Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /

Christoph posted:

The Middle-Eastern character in that movie (the Djinn) explodes himself in order to kill his enemy.

This is my least favorite unsubtle movie moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

HonorableTB posted:

The directory that the bank software virus is stored on is "C:/LR427/Virus_CDEF" CDEF is a virus that dates back to 1990 and affected Macintoshes. It infects desktop files and can cause system crashes, anomalous behavior, and printing problems. It is obsolete now and was mostly harmless. It should be noted that "C:" relates to MS-DOS and MS-Windows.

More specifically, the reason it's a Macintosh virus on the C: drive is because all the computers in that movie are deliberately a mixture of PC and Mac design, so that no matter what office you worked in, you would feel like it was your office. Note that most of the workstations look like IBM compatibles but the graphic design of the progress bars is like a Mac but there's an hourglass wait timer instead of the spinning circle.

Here's some pics for examples:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
In the first picture he clearly looks like he's working on a Mac. Later in the movie, same workstation, DOS interface.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Riven posted:

More specifically, the reason it's a Macintosh virus on the C: drive is because all the computers in that movie are deliberately a mixture of PC and Mac design, so that no matter what office you worked in, you would feel like it was your office. Note that most of the workstations look like IBM compatibles but the graphic design of the progress bars is like a Mac but there's an hourglass wait timer instead of the spinning circle.

Here's some pics for examples:

They also do the same thing with the license plates, which are very generic "USA" plates.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Cobweb Heart posted:

Not mine, I found this on imgur. It's from Shrek. A story about the Three Bears told entirely in brief background shots.

There's another bit in the first movie where Shrek and Donkey come up on a hill and see the antagonist's ridiculously tall and phallic-looking tower, prompting Shrek to say "Do you think he's compensating for something?". It's even funnier knowing that the antagonist is abnormally short, so the joke could just as well be about his height, except that Shrek didn't know how tall he was at that point in the film.

It was a pretty fun and clever movie in a lot of ways, so it's a shame that the sequels were what they were.

In the same vein, rumor has it that Farquaad was meant to be a pastiche of Michael Eisner, who Dreamworks, obviously, were not particularly fond of. Indeed, they thought he was a bit of a... Fuckwad.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
In This is Spinal Tap, Nigel is playing one of his absurd solos. He's kicking at one guitar on the ground and playing another guitar with a violin, which is an obvious nod to Jimmy Page. It sounds like absolute garbage, but he pauses the solo like something isn't right, then turns the tuning-peg on the violin then continues his solo, which of course still sounds like garbage

The Slip
Dec 27, 2009
Thelma's egotistical rear end in a top hat husband in Thelma & Louise wears a #1 necklace. I couldn't tell what it was at first, but laughed once I saw it.

King of the Cows
Jun 1, 2007
If I were two-faced, would I be wearing this one?
There are a bunch of subtle moments in the original Conan the Barbarian. They don't necessarily blow your mind, but you tend not to notice them on first viewing. It's been a while since I've seen the movie, but three stand out in my memory:

First, after young Conan's village is exterminated and he is being led away in chains, you can recognize his mother's and father's heads on pikes in the background.

Second, as Conan and Subotai (the archer) are walking through the city enjoying their rats-on-sticks, Conan points to something and says, "Can you believe THAT?" It seems like a throwaway line, but if you catch it, he's pointing and lauging at a man loving a camel in the background.

Finally, maybe everyone else picked up on this but it took me a couple of viewings to realize that in the final battle, the sword used by Thulsa Doom's henchman, is the same sword they took from Conan's father in the beginning of the movie. Thus, when Conan breaks it, and then uses it to cut off Thulsa Doom's head, he is breaking away from his past - severing ties with both his real father and spiritual father. He's become his own man, owing nothing to those who may have once influenced him.

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005

prahanormal posted:

This is my least favorite unsubtle movie moment.

I should have made clear that was an awful moment in a bad movie.

