Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Guigui posted:

It's a real bummer Carl Sagan isn't still around. He was such a jovial fellow, but man - his command of science and his sheer public charisma would cut denialists down to ribbons.

Plus trying to slime carl sagan (as the creationists learned the hard way) was always percieved as a bit like kicking a kitten, oh sure its a lion kitten that can tear your leg from your stump and effortly beat you to death with it, but its so fluffy and likeable it just seems mean!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

dur posted:

A conservative friend of mine posted the same story, only he used a link to Nature. He thinks that because this suggests that it was warmer in the Roman and Medieval periods, that "in layman's terms, global warming is bullshit". To my dumb non-scientist brain, this is a single study to add to the pile of many; we can't use it by itself to really draw a conclusion one way or the other, like my friend really wants to do, and it certainly doesn't invalidate other climate reconstructions or instrumental data.

It's also funny to contrast his response to this paper with his comment from last week: "Finally, about claims “the science is settled” on global warming: “One thing that being a scientist has taught me is that you can never be certain about anything. You never know the truth. You can only approach it and hope to get a bit nearer to it each time. You iterate towards the truth. You don’t know it.”" (Quoting James Lovelock, and trying to suggest that since we can't know the truth, we don't have to do anything; my friend is a corporate lawyer, not a scientist.)

Science can never be certain, but this time, this time it is certain, and all that global warming business is just a bunch of baloney.
OK, so the planet used to be warmer once upon a time. What of it? Nobody has ever tried to claim the earth is warmer now than it has ever been. That doesn't change modern observations and the conclusions that can be drawn. It's a total non-sequitur of an argument.

As for science not being certain - that's essentially laypeople trying to be smart because scientists like to be pedantically accurate. No, technically we can't be 100% absolutely guaranteed certain of anything beyond mathematical axioms. But science is far more confident in its evidence-based knowledge of human-caused climate change than your friend imagines.

It really boggles the mind that some people still have trouble getting this stuff. Did news reports of the goddamn Northwest Passage opening up not make him think something was up? Is he going to be scoffing at them durned librals when the Maldives are literally underwater?

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

TACD posted:

Is he going to be scoffing at them durned librals when the Maldives are literally underwater?

He'll probably ask why the Maldives were not underwater when it was warmer 2000 years ago.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

TACD posted:

OK, so the planet used to be warmer once upon a time. What of it? Nobody has ever tried to claim the earth is warmer now than it has ever been. That doesn't change modern observations and the conclusions that can be drawn. It's a total non-sequitur of an argument.
That's more or less what I thought. Shortly after making that post, I found a recent post on realclimate.org discussing this study, and it helped clear things up for me.

quote:

As for science not being certain - that's essentially laypeople trying to be smart because scientists like to be pedantically accurate. No, technically we can't be 100% absolutely guaranteed certain of anything beyond mathematical axioms. But science is far more confident in its evidence-based knowledge of human-caused climate change than your friend imagines.
Right, and I told him as much. It was just funny (to me, at least) that one week he's all, "Science can't prove anything for sure, so global warming is a lie", and the next he's "Welp looks like science just proved global warming is bullshit!"

quote:

It really boggles the mind that some people still have trouble getting this stuff. Did news reports of the goddamn Northwest Passage opening up not make him think something was up? Is he going to be scoffing at them durned librals when the Maldives are literally underwater?
Almost certainly.

Bilal X
Aug 20, 2007

Office Thug posted:

This article raises an interesting point. It's about LFTRs but nevermind that for now: http://www.onlinetes.com/tes0712-energy-solutions.aspx

Regardless of our decisions, I think it is important to keep in mind that our solutions will need to be feasible for everyone and not just our own filthy rich selves if we hope to mitigate global emissions. Both renewables and nuclear suffer from fairly significant initial capital costs right now and this will need to be addressed before we can consider them viable replacements for fossil fuels. The biggest issue, I think, will be whether our power plants can produce the energies needed for cost-effective carbon neutral synthetic fuel production. Barring that we'll need some major breakthroughs in battery cost-effectiveness otherwise people will just keep using petroleum or coal as a feedstock for high-emission synthetic fuels.

