Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

HiddenReplaced posted:

Also, on a completely unrelated note, did you end up going back to SD or are you in another city?

Back in SD. Currently in-land for bar prep but moving somewhere between PB and La Jolla once this madness is over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

HiddenReplaced posted:

A friend from years ago that became a teacher is now considering law school. When I asked her what she wanted to do her response was:

"I want to be a human rights researcher."

Does someone have any clue what the gently caress that means? It's hard to discourage someone when you're not even clear what their goal is.
Point them to here: Free the Slaves.

Then say: alright, you rear end in a top hat do-gooder. Go loving save the world. You don't need a god drat motherfucking law degree to Do Good. In fact, you can do, like, at least 150% More loving Good without a lovely loving law degree. Either suck up your White Guilt and do something with your Incredibly Smart loving Brain, or throw good money after bad and get a law degree so you can poo poo all over yourself when life loving sucks and the best you can do is tell a loved one that ICE is going to gently caress their husband over.

gently caress OFF AND DON'T DO LAW SCHOOL. I'm so mad that I wasted my quarterly drunk post on some lovely rear end in a top hat who isn't even going to law school.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Green Crayons posted:

Then say: alright, you rear end in a top hat do-gooder. Go loving save the world. You don't need a god drat motherfucking law degree to Do Good. In fact, you can do, like, at least 150% More loving Good without a lovely loving law degree. Either suck up your White Guilt and do something with your Incredibly Smart loving Brain, or throw good money after bad and get a law degree so you can poo poo all over yourself when life loving sucks and the best you can do is tell a loved one that ICE is going to gently caress their husband over.

gently caress OFF AND DON'T DO LAW SCHOOL. I'm so mad that I wasted my quarterly drunk post on some lovely rear end in a top hat who isn't even going to law school.

The capitalization makes this particularly good.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

Green Crayons posted:

Is this supposed to be some world-weary seen it all poo poo

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis

J Miracle posted:

Is this supposed to be some world-weary seen it all poo poo

I got the 1000 yard stare first. But only because I was trying to figure out what the professor was saying from the back of the room.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
No it's supposed to be intoxicated white middle class thirty-something American who thinks he knows more than you because of his worthless liberal arts degree in basket weaving so he's just going to take a gap year and save the world one t-shirt sale at a time in-between excessive drinking just laying down poo poo at it is. Maaan.

What the gently caress it's a braindump of impotent rage at the non-class would-be law students. World weary anecdotes require at least 50% more war stories about life.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

Green Crayons posted:

No it's supposed to be intoxicated white middle class thirty-something American who thinks he knows more than you because of his worthless liberal arts degree in basket weaving so he's just going to take a gap year and save the world one t-shirt sale at a time in-between excessive drinking just laying down poo poo at it is. Maaan.

What the gently caress it's a braindump of impotent rage at the non-class would-be law students. World weary anecdotes require at least 50% more war stories about life.

He's telling it like it is folks he's saying what we're all afraid to say

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

J Miracle posted:

He's telling it like it is folks he's saying what we're all afraid to say
Your one liners end without punctuation line like a heading in a legal memo or brief

This section is about how I think this post is <blank>

The remainder of this thread is the decomposition of the legal genre in film

The reductive paradigm of white flight regarding insanity defenses is a parapraxis of legal truth

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis

Green Crayons posted:

Your one liners end without punctuation line like a heading in a legal memo or brief

This section is about how I think this post is <blank>

The remainder of this thread is the decomposition of the legal genre in film

The reductive paradigm of white flight regarding insanity defenses is a parapraxis of legal truth

What the gently caress are you going on about

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

joat mon posted:

It means "I want to go to the Hague and mill about smartly, but with the modicum of professional/social stature that a law degree provides"

slightly more seriously,

somebody who, given 'x' bad things happening somewhere, finds the yn international laws/treaties that technically provide a course of action to stop/punish the bad things, to give that information to somebody else who will try very hard not to be ignored by the international community.

Both of these sound like things diplomats do. So tell her it's kind of like being a lawyer but without all the failure.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

tau posted:

What the gently caress are you going on about
A human rights researcher would understand. :yum:

Martin Random
Jul 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Has anyone ever had a potential employer ask for letters of reference? I'm getting more and more weirded out by this mass torts firm. Two people from the "support" company that provides legal support to the mass torts firm, as well as two partners of the kind of sketchy mass tort firm, as well as "whatever additional attorneys are available" will be in on the interview.