In "Dead Man," with Johnny Depp, Gary Farmer plays the bizarre American Indian "Nobody." Three years later, Farmer played the father of the main character in "Smoke Signals," wherein he asks his son who his favorite Indian is and the boy says "Nobody." Farmer repeats "NOBODY" then makes a really creepy face to drive the reference home.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

King of the Cows posted:

There are a bunch of subtle moments in the original Conan the Barbarian. They don't necessarily blow your mind, but you tend not to notice them on first viewing. It's been a while since I've seen the movie, but three stand out in my memory:

First, after young Conan's village is exterminated and he is being led away in chains, you can recognize his mother's and father's heads on pikes in the background.

Second, as Conan and Subotai (the archer) are walking through the city enjoying their rats-on-sticks, Conan points to something and says, "Can you believe THAT?" It seems like a throwaway line, but if you catch it, he's pointing and lauging at a man loving a camel in the background.

Finally, maybe everyone else picked up on this but it took me a couple of viewings to realize that in the final battle, the sword used by Thulsa Doom's henchman, is the same sword they took from Conan's father in the beginning of the movie. Thus, when Conan breaks it, and then uses it to cut off Thulsa Doom's head, he is breaking away from his past - severing ties with both his real father and spiritual father. He's become his own man, owing nothing to those who may have once influenced him.

I don't know if that's intentional subtlety or just bad directing. The sword is clearly supposed to be important, it's emphasised a lot at the beginning, and Conan recovering it should be an important moment. Thulsa Doom's speeches in the middle and the end of the film seem to be in the script just to emphasise how important the sword is to Conan. The first he says is that steel is not as strong as the flesh that wields it, the second is that Doom made Conan the man he is today. He's basically saying Conan's father isn't important and neither is his sword, which is supposed to be the thing motivating him in the first place. I think the director just forgot about it.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Christoph posted:

I should have made clear that was an awful moment in a bad movie.

In "Dead Man," with Johnny Depp, Gary Farmer plays the bizarre American Indian "Nobody." Three years later, Farmer played the father of the main character in "Smoke Signals," wherein he asks his son who his favorite Indian is and the boy says "Nobody." Farmer repeats "NOBODY" then makes a really creepy face to drive the reference home.

He also appears tending pigeons on a rooftop in Jarmusch's Ghost Dog.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
Sorry if this one is well-known, but it blew my mind when I found out. From Kill Bill:

The swordsman who finally kills O-Ren's father is Bill. He has the sword and the same rings you see on Bill's hand at the end. Why would O-Ren work for the man who killed her father? Well she never saw his face since she was hiding under the bed.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

FourLeaf posted:

Sorry if this one is well-known, but it blew my mind when I found out. From Kill Bill:

The swordsman who finally kills O-Ren's father is Bill. He has the sword and the same rings you see on Bill's hand at the end. Why would O-Ren work for the man who killed her father? Well she never saw his face since she was hiding under the bed.

Wow, I never knew that. I always wondered what was up with that guy.

I always thought she saw his face, since they show her getting really mad right after panning from her father up to his face. Still, mind blown.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I'm not 100% sold on your theory, FourLeaf. I just rewatched the anime section since its the easiest to find on Youtube and compared to some other clips, it does look like Bill wears a ring but it doesn't seem to be the same ones as shown in the animated clip. That would be Cool As Hell if it were the case though, and I'd like to be proven wrong.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

FourLeaf posted:

This was a popular theory when the movie first came out. I think it was disproved, at least the last I ever saw of the arguments I was satisfied that what you suggest isn't the case. I could be wrong.

Jazu
Jan 1, 2006

Looking for some URANIUM? CLICK HERE

FourLeaf posted:

I thought it was supposed to be that Bill killed him and took his rings, and that was how he got her to work for him. She definitely looks at the sword guy and makes a sort of KCHHHHT noise in that scene, so I assume she remembered him.

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

Well, I guess I'll just go fuck myself, then.
In the movie Rain Man, Tom Cruise's character (Charlie) discovers that he has an adult autistic brother (Raymond). One of Raymond's quirks is repeating the word "definitely."

