Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
It's a waste of time for those who want to achieve something, kinda like community college. Might as well go for the real thing from day 1 unless deep down inside you only want to play martial arts or fantasize about consoling sexually frustrated Jewish housewifes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
CUP CHAT:

Finally got my NuttyBuddy! I haven't worn a cup in a LONG time though so I guess I might as well ask what feels like an embarrassing question on the internet.

How do I know if it...fits properly? It is quite snug, the frank and beans seem to just fit in ( the left/right sides of the cup are flush with my crotch ) but when I've got it placed between the compression shorts & jock it either seems like it might be too high, or too low. I tried punching myself in the junk a few times and it almost felt like it pinched a little bit at the left and right edges. However I don't know if I'm just being paranoid/unsure of what it's SUPPOSED to feel like.

Granted this was with my old compression shorts so I guess it could be they are weirdly designed/don't fit me properly anyway, so I'm going to try again tonight with the actual NuttyBuddy branded ones I got just because I needed a new pair anyway.

Anyway, I don't know if it's supposed to be about as snug as it can get or if I should be able to fit everything in not unlike an over-sized fruit bowl. I can only go one more size up which is meant for 210+ lbs ( I'm only 187 ) so I think that that is way too big. Otherwise my only option is to try something other than a NuttyBuddy. :smith:

[edit to add] I did try a few kicks and a short warm-up with it in and it really was quite comfortable at that point, I didn't even really notice it was there. It was just actually striking it/myself didn't quite feel 100% like I thought it would.

TollTheHounds fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jul 17, 2012

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Chemtrail Clem posted:

Actually its like walking around your block to prepare for walking around your block while wearing a big sign that says "I am an idiot"

Ahahaha

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

Paramemetic posted:

So, how do I fix this? Or what Google terms should I use to search for myself? Or what kind of teacher should I seek out?

You cant put effort into relaxing. Thats kind of the whole point.

Get punched in the face, hard.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
I know the correct answer to the issue is "shut up, don't panic, keep training and eventually things will fall into place". But somehow "eventually" isn't doing its job of making me secure, and I'm going to ask anyway.

How do you guys deal with the issue that BJJ is a huge thing that's more complex than I could ever possibly imagine and it's composed entirely of details and exceptions to the rule and anything you get wrong will screw you over badly and it's a big, incomprehensible, uncaring universe of hooks, sweeps, and painful chokes?

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Cyphoderus posted:

How do you guys deal with the issue that BJJ is a huge thing that's more complex than I could ever possibly imagine and it's composed entirely of details and exceptions to the rule and anything you get wrong will screw you over badly and it's a big, incomprehensible, uncaring universe of hooks, sweeps, and painful chokes?

I don't to BJJ, but with Judo my mindset is just that the worst case scenario is that I lose. It's not fight club, not an MMA match, just Judo. Worst case I get thrown, or I tap out, and I'll be perfectly OK, and I can just get up and try again. There's nothing at stake beyond your own ego.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Cyphoderus posted:

I know the correct answer to the issue is "shut up, don't panic, keep training and eventually things will fall into place". But somehow "eventually" isn't doing its job of making me secure, and I'm going to ask anyway.

Your body starts to deal with a lot of things subconsciously

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008
BJJ has a tradition of being taught to appear so complex that you can only learn the macro-concepts through experience to emphasize of the importance of fitness and coordination. Thanks to the focus on groundwork people can practice a million different positions (and learn multiple names for each one depending on who's teaching), but the pieces won't really come together until you get a feel for the way tension and momentum flow through them. Calm, deep breaths while rolling can help you stay focused on the important things.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Cyphoderus posted:

Everyone that you look at and think "Well poo poo he's pretty good" has been exactly where you are. They got where they are now by working hard and listening to people better than them. It's pretty much the same as learning anything really, really, well. BJJ and other martial arts just have a very concrete demonstration of when things are wrong.