I'm guessing this might've been already posted in the thread, but in parallel to capital costs here's a sobering look at the energy investment that would be required for a large-scale infrastructure overhaul (the blog in general is a really good overview of energy and growth by a UCSD physicist)

http://physics.ucsd.edu/do-the-math/2011/10/the-energy-trap/

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

dur posted:

A conservative friend of mine posted the same story, only he used a link to Nature. He thinks that because this suggests that it was warmer in the Roman and Medieval periods, that "in layman's terms, global warming is bullshit". To my dumb non-scientist brain, this is a single study to add to the pile of many; we can't use it by itself to really draw a conclusion one way or the other, like my friend really wants to do, and it certainly doesn't invalidate other climate reconstructions or instrumental data.

This is the main chart from that paper:

Now, the dotted red line is interesting. They inferred a linear trend which suggests that average temperatures were declining in their period of reconstruction (138bc to 1900ad). After 1900 there is an upturn in the rend, and an a subjective increase in variation. (The parsimonious explanantion for this is that changing the composition of the atmosphere changes its thermodynamic properties and more heat is retained.)

Also, 'Roman times' is wonderfully vague, seeing as the Roman Republic and Empire existed for over a thousand years. Around 0-100AD the reconstructed temperatures were higher than today, but the next several centuries were lower. One could more justifiably use that paper to claim that temperatures were lower during 'Roman times'.

edit: now that I've had time to properly digest it, that paper is probably best summarised as an examination of one source of proxy data for climate modelling.

Mr Chips fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jul 13, 2012

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!

Bilal X posted:

I'm guessing this might've been already posted in the thread, but in parallel to capital costs here's a sobering look at the energy investment that would be required for a large-scale infrastructure overhaul (the blog in general is a really good overview of energy and growth by a UCSD physicist)

http://physics.ucsd.edu/do-the-math/2011/10/the-energy-trap/

This was an incredible read, thank you. It really helped illuminate what we're up against for me.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

deptstoremook posted:

The perspective that people need to have fewer kids, as I've argued elsewhere, is very much a first-world liberal (in the bad sense) crypto-racist argument. It assumes that these people secretly want to have fewer kids, that the West can (as usual, again) be the missionaries of an enlightened way of life that we have discovered and wish to spread for the good of the less civilized. Just bein' discursive imperialists, I guess it's what we do best.

Everyone everywhere should have fewer children. How about that?

TheFuglyStik
Mar 7, 2003

Attention-starved & smugly condescending, the hipster has been deemed by
top scientists as:
"The self-important, unemployable clowns of the modern age."

Longanimitas posted:

Everyone everywhere should have fewer children. How about that?

I don't disagree with that particular statement by any stretch.

The issue gets complicated when you toss in the reality of the situation: Things like third world economies that still rely on agriculture and the massive amount of children people have an incentive to squirt out in them, religious beliefs that shun birth control, and plain ignorance of proper contraception. To say that all people in all cultures should have fewer children creeps into the borderlands of :smug: bootsraps :smug: territory.

So I do agree, but there are convincing arguments that simply making that statement isn't the end of the argument. There are factors that not all places are able to get over at the moment.

a lovely poster
Aug 5, 2011

by Pipski
Not to mention those in the third world consume a fraction of the energy that we do in the first world. It's really hard to point to the third world and pretend like their population is driving any sort of issue when you consider where the carbon in the atmosphere that's driving climate change came from.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

TACD posted:

I thought the general hypothesis amongst climate change sceptics was not that the climate wasn't changing, but the level that which humans effect that change? Outside of the sort of totally unthinking "nothing ever changes, god controls the weather" type of person.

Zelthar
Apr 15, 2004

TACD posted:

Actually it is quite important. For one thing, every Carbon spike is followed by a same steep drop off that seems to happen from some catalyst event given it's suddenness drop off to the spike.

