Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.

Fil5000 posted:

Not wanting to turn this into a dogpile, but in fairness that's the second time in this thread that you've made some sort of broad sweeping, all encompassing statement and then hosed off rather than engage with the people that replied to you. If you don't want to engage in discussion then why bother posting?

Barrage, that's an awesome story. Did you manage to speak to Norm afterwards? Pretty much all I've seen of him is his Celebrity Jeopardy appearances, I should really go find more of his stuff.

Edit: fat fingered spelling.

I think he still has his newest special up on Netflix, and it's awesome. Check it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ariza posted:

Can someone recommend some comedians like Jeselnik? I like his style and timing. I've listened to all of the big names, but I'm sure I missed somebody. I wish he'd just put out another album.

I don't know how you came across Jimmy Carr (I've seen his Comedy Central specials, but I don't know if he's done more stateside), so you might be British and I might be preaching to the converted, but Stewart Lee is probably my all time favourite comedian here. While his style is completely the opposite of Jeselnik, some of the things that come out of his mouth are incredibly offensive. But Lee is a very, very smart writer and comedian and knows exactly what he's doing, and it's a phenomenal act to watch.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Fil5000 posted:

Barrage, that's an awesome story. Did you manage to speak to Norm afterwards? Pretty much all I've seen of him is his Celebrity Jeopardy appearances, I should really go find more of his stuff.

His standup isn't that great but his talk show appearances are legendary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL0WayC7jW0

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

His bit at the Bob Saget roast never fails to leave me almost crying in laughter. Those CC roasts are such a joke compared to the class and talent present at the original Friars' Club roasts and he just completely did his own thing instead of trying to do the standard raunchy oneupsmanship.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Ror posted:

His bit at the Bob Saget roast never fails to leave me almost crying in laughter. Those CC roasts are such a joke compared to the class and talent present at the original Friars' Club roasts and he just completely did his own thing instead of trying to do the standard raunchy oneupsmanship.

The whole buildup is just great. The jokes are funny because they're hackey, so if you know Norm then you should get it. I love how it's so clean and then he does the one about "...not the only thing in common with Rin Tin Tin" and just drops the F-bomb on it. I was in tears.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
Oh god those Comedy Central roasts. Somewhere in Hell they're making Geraldo do those trai-wrecks over and over and over.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

Apparently they want to murder you in a well, it says here on this card.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Harm Barn Gumshoe posted:

Apparently they want to murder you in a well, it says here on this card.

I just watched this, and at this point it pans to John Lovitz cracking up, and you can see Jim Norton behind him mouthing "What?" It's amazing how many people didn't get what was going on when Lovitz and Gilbert Gottfried were absolutely losing it.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

Sporadic posted:

His standup isn't that great

You have never been more wrong about anything in your life, congrats.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

rear end Catchcum posted:

You have never been more wrong about anything in your life, congrats.

Maybe it's better live? The two CDs I heard did nothing for me (which was strange considering how much I love his talk show appearances and the movie Dirty Work)

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
One of his albums is a sketch album, so I'm not going to count that.

The other is, I assume, Me Doing Stand Up, which is awesome.

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER
"Me Doing Stand Up" is most def a funny set, may i recommend it to everyone. Norm MacDonald is a weird funny guy who does weird funny poo poo like constantly.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
So I'm trying to get into this Twitter thing. I've got louisck, Patton, Jeselnik, Kinane, and Seinfeld. Are there any other stand ups that are good to follow? I can't believe I've never tried this before. Stupid little funny jokes randomly throughout the day are good for the mind.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
I don't like Rob Delaney's (@robdelaney) tweets too much, but he tends to retweet and recommend lots of different Twitter types that are fun to get into. He likes some of the SA boys like @dogboner and @degg so that's pretty cool, too. They're mostly more random stuff than stand-up jokes, though.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Ariza posted:

So I'm trying to get into this Twitter thing. I've got louisck, Patton, Jeselnik, Kinane, and Seinfeld. Are there any other stand ups that are good to follow? I can't believe I've never tried this before. Stupid little funny jokes randomly throughout the day are good for the mind.

Nick Kroll, Andy Richter and Conan are pretty good. And follow Jenny Wade. She is absolutely hilarious.

DerbyTime!!!
Dec 17, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Follow @DuncanTrussell, @PeteHolmez, @ChelseaVPeretti, @nottjmiller, @littleesther

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
I really like @stevemartintogo because it's Steve loving Martin and that's awesome. Other than the ones mentioned here I like @jimmykimmel @ericstangel (head writer of Letterman) and @roryalbanese (exec producer of Daily Show) because I'm a late night TV junky and those three guys will answer questions you ask them. Oh and @meganganz.

@normmacdonald is great to follow when he's live tweeting awards shows but I mute him when he's Livetweeting golf events.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Follow @twittels for some foam on the go

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
You guys are the best. It's hard finding people I like who actually send stuff out enough to care about.

DerbyTime!!! posted:

Follow @DuncanTrussell, @PeteHolmez, @ChelseaVPeretti, @nottjmiller, @littleesther

Is TJ Miller funny? I thought I saw him on an episode of Funny as Hell and it wasn't very good. His voice is very distinct though.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Ariza posted:

Is TJ Miller funny? I thought I saw him on an episode of Funny as Hell and it wasn't very good. His voice is very distinct though.
I find him so much funnier when I can't see his face.

