-up.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
I played my first game of 6th yesterday. 2000points Necrons vs crimson fists (with blood Angela allies). I stomped it home. Having 4 sets of mindshackle scarabs was a coup (overlord, destroyer lord, trazyn and Royal court lord).

I'm really loving sixth. Hammer and anvil setup was really fun. I rolled outflank on my warlord trait and had trazyn the infinite arrive with a aquad of lychguard. Which refreshingly changed up my strategy for the game. I'm sad that CCB can only move 12" in the movement phase now but it's good that they can charge I spose.

I didn't have any flyers or flyer defences and struggled with the storm raven and storm talon. I think An aegis defence line will be a given in any list I take in the future.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

PierreTheMime posted:

Necrorkz are always a fun project. Nob Bikerz riding looted Canoptek Wraiths.

Immorkal

If you want your ork/necrons to be totally fluffy, a Mek found a tomb and looted it, now he has a whole bunch of tin-boyz as allies.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Deviant posted:

One more try:

Troops: 19 Warriors + Night Scythe (347)

Night Scythes have a transport capacity of 15 models, I thought?

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Tried a few other combinations, but the simplest one to do still looks the best I think. Sotek Green base and stipple the poo poo out of it with Skink Blue on a piece of foam.

Again poo poo cell pci and there is more coverage in person:

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Sole.Sushi posted:

Night Scythes have a transport capacity of 15 models, I thought?

You're correct.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Kaysette posted:

Now that I finally got Saints Row 3 off the steam sale, I feel an unspoken bond with you two on this page thus far. Too bad I haven't painted a single loving thing since I got it...

You should have seen the SR2 thread on the lead-up to the release of 3. Every page was another goon who got their hands on SR2 because of the thread and loved it.

One of us.

mmj posted:

Too late... $20? Are they kidding me? They'd have to pay me 20 to run warriors in a competitive game in the first place. With only three in the pack that's about $6.66 per warrior on top of the original cost

See: Ogryn.

They're ~20 dollars. Each. You need 5 minimum to make a squad of them.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
So I played a game with my Valhallans tonight:

You'll see some Blood Angels way off the distance; most of the army was dropping in.

I'm still learning 6th so I'm not taking down notes for battle reports yet; it took us over 2 hours for a 1250 game. I'd hate to add on note taking and pictures to the learning experience! Long story short, it was a brutal slog where most of my infantry died, my tanks dueled his, and I was able to get by on First Blood and Slay the Warlord objectives for a victory! I did enjoy myself, but I feel like I need more guardsmen, Basilisks, and heavy weapons. My mortars did more damage than my lascannons or heavy bolters did, and those squads were also shooting every turn.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

People under-estimate mortars.

They own bones.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

SRM posted:

So I played a game with my Valhallans tonight:

You'll see some Blood Angels way off the distance; most of the army was dropping in.

I'm still learning 6th so I'm not taking down notes for battle reports yet; it took us over 2 hours for a 1250 game. I'd hate to add on note taking and pictures to the learning experience! Long story short, it was a brutal slog where most of my infantry died, my tanks dueled his, and I was able to get by on First Blood and Slay the Warlord objectives for a victory! I did enjoy myself, but I feel like I need more guardsmen, Basilisks, and heavy weapons. My mortars did more damage than my lascannons or heavy bolters did, and those squads were also shooting every turn.

That terrain set up is god awful for the blood angel player.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Big Willy Style posted:

That terrain set up is god awful for the blood angel player.

It was actually worse for me than you'd think; his stuff all deep struck really close in, and I had to move out through open ground with my infantry blobs. I got shot up in the open by his Whirlwind and Terminators, and they both did some serious damage. He also had a sniper scout squad in a tower just outside of the view of the camera, to the left. Turn 1 he dropped a drop pod right at the front left corner of my central ruin, blocking LOS for the lascannons and unleashing a squad with a Librarian and flamer in it. They torched my CCS, used Fear of the Dark on them (thanks to my banner I got to reroll that and they stayed!) and things were going well for him. I had a hard time killing them and ended up in assault with his Librarian forever. He dropped some assault Marines close to my tanks once the infantry moved up, but they had a mishap and I got to place them as far away as humanly possible, where they jumped around until I blasted the crap out of them.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Since when do drop pods block line of sight?

Smegmalicious
Mar 13, 2002

I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence.

Cassa posted:

Since when do drop pods block line of sight?

Parts of them do.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
When people glue the doors on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

So I am entered in a tournament next weekend with some special rules.

Basically, Minimum 1 troop choice, 400 point max. No HQ required, you can designate a sergeant as warlord if you don't take an HQ. No models with more than 2 wounds, or having 2+/2++ saves. You need to have the models you play, properly based, but not painted. And an In-Print Codex. They are cutting me slack on the codex, because technically the Sister's Codex isn't in print as of this month, and hasn't been for about a year.

The list I am thinking of taking is:

Ladies on the Ground

10x Battle Sisters 125
Superior as Designated Warlord

10x Battle Sisters 125
1x Flamer 5
1x Melta Bombs on Superior 5

10x Battle Sisters 125
2x Flamers 5
1x Melta Bombs on Superior 5

Does this sound solid? Any suggestions if you don't think it's a solid list?

e: I forgot, you also can't take vehicles with 34 or more points of armor when you add up the front armor, rear armor, and one side's armor.

numerrik fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jul 20, 2012

• Locked thread