Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asstro Van
Apr 15, 2007

Always check your blind spots before backing that thang up.

Bad Munki posted:

Gotta admit, I'm curious how he got up there.

Like, did it start with a handstand? :confused:

I assumed they held him up there or gave him a stepstool until the deed was done.

Much like my dumb cousin will have to do when she breeds her Weimaraner/GSD puppy to her 13 year old chihuahua. :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

Please euth your cousin.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Apparently my dog is a ferret :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3lV--rzTyE

She was unaware that the rabbits were inside of the big thing, as opposed to underneath it, so failed in her quest to get them.

Does anyone have any tips/ideas for exercising older dogs? My 12 year old is getting less and less bothered about things, she pretty much just sleeps all day. I give her her meals in food dispensing toys and she goes on a leash walk each day for around an hour, but she has no interest in fetch/football and refuses to trot when I'm biking, so I'm kind of at a loss. She doesn't get to go off lead unless nobody else is around at all, but if there's nobody around then she only sniffs/mooches around.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Pfox you had better post a thread when you get a puppy. I am dying of puppy fever and I need shiba puppy pics in my life.

This! :stare:

Fraction, personally, when it comes to older dogs I figure they set their own pace. I know you feel bad that your dog is less active, but everyone gets less active as they get older. Hell, I'm only 29 but I'll be damned if staying up past 10 isn't a challenge. Just like every dog has a different energy level, energy levels in dogs can change as they get older. Unless you're struggling with a weight issue or need to build up lost muscle mass, I'd personally let my dog just be lazier. Hell, that's what I do with Buddy. :3:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

AUGH :cry:

A few months ago a scorpion somehow got into the goddamned house and I freaked out, but I managed to kill it without collapsing into a giant pile of sobbing pussy.

I didn't get to sleep until stupid-late last night because I was listening to all that poo poo that went down in Aurora at the batman movie. So when I wake up it's to some super happy dogs because oh my gosh, finally awake! :3:

Except Kaydee's acting weird. She's staring really hard at me, then looking down between Amy and Balen's beds. Then staring at me again. Then staring at the beds. Like "holy gently caress, look down here, something is wrong.". I look down. I see about a billion legs wiggle and SHRIEK at the top of my lungs because gently caress EVERYTHING CENTIPEDE!

I throw the dogs out of the room because augh they could've all been bit, no, stay outside while I vanquish this fucker. I spend the whole time putting shoes on shaking and whimpering because I am loving terrified of these things. I creep into the bedroom. It's still there, why are you still there, why can't you just roll over and die? I yank apart the dog beds and leap on it, tapdance all over it's goddamned head and two loving legs are still waving at me while the rest of it is flat.

It went down the garbage disposal. I spent five minutes just trying to calm down. I haven't even been here a year yet and already a goddamned centipede and a scorpion have tried to destroy me. Why?! Don't you want to live, stupid little bug? Don't you want to run around and kill cool poo poo and generally be a 1terrible blight upon the earth? Stop coming inside and stop traumatizing me! :cry:

But Kaydee's awesome because when I get out of bed, my feet go down right where that son of a bitch was. Kaydee dawg best dawg.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jul 20, 2012

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

uuuuughghgguihg omg. Koji recently did that with the biggest, nastiest cockroach. Never had roaches before, never want to, only ever seen the one on Murdock's box of stuff, so we're hoping it was a fluke.

Of course hubs and I are both equally babies about roaches. So there was a lot of freaking out and being whimps about it while trying to figure out how to get rid of the thing without coming near or touching it. Of course Koji was also a little freaked out by it, would watch it, but wouldn't eat it. Same with crickets and junebugs. Why do you only eat moths?! :cry:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

WolfensteinBag posted:

Fraction, personally, when it comes to older dogs I figure they set their own pace. I know you feel bad that your dog is less active, but everyone gets less active as they get older. Hell, I'm only 29 but I'll be damned if staying up past 10 isn't a challenge. Just like every dog has a different energy level, energy levels in dogs can change as they get older. Unless you're struggling with a weight issue or need to build up lost muscle mass, I'd personally let my dog just be lazier. Hell, that's what I do with Buddy. :3:

I just feel guilty that she spends so much time asleep whilst Lola is constantly running around everywhere. Jess has always been much more laidback anyway, but yeah she pretty much lost all her muscle over the past year or so as she's slowed down even more. I'm just having to keep an eye on her weight so she doesn't get super fat.