DerbyTime!!!
Dec 17, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Ariza posted:

You guys are the best. It's hard finding people I like who actually send stuff out enough to care about.

I'm not sure he fits my personal sense of humor all that well,but I'm a dumb idiot. I found his episode of Pete Holmes' podcast you made it weird fascinating and liked the one Conan spot of his that I've seen since. He cracks me up on Doug Loves Movies, too.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

TJ's special was the best one I saw last year. I think he's just swell.

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER
John Mulaney has been mentioned in the thread before but god, can I please just recommend him again? John Mulaney is like, insane hilarious.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
When I got the Top Part I thought it was the best comedy album in the last five years, and still think that.

I thought New in Town was painfully mediocre in comparison.

Hannibal did not hit a sophomore slump. Animal Furnace is great.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
"One of the victims of the movie theater tragedy in Colorado is Caleb Medley. He is a comedian. Caleb has lost his right eye and is in a medically induced coma right now. He's 23 , he has no medical insurance and his wife is 39 weeks pregnant. If you would like to donate please go here http://calebmedley.com/help"

Thought I would share this in case any comics/fans of comedy want to help out.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for him.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Groucho Marxist posted:

Follow @twittels for some foam on the go

did you say foam or phone?

DerbyTime!!!
Dec 17, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Al! posted:

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for him.

A pun? How dare you. How great would it be if 5 guys just raped your eye out right now?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

DerbyTime!!! posted:

A pun? How dare you. How great would it be if 5 guys just raped your eye out right now?

I don't see how that's a pun. What do you think I am, some kind of monster right out of the Odyssey?

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

rear end Catchcum posted:

"One of the victims of the movie theater tragedy in Colorado is Caleb Medley. He is a comedian. Caleb has lost his right eye and is in a medically induced coma right now. He's 23 , he has no medical insurance and his wife is 39 weeks pregnant. If you would like to donate please go here http://calebmedley.com/help"

Thought I would share this in case any comics/fans of comedy want to help out.

This is an incredibly tragedy, and this guy should really be helped out.

On the other hand, if his wife were to die, he'd pretty much have the best origin story for a real life Joker ever.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Imagine the jokes about mass shootings if he survives.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Call me ignorant, but I honestly didn't know Robin Williams had a stand-up career. Which one is recommended?

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

toanoradian posted:

Call me ignorant, but I honestly didn't know Robin Williams had a stand-up career. Which one is recommended?

the one where the TV is black and turned off because you shouldn't watch a sweaty man flail around a stage for an hour.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
If you find this funny, there are at least a couple HBO specials to watch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7m_-dWBECdA

They're not great, but I think people overstate how bad they are. The material is marginal, but some people really like his high energy delivery and physicality on stage.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Has anyone read this? http://www.kristinelevine.com/2012/07/28/prison-show-blowing-the-bars-off-the-dump/ This lady is loving awesome and very funny. Doug Stanhope seems to be championing her, but don't hold that against her.

Politicalrancor posted:

the one where the TV is black and turned off because you shouldn't watch a sweaty man flail around a stage for an hour.

You are the worst. You shouldn't read about her or watch her or you might work yourself into a tizzy.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Ariza posted:

Has anyone read this? http://www.kristinelevine.com/2012/07/28/prison-show-blowing-the-bars-off-the-dump/ This lady is loving awesome and very funny. Doug Stanhope seems to be championing her, but don't hold that against her.

Stanhope rules :colbert:

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Despite supporting a ton of poo poo I can't stand, Stanhope knows comedy. A recommendation from him is gold.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Sporadic posted:

Stanhope rules :colbert:

I wish I still liked him. He was my favorite for awhile, but his last two albums were not very good in my opinion. Plus I know he rubs a lot of people the wrong way with his drunken abrasiveness. I need to find a new angry drunk with just a little more hope left.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?

Ariza posted:

I wish I still liked him. He was my favorite for awhile, but his last two albums were not very good in my opinion. Plus I know he rubs a lot of people the wrong way with his drunken abrasiveness. I need to find a new angry drunk with just a little more hope left.

Part of the reason you don't like him anymore is that he rubs some people the wrong way? That really should be a factor in whether you like something in my opinion.

I think Oslo was a disappointment but his newest one had a lot of good material. Also, every fan of comedy who's even a casual fan of Stanhope will usually tell you that all his magic is at his live show where he can riff and roll along with the audience, which sounds about right as Stanhope constantly tells people that he hates recording albums as it's too rigid. I've never been to a live show of his but I have several good quality bootlegs that I have enjoyed far more than all of his albums(save for "sicko" and "taking the edge off").

All in all, while I love Stanhope, I think he's an obviously depressed alcoholic carrying around a lot of mental/emotional baggage. He obviously channels that into humor better than most, but that seems to fit most great comics down to the tee.

Chromatic fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Aug 1, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I don't think any comedian's stand-up sounds more like you're listening to a therapy session than Marc Maron. And I love him for it.