Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smegmalicious
Mar 13, 2002

I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

When people glue the doors on.

Even with the doors off it can obstruct line of sight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Tequila Ranger posted:

Speaking of a quagmire, if your opponent, knowing that they are playing a first-timer, proceedes to put down one of the following:

Space Wolves: Specifically, Grey Hunters in Razorbacks + Long Fang spam
Dark Eldar: Specifically, 3 Ravagers + Venom Spam
Grey Knights: Just about anything where they take 5-6+ of the same thing

... You should understand that this is a subtle message among veteran 40K players. He is letting you know that he is willing to take all the time needed for you to learn the rules of the game. Another player might see this and think that your opponent is looking to use a tournament list to stomp a newbie to pad his w/l ratio, but thats not it at all! By putting this sort of army on the table, he or she is, in effect, saying "Hey, dude, take your time, I'm in no rush!" and you should not squander this opportunity. Look at your watch, figure out how much time you have left, and be sure to use every minute of it. You need to get everything you can out of this learning experience, so be sure to look up every rule before you use it, and ask lots of questions. Measure everything twice, carefully consider every move, and be sure to shake your dice for a long time before any roll. Finishing the game isn't primary, it isn't even secondary, in fact, the best result is that you run out of time in turn 3, shake hands and call it a tie.

mmj posted:

This man is wise beyond his years.

ManiacMatt posted:

I think I might be in love

OK, sorry, have to ask as a new player: what's the joke here, with the list examples and taking your time? (I run mostly DE at the moment)

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

krushgroove posted:

OK, sorry, have to ask as a new player: what's the joke here, with the list examples and taking your time? (I run mostly DE at the moment)

The lists are hard and not meant to play against noobs, the methods of stalling the game by taking your time are incredibly frustrating, and will piss off anyone who is playing hard lists against noobs, deservedly so.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

numerrik posted:

So I am entered in a tournament next weekend with some special rules.

Basically, Minimum 1 troop choice, 400 point max. No HQ required, you can designate a sergeant as warlord if you don't take an HQ. No models with more than 2 wounds, or having 2+/2++ saves. You need to have the models you play, properly based, but not painted. And an In-Print Codex. They are cutting me slack on the codex, because technically the Sister's Codex isn't in print as of this month, and hasn't been for about a year.

The list I am thinking of taking is:

Ladies on the Ground

10x Battle Sisters 125
Superior as Designated Warlord

10x Battle Sisters 125
1x Flamer 5
1x Melta Bombs on Superior 5

10x Battle Sisters 125
2x Flamers 5
1x Melta Bombs on Superior 5

Does this sound solid? Any suggestions if you don't think it's a solid list?

e: I forgot, you also can't take vehicles with 34 or more points of armor when you add up the front armor, rear armor, and one side's armor.

This sounds like it could be fun. Are you sure the flamers are worth taking? I don't know the Sisters' options with regard to heavy/special weapons, but I feel like a grenade launcher, plasma gun, or something else with a low-ish AP might be more appropriate.

Jesus you could take 2 IG platoons with 3 squads each and still have enough points left over to blow on one grenade launcher per squad :stare:

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Fix posted:

The lists are hard and not meant to play against noobs, the methods of stalling the game by taking your time are incredibly frustrating, and will piss off anyone who is playing hard lists against noobs, deservedly so.

Got it now - at least I feel a tiny bit better that I haven't stocked up on Venoms off eBay :unsmith: but I have got 6 Raiders now :smith: and one Ravager (unbuilt)

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Minion of Cthulhu posted:

This sounds like it could be fun. Are you sure the flamers are worth taking? I don't know the Sisters' options with regard to heavy/special weapons, but I feel like a grenade launcher, plasma gun, or something else with a low-ish AP might be more appropriate.

Jesus you could take 2 IG platoons with 3 squads each and still have enough points left over to blow on one grenade launcher per squad :stare:

Battle Sisters can take Storm Bolters(up to 2) Flamers(up to 2) or heavy bolters(up to 1) for 5, Meltaguns(up to 2) or multi-meltas(up to 1) for 10, and heavy flamers(up to 1) for 20. The Reroll act of faith thing instead of weapons on one sister(up to 1) for 20. Superiors can switch out their bolt pistol or bolter for a chainsword (free), Storm bolter(3), Power sword or combi-flamer/plasma/melta(10), condemner boltgun or plasma pistol(20). They may also take melta bombs(5).

