Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
keet
Aug 20, 2005

Sex_Ferguson posted:

This movie had the best Stan Lee cameo of any Marvel movie, it is a glorious thing to behold.

He still shoulda felt the vibrations of the floor during the fight. :goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

penguinmambo posted:

He still shoulda felt the vibrations of the floor during the fight. :goonsay:

He's old and his circulation ain't so good anymore or something!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Another thing I liked is how it showed Peter assembling the suit. In Raimi Spiderman, he just has it magically appear.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

twistedmentat posted:

Another thing I liked is how it showed Peter assembling the suit. In Raimi Spiderman, he just has it magically appear.

After about 3 months, though. I mention in another thread that we get a pretty big gap in the first Raimi film of Peter graduating high school until the first appearance of Spider-Man that Fall. (I'm assuming, that is. The timeline of that Raimi film's main plot goes on quite a long period of time.)

In the modern Marvel Studios world, I'm sure that had the Raimi Spider-Man been made today we would have gotten either a short on the DVD release detailing the wacky antics of Peter's Summer adventure trying out different costume designs and practicing to be Spider-Man or at the very least a one-shot comic that did the same thing. I think even the first X-Men movie had a comic that was given out in theaters that sort of filled in some of the Prof. X and Magneto backstory in a non-canonical way.

Silentgoldfish
Nov 5, 2008
I wound up really liking the suit in the movie, and I didn't think I would based on posters and trailers. I liked how they showed him making it (like someone else said) and how it's almost plausible that he could make it - having the boots actully look like shoes, and the lenses be sunglass lenses.

They also didn't seem to have a problem shooting it in a way that you could see zippers, wrinkles and the like which added to the homemade feel in a way the Raimi suits never did.

ExplodingSquidx2
Oct 20, 2010

That's a DAMN fine cup of coffee.
A little off topic here...kind of.

I watched some play throughs of the new Spidey game and again I am disappointed.

I hate how ignore that the webbing needs to stick on a building and you can basically shoot into the sky to swing.

The best Spidey game (imo) has always been Ultimate Spider-Man.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultimate_Spider-Man_%28video_game%29

Why can't we get another game like this?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

ExplodingSquidx2 posted:

A little off topic here...kind of.

I watched some play throughs of the new Spidey game and again I am disappointed.

I hate how ignore that the webbing needs to stick on a building and you can basically shoot into the sky to swing.

The best Spidey game (imo) has always been Ultimate Spider-Man.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultimate_Spider-Man_%28video_game%29

Why can't we get another game like this?

I thought I was the only person who liked USM more than Spider-Man 2. I'm...I'm not alone :unsmith:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

USM had the better story and structure, Spider-Man 2 had the better sandbox.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

mind the walrus posted:

USM had the better story and structure, Spider-Man 2 had the better sandbox.

I love that they started the game with a boss fight. That was boss. And sometimes if you land in the water he'd just go "Aw man, I suck!"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TheJoker138 posted:

I thought I was the only person who liked USM more than Spider-Man 2. I'm...I'm not alone :unsmith:

I keep my original Xbox around just so I can play it once in a while.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Rhyno posted:

I keep my original Xbox around just so I can play it once in a while.

It's backwards compatible :ssh:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TheJoker138 posted:

It's backwards compatible :ssh:

Did they finally get around to that? Last time I popped it into the 360 it told me it was unsupported. Mind you that was like, 2 years ago.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Did they finally get around to that? Last time I popped it into the 360 it told me it was unsupported. Mind you that was like, 2 years ago.

I think it was added in the last batch of games that they did before announcing they weren't going to be doing anymore.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...
Why are we talking about video games?

Shards of Fate
Apr 19, 2002

They look like monsters to you?
Saw the movie yesterday, it wasn't good or bad. It just wasn't memorable. The lizard costume could have been so much better than a Mario Bros movie goomba design.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Professor Clumsy posted:

Why are we talking about video games?

Sorry boss man, tangents are hard to pull out of!

In all the hub bub over Dark Knight and the SDCC announcements I got a bit lost, have they confirmed when we'll see a sequel?