Before he even knows Raymond exists, Charlie is with his fathers estate attorney and discovers that he got nothing in the will but his father's classic Buick and "prize-winning rose bushes." Charlie gets pissed and, railing about the situation he says, "I definitely got the rose bushes! I definitely got the rose bushes!"

About 14:10 in this clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6treaJ50Aw

It's a nice little touch that shows a common habit, but you wouldn't really notice until a second viewing.

Mr. 47 has a new favorite as of 04:52 on Jul 21, 2012

The Slip
Dec 27, 2009
Someone just sent me this link revealing a subtle message on the bottom of Uma Thurman's shoes in Kill Bill: http://www.miramax.com/subscript/uma-thurman-shoes-kill-bill-vol-1-easter-egg

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Still a favorite of mine from the original live action Ninja Turtles movie:

In the scene where Raphael meets and fights Casey Jones, gets dumped in a trash can, and pursues him up the street after, Raphael rolls over the hood of a taxi. The guy in the back seat that sits up and asks "What the heck was that?" is the same guy who does Raphael's character voice for the movie.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Ozz81 posted:

In the scene where Raphael meets and fights Casey Jones, gets dumped in a trash can, and pursues him up the street after, Raphael rolls over the hood of a taxi. The guy in the back seat that sits up and asks "What the heck was that?" is the same guy who does Raphael's character voice for the movie.

The dig that Raphael makes at Jose Canseco in that scene ("A Jose Canseco bat? Don't tell me you paid money for this!") went way over my head when I was a kid because I had no idea who he was. Then a few years ago when I re-watched the movie it finally made sense.

Tsercele
Sep 27, 2008

In J.J. Abrams' Star Trek reboot, Kirk is eating an apple while he retakes the Kobayashi Maru. It’s a callback to Wrath of Khan, where he eats an apple while explaining the test to Saavik.

One of Tim Burton’s objectives when working on Batman was to explore whether Wayne was really better than the people he fought. The most obvious counterpoint is when Batman is fleeing the scene at the chemical factory... with AXIS spelled out in big red letters behind him. Burton is comparing him to the Nazis.

In The Matrix Reloaded, one of the key scenes has Trinity racing against time to shut down the city’s power grid. When she hacks into the computer system, she uses an NMAP scanner, slips in through an open port, and uses an SSH CRC-32 exploit – a technique that actually might have worked in the real world, unlike most movie hacking.

There’s a scene in the first Resident Evil movie where the security system goes offline and the doors unlock – showing a bunch of empty hallways patterned on the camera angles from the video games. The only thing missing is a PS1-era protagonist running from one screen to the next.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

About the Resident Evil thing, I always thought it was a goof that they removed the bodies from the laser hallway, but at one point, very quickly, someone actually asks "Where the hell are the bodies?". And it's never explained. What the hell?

EDIT: Welp, just checked out IMDB's trivia for the first film...

IMDB posted:

After returning to the laser hallway they find the bodies have vanished. This is a direct reference to the games, in which the bodies will vanish if you leave and reenter an area. Kaplan's lines draw attention to this.

Rupert Buttermilk has a new favorite as of 17:52 on Jul 23, 2012

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

C-Euro posted:

The dig that Raphael makes at Jose Canseco in that scene ("A Jose Canseco bat? Don't tell me you paid money for this!") went way over my head when I was a kid because I had no idea who he was.
I don't really get it though. Jose Canseco was really good at the time of that movie, so why the dig?

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Leon Einstein posted:

I don't really get it though. Jose Canseco was really good at the time of that movie, so why the dig?

Canseco played for the A's.
Right? And the turtles live in New York.

It's funnier in retrospect, since he lost his goddamned mind, but at the time I think it was just an east coast west coast thing.