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

krushgroove posted:

Got it now - at least I feel a tiny bit better that I haven't stocked up on Venoms off eBay :unsmith: but I have got 6 Raiders now :smith: and one Ravager (unbuilt)

Play what you like, just don't roll up thirty Purifiers on some kid with a starter kit and start talking trash is all. Stay sociable.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Yeah I'm not doing any tournaments or even playing at the GW store, just weekly games with friends. So trash talking is part of it, at least for Dark Eldar/Chaos (which is only me right now). And since we're all learning 6th together, taking our time is definitely part of it.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Babe Magnet posted:

People under-estimate mortars.

They own bones.

Yes, yes they do. I once made a joke list where I had something like 30 or so mortars. They pounded the board flat. Luckily I was fighting 'Nids, so I didn't have to worry about pesky vehicles being untouchable from the relentless shelling.

It just sucks how long a turn can take when you are placing dozens of small blast templates everywhere.

Even in a serious list, one or two heavy weapon teams of mortars are a great idea. Super cheap and always underestimated, they can rip apart any basic infantry as they move towards your lines.

Fashionable Jorts fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jul 20, 2012

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

kannonfodder posted:

Yes, yes they do. I once made a joke list where I had something like 30 or so mortars. They pounded the board flat. Luckily I was fighting 'Nids, so I didn't have to worry about pesky vehicles being untouchable from the relentless shelling.

It just sucks how long a turn can take when you are placing dozens of small blast templates everywhere.

Even in a serious list, one or two heavy weapon teams of mortars are a great idea. Super cheap and always underestimated, they can rip apart any basic infantry as they move towards your lines.

I once killed 17 Ork Boyz in a single shooting phase with a 3x mortar squad.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

ghetto wormhole posted:

I once killed 17 Ork Boyz in a single shooting phase with a 3x mortar squad.

I love it. People will just walk past a mortar team, and then wonder why half of their squad just got turned into paste. I'm very tempted to make a mortar squad + griffon spam list again just to see how it fairs in 6th, now that you can snipe out models with barrage.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
Mortars seem better now that not every list is mech spam, but some lists will still be pretty meched up and hard to crack. They also do nothing against flyers, whereas the other hwts can potentially take them down. Basically the problem is, IG have so many good toys now and with Fortifications and allies I'm never going to have points to put in mortars. I can't even fit in a second Valkyrie. I think a Manticore and an Ordnance Battery fire more than enough blasts to crush infantry.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Moola posted:

Buy one pack and call up for a few free replacements due to casting problems.

Price isn't so bad now. :thumbsup:

No, not :thumbsup:, that's a massively cuntish thing to do, and is basically fraud/theft. It's also likely that that attitude is a huge part of the recent shift in GW policy to make people return defects to the retailer they bought it from.

not lame!
May 9, 2006
STYLE!
Now that ork shoota boyz are so much better than sluggas, does that mean the load of AoBR orks I got was a waste?

Now that 6th has the challenge rules, is it really ideal to give a warboss a power claw?

How feasible is an ork army loosely themed around the Speed Freeks - warboss and retinue in battlewagon, supported by two large squads of boys (also in battlewagons), everything else either a warbike or orks in a trukk. With maybe another big squad of orks to hold an objective etc.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Lungboy posted:

No, not :thumbsup:, that's a massively cuntish thing to do, and is basically fraud/theft. It's also likely that that attitude is a huge part of the recent shift in GW policy to make people return defects to the retailer they bought it from.

Like he isn't legitimately going to need replacements. (Seriously, don't bite that hand and be a fucker.)

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Sole.Sushi posted:

Night Scythes have a transport capacity of 15 models, I thought?

They don't have to fit in it to buy it.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

not lame! posted:

Now that ork shoota boyz are so much better than sluggas, does that mean the load of AoBR orks I got was a waste?

Now that 6th has the challenge rules, is it really ideal to give a warboss a power claw?

How feasible is an ork army loosely themed around the Speed Freeks - warboss and retinue in battlewagon, supported by two large squads of boys (also in battlewagons), everything else either a warbike or orks in a trukk. With maybe another big squad of orks to hold an objective etc.

Now that WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) is out, you can just run your slugga boyz as shoota boyz, just be sure to tell your opponent.

