Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

hayden. posted:

I say go for it. Cats are cool and you know what you're getting into.

I emailed to see if she's still adoptable. Now I'm wondering if I should adopt on of the other kitties so she'll have a friend. This is how it starts :catstare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

Shifty Pony posted:

I emailed to see if she's still adoptable. Now I'm wondering if I should adopt on of the other kitties so she'll have a friend. This is how it starts :catstare:

Multiple cats are really nice. They entertain each other and cats are social animals. Two cats is barely more effort than one.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

hayden. posted:

Multiple cats are really nice. They entertain each other and cats are social animals. Two cats is barely more effort than one.

Until one has a bad reaction to the meds they give you for after their spay. And then she has projectile-poop-butt. For 3 days.
It was the poopocalypse.
She's better now, but, yeah :P hahahah

four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012

Shifty Pony posted:

I wouldn't know what to do if my two cats didn't have each other for entertainment. Two cats is best cat.

It can also help you resist the urge to get more cats, because you already have two that get along so well and a new one might muck up the relations (I say to myself as I eye the kittens at PetSmart).

SuzieMcAwesome
Jul 27, 2011

A lady should be two things, Classy and fabulous. Unfortunately, you my dear are neither.
I have a kitten that is about 12-16 weeks old I would guess and I swear this cat is on :catdrugs: She will run full tilt through the house bouncing off of objects. Last night she was doing this and actually ran at the door frame, jumped and clung to the door frame for a few seconds.
I am getting quickly irritated. We had some pooping issues that we resolved (she enjoyed pooping on dark fabrics. An additional box in the bathroom solved it)and we are working on biting/ scratching.
How do I calm this crack head down?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

SuzieMcAwesome posted:

I have a kitten that is about 12-16 weeks old I would guess and I swear this cat is on :catdrugs: She will run full tilt through the house bouncing off of objects. Last night she was doing this and actually ran at the door frame, jumped and clung to the door frame for a few seconds.
I am getting quickly irritated. We had some pooping issues that we resolved (she enjoyed pooping on dark fabrics. An additional box in the bathroom solved it)and we are working on biting/ scratching.
How do I calm this crack head down?

Wait two years.

Seriously, I'm sorry, but that's a kitten. My girl is about a year and a half now and she hasn't calmed down yet. The best thing you can do is get another kitten who will play with the first one and they'll tire each other out a bit... except then you also will have two little crackheads chasing each other around the house, instead of one chasing nothing.

As for the biting/scratching, two things: first, NEVER EVER not even for a minute should you or anyone else use hands or feet to play with her; second, whenever she does scratch or bite, make a high pitched yelping noise like if someone shut a puppy's tail in a car door. Make a "I'M AN ANIMAL AND THAT HURT" sort of noise. Cats don't speak human so "no" won't do poo poo, but making an "ow" sound they can recognize can be very effective.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Wait two years.

Our three year old does this. Nightly. Right down to the "leap six feet up the door frame, cling for three seconds, then drop down and run headfirst into the side of a bathtub".

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Eggplant Wizard posted:

As for the biting/scratching, two things: first, NEVER EVER not even for a minute should you or anyone else use hands or feet to play with her; second, whenever she does scratch or bite, make a high pitched yelping noise like if someone shut a puppy's tail in a car door. Make a "I'M AN ANIMAL AND THAT HURT" sort of noise. Cats don't speak human so "no" won't do poo poo, but making an "ow" sound they can recognize can be very effective.

I tried the yelp for months without my cat really giving a poo poo. Yesterday he clawed me good (hooked my thumb by accident) and I drew in my breath really sharply out of real pain. Like "sssSSTTTT!" He noticed that! He even looked ashamed for a half second.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Our three year old does this. Nightly. Right down to the "leap six feet up the door frame, cling for three seconds, then drop down and run headfirst into the side of a bathtub".

Oh, fine.

Wait two to seventeen years.

vonnegutt posted:

I tried the yelp for months without my cat really giving a poo poo. Yesterday he clawed me good (hooked my thumb by accident) and I drew in my breath really sharply out of real pain. Like "sssSSTTTT!" He noticed that! He even looked ashamed for a half second.