I can't seem to find good information on what was the cause of each of the co2 drop offs in the past. Anyone know any good sources?

lapse
Jun 27, 2004

Zelthar posted:

Actually it is quite important. For one thing, every Carbon spike is followed by a same steep drop off that seems to happen from some catalyst event given it's suddenness drop off to the spike.

I can't seem to find good information on what was the cause of each of the co2 drop offs in the past. Anyone know any good sources?

That's actually a good question and I'm curious about this too. I can't think of a decent way to phrase the question in google such that the results aren't littered with more generalized stuff.

My guess would be plants.

The drop-off of the CO2 levels looks steep on a chart with 100,000 year increments (or whatever), but really that's thousands or tens of thousands of years, which I suspect is plenty of time for certain ecosystems to start favoring plants that exploit the extra CO2.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

a lovely poster posted:

Not to mention those in the third world consume a fraction of the energy that we do in the first world. It's really hard to point to the third world and pretend like their population is driving any sort of issue when you consider where the carbon in the atmosphere that's driving climate change came from.

At the same time, presumably we wish for them to have a higher standard of living and so do they. And that's going to take energy.

a lovely poster
Aug 5, 2011

by Pipski

Nevvy Z posted:

At the same time, presumably we wish for them to have a higher standard of living and so do they. And that's going to take energy.

And? I don't think you realize the sheer scale of the imablance in energy consumption for places with high birth rates versus the "first" world

We're talking orders of magnitude less. There's a lot of room for them to improve their standards of living without consuming as much as the first world, especially the countries heavily dependent on automobiles.

The bottom line is it's going to be a lot easier to reduce our own consumption than it will be to lower birth rates in the poorest countries (the ones with the highest birth rates)

It's absurd to be concerned about overpopulation when you're consuming as much as we are. The problem is overconsumption, not overpopulation, the statistics make it quite obvious.

Zelthar
Apr 15, 2004

lapse posted:

That's actually a good question and I'm curious about this too. I can't think of a decent way to phrase the question in google such that the results aren't littered with more generalized stuff.

My guess would be plants.

The drop-off of the CO2 levels looks steep on a chart with 100,000 year increments (or whatever), but really that's thousands or tens of thousands of years, which I suspect is plenty of time for certain ecosystems to start favoring plants that exploit the extra CO2.

I can understand he geologic time scale an all but the slope of increase of co2 during those times are equivalent to those of today. So the drop off would be as about as fast as we are climbing today.

If it were plants though I would expect to see a lessening of the co2 climb before a neural staged followed by then a more rapid fall. Giving the time required for plant growth to gain the abundance levels to influence. Every chart I see shows great climb followed by a equally as fast fall after "X" date.

Nevvy Z posted:

Funny thing about increasing the quality of life in 3rd world countries. Since there is no real infrastructure in most places it is a ton easier to start "green" energy programs then it is in a 1st world country. So those places would go from burning woods(worst co2 maker) to cook, eat, and light, to new generation low to none co2 energies.

So not only do you save forrest growth, but as well reduce co2 burning. Quality of life also has a huge impact on numbers of children.

Bilal X
Aug 20, 2007

Zelthar posted:

I can understand he geologic time scale an all but the slope of increase of co2 during those times are equivalent to those of today. So the drop off would be as about as fast as we are climbing today.

If it were plants though I would expect to see a lessening of the co2 climb before a neural staged followed by then a more rapid fall. Giving the time required for plant growth to gain the abundance levels to influence. Every chart I see shows great climb followed by a equally as fast fall after "X" date.

There's definitely never been anything like the current 2 ppm/year change in CO2 from long-term natural processes, though. The increase following the last deglaciation was around 2 ppm/century:

On a time scale covering the last glacial-interglacial cycles, temperature changes were basically driven by orbital variations, and CO2 concentrations were then affected in part by ocean solubility (cold water holds more CO2) and marine organic matter. If you go back all the way to the entire Cenozoic, it looks like the main drivers were volcanic outgassing and chemical weathering, with rates of about 0.0001 ppm/year (or 100 ppm per million years).