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized
I'm about 3 classes deep in my Muay Thai class. When do I buy a nutcup? We do slow practice on each other (not true sparring) that involves kicking the inner thigh. I'm afraid someone will goof up and zoink me in the gonads, but no close calls yet.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Xguard86 posted:

Your body starts to deal with a lot of things subconsciously

This is actually a very good answer, but it might be hard to accept without having been to that mental place yet. Cyphoderus, you already answered your own question in the post, but relax, it'll all come to you eventually. Very soon you'll do things without consciously thinking about it at all- simple things you might already be doing, like tucking your elbows and protecting your neck. Before you know it you'll automatically be going for your hooks, and later this will extend to pretty much your entire game.
When you get your basics down to muscle memory, a lot of mental capacity is freed up for the more advanced stuff.

That said, if someone plugged a thought reading device to my nogging while grappling it'd probably read 90% white noise and 10% thinking about what I'm going to do later that night.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

gotly posted:

I'm about 3 classes deep in my Muay Thai class. When do I buy a nutcup? We do slow practice on each other (not true sparring) that involves kicking the inner thigh. I'm afraid someone will goof up and zoink me in the gonads, but no close calls yet.

It WILL happen. Hate to break it to you. You'll probably accidentally kick someone in the junk too. Nature of the sport. I wear a cup when I spar but I don't bother otherwise cause honestly I think they're kind of annoying. I might have just got a lovely one. I'll sometimes put it in if we're doing a bunch of knee drills too.

n3rdal3rt
Nov 2, 2011

Grimey Drawer

gotly posted:

I would say about 3 classes ago personally. They aren't the most comfortable things in the world but better then taking a shot to the junk. The more you wear it the more you get use to it. I recommend layering too, compression shorts then jock with cup and another pair of compression shorts on top to hold everything in place. Just my suggestions.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Bohemian Nights posted:

This is actually a very good answer, but it might be hard to accept without having been to that mental place yet.

Just think about swimming or writing or riding a bike. You can probably do at least one of these things fairly easily, but it wasn't automatic at first.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I honestly forget that I'm wearing that shock doctor flexible cup. Might not be as protective as a steel cup, but I'd rather feel comfortable and so far so good.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Attended my first belt ceremony tonight. Holy gently caress we could probably all get thrown in jail for the whipping line. (Also got 2 stripes on my white belt :unsmith: )

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon
I'm glad my school doesn't do that poo poo. Got handed a BJJ blue belt tonight. Having mixed feelings about it. I have been a white belt for about a year and a half, which is longer than about any other student at my school. I've definitely improved a ton, but still get bested by most of the other higher whites and about all the blues. Still pretty excited to finally be wearing the blue, though!

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Trip Report - NuttyBuddy is awesome! My issues I mentioned must have been due to my old lovely compression shorts positioning my junk in a way that doesn't jive with a jock/cup. It's amazing what a piece of plastic on your crotch can do, I feel like Superman when I wear this thing! "Go on, TRY and cock punch me! I don't even care!"

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Undeclared Eggplant posted:

I'm glad my school doesn't do that poo poo. Got handed a BJJ blue belt tonight. Having mixed feelings about it. I have been a white belt for about a year and a half, which is longer than about any other student at my school. I've definitely improved a ton, but still get bested by most of the other higher whites and about all the blues. Still pretty excited to finally be wearing the blue, though!

How quickly do most people at your school get blues? 1 1/2 years at white doesn't seem at all abnormal.

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4

Thoguh posted:

How quickly do most people at your school get blues? 1 1/2 years at white doesn't seem at all abnormal.

"still get bested by the higher whites" is what draws my attention in that sentence.

n3rdal3rt
Nov 2, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Kumo Jr. posted:

"still get bested by the higher whites" is what draws my attention in that sentence.

I could understand how that happens though. We have guys that are white belts in jujitsu but have like 8 years wrestling experience or one guy who is a Judo black belt...
Not saying that is the situation though.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

n3rdal3rt posted:

Judo black belt...

God drat Judo black belts and their grip and stupid strong gi chokes. Makes the few times countering their subs hair raising though since you're almost blacking out just from the pressure.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
I feel like I'm finally getting somewhere with striking, mainly because I've finally figured out what my style is...basically working inside (my friend says its "bull rush in and throw a lot of punches" but I like to think I'm refining it :colbert: ). One of our coaches is a real old school boxing coach that just preaches never backing up and is constantly telling me to not give the other guy any room and its finally sinking in. Tonight my first round was against a bigger guy with a TKD background and my coach (not the same one, this guy is a MT/kickboxer) had to stop it and give the other guy the 'you see what he's doing to you?' speech that I'm so used to having come my way.