Thanks, I'll add this to my mental list of "don't do that dammit" noises.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Oh, fine.

Wait two to seventeen years.

Thanks, I'll add this to my mental list of "don't do that dammit" noises.
yeah, (human)hissing is pretty useful and gets your point across; see how the little fuckers like a taste of their own medicine.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

For a minute I thought you were talking about a human child.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Drink and Fight posted:

Me to, and I thought "drat, that kid must be AWESOME!"

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Apparently one of the things which has been getting in the way of Bebe's adoption for the last year has been that she's really skittish around people she doesn't know. She gets stressed when too many people are at the shelter :( however she's super affectionate to people she knows :3:.

I work from home, have a large enough apartment that I can set up a safe spot for her to hide until she's ready to come out, and don't have people over often (and if I do it is never more than one or two). I don't have a problem with waiting for the kitty to warm up to me. They are going to give me a call so we can chat, maybe she has bonded with a buddy that would lower her stress level.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Drink and Fight posted:

If she had claws, my niece would.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
I'm hoping someone can help me out with a problem that's driving me crazy. I have two cats - a male about 6 months old and a female about 3 months old. When we first brought the female home, the male hated her for the first two weeks and then got all "maternal", cleaning her and carrying her around by the scruff of the neck like a momma cat.

That passed and they became good - if somewhat exuberant - friends and companions. Last weekend I had the tom desexed, and now he's reverted to the "maternal" behaviour of grooming her and trying to carry her around again. He tries to carry her from her food bowl to their baskets and this morning he picked her up out of the litter tray and tried to carry her back to the basket.

What can I do to convince him that he's not a mother cat and that she's not his kitten? He used to run when I picked up the spray bottle but now he just drops her, moves away a bit and then tries to pick her again unless I remove her. It's driving me - and her - nuts. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I really don't want to have to lock them away from each other.

Bogwoppit
Feb 9, 2012

"Dirty little bin-goblin."

Lolie posted:

I'm hoping someone can help me out with a problem that's driving me crazy. I have two cats - a male about 6 months old and a female about 3 months old. When we first brought the female home, the male hated her for the first two weeks and then got all "maternal", cleaning her and carrying her around by the scruff of the neck like a momma cat.

That passed and they became good - if somewhat exuberant - friends and companions. Last weekend I had the tom desexed, and now he's reverted to the "maternal" behaviour of grooming her and trying to carry her around again. He tries to carry her from her food bowl to their baskets and this morning he picked her up out of the litter tray and tried to carry her back to the basket.

What can I do to convince him that he's not a mother cat and that she's not his kitten? He used to run when I picked up the spray bottle but now he just drops her, moves away a bit and then tries to pick her again unless I remove her. It's driving me - and her - nuts. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I really don't want to have to lock them away from each other.

That sounds adorable. She'll stop him if it really pisses her off, and eventually she'll just be too big. Punishment and separation sounds unnecessary.
I'd just be glad he's not giving her "other" attention

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Bogwoppit posted:

That sounds adorable. She'll stop him if it really pisses her off, and eventually she'll just be too big. Punishment and separation sounds unnecessary.
I'd just be glad he's not giving her "other" attention

Yeah, I honestly thought she'd be too big already for him to do it but apparently not. She meows when he does it, but she only very occasionally hisses at him - from the first day we got her, when she could fit in my hand, he's been totally freaked out by her hissing at him. I don't think he even knows how to hiss (he doesn't know how to meow, either, he trills).

She's the scamp. Until she arrived he didn't know that he could get up on top of the fish tank, or on the kitchen benches, or in the bathroom sink.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
My cat does the "playing with hands" thing but he seems to have learned that the rules are "no claws" and "no biting too hard". He's good that way and if he gets carried away to the point where he is biting too hard, stopping the play seems to get the point across.

And if you're not into having a cat attack your arm, I suggest the Kong Kickaroo. It's great for cats to get their aggression out. Kong seems to make pretty good pet toys in general.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Questions:

1. My almost year old cat likes to play by biting my hands. I am 100% sure she is playing and not attacking me. The problem is she generally bites too hard and sometimes, way, way too hard, so much that it really hurts. How can I teach her to not bite so drat hard? Even her softest bites are harder than I like. I don't mind that she bites at all, I just wish she did not do it so hard! Sometimes if I cry out in pain or go tssssst she will stop at once, but not always.