Bilal X fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jul 18, 2012

Your Sledgehammer
May 10, 2010

Don`t fall asleep, you gotta write for THUNDERDOME
Here's the latest from Bill McKibben (who's as sharp as always), and it ain't pretty:

quote:

Even if such a campaign is possible, however, we may have waited too long to start it. To make a real difference – to keep us under a temperature increase of two degrees – you'd need to change carbon pricing in Washington, and then use that victory to leverage similar shifts around the world. At this point, what happens in the U.S. is most important for how it will influence China and India, where emissions are growing fastest. (In early June, researchers concluded that China has probably under-reported its emissions by up to 20 percent.) The three numbers I've described are daunting – they may define an essentially impossible future. But at least they provide intellectual clarity about the greatest challenge humans have ever faced. We know how much we can burn, and we know who's planning to burn more. Climate change operates on a geological scale and time frame, but it's not an impersonal force of nature; the more carefully you do the math, the more thoroughly you realize that this is, at bottom, a moral issue; we have met the enemy and they is Shell.

Meanwhile the tide of numbers continues. The week after the Rio conference limped to its conclusion, Arctic sea ice hit the lowest level ever recorded for that date. Last month, on a single weekend, Tropical Storm Debby dumped more than 20 inches of rain on Florida – the earliest the season's fourth-named cyclone has ever arrived. At the same time, the largest fire in New Mexico history burned on, and the most destructive fire in Colorado's annals claimed 346 homes in Colorado Springs – breaking a record set the week before in Fort Collins. This month, scientists issued a new study concluding that global warming has dramatically increased the likelihood of severe heat and drought – days after a heat wave across the Plains and Midwest broke records that had stood since the Dust Bowl, threatening this year's harvest. You want a big number? In the course of this month, a quadrillion kernels of corn need to pollinate across the grain belt, something they can't do if temperatures remain off the charts. Just like us, our crops are adapted to the Holocene, the 11,000-year period of climatic stability we're now leaving... in the dust.

We've essentially reached the human civilization version of Donkey Kong's kill screen - there's no more game left, so we might as well just record our high score, put our initials up on the board, and call it done.

The small outside chance that remains is a full-scale revolution that completely overthrows the American corporatocracy, which ironically gets more likely as the economy gets worse (there's no doubt that climate change is already having a negative effect on the economy).

TheFuglyStik
Mar 7, 2003

top scientists as:

Your Sledgehammer posted:

The small outside chance that remains is a full-scale revolution that completely overthrows the American corporatocracy, which ironically gets more likely as the economy gets worse (there's no doubt that climate change is already having a negative effect on the economy).

This is what has driven me farther toward radical environmentalism over the past few years. I think its fairly settled that consumerism is the core problem fueling climate change and other ecological disasters. Trying to fix the problem while maintaining a consumption-focused society is trying to beat a bear to death with a big t-bone steak.

Yes, you're making an effort, but its just pissing off the bear and giving it an appetite to boot.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
The whole Holocene comment got me thinking about just what kind of effect will our current emissions have on the next glaciation period.

A quick google search seems to indicate that the prevailing theory is that we've managed to push back the coming of the next ice age by some time, but that it will come nonetheless. The whole of human civilization sprang into existence after the glaciars receded, and our whole agriculture is based off that fleeting climatic sweetspot (this being one of the reasons why dumping huge ammounts of CO2 into the atmosphere where long-term feedback loops rule is a bad idea). Whether a sizeable human populations exists in the planet or not at the point in the future where the next ice age comes is anybody's guess.

Your Sledgehammer
May 10, 2010

Honestly, that sort of thing gives me hope. Whether or not our species continues, at least we haven't hosed things up so bad that life on Earth can't continue on as it has for millions of years.

Maybe we adapt to what we've done, and maybe we don't. The good news is that life on the planet is going to keep on doing its thing.