We'll continue just having fun walks so she gets some exercise :)

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.
Last year I had a rattlesnake in my living room. My dogs were all just standing a safe distance away from it barking as it sat there coiled up and buzzing. It was not fun but at least I learned my dogs know to leave rattlesnakes alone!

After that, the occasional huge disgusting bug doesn't really bother me.

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"
I live in Las Vegas and roaches are pretty much everywhere. They get in the house through the front door all the time. My cat Chief likes to sit there, laying in wait for some poor, unfortunate critter to wriggle its way through the weather stripping.

Most days I just come downstairs and find only legs on the floor.

:smugdog:

(WTB :smugcat:)

NatashaQuick
Jun 30, 2007

No Mr. Bond,
I expect you to die.

paisleyfox posted:

uuuuughghgguihg omg. Koji recently did that with the biggest, nastiest cockroach. Never had roaches before, never want to, only ever seen the one on Murdock's box of stuff, so we're hoping it was a fluke.

Of course hubs and I are both equally babies about roaches. So there was a lot of freaking out and being whimps about it while trying to figure out how to get rid of the thing without coming near or touching it. Of course Koji was also a little freaked out by it, would watch it, but wouldn't eat it. Same with crickets and junebugs. Why do you only eat moths?! :cry:

Rufus En Fuego posted:

I live in Las Vegas and roaches are pretty much everywhere. They get in the house through the front door all the time. My cat Chief likes to sit there, laying in wait for some poor, unfortunate critter to wriggle its way through the weather stripping.

Most days I just come downstairs and find only legs on the floor.

:smugdog:

(WTB :smugcat:)

Oh God I hate how roaches can just crawl under the door no problems. I think the cats have saved us from them setting up camp many times in the past. They did the same thing with a mouse. He's chomped on house centipedes and stuff, but the scariest thing was when I caught him chasing a brown recluse. Now I'm on the third floor so we don't have to worry about roaches and just get various spiders, but every single night they're loving everywhere on the sidewalk outside :cry: The cats will triumphantly kill anything, but they will not eat spiders and cockroaches. Most anything that flies gets chomped, it's pretty great. I can just yell bug and get at least one cat, wide eyed and excited to kill a thing.

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"

NatashaQuick posted:

Oh God I hate how roaches can just crawl under the door no problems. I think the cats have saved us from them setting up camp many times in the past. They did the same thing with a mouse. He's chomped on house centipedes and stuff, but the scariest thing was when I caught him chasing a brown recluse. Now I'm on the third floor so we don't have to worry about roaches and just get various spiders, but every single night they're loving everywhere on the sidewalk outside :cry: The cats will triumphantly kill anything, but they will not eat spiders and cockroaches. Most anything that flies gets chomped, it's pretty great. I can just yell bug and get at least one cat, wide eyed and excited to kill a thing.

Omg, yes. When Genevieve (my fluffy, fussy, smooshy, gorgeous tortie) was younger she came in from the garage with a black widow in her mouth. The body was entirely inside her mouth, with only the horrible legs wiggling and twitching outside. I never hit my animals, but drat if I didn't slap that thing right out of her face. I had to race her to get to it afterward and squish it with my foot. That bitch was huge, too.

loving desert.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

From another greyhound owner

quote:

...He let Tommy & Sugar out this afternoon when he got home and they chased down a bunny and were playing tug of war with it.

:chord:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Rufus En Fuego posted:

loving desert.

