Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Bob Morales posted:

:eng101: Mac laptops have higher-energy USB ports than their PC counterparts

Yep that's why I was recommending it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Bob Morales posted:

This is good to know, thanks! :)

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Bob Morales posted:

Is this documented or verified somewhere? Whos to say 'PCs' always stay to spec?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Shaocaholica posted:

Whos to say 'PCs' always stay to spec?

They have more respect for standards than Apple does.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
To be clear, Apple tends to exceed this particular spec rather than meet it.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
"Mac laptops" is a pretty misleading term anyway. There is definitely a bunch of bullshit like only the first USB port that you plug a high-current device into being designated as high current (until the next reboot) on a bunch of models.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4049

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jul 20, 2012

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

kuskus posted:

I've sold maybe 25 items via Marketplace between notebooks, devices and parts, and they always sell immediately (aside from unpopular RAM). About half the time to military / universities. I've only incurred problems twice- just before iPad 3rd gen came out I had people return an iPad 2 _twice_ for no reason and that was such a headache. "A to Z" return policy. Sending my stuff to Amazon and letting them handle any returns is totally worth it. I don't ever plan to offer product support as I'm just unloading my gently-used gear.
Cool, I'm just thinking about unloading my iPad 2 soon...but ran into the return for no reason thing before with my first iPad (also the only thing I've sold so far on there). Wonder why they just ate my iPad upon return (and gave me reimbursement money) vs what you went through.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

ptier posted:

try buying one and see how fast it requires escrow or a brother in Nigeria. At least that's how it used to be, the PayPal merging might have squashed that. But I doubt it.

Didn't eBay buy Paypal like 10 years ago?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Shaocaholica posted:

Is this documented or verified somewhere? Whos to say 'PCs' always stay to spec?

Apple Computers and Displays: Powering Periphials Through USB

quote:

Apple computers and displays with USB 1.1 or USB 2 ports provide:

Up to 500 mA (Milliamps) at 5 V (Volts) to most Apple USB peripherals and all USB peripherals not made by Apple in compliance with USB specifications.
Apple computers with USB 3 ports provide:

Up to 900 mA (milliamps) at 5 V (Volts) to most Apple USB peripherals and all USB peripherals not made by Apple in compliance with USB specifications.

Note: Some USB peripheral devices not manufactured by Apple may have unique power requirements. These may exceed the power allotment on an individual USB port. Those devices may require you connect them to multiple USB ports or may have external power sources that must be present for them to function.

Apple peripheral devices may request more than 500 mA (Milliamps) at 5 V (Volts) from a port to function or to allow for faster charging. Such Apple peripheral devices include:

Apple MacBook Air SuperDrive (when connected to supported computers)
  • Aluminum Wired Keyboard*
  • iPod
  • iPhone
  • iPad
To meet requests for additional power from these Apple peripherals and devices, some Apple computers and displays can provide up to 1100 mA at 5 V through the port to which the Apple peripheral or device is connected. This power is available under certain conditions:

An Apple peripheral device must be plugged directly into an Apple computer or display. Apple peripheral devices connected to hubs will not have access to extra power above the standard USB specification of the port the device is connecting to (500 mA for USB 1.1 or 2, 900 mA for USB 3).
Your Apple computer or display must be powered on and must be awake. If your Apple computer or display is asleep, all ports will provide their normal maximum output. If your Apple computer or display is powered off, no power will be provided.
The port providing extra power is determined by the first Apple peripheral or device to connect to the Apple computer or display that requires power beyond 500 mA for USB 1.1 or 2, or 900 mA for USB 3. The remaining ports will continue to offer their normal maximum output. Some Apple computer and displays may offer the ability to operate more than one USB port at 1100 mA at 5 V. On those computers, the second or third port is enabled when an appropriate device is connected.
An Apple computer started up to Windows via BootCamp will not provide extra power.

It looks like it only works for Apple devices. No idea on if any PC's have similar support.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

Bob Morales posted:

Didn't eBay buy Paypal like 10 years ago?

2008 was when they required Paypal as a payment option on all listings though.

Whatever eBay is scamy.

ptier fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jul 20, 2012

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

ptier posted:

2008 was when they required Paypal as a payment option on all listings though.

Whatever eBay is scamy.

I've had good luck selling phones, I've sold about 10 items in the last year and only been contacted by a Nigerian once.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jul 20, 2012

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

Stick100 posted:

I've had good luck selling phones, I've sold about 10 items in the last year and only been contacted by a Nigerian 1 once.