On another note, my second round was against a truly inspirational lady and probably the toughest old b*tch on the planet. I'm not sure if she's got some kind of palsy or had a stroke or what but half her body is virtually paralyzed to where she looks exactly like a zombie when she moves and she's old and skinny besides, but she does these quick as poo poo double strikes with her good hand (where she pulls down your guard with the first) and isn't scared to grab you behind the head and jam her good knee into your chest. She also does this crazy poo poo with her gimp hand where she contorts her whole body to fling it at you then follows it up from the other side. Its seriously loving incredible and she is tough as loving nails and will yell at you if you don't go sort of hard with her.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Kumo Jr. posted:

If they're a smaller person (or a girl) they could be blue belt level but still getting pushed around by higher level white belts. It always sucks when you're a fresh belt and just barely have an edge of guys a little behind you.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
Every single issue of Black Belt Magazine up to 2004 is archived on Google Books. Now you can read about the Secret Street Lethal Double Kicks of Hawaiian Hapkido at your leisure.

http://books.google.com/books?id=oM4DAAAAMBAJ&dq=black+belt&source=gbs_all_issues_r&cad=1&atm_aiy=1960#all_issues_anchor

And those nasty Gracie brothers won't know what hit 'em when you rock that Ninjitsu poo poo. :c00lbert:

e: Read and enjoy as all the Kenpo Karate and Dim Mak Death Touch video ads give way to full-page Gracie Academy promos and pictures of a scowling, off-cycle Don Frye.

Julio Cesar Fatass fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jul 20, 2012

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Holy poo poo, the typo on the 3rd page, in the K-1 ad.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Xguard86 posted:

If they're a smaller person (or a girl) they could be blue belt level but still getting pushed around by higher level white belts. It always sucks when you're a fresh belt and just barely have an edge of guys a little behind you.

Its also hilarious watching how many people want to roll against the newly promoted guys.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

kimbo305 posted:

Holy poo poo, the typo on the 3rd page, in the K-1 ad.

Oh Ishii. :allears:

There's a Peter Aerts interview from '97 or so where he seriously weighs like 72 pounds. Juicing did him a whole shitload of good.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

Undeclared Eggplant posted:

I got my blue belt at one year, only because our instructor at the time was a talented purple, and his brown belt buddy who was in town decided to test most of the gym all at the same time. This included guys who had been doing it for one year, a year and a half, 2 to two and a half years.

Even after 3 years I find myself trying to find a way for forcing open guard that does not put me off balance and that I can pull off regularly.

Anyway for the Aikido goons or others that are browsing this thread, do any of you want a free white hakama? I'm moving and no longer need it.

There are some interesting gems and photos in the older issues of black belt that you probably won't find anywhere else.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jul 20, 2012

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Four years in and I'm still a a BJJ white belt. While it's hilarious when I travel to other gyms, I'd really like that loving blue belt. It's pretty interesting how the green TJJ belt I otherwise wear is made out of the exact same materials but means absolutely nothing to me.

Maybe I should just bother grading to TJJ blue and pretend it's a BJJ belt.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Bohemian Nights posted:

Four years in and I'm still a a BJJ white belt. While it's hilarious when I travel to other gyms, I'd really like that loving blue belt. It's pretty interesting how the green TJJ belt I otherwise wear is made out of the exact same materials but means absolutely nothing to me.

Maybe I should just bother grading to TJJ blue and pretend it's a BJJ belt.

:/ is the guy in your gym just really strict with promotions or what? Also did you impress people at Marcelo's?

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

KidDynamite posted:

:/ is the guy in your gym just really strict with promotions or what? Also did you impress people at Marcelo's?