2. When I lay down to sleep at night, she generally tries to play bite with my hands HARD, as hard as she ever does otherwise and I never play with her then, its so painful I have to hide my hands or just push her off my bed. What the heck do I do about that?

Diogines fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jul 20, 2012

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Diogines posted:

Questions:

1. My almost year old cat likes to play by biting my hands. I am 100% sure she is playing and not attacking me. The problem is she generally bites too hard and sometimes, way, way too hard, so much that it really hurts. How can I teach her to not bite so drat hard? Even her softest bites are harder than I like. I don't mind that she bites at all, I just wish she did not do it so hard! Sometimes if I cry out in pain or go tssssst she will stop at once, but not always.

2. When I lay down to sleep at night, she generally tries to play bite with my hands HARD, as hard as she ever does otherwise and I never play with her then, its so painful I have to hide my hands or just push her off my bed. What the heck do I do about that?

First, STOP USING YOUR HANDS AS TOYS. Cats don't understand if you say "you can play with this but only gently." Do the below (from this very same page).

Eggplant Wizard posted:

vonnegutt posted:

vaginadeathgrip
Jun 18, 2003

all them bitches can't handle my sassy ass mouth
Has anyone experienced their cat just not liking the food you feed them anymore?

I've fed her Wellness going on 4 years now. I noticed my cat not eating much, like barely anything but acting totally normal. Still eating treats (just tests to see if she would eat them, not a lot), drinking water (from the shower), and generally being her normal self. It's gone on for a few days now (maybe 4), so I've been concerned something is wrong but everything else seems fine. I bought her some Friskies in that horrible gravy, and she ate the poo poo out of it. Keeps going back for more. Can cats declare they are totally over what you are feeding them and loving protest?

whiskas
May 30, 2005

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

My 5 year old does this. Jumps up the door frame up to doorknob height, then slides all the way down making the nails against chalkboard noise. Then upon landing on the ground, runs away making MRAWRRARR noises with her ears back and eyes dilated.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Lolie posted:

Hmm, this is interesting to me because my cat Grumples is always trying to bite the back of Hat's neck and I thought he was just being a bastard. He also grooms him.

I wonder if he's trying to pick him up rather than bite him... Hat's too heavy though, although he is quite small compared to Grumps.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

whiskas posted:

My 5 year old does this. Jumps up the door frame up to doorknob height, then slides all the way down making the nails against chalkboard noise. Then upon landing on the ground, runs away making MRAWRRARR noises with her ears back and eyes dilated.

Again, I'm imagining a human child doing this and it's a pretty amusingly bizarre image. Lynchian, almost.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

vaginadeathgrip posted:

Can cats declare they are totally over what you are feeding them and loving protest?

Usually it's because they aren't feeling so well in some capacity, but yes, sometimes cats are just loving over their food, and you need to find a new one. And sometimes it's temporary, and they want it back after a few days of the new food, that they loved for a little while, and now hate.

loving cats.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Meow Cadet posted:

Usually it's because they aren't feeling so well in some capacity, but yes, sometimes cats are just loving over their food, and you need to find a new one. And sometimes it's temporary, and they want it back after a few days of the new food, that they loved for a little while, and now hate.

loving cats.

My cat is doing the same thing with his Wellness, and I honestly think it's because it's higher in protein than the cheap crap I used to feed him. I think he gets full faster, and since he doesn't gobble everything in his bowl, he can snack on it throughout the day and not be so goddamn crazy about food.

I thought he didn't like it because there wasn't a feeding frenzy every morning and meowing every night (food related meowing that is), but if I monitor his bowl it all DOES get eaten and he'll get pissy if it isn't replaced.

Plus he's getting kind of chubs and is always full of energy and is a neverending poo machine, so he's obviously eating something.

vaginadeathgrip
Jun 18, 2003

all them bitches can't handle my sassy ass mouth

Meow Cadet posted:

loving cats.

Can it be weather? It got horrible and humid here which is rare. Maybe she thinks she is fat :(.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

vaginadeathgrip posted:

Has anyone experienced their cat just not liking the food you feed them anymore?