Then I stand corrected. I admit that I walked away during the real bad scam times and never looked back. If it's better then awesome. Make that money.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Yeah I think the best course of action is to just tell my gf to bring her macbook air when she visits me tonight and i'll see if my portable.burner works with only 1 USB port connected.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
I'm getting a Macbook5,1 (one of the aluminum models). I think they were known for bad fans/overheating? Either way, I'm planning on redoing the thermal grease and maybe installing a new fan if it's necessary.

in short, what is necessary maintenance for those aluminum Macbooks?

edit: I have one of those external DVD burners that has two USB plugs for extra power, most of the time it was totally fine with just one of the plugs connected to my old MBP

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

ACID POLICE posted:

I'm getting a Macbook5,1 (one of the aluminum models). I think they were known for bad fans/overheating? Either way, I'm planning on redoing the thermal grease and maybe installing a new fan if it's necessary.

in short, what is necessary maintenance for those aluminum Macbooks?

If you like using your genitalia in the future don't roam YouTube for music videos with the computer on your lap. Also when I changed the thermal paste it made no difference so YMMV.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Sprat Sandwich posted:

If you like using your genitalia in the future don't roam YouTube for music videos with the computer on your lap. Also when I changed the thermal paste it made no difference so YMMV.

I just got one and it runs fairly hot - moreso than my '10 or '11 Pro (at least as far as I remember)

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Sprat Sandwich posted:

And laptops also require a small gap on the bottom for good cooling through the bottom vents so not using in on a table is bad thermally.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Petey posted:

Well, just ordered a July 2011 refurb MBA. 1.8 GHz Dual Core i7, 256 GB HD, 4 GB RAM, for $1199. Would have liked more RAM but couldn't add to the refurb and got ~20% off so I feel pretty good about the deal.

Hoooraaay.

Posting from my new machine.

Oh my god, this is glorious.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Next time someone says "You can get a Sony/Dell/whatever for $599 that has the same specs as a Apple...."

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

Next time someone says "You can get a Sony/Dell/whatever for $599 that has the same specs as a Apple...."

I assume that's plastic and not aluminium, though, right? :ohdear:

I remember neckbeards from my high school who had laptops that ended up looking like that. I think their abysmal hygiene was a significant factor in how they ended up looking.

Frankly, I think the laptop in the photo is a really low-tier model. There will always be plastic crap that ends up looking like that in no time - same with keyboards.

I'd like to see you do the same thing to a ThinkPad, though. :colbert:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

ufarn posted:

I assume that's plastic and not aluminium, though, right? :ohdear:

I remember neckbeards from my high school who had laptops that ended up looking like that. I think their abysmal hygiene was a significant factor in how they ended up looking.

Frankly, I think the laptop in the photo is a really low-tier model. There will always be plastic crap that ends up looking like that in no time - same with keyboards.

I'd like to see you do the same thing to a ThinkPad, though. :colbert:

$1049 retail according to this review:
http://www.cnet.com/laptops/sony-vaio-vpcs111fm-s/4505-3121_7-33974720.html

Bottom line is painted/glossy plastic laptops are just awful.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Frankly that's really more a dig on Sony than anything else; it just shows that they've made the decision to join all the other PC vendors in cheaping out as much as possible.

Look at the Dell XPS 13; it looks gorgeous on a web page but go to a B&M retailer and handle one; yep really light but it's no MacBook Air; the aluminum is only on the top of the display and the bezel, the rest of the machine is pure carbon fiber.

In hardware related matters, the original two revisions of the MacBook Air really suck in my opinion; I really wonder why Apple chose to use the PATA based SSD's instead of waiting for the SATAs to emerge. The ZIF cables are super delicate and many of those first generation SSDs are starting to fail now, forcing people to buy up those Taiwanese SSDs based on the older technology.

And the USB/headphone/external monitor 'hatch' was just really badly thought out. If it were modded to 'lock' in place either opened or closed (both would have been nice) it wouldnt be such a pain to deal with.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The first version(s) almost always suck. I'm sure a couple years from now people will talk about how the first Retina MBP's design was rear end.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
I noticed a bright white spot on my rMBP display yesterday. I'm not sure when it appeared, but it wasn't there when I bought it. Either way, a genius swapped it out on the spot.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

The first version(s) almost always suck.
Exactly.