Zelthar
Apr 15, 2004

Here's the latest from Bill McKibben (who's as sharp as always), and it ain't pretty:

We've essentially reached the human civilization version of Donkey Kong's kill screen - there's no more game left, so we might as well just record our high score, put our initials up on the board, and call it done.

I really really hate people who use weather events and call it climate. Bad science like that is the same reason why we allocate more water then the Colorado river water flows.

"When the Colorado River Compact was drafted in the 1920s, it was based on barely thirty years of streamflow records that suggested an average annual flow of 17.5 million acre-feet (21.59 km3) past Lee's Ferry.[195] Modern tree ring studies revealed that those three decades were probably the wettest in the past 500–1,200 years – and that the long-term annual flow past Lee's Ferry is probably closer to 13.5 million acre-feet (16.65 km3).[196][n 7] This has resulted in more water being allocated to river users than actually flows through the Colorado."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorado_River

Half rear end your studies and you will just make things worse.

Keep in mind even with all those fires, Colorado is also having a bumper crop of pine nuts due to the heat wave. For forest health, fire is doing Colorado a lot of good. New growth is a lot more resistant to bark beetles and new fires are a lot less intense.

I'm just saying let's keep doing this right and not spaz over current events until they can be studied in more detail.

Your Sledgehammer
May 10, 2010

He's not using weather events and calling it climate. All he's saying is that the current extreme variations we're seeing, as well as general trends (for example, we've broken an insane number of record highs and very few record lows over past decade or so, where the expected value would be roughly 50/50) are directly related to climate change, which is absolutely true. Did you read any of the stats at the beginning of the article? Also, have you done any research on how climate change affects the jet stream? If not, take a look; I found it really illuminating as well as frightening.

Zelthar
Apr 15, 2004

He's not using weather events and calling it climate. All he's saying is that the current extreme variations we're seeing, as well as general trends (for example, we've broken an insane number of record highs and very few record lows over past decade or so, where the expected value would be roughly 50/50) are directly related to climate change, which is absolutely true. Did you read any of the stats at the beginning of the article? Also, have you done any research on how climate change affects the jet stream? If not, take a look; I found it really illuminating as well as frightening.

"If the pictures of those towering wildfires in Colorado haven't convinced you, or the size of your AC bill this summer, here are some hard numbers about climate change:"

First line in the article. Today's weather = climate change

The first half of that article is just fear mongering.

That's the problem though, we are breaking 50 to 100 year old records not new records every few years(in general). Given that our records are fairly short to begin with it's not anything to dance about. On top of that, it really makes one look silly pointing that out cause all these record breaking temps this past winter/spring were caused by a cooling trend in the pacific. ( 2nd year La Nina)

Science is about explaining to people why things work the way they do. Not scaring the poo poo out of them because they are being retarded imbeciles.

But...

Like you said about Jet streams, we really need to focus more energy on how the earth moves heat around (weather). We are still extremely piss poor at it. Are the Hadley cells being effected? 30 degrees no longer the desert standard? Jet stream changes? These are all linked. Any change to the top (Hadley cell) causes bigger changes lower on the scale(our weather).

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

During the dust bowl years of the 1930's we in the US had the benefit of FDR and his cripple-rear end solid steel balls to get things like the Great Plains Shelterbelt built.

These days we're just hosed. Hope bootstraps hold soil down as well as a few million windbreak trees.

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
Surprised I didn't see this posted here.

A World without Coral Reefs with a bit of commentary by Peter Watts that turns up the vitriol to perhaps a more proportionate level.

quote:

Take Roger Bradbury very seriously. He’s no crank: coral reef specialist, heavy background in mathematical ecology, published repeatedly in Science. Chief and director of more scientific panels than you could roll a raccoon over. So when he says the coral reef ecosystem is already effectively extinct — not the Florida Keys, not the Great Barrier Reef, but the whole global system of tropical reefs everywhere; not just at risk or imperiled or endangered, but loving dead already, running brain-dead and galvanic for a few more years on nothing but sheer unsustainable inertia — you’d better listen.