:allears: We had black widows when Gabe and Sarah were actually WITH us. I can't tell you how many of those they murdered. This was on the east coast.

I miss my cats.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

actionjackson posted:

From another greyhound owner

That is a fantastic mental image :allears:

Lola chased six rabbits today on our walk. I really hope she catches one soon, so she can be a Real Bunny Killer.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=473335846012633&set=a.161896980489856.39457.152876678058553&type=3&theater
Watcha guys think this dog is? Ugly pit? Bully mix? Frankiechild?
Shes rather cute, in that her face is smushed oddly way.

And I dont think Ive ever had..animals with... gross creatures things happen in my life. ...........and I am glad for it. Everyone has always ignored bugs. OTOH, I think my 'tiel would Eat Every Bug. If she could catch it. I've had a foster pin a cat down on a walk, but... in his defense, the cat sauntered up and swiped his nose.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Lookit that topline...

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Malalol posted:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=473335846012633&set=a.161896980489856.39457.152876678058553&type=3&theater

And I dont think Ive ever had..animals with... gross creatures things happen in my life. ...........and I am glad for it. Everyone has always ignored bugs. OTOH, I think my 'tiel would Eat Every Bug. If she could catch it. I've had a foster pin a cat down on a walk, but... in his defense, the cat sauntered up and swiped his nose.

She's like a pit blugghhh.

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

:allears: We had black widows when Gabe and Sarah were actually WITH us. I can't tell you how many of those they murdered. This was on the east coast.

I miss my cats.

The only black widow I've ever seen outside of the Mojave desert was in a glass case at the Boston Museum of Science when I was a kid. Please tell me they don't live in the northeast. I'll loving cry.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...

Malalol posted:

At least it looks like her legs aren't set out miles away from her center line, like on some of the ~~amazing~~ hippo dogs. That always looks so drat painful to live with.

Asstro Van
Apr 15, 2007

Always check your blind spots before backing that thang up.
James is currently eating some sort of enormous black fly that snuck in. Next he will meow for 15 minutes, presumably because it tasted bad. I think he is one of those ethical, must eat what I kill sorts of hunters. He never looks like he enjoys it, but he is a freaking bug hoover.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

Malalol posted:

It's just the usual hippo. They're all mixed with various bulldogs and anything stupid looking with a smooshed-in face they could find to breed to their pit bull. Repeat X infinity.

NatashaQuick
Jun 30, 2007

No Mr. Bond,
I expect you to die.

Rufus En Fuego posted:

The only black widow I've ever seen outside of the Mojave desert was in a glass case at the Boston Museum of Science when I was a kid. Please tell me they don't live in the northeast. I'll loving cry.

We have them in Kentucky, though I know the brown recluse doesn't live in the Northeast. I've only seen one black widow in person.

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.
Bandit apparently wants to say hi to y'all since when I opened this thread just now he got all excited and jumped on my keyboard just right in order to open the reply window. I am not even sure how he did that since I was not aware that you could reply to a thread while just hitting keyboard keys.

So hi from Bandit! Also it fulfills the previous request to have more ACD pics in here.

Here is a picture of Bandit taking a break when he is supposed to be working:

He is not as fat as he looks in this picture I swear.

And here is a picture of Bandit contemplating eating a kitten:

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Rufus En Fuego posted:

There are black widows in southern British Columbia.

I'm pretty glad to live in the north. No roaches, black widows, cockroaches, or even fleas! But there is a danger of a grizzly or black bear eating people or dogs when out camping or hiking :(

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

2tomorrow posted:

Bandit apparently wants to say hi to y'all since when I opened this thread just now he got all excited and jumped on my keyboard just right in order to open the reply window. I am not even sure how he did that since I was not aware that you could reply to a thread while just hitting keyboard keys.

So hi from Bandit! Also it fulfills the previous request to have more ACD pics in here.

You don't post enough pics of your dogs :3:. Cute Bandit!