It's worth flying out, and the people I've spoken to have been personable, but I am getting a lot of red flags, or at least "nontraditional firm" flags. One named partner is degreed from "West New England College School of Law" and the other is from UC Hastings, while another is "inactive" status from Boston University SOL.

Martin Random fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jul 20, 2012

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012
What is it? Some kind of local trouble?

Let's just say our firm is "nontraditional".

Well, that's the trick, isn't it? And it's going to cost you something extra. Ten thousand in advance.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
420 be at the office before sunrise erryday. Law owns I love suing people and taking their stuff.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

sigmachiev posted:

Back in SD. Currently in-land for bar prep but moving somewhere between PB and La Jolla once this madness is over

There isn't any "between PB and La Jolla." Pick one.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Phil Moscowitz posted:

There isn't any "between PB and La Jolla." Pick one.

Birdrock

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

sigmachiev posted:

Where's in-land? Are we gonna hook up or what?

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Linguica posted:

Where's in-land? Are we gonna hook up or what?

Kearny Mesa. After the Bar we will run wild with the PBicians.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

La Jolla

Also if you move to UTC and tell people you live in La Jolla you are a douche, just a head's up

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

HiddenReplaced posted:

Is this something JDs even do?

Any suggestions on alternatives I could give her?

Also, on a completely unrelated note, did you end up going back to SD or are you in another city?

Yes, it is, and a big problem with human rights research and work is that tons of college assholes think they can do it without relevant degrees or training and then they gently caress up and then the law thread thinks that it's not a real career and that IHR work is made-up panda bullshit.

What area does she want to work in? If you want you can PM me her email and I can put her in touch with people.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
i am currently in saginaw michigan at a lovely boondock hospital where my girlfriend's brother is having his first chidl. the wife has been in labor for (the following is a value that is literally correct) 31 hours and i have been here and awake since 11:15 am yesterday. the night before i got 4/ hours of sleep because i am terrified of the bar exam essays

i ahve made 900 note cards and it feels like i have 3 memorized (elements of adverse possession!/four requirements for validly executed will!/2 crimes that require malice!)

the bar exam is tuesday//lg;'

let this be a post to stand for the ages, unchanged by time. future bar studyers, read and heed:

if i pass this loving test so will you

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
the near-mythic allegory between the woman struggling to give birth and the student surrounded by notes in the waiting room has i might add not been lost on me

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Feces Starship posted:

i am currently in saginaw michigan at a lovely boondock hospital where my girlfriend's brother is having his first chidl. the wife has been in labor for (the following is a value that is literally correct) 31 hours and i have been here and awake since 11:15 am yesterday. the night before i got 4/ hours of sleep because i am terrified of the bar exam essays

i ahve made 900 note cards and it feels like i have 3 memorized (elements of adverse possession!/four requirements for validly executed will!/2 crimes that require malice!)

the bar exam is tuesday//lg;'

let this be a post to stand for the ages, unchanged by time. future bar studyers, read and heed:

if i pass this loving test so will you

I was going to gently caress with you and make a joke about you missing a requirement for a validly executed will, but then I realized that screwing with someone who is about to take the bar exam is just cruel.

Serious question though: two crimes that require malice? Are those murder and mayhem? I always liked mayhem as a crime. (Not a crim guy, I can't remember poo poo about crim law.)

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Feces Starship posted:

the near-mythic allegory between the woman struggling to give birth and the student surrounded by notes in the waiting room has i might add not been lost on me

Well it isn't your baby so it doesn't really fit. One of the partners in my department literally had bar exam flashcards in the delivery room during the delivery. His wife was... not thrilled.

Also, why are you messing up your sleep schedule so close to the bar exam?

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012
As much as bar study sucks, nailing an exam question is like a law orgasm.

I remember my brain being full to the brim, and one question was about the elements to establish paternity. I had the acronym down (BAD CAT or something: Birth certificate, Acknowledgement, Dna test, etc etc). Being able to spit it out on cue was like "OOOOooooOoOOooooooh yeah!, chicka-chicka". You walk out of the exam utterly spent, ready for a cigarette regardless if you smoke.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

woozle wuzzle posted:

As much as bar study sucks, nailing an exam question is like a law orgasm.