Power klaws are rarely not a good idea, they ignore everything but invulnerable saves.

Speed freaks is a fine idea, just don't expect your trukks to live long.

not lame!
May 9, 2006
STYLE!

Indolent Bastard posted:

Now that WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) is out, you can just run your slugga boyz as shoota boyz, just be sure to tell your opponent.

That just feels wrong :smith:

Guess I can try my hand at converting then...

CrotchPheasant
Jun 7, 2004

nobody important

Deviant posted:

Fast Attack: Canoptek Wraiths (6#, 220 pts)
. . 6 Canoptek Wraiths, 220 pts = 6 * 35 (base cost 35) + Whip Coil x1 10

Fast Attack: Canoptek Wraiths (6#, 220 pts)
. . 6 Canoptek Wraiths, 220 pts = 6 * 35 (base cost 35) + Whip Coil x1 10

I'd love to run 2 units of wraiths, but at $150-188 it's kinda pricey for two units. Know of any good conversions or alternative models?

edit: Nevermind, answered my own question. Puppetswar has some good alternatives at 3 for $25 here: http://puppetswar.eu/product.php?id_product=96

CrotchPheasant fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jul 20, 2012

Shosuro
Nov 30, 2007

CrotchPheasant posted:

Puppetswar has some good alternatives at 3 for $25 here: http://puppetswar.eu/product.php?id_product=96
Just know that those have a tendency to break. So be careful.
Not that the whip coils on the normal ones aren't just waiting to snap.

CaptainPete
Apr 26, 2009

So, with the new allies, I'm thinking about adding in some Sisters or maybe Space Marines to my IG lists. Can some one give me a break down of the pros/cons of each one and maybe offer a 750 point list?

I mainly play blob squads with some tanks for fire support, if that matters.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

CaptainPete posted:

So, with the new allies, I'm thinking about adding in some Sisters or maybe Space Marines to my IG lists. Can some one give me a break down of the pros/cons of each one and maybe offer a 750 point list?

Sister pros: Their blood wards off daemons. Cover your troops in it.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

not lame! posted:

That just feels wrong :smith:

Guess I can try my hand at converting then...

Well if you are going to be that way about it, buy shoota arms off ebay. Use a hobby knife to hack off the one attached arm on your AOBR boyz, glue on the new arms and you should have instant shoota boyz.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Orks-BOYZ-S...=item3cc8eb9010

(other bits sellers are available).

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Shosuro posted:

Just know that those have a tendency to break. So be careful.
Not that the whip coils on the normal ones aren't just waiting to snap.
You know, when I saw the models online my immediate thought was "yep, those coils are breaking immediately." However, in practice they're actually surprisingly durable. Like, toss-em-in-a-bag-together-with-no-regard-for-their-safety durable. They're also way bigger than both the original Wraiths and the Puppets model (and cooler lookin').

CaptainPete posted:

Are you considering Codex: Space Marine units or any Space Marine faction? I ask because Space Wolves are a much more potent Ally, but if you want C:SM specifically that's a bit different. Runepriests with their old-school 24" anti-psyker bubble and Divination are just straight-up better in every way than a stock Librarian.

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jul 20, 2012

CaptainPete
Apr 26, 2009

PierreTheMime posted:

Are you considering Codex: Space Marine units or any Space Marine faction? I ask because Space Wolves are a much more potent Ally, but if you want C:SM specifically that's a bit different. Runepriests with their old-school 24" anti-psyker bubble and Divination are just straight-up better in every way than a stock Librarian.

Regular marines. I've been talking myself out of starting a Raven Guard force for about a year now, but with allies it's a lot harder to do.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I have been reading the fluff from the BA codex quite a bit lately to get a feel for my custom chapter, and something keeps popping up that just didn't seem right. Then the realization hit me.

Is Astoroth actually Santa? It says that he is the only one who executes the Death Company marines who survive the battle and that there are no others. This is not only for the Blood Angels, but also for the successor chapters, excluding Knights of Blood. It also states that the BA view the entire Imperium as their responsibility so they are spread throughout it. The constant threats mean that Astoroth is constantly moving from battlefield to battlefield executing marines. So I ask again, is Astoroth actually Santa, delivering the present of the Emperor's Mercy to the good little Marines?

