Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I have a small question.

I am responsible for compiling definitions and sample sentences for a spelling bee. One of the words selected was "dauerlauf." No definition was provided. Going by Merriam Webster it's a 35 mile competitive ski race. However, according to my German coworker and her husband, that's bullshit, because it simply means "a long jog." Does anyone know if this is a case of a general German word having a specific English meaning? Who is right, and which should I use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Lotish posted:

I have a small question.

I am responsible for compiling definitions and sample sentences for a spelling bee. One of the words selected was "dauerlauf." No definition was provided. Going by Merriam Webster it's a 35 mile competitive ski race. However, according to my German coworker and her husband, that's bullshit, because it simply means "a long jog." Does anyone know if this is a case of a general German word having a specific English meaning? Who is right, and which should I use?

According to EUDict, it means "endurance run", which can apply to a long jog as well as to a specific event like a 35 mile competitive ski race.

Edit: From the Harper-Collins German dictionary - Dauer means duration, length, Lauf means race, run.

WillieWestwood fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jul 19, 2012

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Lotish posted:

I have a small question.

I'm having trouble tracking down any real English usage of the word. It looks to me like the usages of dauerlauf I find on Enlgish pages use it as a german word. eg

I'm wondering to what extent has an "english" meaning as opposed to just the german one?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Well, this English language book, page 75, uses Dauerlauf to refer to ski races in Sweden, with a link to the 1928 Olympics. Could that be the point where it entered the English lexicon?

It's a word that I can only find in one dictionary and the uses are from the early 20th century, but it's apparently a popular spelling bee word.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

FishBulb posted:

Frozen Tortilla guy, make your own tortillas. Flour, water, fat, salt. I've never lived in japan but I think you can get all of those things there.

You'd be surprised. Lard, tallow, and shortening are basically non-existent.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

tarepanda posted:

You'd be surprised. Lard, tallow, and shortening are basically non-existent.

Is some kind of vegetable oil available? It's not the same as shortening, but it should do in a pinch for making tortillas.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

I'm travelling to Nevada from Finland next month again and I have some questions regarding identification while buying/serving alcohol.

I've seen people suggest photocopying your passport/ID while travelling to avoid losing the actual passport, but I'm wondering about how valid it is legally. Like if I buy alcohol at a bar and show only the photocopied European passport, can the bar refuse to serve me since I don't have actual proof of age?

I might also be doing some bartending at an improvised bar in Nevada so I'm wondering about the other side of this. I heard in Nevada it's enough legally if you ask someone if they're over 21 and they say "yes" - is that true? Or are you supposed to only serve alcohol if they show legally valid ID such as a driver's license or a passport?

I know a lot of bars probably won't give a poo poo and I personally wouldn't either but the place I'm going to is known for having random inspections by cops, and I want to avoid any possible problems.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Cukel posted:

I'm travelling to Nevada from Finland next month again and I have some questions regarding identification while buying/serving alcohol.

I've seen people suggest photocopying your passport/ID while travelling to avoid losing the actual passport, but I'm wondering about how valid it is legally. Like if I buy alcohol at a bar and show only the photocopied European passport, can the bar refuse to serve me since I don't have actual proof of age?

I might also be doing some bartending at an improvised bar in Nevada so I'm wondering about the other side of this. I heard in Nevada it's enough legally if you ask someone if they're over 21 and they say "yes" - is that true? Or are you supposed to only serve alcohol if they show legally valid ID such as a driver's license or a passport?

I know a lot of bars probably won't give a poo poo and I personally wouldn't either but the place I'm going to is known for having random inspections by cops, and I want to avoid any possible problems.

I would be very surprised if a bar in the US would accept a photocopy as proof of age. Do you have any other sort of government issue ID, like a driver's license or something?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Xenoborg posted:

Whats the best way to get the smell of mildew (?) out of my tennis shoes?

Is there some secret easy method I'm overlooking?

The mIldew is going to keep coming back everytime the shoes get somewhat wet (i.e. everytime you wear them) unless you replace the stinky mildew microbes with non-stinky mildew microbes.

"Sink the Stink" does just that. You have to go ahead and get them wet again, and add the stuff but then when they are mildewing it will be with a smell that we do not notice.

Other methods just knock down the smell without actually getting at the root cause.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

stubblyhead posted:

I would be very surprised if a bar in the US would accept a photocopy as proof of age. Do you have any other sort of government issue ID, like a driver's license or something?
Sure, but I very much doubt those are valid identification in the US.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
My brother is getting married next month, I don't currently own a suit because I've lost a bunch of weight and my old suit doesn't fit me any more (and yes I already took it to a tailor and had it taken in, that worked for a wedding I had to go to in October, but she doesn't think she can take it in any more), I don't know if I should buy a new one or rent one? How much of a scam is renting a suit for a weekend? A mega scam or a partial scam? Generally I would just buy another suit since adult males should probably own a suit but I'm trying to lose another 40lbs or so and I figure this is just going to happen again in another year if I do...