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.
I know, I'm trying to get better about it. :) I just never think to take pictures of them when I'm doing something with them, or if I do I either don't have my camera with me or have my hands full with a horse or something and can't take one. I do have some more on my phone (particularly ones of George doing his SAR stuff) but I still can't manage to find an imgur app that I don't have to force close every time I try to connect it with my account/upload photos and don't know how else to get them off there. :saddowns: I swear there is something wrong with me that makes electronic devices not work right even though I take good care of them. I have the most bizarre problems with like every phone and computer I've ever had.

I do have like a million pictures of Bandit on my computer though, mostly because he is constantly either causing trouble or being adorable (or both) so I've just managed to snap a lot of good ones in the 7 or so years I've owned him. He's a very photogenic dog.

2tomorrow fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jul 20, 2012

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

2tomorrow posted:

I do have like a million pictures of Bandit on my computer though, mostly because he is constantly either causing trouble or being adorable (or both) so I've just managed to snap a lot of good ones in the 7 or so years I've owned him. He's a very photogenic dog.

You know what this means, right?

Make yourself a photodump thread, tia

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.

Fraction posted:

Ok, I will work on it. It will take me some time to get the pictures uploaded but I am just working at home all weekend so will have plenty of time to waste on it. I will give you guys a proper introduction to my little devil Bandit (with any bonus pics of his buddies that I come across) by Sunday night. :)

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

2tomorrow posted:

His masking is fantastic! I always like seeing other people's ACDs. I actually met someone with two Stumpy tailed cattle dogs a week ago. I'd never seen one in person before.

ToastFaceKillah
Dec 25, 2010

every day could be your last
in the jungle

2tomorrow posted:

I didn't know Salvador Dali was a breeder. That dog is fantastic.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

I had a pretty major health scare this week and my mom came down to help me out. We spent most of today cleaning and running errands (I guess she wanted me too tired and busy to worry) and Bailey was just so freaked out. He also doesn't "get" my mom. Sometimes he'd just stare at her or look at her, beg for a belly rub and then bitch about being petted. Its so weird because he loves my dad, but then again he knows him better.

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.

Fraction posted:

Okay I started one. Mostly because I'm procrastinating right now and I think it's all stuff I've posted before (or at least stuff already on my imgur account) but I'll add more over the next few days.

wtftastic posted:

I had a pretty major health scare this week and my mom came down to help me out. We spent most of today cleaning and running errands (I guess she wanted me too tired and busy to worry) and Bailey was just so freaked out. He also doesn't "get" my mom. Sometimes he'd just stare at her or look at her, beg for a belly rub and then bitch about being petted. Its so weird because he loves my dad, but then again he knows him better.

Hope you're doing okay. I've had some health scares and I think the dogs have even more trouble dealing with new people because they're worried about me. Bandit bit my husband after we'd been married 5 years when I was injured and Bandit was worried about me. It's hard on them I think.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

So. Cattle Dogs. I don't know how anyone NOT on a farm can own one. Had one come into work today and holy poo poo, so much energy. He kept trying to get the other dogs to play, when all they wanted to do was lay around, try to keep cool in the heat and laze about in front of the many fans we have.

After he figured out no one wanted to play, he tried to get ME to play. Oh god how I wanted to play with him, but I had stuff to do! So I gave him a pat on the head and told him to be good while I did stuff, and he stayed in the main area with the other dogs. A couple minutes later, I feel a nose on the back of my knee. The dog had figured out how to work the latch on the gate. :staredog:

I can't imagine trying to keep a dog like that in the city AND keep it from going insane due to boredom.

He was a real cutie though. :3:

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.
I think it depends on the dog and the owner. My Dan is an ACD/Border Collie mix and is even higher-energy/drive than any of my pure cattle dogs and he did great as a city dog when he was young. It was a ton of work though. I mean, really. I think my high-drive GSD is easy by comparison (to the point that I've recommended GSDs as chill pet dogs in PI :blush:). But I kept Dan for years in a studio apartment with no yard and he was and is an amazingly well-behaved dog, to the point that even non-dog-people loved him. I think a lot of it is him though, he's just a cool dog. Plus I lead a really active lifestyle and take at least one dog with me virtually everywhere.