I've fed her Wellness going on 4 years now. I noticed my cat not eating much, like barely anything but acting totally normal. Still eating treats (just tests to see if she would eat them, not a lot), drinking water (from the shower), and generally being her normal self. It's gone on for a few days now (maybe 4), so I've been concerned something is wrong but everything else seems fine. I bought her some Friskies in that horrible gravy, and she ate the poo poo out of it. Keeps going back for more. Can cats declare they are totally over what you are feeding them and loving protest?

Is it a new bag? Maybe they changed the formula.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Anyone give me some insight on how much more work 2 cats are than 1?

My cat is about 11 months old, I can't know her exact age but I got her when she was around 3 months old. She is very sweet and affectionate, always follows me around.

She has not damaged a single thing in my home and is great about keeping off of the stuff I want her off of. However, when I am at work, I keep her locked in my bedroom which is CatProof(tm) as opposed to the rest of my apartment which is simply cat proof. There is nothing in my bedroom she can really destroy besides my bed. The rest of my apartment is pretty open, so I can see her, she does not try to damage anything I have exposed and if she did, I could stop her.

I keep her food, water and liter box in my bedroom.

Some days I work 11+ hours and I feel terrible keeping her locked up alone for so long. I give her lots of affection and attention when I am home, but I fear it is unfair to her.

Maintenance for my kitty is minimal. Changer her liter box twice a day, food, water, that's it. Giving her love does not count as maintenance! It is the first thing I WANT to do when I get home!

I thought about getting a second cat so she would not be stuck in my bedroom alone. Am I underestimating the amount of maintenance this will ad to my life? This was my first cat and it was all so much easier than I ever imagined it would be.

New food and water bowl. Extra liter box to clean, that's it?

What unexpected downsides of getting a second cat am I overlooking?

I got her from an animal shelter. I went to the shelter and looked over the cats till I found "the one". We went home shortly after.

Will it be easier for her to adjust to getting a younger cat? Should I try to get a young cat?

If I get a cat younger than 3 months, should I expect to have to teach her how to use a liter box? This is my first cat and she took right to using the liter box at once, not on accident all the time i've had her. My biggest concern is that I can get a second cat on a Friday night, but by Monday, i'll be at work, which means i'll have at most 2 days and 3 nights to supervise the introduction. I read the tips about this in the OP, is this as applicable to a very young cat(2-3 months?) and a young cat(11ish months?)

My bedroom has a closet about 4 foot wide by 7 feet long, I could potentially keep the kitty in there the first few days while I am at work when I can't supervise?

Thanks for your input in advance!

Diogines fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jul 21, 2012

SupahCoolX
Jul 2, 2005
Two cats are less work than 1 cat. There's a good chance they'll share the food/water bowls and litter box too (at least once they get friendly and used to each other). So it's just twice the food and potential vet expenses.

And why not let them roam freely in the house? Unless you have dangerous chemicals laying around or something, they'll be just fine. Just make sure you have a good scratching post, and they have some sort of perch to look out the window.

Don't keep any cat in a 4x7 closet for any length of time.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Went to shelter to look at cats and consider getting another.

An old cat purred and meowed at me as I went by, felt bad to see a 10 year old cat in a shelter so I went to pet her.

Demon spawn sunk her fangs into my hand as hard as she could. Serious blood lost. Stayed calm, resisted urge to slam her hard into the wall, very careful to detach her without hurting her, but she hurt me plenty. In hospital now, may need stitches.

Pretty much been stabbed.

Plans to get another cat on pause.

Thread title accurately describes cats.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jul 21, 2012

ErrantSystems
Jul 5, 2009
I read the info in the OP about litter box problems but it didn't really apply to my situation.

Here is my cat's info:
• We've had her her entire life, she has all her shots, etc.
• Sex: Female
• Food: Wellness Grain Free/Core (wet, started on this particular food about two weeks ago, she has been eating grain free for a while longer)
• Last Vet Visit: About a month ago (for this problem), gave her a clean bill of health.
• She is an indoors cat.
• We have one other female 3 year old cat (had for 3 years)
• We have two litter boxes which we clean every day.