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Shards of Fate posted:

Saw the movie yesterday, it wasn't good or bad. It just wasn't memorable. The lizard costume could have been so much better than a Mario Bros movie goomba design.

Thanks for the insightful criticism rehashing the same thing several other posters have said in much greater detail.

I will never understand why this thread is so dead while the Avengers thread continues to soldier on, although I guess the subtext in Spider-Man is lot more banal and less controversial than Avengers.

Anyway, the sequel is slated for May 2, 2014, according to google.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Anyway, the sequel is slated for May 2, 2014, according to google.

Well I'm excited!

When do we start obsessing over the sequel and thereby ruining it for ourselves?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I'm just back from seeing it. Visually, it's definitely better than the previous ones. However, for adding some "realism" a la new Batman, the main antagonist couldn't be more goofy in his motivation, if he tried. And I liked the priorities the secondary background "antagonist", i.e. Captain Stacy. There's one guy, nailing just criminals, albeit a bit unorthodox, and some lizard dude tearing up half the city. Oh hey, let's chase Spiderman.

Also, not sure what the director had in mind with the 3D. Most of the movie was pretty toned down, and then bam, THREE DEE SCENE!

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Captain Stacy's motivation didn't seem that off to me, he's a by the book kind of guy and he doesn't appreciate a vigilante roaming the city and hes totally spot on when he calls out that Petes just doing it to follow a personal vendetta.

Also IIRC there isn't really conclusive proof of the lizards existence till quite far in.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Baron Bifford posted:

I'm baffled as to how you people can think that a callous, egotistical, aggressive man like Flash could suddenly transform into a nice guy just because he was impressed by somebody he saw on the news. This just doesn't happen in the real world.

It's not just some guy on the news, Spiderman showed up at their school and protected them from the rampaging evil lizard man.

I saw the movie last night and am just gonna get my initial thoughts out now without reading too many other peoples analysis beforehand.

The movie was good, strange in that it was both better and worse than the first Raimi Spiderman movie. As an overall movie I think it didn't work as well. There were a few plotlines that seemed half cooked or to be dropped halfway, and despite being well over two hours long the movie felt like it had a lot cut out of it. At the same time I really liked the more "realistic" tone (as silly as that word is to use when it comes to a film about a guy with superpowers)

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,
Joy to him who has understood,
Delight to those who have listened.

- Hávamál
Got back. Loved it a lot more than I do the Raimi films. But those have had years to fester.

I am starting to get legit MAD at how much my friends dislike this movie. I am starting to worry

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
My big problem with the movie is that it didn't offer anything substantially new over the Raimi trilogy, or even other superhero movies. The camp was turned down a notch and the actors tried to deliver more naturalistic performances but other than that it was a bland rehash. I like it less than the Raimi version because for all his version's faults (which are pointed out in retrospect by the way, when it came out it had almost universal acclaim) that movie was at least something we hadn't seen before. This one was a merely competently made superhero movie, falling squarely within genre conventions, and compelling cinema that does not make. That anyone is interested in seeing this movie a second time is a bit weird to me.

I know some will say that one should judge a movie on its own merits and not compare it to other films but I kind of think that's bullshit. When making a genre film you have to make conscious decisions to go with or against conventions to achieve certain effects, conventions which are established by other films in the genre. If the film is going to be made with those other films in mind it will also be inevitably viewed with those other films in mind.

DeathChill
Feb 28, 2005
I play by my own rules, baby.
It sounds as if Marc Webb is already fired and Sony is on the hunt for a new director. That saddens me.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Any chance the movie will still be in theaters in August? Maybe around 6th and 18th?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

DeathChill posted:

It sounds as if Marc Webb is already fired and Sony is on the hunt for a new director. That saddens me.

Where'd you hear this? I'd love to see what he can do without the shackles of the reboot story, which he really should have shed.

DeathChill
Feb 28, 2005
BadAssDigest had been saying it for awhile and now CosmicBookNews (yes, Cosmic) says the same thing. Reading the interview with Columbia Pictures President seems to imply that they're setting him up for a soft landing:

quote:

About a month or so before the premiere of the new Amazing Spider-Man movie, Cosmic Book News received word that director Marc Webb had been given his walking papers.