On the other hand, Bandit was nearly put down because his behavior got so bad living in town. He was being kept in a small house/yard in Denver with no exercise though. He's still a little mouthy and a bit of a troublemaker but really the cure was exercise and stimulation.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

When I get bored I look at OFRN pics and lmao @ how hilariously bad the shapes are. Moses is related to roughly half of these dogs:

http://www.pittrpatter.com/OFRN.html

WHO NEEDS A NECK LOL

I think I'm going to condition him so I can look at how much is the actual shape he's taking on vs. fat. I've let him tub about and the last time I conditioned him was about 6 months ago, so I really need to get on it and take a look.

Also, he has taken to constantly catching skinks like 24/7:

So I've been working with him on returning the things he catches to hand without killing them- I'm fine with him getting rats and mice and insert vermin here, but there's no need for every living thing that comes within the borders of our yard to die, so I began working with transforming "get it" from "annihilate this thing" to "catch the thing and hold it still." Since he generally grabs a thing and gives it one or two good shakes, I've been teaching "you get it and you SHAKE IT" for "it is okay to kill this thing." We hunt rats a few times a week, and in between there's the usual "catch but don't kill" stuff he goes after, so we've had plenty of opportunity to practice both. This week he finally brought me a thing live completely without any commands or intervention, so it's paying off :3:

A few messed up scales on its belly, but otherwise he barely touched it which is amazing- he has a really, really hard mouth:

(I took it well outside the borders of our yard and let it go. No skinks died that day.)

We're going :banjo: coon huntin :banjo: this fall with an acquaintance that has a plott, a couple blueticks, and some hog dog pit/american bulldog mixes. Can't wait to see how he does.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
How/how long does it take for you to condition Moses into looking how you want?? Hes also the stupidest looking sealthing when you can't see his ears. I love it.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Here's a thing: There's a Pit at work, who's awesome. His name is Blu and he's sweet and super-energetic. He also has hot spots all over and he scratched his chest so bad, that the day he was dropped off, I touched the spot, and there was blood on my fingertips. :(

Found out his owner is a 15 year-old girl, related to one of the people I work with. Who buys their 15 year-old kid a pit? Who thinks that a 15 year-old can take proper care of a Pit? It boggles the mind.

Edit: Hot spots AND bug bites on his rear.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Malalol posted:

How/how long does it take for you to condition Moses into looking how you want?? Hes also the stupidest looking sealthing when you can't see his ears. I love it.

26-30 days

Might take a little longer since my bike is in storage though :(

Bash Ironfist posted:

Here's a thing: There's a Pit at work, who's awesome. His name is Blu and he's sweet and super-energetic. He also has hot spots all over and he scratched his chest so bad, that the day he was dropped off, I touched the spot, and there was blood on my fingertips.

Found out his owner is a 15 year-old girl, related to one of the people I work with. Who buys their 15 year-old kid a pit? Who thinks that a 15 year-old can take proper care of a Pit? It boggles the mind.

Edit: Hot spots AND bug bites on his rear.

Everyone owns pits, forever. They're prob 60%+ of the dogs in shelters.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Superconsndar posted:

26-30 days

Might take a little longer since my bike is in storage though :(

Everyone owns pits, forever. They're prob 60%+ of the dogs in shelters.

But..but I don't own a Pit. At least I thought I don't. Do I? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Bash Ironfist posted:

But..but I don't own a Pit. At least I thought I don't. Do I? :ohdear:

You do, it's just mixed with flatfacethings. Ladies took their husband's pits and crossed them with ugly poo poo until they were bostons. There's a reason I tolerate Frankie: he legit acts like a pit bull, he just can't loving breathe so he doesn't require as much effort.

• Locked thread