As for the problem itself, it's two fold, first she has been puking all over the place recently (about 3 times in the last week and a half). I'm pretty sure that this is because of the wet food being a bit too rich for her but it might be stress I guess (our other cat occasionally harasses her, and two new people just started renting in our basement).

The main problem is that she has been pooping outside of her litter box for a while now, the problem has been going on for quite some time but has gotten worse recently (she has pooped outside of it maybe 5 times in two weeks). The weird thing is that she has never peed outside of the litter box, it also seems like she has some problem pooping sometimes as if she is constipated or something. Could this also be due to the food?

Well looking at my post it seems like I have pretty much decided it is the food, but where should we go from here? Get some kind of prescription food or do you guys think it is something else?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Although you said she had been taken to the vet about a month ago for the problem (pooping outside the box), it sounds like the vomiting started afterwards. As she is an older girl I would err on the side of caution and get her seen by a vet, especially with the recent vomiting, possible straining while pooping, and increasing frequency of her not getting in the litter box for pooping.

She's still eating food as she has before?

When you last saw the vet, were any tests run?

Do you have any more info on what "awhile" entails in terms of pooping outside the box? Several months? Several years?

ErrantSystems
Jul 5, 2009

HelloSailorSign posted:

Although you said she had been taken to the vet about a month ago for the problem (pooping outside the box), it sounds like the vomiting started afterwards. As she is an older girl I would err on the side of caution and get her seen by a vet, especially with the recent vomiting, possible straining while pooping, and increasing frequency of her not getting in the litter box for pooping.

She's still eating food as she has before?

When you last saw the vet, were any tests run?

Do you have any more info on what "awhile" entails in terms of pooping outside the box? Several months? Several years?

At the vet she had a decent amount of stuff done, urine/blood samples as well as a general examination. They also made sure to test for signs of UTI because she has had them before.

She is still eating as she usually does, though I do occasionally worry about her drinking water since I rarely see her do so (this is not new, she has always hardly drank water). She has been peeing normally though, so that doesn't seem to be an issue.

In regards to pooping outside the box she has been doing it once in a while (say about once a month) for the last ~3 years. It probably started around when we first adopted a our other cat/when we started renting out our basement. We have tried various things over the years to fix this, such as up to 3 litter boxes, different litter, etc, but it has gotten worse in the last several weeks.

Some more miscellaneous things related to this:
Sometimes when she is trying to go to the bathroom she get frustrated, or something, and starts to run around the house before eventually going back to the litter box. We also recently found a secluded area behind a cabinet that she had been pooping in which makes me wonder if it has to do with our other cat harassing her when she is trying to go to the litter box, although the fact that she has never peed outside it makes me doubt that is the problem.

We picked up some science diet i/d today and are going to try to mix some of her old food with it and give it to her for a few weeks while observing her in the meantime but if you/anyone else has more advice, have at it. If she does continue to vomit on the new food we will definitely take her to the vet though.

Bogwoppit
Feb 9, 2012

Any tips getting a bottle-fed kitten onto solids?
She ate some mush last week for the first time and over-did it.. leading to a few hours later where she was puking and pooping her own body weight simultaneously.
Now when I offer any tempting delicious solids she just "buries" them (or as Mike says, "Poo! Poo! This is Poo!"). Smearing it on her chin leads to her cleaning it up and spitting it out.

Kitten is 6 weeks, very runty and teething. Vet checked her out and said she has no reason not to eat solids.

We have tried: Kitten branded meat mashed into paste with her hot milk, chicken baby food warmed with water, super stinky kitten meat, super stinky tuna cat meat..
Crushed Weetabix and warm kitty milk as recommended by a kitty rescue. This is what she gobbled up and later puked. Now she drinks around the mulm.

It mainly results in these things ending up all over me or whatever unfortunate furniture I perch her on. The feeding technique is fine, as she'll take milk when held - she just spits food out.

I know she needs patience, but I worry pure kitty milk will not be enough (though her energy is crazy high).