RowsdowerHotline
Nov 5, 2003
Forum Crackwhore
I noticed one in World's Greatest Dad, the Robin Williams film. His character, Lance Clayton, obviously has some love of science fiction and/or horror. He references zombies and Shaun of the Dead in a conversation with his neighbor, has a framed "The Thing" Mondo poster in his bedroom and in his office has a framed poster for Santa Claus vs. The Martians.

While on a date with Claire, he suggests they rent a movie afterwards and she remarks "Anything but horror" and he has such a resigned, sad look on his face. She suggests a musical and he just goes along with it and completely stops bringing up horror.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
DARK KNIGHT RISES MINI-SPOILER AHEAD

This was such a subtle joke, but when Commissioner Gordon is shot by Bane and thrown into the sewer, John Blake makes a mention about the only thing that Gordon was babbling about was "seeing alligators in the sewers."

There are so few people who would get that joke, but if you don't, it's referencing Killer Croc being in Gotham

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Toad on a Hat posted:

This was such a subtle joke, but when Commissioner Gordon is shot by Bane and thrown into the sewer, John Blake makes a mention about the only thing that Gordon was babbling about was "seeing alligators in the sewers."

There are so few people who would get that joke, but if you don't, it's referencing Killer Croc being in Gotham
Alligators, not crocodiles... You're really stretching

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Guilty posted:

Alligators, not crocodiles... You're really stretching

Hell it was something like that ok

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

Everyone keeps saying that it's a Killer Croc reference and I think it's way too much of a stretch. Everyone's heard the 'there's alligators in the sewers' urban legend.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I was reminded of Killer Croc but I do believe it was more "yeah, sure, whatever you say" dismissive statement.

HOW HIGH THE MOON
Aug 26, 2007
Yeah, it doesn't have anything to do with Croc. Homeless people making underground cities and weird poo poo like that in sewer systems is also an urban legend. The line is the equivalent of "They told me to watch out for AIDS needles in coin return slots while I was at it".

It doesn't add a ton to the movie itself but while I was watching the commentary for Eight Legged Freaks they pointed out that there was enough time during production for the digital animators to mess around with the stuff the spiders are doing in the background. The ones in the foreground are usually all business and very spider-like but if you keep an eye out on the background you can see a lot of goofy poo poo. When the spiders are storming the mall one of the ones in the background hops up on a stone wall, turns around and makes a "come on, guys!" gesture toward the ones behind it with its foreleg.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Ozz81 posted:

IMDB says that it's the guy in the turtle costume, not the voice actor. In fact, all of the guys in the costumes had a cameo:

IMDB posted:

David Forman, the performer inside the Leonardo costume, also plays a gang member in the warehouse when Casey Jones defeats Tatsu.

Josh Pais, who plays Raphael, also plays a passenger in the back of a taxicab who says, "What the heck was that?" right after Raphael hops on the cab's hood.

Leif Tilden, the performer inside the Donatello costume, also plays the Foot Messenger that meets April in the subway station. He says, "We've been looking for you, Miss O'Neill," then he slaps her.

Michelan Sisti, the performer inside the Michaelangelo costume, also plays the pizza delivery man who delivers the pizza to the Turtles' sewer.

Also, wasn't Jose Canseco in a lot of trouble in the late 80's for possible steroid use and domestic assaalt, or something?

Fake edit: He as on the juice, but he didn't admit to it until the 2000's, and his domestic assault charge came after the movie...however, there was this:

'wikipedia" posted:

On February 10, 1989, Canseco was arrested for reckless driving after allegedly leading an officer on a 15-mile chase. He was found guilty and fined $500.[30]

On April 11, 1989, Canseco was arrested in California for carrying a loaded semi-automatic pistol in his car.[31] He was released on $2,500 bail and pled no contest.[32][33]

But yeah, you're right that it was probably more a "NY vs California" thing, plus the whole idea of buying sporting equipment named after a player is stupid, save Air Jordans.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

The Man with a Hat posted:

One of Tim Burton’s objectives when working on Batman was to explore whether Wayne was really better than the people he fought. The most obvious counterpoint is when Batman is fleeing the scene at the chemical factory... with AXIS spelled out in big red letters behind him. Burton is comparing him to the Nazis.