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

FishBulb posted:

My brother is getting married next month, I don't currently own a suit because I've lost a bunch of weight and my old suit doesn't fit me any more (and yes I already took it to a tailor and had it taken in, that worked for a wedding I had to go to in October, but she doesn't think she can take it in any more), I don't know if I should buy a new one or rent one? How much of a scam is renting a suit for a weekend? A mega scam or a partial scam? Generally I would just buy another suit since adult males should probably own a suit but I'm trying to lose another 40lbs or so and I figure this is just going to happen again in another year if I do...

Have you checked Goodwill and other local thrift shops for a suit?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

tarepanda posted:

Have you checked Goodwill and other local thrift shops for a suit?

No that might actually be a satisfactory solution until I think I feel comfortable buying a new permanent suit. Good idea.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
All that talk about IDs made me remember; when I was backpacking in Australia there were quite a few banks that would only do certain things (like sending money overseas) if you could show two forms of (I assume official) identification. That said I only had a passport at the time, no drivers license or anything. Would it simply have been impossible to get anything done? Just seems a bit weird as there was only really one legal document confirming my identity in the world at the time.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

FishBulb posted:

Do you want to look like a jackass at your brother's wedding? Rent a suit.

Do you want to look good at your brother's wedding? Get a new suit and have it tailored. Look for a reputable tailor in your area and have him measure you and tailor the suit nicely. A suit is a good investment for most people. If you think you'll ever wear it again, buying one is the way to go.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Lawnie posted:

Do you want to look good at your brother's wedding? Get a new suit and have it tailored. Look for a reputable tailor in your area and have him measure you and tailor the suit nicely. A suit is a good investment for most people. If you think you'll ever wear it again, buying one is the way to go.

Well I'm not sure if I'm ever going to wear it again, because I'm afraid its not going to fit by the next time I need it since I'm in the middle of losing a bunch of weight. Thats kind of why I asked (and I mentioned all that in my post)... If I was confident I would wear it again I would definitely just buy one yes, I'm just wondering if even then financially its a terrible idea to rent one because it costs half as much as buying one or something.

I had not considered that a rented suit would make me 'look like a jackass' though so thanks for that.

Nickelodeon Household
Apr 11, 2010

I like chocolate MIIIILK
Use your Finland driver's license in Vegas, a photocopy of a passport won't cut it.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

spregalia posted:

Use your Finland driver's license in Vegas, a photocopy of a passport won't cut it.
Not going to Vegas and I don't have a driver's license, but yeah. I'll play it safe I guess. Thanks.

Wotan
Aug 15, 2009

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Sir John Falstaff posted:

Is some kind of vegetable oil available? It's not the same as shortening, but it should do in a pinch for making tortillas.

Or buy some pork, render some fat out and save the fat for tortillas.I don't know how accessible pork is there though, but any fat will probably work.

Wotan fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jul 20, 2012

simokon
Nov 6, 2009

stubblyhead posted:

Nope, definitely not that. I'm only guessing at the vintage really, but I do remember hearing it as a kid in the 80s sometimes. I also vaguely recall it being the b-side of an REM single (or maybe some other band from back then), but I can't find an REM single backed with the song I'm thinking of.

Is it Floyd Cramer's "Last Date" by any chance? R.E.M. covered it in 1987 on the B-side "It's the End of the World as We Know It (And I Feel Fine)".

FishBulb posted:

I had not considered that a rented suit would make me 'look like a jackass' though so thanks for that.

Anecdotes are not data, but I have seen an actual jackass wearing a rented suit that managed to pass for a normal, well-adjusted and well-dressed human being.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Lawnie posted:

This is why I suggested thrifting a suit. You can find plenty of nice, serviceable suits in thrift shops. Get one, even if it's slightly too big, then have it tailored to fit. It'll be cheaper than either option.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

simokon posted:

Is it Floyd Cramer's "Last Date" by any chance? R.E.M. covered it in 1987 on the B-side "It's the End of the World as We Know It (And I Feel Fine)".

This is absolutely it, thank you so much.

e: I definitely remember listening to that single a lot too after stealing it from my sister. Stupid Allmusic doesn't have any record of it though, only the 2006 re-release with different backing songs.

stubblyhead fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jul 20, 2012

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

FishBulb posted:

Well I'm not sure if I'm ever going to wear it again, because I'm afraid its not going to fit by the next time I need it since I'm in the middle of losing a bunch of weight. Thats kind of why I asked (and I mentioned all that in my post)... If I was confident I would wear it again I would definitely just buy one yes, I'm just wondering if even then financially its a terrible idea to rent one because it costs half as much as buying one or something.

I didn't mean it as an insult to you personally. However, renting formal wear is usually just a really, really bad idea. For one, it's expensive, and second, they tend to be really ugly, ill-fitting, and often pretty worn. You might have better luck asking in the male fashion thread in watch and weight or whatever they call it these days.

Yeah, seriously didn't mean to offend you or anything, though. Good for you for losing weight, and worrying you'll be too thin for a suit to wear it a second time is a very good problem to have. In this case, tarepanda is probably right. Just thrift something for the time being. The most important thing is that it fits well and isn't horribly outdated with, like, massive lapels or huge pinstripes.