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Speaking of rear end in a top hat cats, I just took my sister to the emergency room because Rooster slapped her in the eyeball. He's a sweet, chatty cuddlebug -- except when he's clawing out your eyeballs or trying to deflesh your ankles. I don't really know what else to do about his behavior. I run feliway defusers 24-7. I do the high-pitched pain yelp to try and teach him That Really Hurts! Usually he telegraphs pretty well that he's in a mood, and I can often identify what stressed or frustrated him to instigate the behavior (ex. I didn't let him push his face into the food I was fixing for lunch, so he stalks one of the dogs and attacks her). I know its not spite or anger, but his reactions to stress are really aggressive and it's a major problem. He could catch one of the dogs or the other cat in the eye just as easily as he got my sister.

On top of that, there's a lot of uncertainty hanging over where he's going to live long-term. I've been boarding him for my other sister for over a year, because she moved to an apartment that didn't allow pets. She's moving again, but we don't know yet if she'll end up in another no-pets situation or not, or even if she'll want Rooster back at all. I'm conflicted about trying to advocate for leaving him with me, because he might do better in a home where he is the only pet. On the other hand, my sister is the reason he has aggression issues in the first place. She thought it was cute when he was a tiny kitten to make him attack her hands and arms, and when his big-boy claws came in, she'd just wrap her arm in a blanket and continued to encourage him to attack her. So I kinda don't want to give him back just for her to undo all the work I've put into trying to make him less of an attack cat. But I also don't need to put my other pets all at risk because Rooster is a loose cannon who acts out inappropriately to stress. I just want to do what's best for everyone, but I don't know if that means encouraging my sister to take her cat back or campaigning for him to stay with me. I just wish she'd at least say whether or not she even wanted him back; as it stands, he's just a long-term guest which isn't fair to him or to me. :sigh:

Bogwoppit
Feb 9, 2012

You could try those claw caps that glue on and shed with his claws, perhaps?
I clip my cats claw tips by hand, just to take the needle point off them. Could Rooster put up with this?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Luna just yakked up a hairball, and there was a pink tinge to the liquid. Has anyone else ever seen this? :ohdear: I haven't had too much experience with hairballs but I've never seen blood in one before. It was only a very small amount of hair and the pink tinge was noticeable but very light...

e: I found another set of drops so I called the vet (hooray for vets open on Sundays :love:) and they said probably her throat just got irritated from the hairball, but it's something to keep an eye on.

Given that yesterday I found a dark gray, sloppy wet pile of cat hair about 1.5" in diameter and perhaps .5-.75" high... yeah I think it might have irritated her little throat.

Eggplant Wizard fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jul 22, 2012

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Bogwoppit posted:

You could try those claw caps that glue on and shed with his claws, perhaps?
I clip my cats claw tips by hand, just to take the needle point off them. Could Rooster put up with this?

I trim his claws best that I can, but he's really bad about trying to shred you so its really a 2-person job and hard to do by myself. I have to sneak up on him and do 2 or 3 toes while he's asleep, just get what I can before he realizes what's going on. He'd had a trim not that long ago, but he's obviously sharpened them up and needs another. I have considered claw caps, but putting them on would probably require a tactical team. My sister brought up having him declawed last night, and while generally none of us are in favor of it, he's drawn a lot of blood from all three of us and the argument could be made that he's dangerous and needs a more extreme solution. I'm going to ask his vet if there's maybe a mild sedative he could be given prior to nail trimming that would make that more painless (for me), and if that would work there would be no need to go down that road though.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jul 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Ed Mungo posted:

I trim his claws best that I can, but he's really bad about trying to shred you so its really a 2-person job and hard to do by myself. I have to sneak up on him and do 2 or 3 toes while he's asleep, just get what I can before he realizes what's going on. He'd had a trim not that long ago, but he's obviously sharpened them up and needs another. I have considered claw caps, but putting them on would probably require a tactical team. My sister brought up having him declawed last night, and while generally none of us are in favor of it, he's drawn a lot of blood from all three of us and the argument could be made that he's dangerous and needs a more extreme solution. I'm going to ask his vet if there's maybe a mild sedative he could be given prior to nail trimming that would make that more painless (for me), and if that would work there would be no need to go down that road though.

Your vet can put on the caps for you. Have you ever attempted the kitty burrito for claw trimming?

Declawing might actually be an even worse choice in your case because your cat will probably switch from clawing to biting. Cat bites a whole lot nastier than cat scratches.