Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sublimer
Sep 20, 2007
get yo' game up

Captain Shortbus posted:

Stopped by my beer store for some $2 Deschutes bombers and saw that they now have a few beers I've been looking for.

$2 Deschutes bombers!? Please tell me you bought every single one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

My name is Buck, and I'm here to fuck
Picked up a bottle of red wine barrel aged Saison Du Buff from the Stone Company Store in San Diego the other day. I think it tastes pretty drat amazing.

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

Sublimer posted:

I bought 4 Mirror Ponds and 6 Black Buttes. Stoic was $10/each, so I skipped it for now.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Captain Shortbus posted:

They had Sofie, Matilda, Juliet, and Fleur. I just saw Fleur is no longer produced, so it's on the list.

I think Fleur has kombucha tea in it or something strange like that. Its my favorite of the bunch and I'm sad they aren't making it anymore

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

lazerwolf posted:

I think Fleur has kombucha tea in it or something strange like that. Its my favorite of the bunch and I'm sad they aren't making it anymore

Fleur was also my favorite. It was just so good. I thought the light hibiscus was very good. Revolution has a slightly tart beer (Rosa maybe?) with an ASSLOAD of hibiscus and while cool, it wasn't quite the great balance like Fleur.

I think I'm going to buy a few Matilda's and try and do verticals for the next 3 years. Just because I can.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Sublimer posted:

Deschutes is cheap as gently caress in Colorado too for some reason. I routinely see $7.xx for a sixpack of their year round stuff which is a complete steal. It's on par with or cheaper than New Belgium and NBB is like 1 mile from my booze vendor of choice.

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

My wife came home from Trader Joe's with a six pack of Mission Street Pale Ale. Brewed by Firestone Walker, and $6/ 6 pack? It's definitely going in the rotation.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
I ended up picking up a Boatswain Double IPA and Boatswain American IPA from Trader Joe's. Seems to be Rhinelander/Minhasbrewery's double IPA. For $1.99, I guess you can't go wrong.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

Jack Skeleton posted:

I ended up picking up a Boatswain Double IPA and Boatswain American IPA from Trader Joe's. Seems to be Rhinelander/Minhasbrewery's double IPA. For $1.99, I guess you can't go wrong.

Boatswain has a beer at TJ's named HLV ale and goddamn if it doesn't look like it says HIV on the label. I had their IPA and thought it was pretty bad. The Mission Street stuff is great as is the Stockyard oatmeal stout. The Simpler Times pilsener is an excellent example of diacetyl.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair
Speaking of cheap beer, I found about a dozen bombers of Sculpin for $5.50 and got all excited until I realized the beer was over 8 months old (assuming their best-by date is 6 months in advance). All the stores around here have Sculpin but every single one of them have bottles from the exact same date 8 months ago. No one bought these things when they were fresh, apparently.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

RiggenBlaque posted:

Speaking of cheap beer, I found about a dozen bombers of Sculpin for $5.50 and got all excited until I realized the beer was over 8 months old (assuming their best-by date is 6 months in advance). All the stores around here have Sculpin but every single one of them have bottles from the exact same date 8 months ago. No one bought these things when they were fresh, apparently.

Living in San Diego :smug: I don't often see bottles of Sculpin much older than a few weeks. Then again, Sculpin is way overpriced and I rarely buy it at 15 bucks/6 pk.

Captain Shortbus posted:

My wife came home from Trader Joe's with a six pack of Mission Street Pale Ale. Brewed by Firestone Walker, and $6/ 6 pack? It's definitely going in the rotation.
Pale 31 is 90% Mission Street Pale Ale and 10% DBA.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Local store just got some Duvel. Anyone ever try it? I'm tempted, but wish that I could get it without the glass instead of having to pay $15 for the four bottles and glass.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Harminoff posted:

Local store just got some Duvel. Anyone ever try it? I'm tempted, but wish that I could get it without the glass instead of having to pay $15 for the four bottles and glass.

Nearly everyone who regularly posts in this thread has tried it. The gift set with that glass is actually a very good bargain since the Duvel glass is a frequently used one for me.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Harminoff posted:

Duvel is practically the exemplar of the Belgian Strong Ale style (well, to everyone other than Midorka). I'm somewhat surprised that you can't find it outside of the gift packs, though.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Phanatic posted:

Buy their loving peanut butter vodka.

You heard me.

I wish I'd known this was the go-to for everyone, I almost ordered it for the sampler but I got peach instead, shame. I enjoyed the brewpub it was packed like I expected and we spent a lot of money, but the food was good. I was a bit disappointed that the beers on-tap were all that I can get in bottles though, aside from Shelter Pale Ale and Another Pale Ale. I was hoping for something a bit more exotic. I did get to try the Black and Red though and boy is that an interesting beer. It tasted like minted robotussin in a way. I'm glad I only got it in a sampler.

The brewery is nice but it's in the midst of expansion. I saw a barrel that said, "Contained Brett" on it, in-fact I saw 4. They were plugged so I don't know if they had anything in it or what.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I thought that it was only being sold with the glass. I haven't actually stopped by the store, they just recently said that they have it available on their facebook page. They also just recently got Jolly Pumpkin E.S. Bam as well as Mikkeller I Hardcore You which I might pick up.

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

Some jerk took the last bottle of Fleur before I got there. Delirium Tremens and Nocturnum for me I guess. Matilda and Juliet are sounding mighty fine though.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Harminoff posted:

It's pretty much the same price without the glass, so just get the gift set and enjoy your free awesome tulip glass.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Captain Shortbus posted:

Some jerk took the last bottle of Fleur before I got there. Delirium Tremens and Nocturnum for me I guess. Matilda and Juliet are sounding mighty fine though.