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
I bought a bunch of regular Boyz boxes when I needed shoota boyz, then I realises that the AOBR sluggas look horrible in comparison due to their 2d posing. So I made all my regular Boyz as sluggas and chopped the arms off the AOBR dudes to repurpose them as shootas, using the spare arms I had left and the occasional repositioning of heads. Now I'm happy with both styles of Boy, despite being a complete pose sperg.

Miles O'Brian fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jul 20, 2012

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
Something you should keep in mind is that And They Shall Know No Fear is conferred to Guardsmen from attached Space Marine ICs. (Not exactly, but the unit benefits from the rule.) This is a huge bonus.

Sisters: Celestine

Codex: Space Marines: Captain Darnath Lysander, Librarian (Gate of Infinity + Null Zone), Sternguard, Assault Terminators, Tactical Terminators, rifleman Dread, Bike Squad, Land Speeder, Stormtalon

Space Wolves: Wolf Lord, Rune Priest, Wolf Guard, rifleman Dread, Thunderwolf Cavalry, Land Speeder, Long Fangs

Blood Angels: almost everything C:SM has plus Librarian (Divination or Blood Lance + Shield of Sanguinius), Honour Guard, Death Company, Stormraven Gunship

Grey Knights: everything

Phyresis fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jul 20, 2012

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!
So I finally convinced my mum, of all people, to try painting a miniature. She's never done anything like this before and until about a week ago drat near bit my head off any time I suggested it, despite how often she'll gaze into the display cases at the GW store. And you know what? For her first ever attempt, she didn't do half bad.

Yeah, I told her gold was probably a bad choice for the armour because of how thin it is but she insisted and I wasn't about to go tell her how she can and can't paint her model. She's looking for advice on how to get better at it and I've helped out where I can but really, I've seen people in the store who've been at this for years pull out models that look absolutely atrocious, not a single solid coat in the entire army. This model looks like a work of art in comparison, and it definitely passes the 3 feet test.

Now to convince her to paint an entire army of orks :getin:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

not lame! posted:

I wouldn't ditch your slugga boyz just yet, it just depends on how you use them. Slugga boyz are good if you plan on getting stuck in with the enemy and want to win a war of attrition. That extra attack per model also means you can consider doing things like multi-charging. Yes you take more hits, but to be honest Overwatch isn't the end of assault. I like to put my slugga boyz in battlewagons and have my shoota boyz on foot. So far in the 3 games I've gotten in they've done admirably.

I love my warboss with a PK. At T5 they're going to survive most assaults that don't involve force weapons or other sources of ID, and with S10 they can pretty much krump anything.

Speed Freeks are very viable. Battlewagons make excellent transports, most opponents will really struggle against 40 slugga boyz charging them at once, and bikes (especially nob bikers) are really good this edition. If you check my post history I put up a 1500 point list that's fairly speed freekish and I've really enjoyed playing. Deffkoptas and dakkajets are also really awesome ork units that work really well for speed freeks.

Indolent Bastard posted:

Wait, what? Where is this? That doesn't make much sense given that how you model power weapons dictates what the power weapon actually is.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
It's time for me to sell some of my older and/or unused models in order to make room for new daemons! I'll get a thread up later today in SA Mart, but I'll be listing a bunch of Imperial Guard:

4 Leman Russ (One battle tank, one demolisher, and two punisher/executioner/demolisher, one in box) - The demolisher is the old one with metal weapons
1 Chimera
1 Basilisk
A Cadian Battleforce (Command Squad, 20 Infantry, 3 Heavy Weapon Teams, Sentinel)
A Catachan Battleforce (Command Squad, 20 Infantry, 3 Heavy Weapon Teams, Sentinel)
An extra Catachan command squad, made into a Marbo, a medic, and a master of ordinance
1 Scout sentinel
2 Cadian Officers with Power Weapons (metal)

and also an original Bloodthirster and an original Lord of Change.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

CaptainPete posted:

St. Whatshername added to a blob makes them fearless and gives her a delivery mechanism. Add some sisters in a rhino or whatever and you are golden.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

JesustheDarkLord posted:

It's time for me to sell some of my older and/or unused models in order to make room for new daemons! I'll get a thread up later today in SA Mart, but I'll be listing a bunch of Imperial Guard:

I'll probably be down for some on this provided it's priced okay. I can't stop buying Allies now :suicide: I don't know if you're going to want to sell it all to one person or piecemeal. Unforunately I'm about to head out for a bunch of errands--I'm going to be sad if the thread goes up and I miss it.