That 1.8" HDD was super loving slow too. 30-40MB/s

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I've been playing around with the aluminum Macbook I just got and I forgot how thick they are compared to the Air. The palm rest feels a mile off the desk. By comparison, the Air feels like using an Apple keyboard, instead of a keyboard with a book under it.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
Those MacBook Pros are great and are legitimately very thin, but then you get used to a MacBook Air and it's like you can't get un-used to it

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Bob Morales posted:

I just got one and it runs fairly hot - moreso than my '10 or '11 Pro (at least as far as I remember)

So the temperature is just a consequence of the design, then? That's too bad if even changing the thermal paste doesn't help much, but all my Apple laptops are from around that time period so I guess I'm just used to them running pretty hot.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

ACID POLICE posted:

So the temperature is just a consequence of the design, then? That's too bad if even changing the thermal paste doesn't help much, but all my Apple laptops are from around that time period so I guess I'm just used to them running pretty hot.

Keep an eye on the battery too - fairly sure that was one of the ones that would expand and ruin the machine if you didn't remove it soon enough

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

dissss posted:

Keep an eye on the battery too - fairly sure that was one of the ones that would expand and ruin the machine if you didn't remove it soon enough

good thinking, i'll be watching out for that. although if the machine's been okay from the time the previous owner bought it until now, hopefully it'll stay okay.

by the way, i used to have a 2008 15" macbook pro, so i guess it was made in the same era. that got super hot too, but i just used SMCFanControl and bumped the minimum RPM up to like 4500 and it was totally fine after that. anyone else tried that out? obviously i'll test it out and see when it gets here, but always good to know.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

ACID POLICE posted:

i just used SMCFanControl and bumped the minimum RPM up to like 4500 and it was totally fine after that. anyone else tried that out? obviously i'll test it out and see when it gets here, but always good to know.

The fans being on really annoys me.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

When you get that MacBook and have it opened up, make sure you have some canned air handy to clean out all the dust that'll probably be in there. The fan blades especially, as dust tends to cake up on them and when that happens their efficiency plummets.

smcFanControl is a handy thing, use it as well as you can, as it's only $40-50 to replace a MacBook fan versus $500 and up to replace a MacBook logic board of the Early/Mid 2009 vintage.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jul 22, 2012

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Pretty close to getting a 13" Air. Is there anything it can't do in terms of performance I should know about? I am not a Photoshop/movie-editing guy, so that doesn't apply, and I don't render nor compile stuff for hours either.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

ufarn posted:

Pretty close to getting a 13" Air. Is there anything it can't do in terms of performance I should know about? I am not a Photoshop/movie-editing guy, so that doesn't apply, and I don't render nor compile stuff for hours either.

In that case you are only missing out on some HARDCORE PC GAMING but who cares about that on a laptop.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
No problems running 720p video and multiple tabs? I guess the latter is RAM dependent.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

It will do 1080p easily and while having 4GB RAM might get some swapping the SSD is fast enough to make it pretty much unnoticeable.

luvd
Sep 29, 2011

don't like omelettes but i'll eat crepes all day long

ufarn posted:

No problems running 720p video and multiple tabs? I guess the latter is RAM dependent.

Get the 8GB of RAM and it'll be more than good enough.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

a bad poster yall posted:

Get the 8GB of RAM and it'll be more than good enough.

And it's not a big price increase in the cost given that upgrading the thing down the road if you change you mind is impossible.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

NESguerilla posted:

Off the top of my head I have tried reset pram,new user, DNS change, erasing all other networks, erasing some "corrupted" files, moving router +probably 50 other things tech support guys ask me to do. It never works. I am lucky if I can get online for 5 minutes without it kicking me off and get's worse every day.

It's still under warranty but they always ask me to call back again before they have to "escalate" it. It's broken. It was broken the day i got it.

FWIW, I installed the Mountain Lion GM the other day and haven't had any wifi problems. It looks like they replaced the driver with this update, and it's definitely not running the older SL IO80211Family.kext from Snow Leopard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rsjr
Nov 2, 2002

yay for protoss being so simple that retards can win with it

ufarn posted:

I replaced my Air with a rMBP due to performance issues running VMs (Windows 7 running Visual Studio, etc.). That's the only time I ever had issues with it, but unfortunately for me it was large part of my usage. Photoshop, etc. worked flawlessly and you should have no problem. This was with the 4GB Air and due to ram. I'm sure if I went with a 8GB 2012 Air, I'd been fine too.