There's a store near me that has bottles of 2010 Fleur if you don't mind some water damage to the labels. They seem to otherwise have been sitting in the cooler since they were stocked. I don't much like Fleur otherwise I would have bought them long ago.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

Schpyder posted:

It's pretty much the same price without the glass, so just get the gift set and enjoy your free awesome tulip glass.

Speaking of good gift sets and Duvel, the Ommegang one is pretty nice too. 3 big 750ml bottles and a nice glass for (from what I can remember) just slightly over the price of the 3 bottles.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
The Duvel gift set glass is beautiful. So it my Karmeliet.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

RiggenBlaque posted:

Speaking of good gift sets and Duvel, the Ommegang one is pretty nice too. 3 big 750ml bottles and a nice glass for (from what I can remember) just slightly over the price of the 3 bottles.

Is Chocolate Indulgence still around? I saw it one time in a box set, didn't have the money at the time, and have never seen it since.

Also, is it good?

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Captain Shortbus posted:

Matilda's one of my faves.

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010
Hey guys I think I'm gonna be in charge of ordering for my store's beer department, should I get all the pumpkin beers or just most of them?

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Got BRUX at the local HEB today, i know what I'm doing Saturday :woop:

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

dumptruckzzz posted:

Hey guys I think I'm gonna be in charge of ordering for my store's beer department, should I get all the pumpkin beers or just most of them?

you're trolling, yes?

if you're seriously asking and not trying to initiate a shitstorm, it's gonna depend on where you are and what your market is- craft specialty, supermarket, etc. you have a sales history to consult?

SH, if you're gonna pop that Brux, i'd recommend getting another to sit on, because i don't think the brett has really worked its magic yet.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Tonight's treat: Lost Abbey and New Belgium's Brett Beer Collab... Very little brett, comes off as a good saison and that's about it.

Speaking of, Lost Abbey is pretty foreign to me. I have no idea where to start with their stuff. Any recommendations for currently available brews? Anything special I should be looking out for (other than Red Poppy...).

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

escape artist posted:

Is Chocolate Indulgence still around? I saw it one time in a box set, didn't have the money at the time, and have never seen it since.

Also, is it good?

The beers in Ommegang's box sets always seem to be rotating, but that glass is nice. And I believe they do Chocolate Indulgence every year, so just wait until next time it's in season.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

danbanana posted:

Tonight's treat: Lost Abbey and New Belgium's Brett Beer Collab... Very little brett, comes off as a good saison and that's about it.

Speaking of, Lost Abbey is pretty foreign to me. I have no idea where to start with their stuff. Any recommendations for currently available brews? Anything special I should be looking out for (other than Red Poppy...).

I need to try the LA version of that collaboration as everybody who tries the NB version seems tremendously underwhelmed.

As for their other beers, you can't go wrong with Red Barn as a great saison - perhaps my favorite brewed in this country. Serpent's Stout is a heavy, thick bomb of an RIS that's never been lovely. Judgment Day, a quad, isn't as good as some out there but for an American quad it's decent enough. Very sweet and fruit-forward which makes it unique.

I'd also give Carnevale a whirl, but I would say you can pass on Devotion and Witch's Wit. Just my opinion. And yes, flat abbey lol, sometimes they have carb issues, though there's usually some drat good beer underneath that flatness which is becoming more and more infrequent as it is.

Also, try Angel's Share and Deliverance once, as when they're properly carbonated they're some of the finest beers you'll come across anywhere.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

wattershed posted:

Also, try Angel's Share

I've had the Bourbon and Brandy versions. I liked the Brandy well enough, but the Bourbon was underwhelming.

Thanks for the other suggestions.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Let us know what you think. I saw bottles today while I was grabbing lunch but I passed because of the $15 price tag.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

I'll probably pick up Brux and let it sit in my pantry for a while to let the Brett kick in.

Speaking of Sierra Nevada brews sitting in my pantry, I bet that Life and Limb 2 is just about ready.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I had Brux the other day and didn't think it was anything special. Bit of a bummer for me since that's the only beer with Russian River on the label that will ever make it out to CT

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

dumptruckzzz posted:

They will all sell ridiculously fast regardless of quality.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants
I say do something different: banana beer.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Putting it in the cellar?

As for serious pumpkin beer talk, they all taste extremely similar to American Amber Ales with pumpkin pie spice in them.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Angry Grimace posted:

As for serious pumpkin beer talk, they all taste extremely similar to American Amber Ales with pumpkin pie spice in them.

Well I mean, that generalization doesn't really work with the many great pumpkin porters, pumpkin stouts, and so forth.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Midorka posted:

Well I mean, that generalization doesn't really work with the many great pumpkin porters, pumpkin stouts, and so forth.

I've literally never even heard of a pumpkin porter, pumpkin stout and so forth.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

I'm going to Portland/Corvallis next week and I just don't even know what to try. I'll have most of a day in Corvallis and maybe an evening in Portland. Any suggestions for either place? I won't have a car and my hotel in Portland is near the airport, and I understand there isn't much out in that part of town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Wolfy posted:

I'm going to Portland/Corvallis next week and I just don't even know what to try. I'll have most of a day in Corvallis and maybe an evening in Portland. Any suggestions for either place? I won't have a car and my hotel in Portland is near the airport, and I understand there isn't much out in that part of town.

Block 15 in Corvallis. In Portland, take the Max (light rail) into downtown and go to the Deschutes brewpub for food and beer, then go to Bailey's Taproom afterward.