Environmentalists, governments, scientists themselves — over 2,000 of them, judging by the consensus statement from the latest International Coral Reef Symposium — are just whistling past the graveyard with their Pollyanna drivel about how “concerted action” is needed to “preserve reefs for the future”. That ship has sailed, Bradbury says, and run aground on a bleached atoll somewhere. This whole “there is yet hope” mantra may be:

quote:

“less a conspiracy than a sort of institutional inertia”

but it’s bullshit all the same. The reefs are dead, they just don’t know it yet. And by mid-century all we’ll be left with is:

quote:

an algal-dominated hard ocean bottom, as the remains of the limestone reefs slowly break up, with lots of microbial life soaking up the sun’s energy by photosynthesis, few fish but lots of jellyfish grazing on the microbes. It will be slimy and look a lot like the ecosystems of the Precambrian era, which ended more than 500 million years ago and well before fish evolved. Coral reefs will be the first, but certainly not the last, major ecosystem to succumb to the Anthropocene — the new geological epoch now emerging.

We’ve killed off an entire global ecosystem. Shouldn’t somebody have to loving pay?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

RubberJohnny posted:

We’ve killed off an entire global ecosystem. Shouldn’t somebody have to loving pay?

Who should pay and how?

RichFears
Jul 20, 2012

by Choochacacko
If there were no Global Warming - we would still be in an Ice Age. Humans didn't cause any of the previous thaws - guaranteed.

I agree, global warming is a natural occurance. As the living creatures on Earth increases/explodes, more water is released from ice-deposit regions due to warm Earth.

If worldwide people do not burn fuel, wood and other substance the Earth will return back to ice-age. Everyday millions of barrel of oil/petrol is burned, millions of Tons of coal is burned, millions of Tons of wood is burned, millions of Tons of cooking and industrial gas is burned. Think, if millions of Tons of these "fire products/substance" is not burned what would be the temperature of Earth.

There must be Volcanic activity under the Glaciers and Ice-deposit regions of the world because of which world ice is melting.

Heat from big cities cannot travel more than 20 miles or 30 miles. Forget big cities heat reaching Antartica, Siberia, Alaska and other ice-deposit regions of the world.

Global warming is limited/trapped/exists in big cities only. Camp 15 miles outside a big city and you will shiver in the middle of the night.

Narbo
Feb 6, 2007
broomhead
God bless those brave coal power plant owners for keeping the new ice age at bay.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

RichFears posted:

If there were no Global Warming - we would still be in an Ice Age. Humans didn't cause any of the previous thaws - guaranteed.

I agree, global warming is a natural occurance. As the living creatures on Earth increases/explodes, more water is released from ice-deposit regions due to warm Earth.

If worldwide people do not burn fuel, wood and other substance the Earth will return back to ice-age. Everyday millions of barrel of oil/petrol is burned, millions of Tons of coal is burned, millions of Tons of wood is burned, millions of Tons of cooking and industrial gas is burned. Think, if millions of Tons of these "fire products/substance" is not burned what would be the temperature of Earth.

There must be Volcanic activity under the Glaciers and Ice-deposit regions of the world because of which world ice is melting.

Heat from big cities cannot travel more than 20 miles or 30 miles. Forget big cities heat reaching Antartica, Siberia, Alaska and other ice-deposit regions of the world.

Global warming is limited/trapped/exists in big cities only. Camp 15 miles outside a big city and you will shiver in the middle of the night.

What would be Temperture of Earth. Six? No.... ..... Seven. Think. Think about it. If you Disagree, you are not Thinking about it. I've done some reading here and as a drinker of water can claim some authority on the Subject.

#wow #woah #horyshit #germanos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24pOo5htg9E

deptstoremook
Jan 12, 2004
my mom got scared and said "you're moving with your Aunt and Uncle in Bel-Air!"
global warming not human caused confirmed by top obama advisors water fluoridation leads to evolutionary distension corroborated by top scientists disbarred from publication in academic towers fema dysgenics worldwide climate change the pictures they don't want you to see polar bear families frolicking and evolving into humans under our noses??? what is mom's weird trick that drives dentists crazy?

