Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

nexus6 posted:

What do you guys use for a calendar widget? I don't like having to open the calendar app just to view the events for a particular day. The best I've used is the GO calendar widget but I'm not using the GO launcher anymore.
I use two, depending on what I need. Android Agenda Widget is amazingly customizable but that's kind of the problem: the interface is a clusterfuck. Once you get it looking like you like it's good and it's the only one I've found that support Google Task app integration.

Android Pro Widgets looks exactly how I want it to look but it has two problems. One, it doesn't support Google Tasks at all (which is why I keep the other around) and two, the app hasn't been updated to use Jelly Bean's new Event Colors. I've bugged the developer about it but I think I might as well do it again since the Android Agenda Widget dev fixed his a couple days ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
I've also been looking for a calendar widget. The one that comes with Launcher Pro is near perfect, but considering that LP has been abandoned and doesn't even work on ICS, that's kinda out too. I've been going with the free version of Angenda Widget, but it's not really a good replacement. In particular, I'd like it if there were a shortcut button to add an event.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
I bought Pure Grid Calendar Widget some time back, and it works pretty well. It has different sizes, new event shortcuts and customizable. Looks like it's $1.79

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH
Android Pro Widgets has a calendar widget that is themable and has a quick add event feature that is pretty intelligent. Worth checking out.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
Are there any good pinball games for android? Preferably one that features real life machines like pinball arcade for ios.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Since we're on the topic of calendar widgets...

My wife uses LauncherPro on her CM7'd Incredible 2, and I'm looking to replace the calendar widget that LP uses with something else.

What she's looking for is a calendar widget that allows a month view, and when you click on a day, it launches the calendar app for that particular day and she can add from there.

Current LP calendar widget switches to agenda view for the particular day when the month-view day is clicked.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

kmcormick9 posted:

Are there any good pinball games for android? Preferably one that features real life machines like pinball arcade for ios.

Pinball Aracade, in fact. I found everything to be a bit small though, even on the N7. I'd actually like something more like Psycho Pinball where it scrolls, not fussed about super-realism.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

hooah posted:

Where can I snag an apk of the browser from the I/O release of Jelly Bean? I just switched to Bugless Beast, but I prefer the old stock browser with the quick controls to Chrome.

Someone got it ported to the N7 with reasonable success so maybe this will help you somehow:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1780746

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Whoa, did anyone notice the stock Jelly Bean browser allows you to invert the colors?

SmokeyXIII
Apr 19, 2008
Not Stephen Harper in Disguise.

That is simply not true.
Does anyone know of an alternative to itunes for movies/TV shows that is available in Canada? I found 7digital, and its been working out great for music but they don't do any videos.

E: Also sorry if this isn't exactly the best place for this question!

SmokeyXIII fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jul 20, 2012

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Alarbus posted:

I bought Pure Grid Calendar Widget some time back, and it works pretty well. It has different sizes, new event shortcuts and customizable. Looks like it's $1.79

I've been using this for the longest time now. I haven't really found anything that I like more. The big thing that it does, that others don't, is the time lines. It has little bars to indicate how long events are on any given day. Makes it easy to guesstimate availability.
This one.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Has anyone here used Zedge? https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.zedge.android

Just wondering how is performs.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Works great. Comes up as an intent option along with Android OS when selecting sounds.

Yikes A Zombie!
Jul 18, 2003

I'm pretty sure there isn't a way to accomplish this but I'm looking for ideas. I want Google Play to only show my online songs, not what's on my device. I use Poweramp for those...

I don't suppose there's an app that streams Google Play.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Why do you need to separate them? Can't you just... scroll past the ones that are on your device?

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

Bonzo posted:

Has anyone here used Zedge? https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.zedge.android

Just wondering how is performs.

I have, it's the best app for finding ringtones. As for performance, I haven't noticed any issues.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Speaking of ringtones, bow howdy the CyanogenMod ringtone is awful. It scared the hell out of me this morning when my phone rang (a rare enough event to be surprising by itself) and I wasn't quite awake and all I could hear was a loud, rough whisper. Followed by terrible techno. I've had better nightmares.

Yikes A Zombie!
Jul 18, 2003

Taffer posted:

Why do you need to separate them? Can't you just... scroll past the ones that are on your device?