The Axis Chemicals set is filmed on the same sets as the Weyland Yutani colony from "Aliens". They even had to peel some of the alien cocoons off the walls to film "Batman" there.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20

RandomFerret posted:

I don't know if that's intentional subtlety or just bad directing. The sword is clearly supposed to be important, it's emphasised a lot at the beginning, and Conan recovering it should be an important moment. Thulsa Doom's speeches in the middle and the end of the film seem to be in the script just to emphasise how important the sword is to Conan. The first he says is that steel is not as strong as the flesh that wields it, the second is that Doom made Conan the man he is today. He's basically saying Conan's father isn't important and neither is his sword, which is supposed to be the thing motivating him in the first place. I think the director just forgot about it.

The sword is important to the movie, but it's not important to Conan as a person. That's the answer to the Riddle of Steel; steel can be broken (the sword) and flesh grows weak (Doom) but the Will is unbreakable (Conan's resistance to Doom's mind control stare).

It's a much deeper film than it appears to be.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

DrBouvenstein posted:

IMDB says that it's the guy in the turtle costume, not the voice actor. In fact, all of the guys in the costumes had a cameo:

Actually, if you look right at the main IMDB page for the TMNT movie, it has Josh Pais credited as "Man in cab/Raphael (voice)". If I'm not mistaken a different stunt guy actually wore the costume, there's a separate listing for the voice actors versus the people who donned the suits. :)

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Ambiguatron posted:

The sword is important to the movie, but it's not important to Conan as a person. That's the answer to the Riddle of Steel; steel can be broken (the sword) and flesh grows weak (Doom) but the Will is unbreakable (Conan's resistance to Doom's mind control stare).

It's a much deeper film than it appears to be.

The DVD commentary for Conan is John Milius and Schwarzenegger, and Milius has a lot of cool stuff to say about the movie and how it relates to his (insane) personal philosophy. It's a pity the intellectual property got passed around and Milius never got to do the sequels he was hoping to do. They probably would have been amazing, instead of the sequel that actually did get made, which was a turd.

There's a funny moment on the commentary where Milius is expounding on what he would have done with the sequel, and Schwarzenegger says something like, yeah, it's a pity there were never any sequels to this movie. Milius points out that a sequel was made, and Arnold was in it--but Arnold seems to have no idea what he's talking about. The guy's been in a lot of movies, sure, but the fact that he just totally forgot one of them tells you a lot about how good a film it was.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The Conan commentary is amazing. Schwarzenegger is drunk the entire time and Milius may or may not be on coke. He gets really excited about things and fixates on the word 'Valkyrie,' while Arnold describes every woman on screen in terms of whether they slept with him or not.

You can make a drinking game out of how many times Milius talks about something for a couple of minutes and Schwarzenegger just responds "Yeah, exactly."

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005
^^^^^^
I'll have to bust out that DVD, it sounds shameful.

It's either Pitch Black or Chronicles of Riddick where Vin Diesel keeps saying "This is my favorite shot in the movie." He's pretty fun to listen to.

I'm not sure if I mentioned it already, but if you watch Stallone's "Cobra," commentary, it's just this sad, foreign director by himself saying he's been on hold with the studio waiting to do another movie for a few decades.

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

RandomFerret posted:

The Conan commentary is amazing. Schwarzenegger is drunk the entire time and Milius may or may not be on coke. He gets really excited about things and fixates on the word 'Valkyrie,' while Arnold describes every woman on screen in terms of whether they slept with him or not.

You can make a drinking game out of how many times Milius talks about something for a couple of minutes and Schwarzenegger just responds "Yeah, exactly."

The Total Recall commentary is just as good. Arnie is drunk yet again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncR2_pnzngM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Toad on a Hat posted:

He actaully said that the other officers "Asked him if he [Gordon] had seen any man eating crocodiles"

I think that it was an obvious reference.