Meaning, that the director would not be returning on the Amazing Spider-Man sequel, which we were told had a tentative title of "Web of Spider-Man."

We were told the studio was not happy with Webb's version as it was considered to dark and mopey, and the studio wanted it to be more action packed — which is the reason why Star Trek and Transformers writers Alex Kurtzman & Roberto Orci were brought onboard.

In addition, we were told that Tarsem Singh is the current frontrunner to direct Amazing Spider-Man 2.

Now, Columbia Pictures President Doug Belgrad recently addressed the return of Marc Webb, and strongly implied that Webb would not be directing the sequel to Amazing Spider-Man.

THR asked Belgrad if Webb will be back:

THR: Will Marc Webb return to direct the sequel?

Belgrad: We'd really like him back, but there are obstacles. He has an obligation to Fox. [Webb owes Fox a post-(500) Days of Summer film.]

But that's not all, as Belgrad also said there were problems with the film:

THR: Were there any problem areas with Amazing Spider-Man?

Belgrad: Yes. The section where Rhys Ifans' character turns irrevocably into the Lizard. It took several months to figure out, and the filmmakers cut a bunch of scenes. In software parlance, it required a patch.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it but it sounds like they're setting up an excuse for why he can't do the next one.

I don't understand why he couldn't direct from a script with more action but hey, Sony knows best. :bang:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

quote:

In addition, we were told that Tarsem Singh is the current frontrunner to direct Amazing Spider-Man 2.

You can't just skip over that part.

DeathChill
Feb 28, 2005

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

You can't just skip over that part.

I have no idea who that is.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Fair enough - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iO0LYcCoeJY

I would be very interested to see someone as unconventional as Singh do this kind of work-for-hire.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I kinda like it if they have a different unconventional director choice for every future movie in the series.

Maybe give Lars Von Trier the 3rd movie since he apparently keeps casting people from the Raimi films.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Tarsem Singh? You know I was just thinking he'd be the right person to direct a Wonder Woman film if he'd go the Athenian warrior route.

But from what I've read, it's "Marc Webb may not return". And Singh's involvement is a rumor.

You know what, I wouldn't be surprised if Sony decided that they needed a "geek" director to get them the same success that The Avengers got. I can't think of a director horror story though. Bay's impossible because he's making Transformers and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Martin Campbell isn't going to be seen around a superhero movie for a while. The only director left I can think of is McG.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Is it too early to speculate on possible names for the sequel(s)? I'm going with The Spectacular Spider-Man and The Ultimate Spider-Man.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Does anyone have a screenshot of Captain Stacy's computer when Peter went to warn him about Conner? Looked like it could be an easter egg.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Coffee And Pie posted:

Is it too early to speculate on possible names for the sequel(s)? I'm going with The Spectacular Spider-Man and The Ultimate Spider-Man.
I'm thinking Spectacular followed by Avenging.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Benny the Snake posted:

I'm thinking Spectacular followed by Avenging.

Why would they use Avenging without The Avengers? Spectacular, Sensational, and Web Of are the three most likely.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

TheJoker138 posted:

Why would they use Avenging without The Avengers? Spectacular, Sensational, and Web Of are the three most likely.

Spider-Man Team-up: We throw in whatever Marvel Characters that Sony still has the rights to. I'm guessing Ghost Rider and... Well, is Men in Black 'technically' now a Marvel comic?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Colonel Whitey posted:

I like it less than the Raimi version because for all his version's faults (which are pointed out in retrospect by the way, when it came out it had almost universal acclaim)

People say this but there's a hell of a lot of room inside that "almost". Maybe I was more privy to it for whatever reason or the faults are in sharper relief now but it was definitely not universally loved when the first movie came out.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

They are shooting themselves in the foot if they do not get Marc Webb again. Saw this again last night and it's even better. Just love everything about this movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Coffee And Pie posted:

Spider-man's Pal Robbie Robertson.

• Locked thread