I don't need to, just want to. There is an option in play to see offline only, thought I might be able to see streaming only as well.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Manky posted:

Speaking of ringtones, bow howdy the CyanogenMod ringtone is awful. It scared the hell out of me this morning when my phone rang (a rare enough event to be surprising by itself) and I wasn't quite awake and all I could hear was a loud, rough whisper. Followed by terrible techno. I've had better nightmares.

I was thinking the same thing. WTF has been up with the CM media choices. Between the default sounds and the new CID mascot... bleh. At least its all easy to fix issues and the ROM isn't suffering.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.

deong posted:

I was thinking the same thing. WTF has been up with the CM media choices. Between the default sounds and the new CID mascot... bleh. At least its all easy to fix issues and the ROM isn't suffering.

This is what happens when you get a bunch of hackers, programmers, and engineers making aesthetic design choices. You'll occasionally end up with something good, but what they really need is some artists; and not the kind that just recolor their fursona to be cyan as we saw in their mascot contest.

Doodarazumas
Oct 7, 2007

ZShakespeare posted:

This is what happens when you get a bunch of hackers, programmers, and engineers making aesthetic design choices. You'll occasionally end up with something good, but what they really need is some artists; and not the kind that just recolor their fursona to be cyan as we saw in their mascot contest.

The sounds bundled in CM5 were actually a pretty good selection grabbed from a lot of different places, or at least the alarms were. I'll upload it later if anyone wants it.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Yeah, if that's not flagged as :filez:. The SGS3 stock ringtone selection is all cheesy Casio Keyboard music.

Commodore 64
Apr 2, 2007

The sky was the color of a television tuned to a dead channel that was orange
If anyone's looking for a good Tweetdeck replacement; I've just discovered Scope.

It's really slick and brings together Twitter, Facebook, Foursquare, Instagram and Tumblr.
You do need an invite code, but I got one really quickly from the dev. I've also got a few invites myself; if anyone wants to try it out.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
Those of you missing the list of apps that you've purchased through market/play now have an app to get that list back.

http://phandroid.com/2012/07/20/legacy-play-store-brings-back-previously-paid-apps-list-download/

quote:

MoDaCo has provided a “Legacy Play Store” app from yesteryear that runs right along side your regular Play Store. That means, you wont have to worry about the Play Store being force updated and removing your precious paid apps list ever again. Very handy.

Installing the Legacy Play Store on pre-Jelly Bean devices is as easy as sideloading any application. Download, click and begin installation. The elite few of us who are running Jelly Bean on our phones or tablets may need to have root, as the application will have to be pushed to the system/app folder. This not might not be necessary in all instances, but just in case you can’t get it to install “normally.”

Once installed, go into the Legacy Play Store’s settings and turn off notifications so you’re not getting hit with double notifications all across the sky.

direct link to the app posting:
http://www.modaco.com/topic/356009-legacy-play-store-with-all-purchased-apps-visible/

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Okay, the gmail app is so loving worthless in ICS. It was fine in GB. Now I'm finding that I can't get it to display all of my inbox

Any other alternatives?
The stock email app doesn't really work for gmail, either

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Mine works (and looks) better in ICS than Gingerbread, what exactly do you mean by "display all of your inbox"? Are some new messages not showing up, but some are? No new messages? Limited amount of old?

Settings->Manage Labels-> make sure it's setup to Sync what you actually want to have synced.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

DemonMage posted:

Mine works (and looks) better in ICS than Gingerbread, what exactly do you mean by "display all of your inbox"? Are some new messages not showing up, but some are? No new messages? Limited amount of old?

Settings->Manage Labels-> make sure it's setup to Sync what you actually want to have synced.

All of the settings look like what they're supposed to be. My inbox is not displaying all of the emails that are actually in my inbox.
For example, right now, it shows that I have 9 emails from the past week. That looks like a reasonable amount, so I wouldn't question it, but I've needed to check two emails from the past week today, and they're not on that list. Searching for them works, though.