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jul 20, 2012

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Fix posted:

I was super proud of winning against a brutally constructed ravager+venomspam list with the 1850pt version of that ork list I posted a couple pages back. It was my first time playing against dark eldar, and I don't think he could have put together a tougher army if he'd tried.

Just saying, it's a great list.

Now, to see how it fares against grey knights!!

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

PierreTheMime posted:

I'll probably be down for some on this provided it's priced okay. I can't stop buying Allies now :suicide: I don't know if you're going to want to sell it all to one person or piecemeal. Unforunately I'm about to head out for a bunch of errands--I'm going to be sad if the thread goes up and I miss it.

I don't want to get stuck with an unusable portion of IG, so I'd like to sell it as a lot. I can probably break it into two big chunks pretty evenly. I won't be posting for another six hours or so because my wife has my camera and is at work.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Lungboy posted:

I was actually joking about how any finecast you order is still pretty much garunteed to be faulty, and the silver lining is you might get a free replacement/refund that justifies the high cost.

Not, totally order some finecast then call up and pretend it's faulty for free shits yo! :thumbsup:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Sykic posted:

She's looking for advice on how to get better at it and I've helped out where I can but really, I've seen people in the store who've been at this for years pull out models that look absolutely atrocious, not a single solid coat in the entire army. This model looks like a work of art in comparison, and it definitely passes the 3 feet test.

Your mum owns. Buy her a forums account, then warn her to only post in the painting thread.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Sykic posted:

So I finally convinced my mum, of all people, to try painting a miniature. She's never done anything like this before and until about a week ago drat near bit my head off any time I suggested it, despite how often she'll gaze into the display cases at the GW store. And you know what? For her first ever attempt, she didn't do half bad.

Yeah, I told her gold was probably a bad choice for the armour because of how thin it is but she insisted and I wasn't about to go tell her how she can and can't paint her model. She's looking for advice on how to get better at it and I've helped out where I can but really, I've seen people in the store who've been at this for years pull out models that look absolutely atrocious, not a single solid coat in the entire army. This model looks like a work of art in comparison, and it definitely passes the 3 feet test.

For what it's worth, chucking a devlan mud/whatever the new one wash is over gold makes it look WAY better. But yeah, that's a million times better than my first attempt at painting anything.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

pw pw pw posted:

I was super proud of winning against a brutally constructed ravager+venomspam list with the 1850pt version of that ork list I posted a couple pages back. It was my first time playing against dark eldar, and I don't think he could have put together a tougher army if he'd tried.

Just saying, it's a great list.

Now, to see how it fares against grey knights!!

At the rate I'm going, I'm probably days away from getting shitloads of Venoms and Wyches, and a couple more Raiders, but hopefully if/when I do get there (and don't give up and just use CSM exclusively) this story is at least heartening for my Dark Eldar. If you can remember, can I ask what the guy did with his units that made it a super hard game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Fix posted:

If I have my list assembled and ready I'm not going to spend another hour or two changing things to make it weaker to "accommodate" a newbie (and this is assuming I even have the extra models on hand), getting rid of transports would make the game progress even slower since you switch from moving a vehicle to moving entire squads of infantry (gently caress you 'game called off on turn 3' tide), fielding a hard list by no means signifies the player is experienced with it and he could be trying to get a feel for it too, perhaps even specifically against whatever non-standard list a newbie would put together, and finally the newbie himself, rules learning aside (which you'd assume he's already gotten down decently at least to field something in the 1k+ range, for otherwise he should stick to very small games until he can move units without reading out from the BRB), has now been faced with the type of list that for anyone with half a brain and as much common sense to go with it, will engender meaningful thoughts such as "maybe I should bring more anti-tank" or "maybe I should bring more guns so I can kill terminators" or "transports seem kind of useful, maybe I shouldn't try to walk my marines across the board".

But that's just me. I'm sure everyone else just pits lists they got off the net and their loaded dice against newbies to thoroughly crush them and feel better about themselves, as if that would assuage the impotent rage at going bald, their wives cheating on them with their coworker and their daughter dating that douchebag hipster.

• Locked thread