I really didn't mean to offend you :(

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
Did Pop-Tarts discontinue the apple... whatever (strudel, I think) flavor? I just noticed I haven't seen it in any stores recently and it was one of the few I actually liked. (And a bunch of the other ones look like garbage.)

edit: No mention of it on the Pop-Tarts website. Dicks. 4 or 5 different kinds of chocolate though. :rolleyes:

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
It's cool I'm not offended just respond to percieved snark with snark. I've never not had a suit that fit me until now so I wasn't sure what to do. I assumed that renting a suit was or of those things that I would hate to do like paying someone else to change my oil and it sounds like it will be. I'll probably just find a deal on one and hope I get to wear it a couple times before it stops fitting me (or my weight loss ends and I never get to my goal :()

And actually my brother would probably really dig huge lapels he's a bit... eccentric.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

FishBulb posted:

And actually my brother would probably really dig huge lapels he's a bit... eccentric.

Well, if he's like that you could probably find something nice in a mint-green polyester leisure suit in any thrift store.

Clevername Lookhere
Jan 9, 2006

Wagonburner posted:

Nope. I'm guessing I made this association up in my head or maybe it was really from 12 monkeys what I'm thinking of. I guess I need to re-watch, there's never a reason too small to watch that movie again. BATTERY. OPERATED. SEXUAL. DEVICES!

For what it's worth (as in maybe not much), if you hadn't caught it yet... it looks like Twelve Monkeys is not listed on the IMDB page but it's listed on the Sleep Walk Wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_walk

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

spoon0042 posted:

Did Pop-Tarts discontinue the apple... whatever (strudel, I think) flavor? I just noticed I haven't seen it in any stores recently and it was one of the few I actually liked. (And a bunch of the other ones look like garbage.)

edit: No mention of it on the Pop-Tarts website. Dicks. 4 or 5 different kinds of chocolate though. :rolleyes:
If you're into quick and easy processed / faux breakfast pastries you might consider Toaster Strudel as an alternative to cardboard Pop-Tarts.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

spoon0042 posted:

Apple strudel not listed in the discontinued flavors section at the poptarts wiki fwiw

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
Sometimes, for no reason at all, I tend to get a warm buzzing feeling in the bottom of the inside of my ear on both sides, on the large patch of skin inside, next to the ear canal.

It doesn't hurt, but it feels weird and I'm just curious as to what causes it?

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

dokmo posted:

Apple strudel not listed in the discontinued flavors section at the poptarts wiki fwiw

The Frosted Apple Strudel page claims it's one of the six most popular flavors, too, although it doesn't provide any citation. Odd that it doesn't seem to be on the Poptarts website, though, if that's true. The Poptarts website doesn't list any apple flavors, though, and it would surprise me if Kellogg's decided to do away with apple entirely.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

spoon0042 posted:

The parent company, Kellogg's, still mentions it, but it's not in the product list I eventually looked at. Any remaining Apple Strudels are available on Amazon through three sellers (96 Pop-Tarts per box).

WillieWestwood fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jul 20, 2012

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

dokmo posted:

There is an entire wiki dedicated to poptarts.

I am not sure how to feel about that.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Wiki hilarity aside I read some bad news about apples in the US a while back and this was the first google result I got to re-remember what I'd read:

http://www.freep.com/article/20120629/BUSINESS06/206290355/Weather-damage-to-slash-state-s-apple-crop-by-90-

Food prices are going to skyrocket because of this drought.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

WillieWestwood posted:

The parent company, Kellogg's, still mentions it, but it's not in the product list I eventually looked at. Any remaining Apple Strudels are available on Amazon through three sellers (96 Pop-Tarts per box).

This website claims they're discontinued:

http://www.ictoys.com/Kelloggs-Frosted-Apple-Strudel-Pop-Tarts_p_2946.html

Here's a recipe you can make, though, if you ever find any of them:

http://www.kelloggs.com/en_US/apple-strudel-breakfast-bake.html

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Sir John Falstaff posted:

Here's a recipe you can make, though, if you ever find any of them:

http://www.kelloggs.com/en_US/apple-strudel-breakfast-bake.html

:psyduck: New question: why do food companies feel the need to come up with these kind of bizarre recipes no one in their right mind would ever try? :v:

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Because not only will people try them, some people will make them staples of their diet.

My girlfriend got a handful of recipes from her parents when she moved in with me, and it's astonishing how much of the ingredients are canned, packaged or frozen. There are more chemicals than foods in some of them. They're not even the worst I've seen.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Powered Descent posted:

There is an entire wiki dedicated to poptarts.

I am not sure how to feel about that.

Let me show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Assuming a flat horizon in all directions roughly how much of the sky can I see? (How far is the horizon, and past that how far can I see the clouds beyond it?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Manslaughter posted:

Assuming a flat horizon in all directions roughly how much of the sky can I see? (How far is the horizon, and past that how far can I see the clouds beyond it?)

How much in what sort of measurement? Fraction? Half. Area or volume? Who the gently caress knows.