Between this and the notification issue I can't fix, it's not even really worth continuing trying to make this work. I'd rather find a different solution.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

ante posted:

Okay, the gmail app is so loving worthless in ICS. It was fine in GB. Now I'm finding that I can't get it to display all of my inbox

Any other alternatives?
The stock email app doesn't really work for gmail, either

You sure you don't have it set to display the priority inbox?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
What's the best app for capturing screenshots on your phone? All the apps in the market I find require some sort of weird overlay or shaking your phone or some sort of poo poo. I just want to press a button combination or something and take a screenshot seamlessly.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ante posted:

All of the settings look like what they're supposed to be. My inbox is not displaying all of the emails that are actually in my inbox.
For example, right now, it shows that I have 9 emails from the past week. That looks like a reasonable amount, so I wouldn't question it, but I've needed to check two emails from the past week today, and they're not on that list. Searching for them works, though.

Between this and the notification issue I can't fix, it's not even really worth continuing trying to make this work. I'd rather find a different solution.
I've had this happen occasionally too. I haven't had time to troubleshoot it but I'd be interested in why it happens.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

If you have ICS you can hold down volume down and power (or home and power on the SGS3) to take a screenshot. If you have an older phone you'll either have to use one of the crappy apps or a custom ROM that includes screenshot functionality in the power menu.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

DemonMage posted:

If you have ICS you can hold down volume down and power (or home and power on the SGS3) to take a screenshot. If you have an older phone you'll either have to use one of the crappy apps or a custom ROM that includes screenshot functionality in the power menu.

Yeah it's a stock Droid 3 that I just rooted. All of the apps on the market really, really suck.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

I used ShootMe on my MT4G, looks like it's removed from the Market (a long time ago actually) so you'll have to grab it from there. That said it's one of those shake to shoot apps, I don't think there's a way to grab a screenshot on button press without it being built into the ROM.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.

DemonMage posted:

I have tried this on my Note running ICS and it does not work. WIsh it did as the way I capture them now is to drag the side of my hand left-to-right across the screen which is very awkward. Capturing a screenshot with the pen is easy but I don't always have it out.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Are there any Twitter/Facebook apps available that will a) sync contact data with my contacts, and following on from this b) feed their updates into their contact profile in People?

I know Google+ does this, surely the main 2 global social networks should also.

[e] I'm running the 'official' apps for both right now

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Friendcaster does. Because its a third party app what it can see depends on how each of your friends has the permissions on their account set up though so you may end up missing a bunch of stuff.

Official Facebook used to sync like that but Google pulled the special method they were using and Facebook is too pig headed to do sync the proper way.

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

godzirra will trample your scrotum
So what is the best sports alert/tracking app? I I've tried sports tap and the espn ones, and they're both pretty much crap, at least for me.
They either don't save my favorite teams, or simply never alert me to games/plays/scores.
All I want is an app, I don't care about widgets, that'll tell me of inning/quarter ages, scores, and final score. Is that so freaking hard?

SmokeyXIII
Apr 19, 2008
Not Stephen Harper in Disguise.

That is simply not true.

godzirraRAWR posted:

So what is the best sports alert/tracking app? I I've tried sports tap and the espn ones, and they're both pretty much crap, at least for me.
They either don't save my favorite teams, or simply never alert me to games/plays/scores.
All I want is an app, I don't care about widgets, that'll tell me of inning/quarter ages, scores, and final score. Is that so freaking hard?

I use score mobile. I don't follow baseball but I know you can set notifications for things like goals, end of period, close game etc for hockey. Similarly for football I can set up notifications for lots of stuff.

E: baseball has start, end, close game, every scoring play, score every 3 innings, and bases loaded.

SmokeyXIII fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 21, 2012

snowman
Aug 20, 2004
due it
Instagram question, when it saves the hi-res photos to my phone, some come out as 2048 x 2048, the max res, and some are only 1024 x 1024. It's a galaxy s3, and all the photos were taken on the phone's rear camera at full res, with no difference in crop (just sides or top bottom chopped off to make it square, no cropping in). Does anyone else get this? Is there a fix?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

spincube posted:

Are there any Twitter/Facebook apps available that will a) sync contact data with my contacts, and following on from this b) feed their updates into their contact profile in People?

I know Google+ does this, surely the main 2 global social networks should also.

[e] I'm running the 'official' apps for both right now

The official Twitter app used to do this also, but its been removed and there's no indication of it coming back.

• Locked thread