We don't have any actual BJJ instructors! Currently, we don't even have an instructor and all instruction is dealt with by the more senior members, including me. We currently fly in our former main TJJ instructor a couple of times a year for a trad grading, but we don't have any similar BJJ affilations.
Also, sure! Marcelo even hinted that he wanted to promote me, but it never materialized. Could be because everyone was graded a week and a half after I left the country :v:

I mostly want the belt so I can compete in blue belt divisions, but eh, until I move somewhere else that probably won't happen- although, I guess nothing would stop me from just putting on a blue belt if I wanted to compete in neighboring countries like Sweden or Denmark where no-one knows who I am!

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

You should try to organize a BJJ seminar at your gym if it's feasible, find a good BJJ teacher in your country or find somebody who regularly tours nearby. A black belt passing through will sort out your rankings. Before we had any black belts at our gym Anthony Perosh would give us a seminar once or twice a year, and he gave our head coach his black belt, then Carlos Machado gave one of our browns his black a few months ago, bringing us up to two. Both times it was unexpected, we were just grabbing seminars with whoever was passing through.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Bohemian Nights posted:

I mostly want the belt so I can compete in blue belt divisions, but eh, until I move somewhere else that probably won't happen- although, I guess nothing would stop me from just putting on a blue belt if I wanted to compete in neighboring countries like Sweden or Denmark where no-one knows who I am!

Seems odd that you can't just enter anyway. All of the competitions I've been to allow lower belts to enter a higher division (one of our white belts actually won a blue belt division at the most recent Copa tourney down here).

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
I've been denied entering a higher belt division in one IBJJF competitions, and a team mate of mine experienced the same in another one hosted by the same club, so the IBJJF atleast are pretty strict about it. Could just be a local thing, though.

I was told that it would be "unfair to the higher belts" if I competed in a divison where I hadn't earned the belt, which is hilarious to me because that means it's somehow NOT unfair to the white belts to have a dude sandbag their division?

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

You should try to organize a BJJ seminar at your gym if it's feasible

There won't be anyone passing through since we're probably the northernmost grappling club in the world, but organizing something shouldn't be impossible. We've had several MMA and submission wrestling seminars, so an imported black belt ought to be available from somewhere. We were on the cusp of getting Roy Harris to come over and do our gradings and seminars, but that meant we had to become a Roy Harris affilate, and we decided that we wanted to be wholly independant so that never materialized.

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jul 20, 2012

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
:burger:POST FIGHT TALK:burger:

Walked out to: Gunpowder and Lead (country folks)

As it turns out, my opponent was not a wrestler at all. He was actually, in fact, a nigh-undefeated 4-year amateur boxer and I did not realize this until my hands were expecting the shot and I'm on the outside throwing leg kicks.

What I also learned, however, is that I can take a loving punch. And I took a lot of loving punches. But I also returned a fuckton of em.

Round 1: Get hit a lot initially, tie up in the clinch and throw knees to the body. Return punches in the clinch.

Round 2: Get hit intermittently, tie up in the clinch non-stop, knee nonstop and actually get a takedown near the end with some lazy gnp.

Round 3: Clinch and knee. I got an awesome gooseneck knee clinch and just went to goddamn town

So I implemented the second of my two gameplans and clinch kneed the poo poo out of him. I never got over my fixation that he might have a good ground game, so aside from m single takedown I never thought about taking pressure off my face with a slick double or something, but I'll keep that in mind next time. All in all a great learning experience and a lesson to never ever believe anything about your opponent that you have not personally seen him do.

I normally look much better, nice

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
It certainly looks like you've been in a fight! Congratulations on your broken face. Who ended up winning? Did you film it?

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

quote:

Could just be a local thing, though.
Yeah, or just because the smaller stuff we get around here (NAGA/COPA/MMAC/Submission Planet are the ones I've seen so far) lets more stuff slide than IBJJF.

Bohemian Nights posted:

I was told that it would be "unfair to the higher belts" if I competed in a divison where I hadn't earned the belt, which is hilarious to me because that means it's somehow NOT unfair to the white belts to have a dude sandbag their division?
Haha yeah, that's some strange logic. Well good luck getting your blue, sounds like you deserve it anyway.

Congrats Fontoyn, looks like it was quite a fight!

Kekekela fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jul 20, 2012

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Congrats Fontoyn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
Congratulations Fontoyn! Sounds like a real interesting fight, got a video up anywhere?

• Locked thread