I remember my brain being full to the brim, and one question was about the elements to establish paternity. I had the acronym down (BAD CAT or something: Birth certificate, Acknowledgement, Dna test, etc etc). Being able to spit it out on cue to nail the question was like "OOOOooooOoOOooooooh yeah!, chicka-chicka". You walk out of the exam utterly spent, ready for a cigarette regardless if you smoke.
In Texas you're a presumed dad if you marry the mom within 300 days of childbirth

I guess on the basis of "who else gonna marry a girl with a bunch of stretch marks?"

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

HolySwissCheese posted:

In Texas you're a presumed dad if you marry the mom within 300 days of childbirth

I guess on the basis of "who else gonna marry a girl with a bunch of stretch marks?"

That is a solid policy.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

entris posted:

I was going to gently caress with you and make a joke about you missing a requirement for a validly executed will, but then I realized that screwing with someone who is about to take the bar exam is just cruel.

Serious question though: two crimes that require malice? Are those murder and mayhem? I always liked mayhem as a crime. (Not a crim guy, I can't remember poo poo about crim law.)

1.) MURDER
2.) ARSON

card #: 00014 of 00144

;;;;;;;;;o-0kpl,],]

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Oh poo poo arson. I always forget that is a crime.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

I did such a brain dump after the bar that I literally couldn't remember anything about it. I vaguely remember showing up, but not much else. And I didn't even drink afterward.

Agesilaus
Jan 27, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Feces Starship posted:

1.) MURDER
2.) ARSON

card #: 00014 of 00144

;;;;;;;;;o-0kpl,],]

Barratry requires wickedness, does that count

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Studying for the bar exam made me more prepared to be a lawyer than anything in law school did, including practicing as a student attorney in a clinical setting.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

The days that you take the bar exam, you will know about 300% more law than you will on any other day for the rest of your life. Unless you fail, of course.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Mons Hubris posted:

The days that you take the bar exam, you will know about 300% more law than you will on any other day for the rest of your life. Unless you fail, of course.

The small problem is that bar law is still not state law.

Also, you'll need to use the shift key in the bar exam. :)

Cormack
Apr 29, 2009

nm posted:

The small problem is that bar law is still not state law.

Also, you'll need to use the shift key in the bar exam. :)

Nah, just caps lock everything for emphasis, it will be fine.

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer
I'm handwriting the essay exam portion of the VA bar because I don't want to have to deal with laptop/testing software bull-****.

I'm pissed I waited until after I made/studied outlines to look at old essay exams. They test the same poo poo over and over and I could have fit every subject save for Civil Procedure on a single page outline.

I better not be one of the ~4-5 people from my school who will fail statistically speaking. I haven't played video games or watched HBO GO in 2 drat months.

Hope my self-study experiment doesn't end in ruin.

Solid Lizzie
Sep 26, 2011

Forbes or GTFO
And then there was that time I may have accidentally and indirectly implied one of the women I work for is old.

But she laughed ahhhaa ha ha heh...

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Boosted_C5 posted:

I'm handwriting the essay exam portion of the VA bar because I don't want to have to deal with laptop/testing software bull-****.

I'm pissed I waited until after I made/studied outlines to look at old essay exams. They test the same poo poo over and over and I could have fit every subject save for Civil Procedure on a single page outline.

I better not be one of the ~4-5 people from my school who will fail statistically speaking. I haven't played video games or watched HBO GO in 2 drat months.

Hope my self-study experiment doesn't end in ruin.

We didn't have the option to type. Apparently you can now, but laptops were too high technology in 2009.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012

Boosted_C5 posted:

:wth:

I hope you're doing like 6 hour writing sessions to build stamina, because it's writing as fast as you possibly can for that long of a stretch.

There's no software bullshit though... I took VA by laptop in like 08. At the test they hand everyone a USB stick that takes over your computer and installs stuff. It was about as easy as they could make it.

Good luck you nut! I think hour long masturbation session are warranted to build up your wrist strength.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

Agesilaus posted:

Nope, and lmao at the idea of a defence attorney stipping to lab results, it's apparently more fun to wait until they drive down pursuant to the phone hold despite there being no doubt at all that everything is above board.

I was making the Crown fly their toxicologist from half way across the country to a rural town for a drive impaired by drug so that I could ask them one question to point out that there are no quantities listed in their report. They ended up arranging a teleconference thing though. I also made their DRE evaluator testify in person rather than allow his report to go in, but that produced some good evidence on cross for their lack of experience or training dealing with people who were extremely tired.

Zarkov Cortez fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jul 21, 2012