TheFuglyStik
Mar 7, 2003

top scientists as:

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Who should pay and how?

I think making polluting companies account for fixing the damage they do would be a great start. The same could be said of the average citizen who uses fossil fuels later down the road. But I can hear the butthurt over this from light years away.

RichFears posted:

:bahgawd::hf::downs:

If this isn't a low-effort troll, then Freep has sprung a leak.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

TheFuglyStik posted:

I think making polluting companies account for fixing the damage they do would be a great start. The same could be said of the average citizen who uses fossil fuels later down the road. But I can hear the butthurt over this from light years away.

Do you just punish the west or do you go tell the people in the developing world that since a bunch of idiots in America and Europe used cars and coal too much they can't use gas powered vehicles or coal power plants to try an claw their way out of poverty.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Narbo posted:

God bless those brave coal power plant owners for keeping the new ice age at bay.

Actually, the blame for this one falls squarely on the shoulders of the environmentalist knee-jerk movement against nuclear power. They've done more to ensure the dominance of coal than any amount of advertising by the companies that build them could ever have accomplished.

Consider that to your average person on the street, nuclear power is a scary thing, and is automatically considered equivalent to things like Chernobyl. Any reactor accident is also going to be a nuclear explosion Just Like Chernobyl because that's what happens on TV and in movies.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Do you just punish the west or do you go tell the people in the developing world that since a bunch of idiots in America and Europe used cars and coal too much they can't use gas powered vehicles or coal power plants to try an claw their way out of poverty.

We nationalize our grid here and perfect modular public works nuclear projects. Then we sell/give the technology to everyone else like a global Marshall plan. Cheap electricity for all!

TheFuglyStik
Mar 7, 2003

top scientists as:

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Do we want to solve the problem, or not solve it because we aren't willing to grow undeveloped areas in a way that won't make the problem worse?

Saying this is the biggest problem our society has ever faced, but then saying "it's too inconvenient to do anything of any real consequence, so gently caress it" wont fix it.

Its both the developing and industrialized worlds that have to make changes. No region is going to get a free pass on the effects of climate change.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

The point is you have to convince them to change, and good luck doing that from the developed world that has exploited all of the benefits of fossil fuels. Only massive outreach focused on modernizing the developed world would work, and we can't even feed all the people in Africa.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

-Troika- posted:

Actually, the blame for this one falls squarely on the shoulders of the environmentalist knee-jerk movement against nuclear power. They've done more to ensure the dominance of coal than any amount of advertising by the companies that build them could ever have accomplished.

Consider that to your average person on the street, nuclear power is a scary thing, and is automatically considered equivalent to things like Chernobyl. Any reactor accident is also going to be a nuclear explosion Just Like Chernobyl because that's what happens on TV and in movies.

I don't know if we can really place a lot of the fear of nuclear power on environmentalists. Power Plant meltdowns incur a shitload of public fear, backlash, and NIMBY attitude even without environmentalists. Even though they aren't helping with regards to nuclear power I definitely wouldn't say they've done more for coal than coal has. And the environmentalists are not responsible for the atomz scare in the media/movies, that's plain old sensationalism/selling news.

TheFuglyStik
Mar 7, 2003

top scientists as:

WoodrowSkillson posted:

The point is you have to convince them to change, and good luck doing that from the developed world that has exploited all of the benefits of fossil fuels. Only massive outreach focused on modernizing the developed world would work, and we can't even feed all the people in Africa.

I agree convincing them to change isn't feasible when we can't do it ourselves. The point is to start somewhere rather than just hand-sitting because some country, industry, or lobby might be offended. You don't stay in a burning building just because it's cold outside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
And there's plenty of oil $$$ out there to encourage the atoms = bombs mentality. The only nuclear policy most politicians have involves getting rid of weapons.

• Locked thread