Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

mayodreams posted:

I remember playing the "OJ" version where a single white SUV spawned and everyone else was cops. That was a blast! I remember tricking everyone into driving off a cliff in the coastline SW of Las Venturas. :v:
cagejump :cool:

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dl0wo87k_uY&t=396s

Cage fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jul 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massey ferguson
Mar 11, 2012

Farecoal posted:

I just bought San Andreas on Steam, but I've never played a GTA other than GTA IV? Anything I should know before starting, like essential mods or tips or something?

Don't bother with the hood takeover missions or overstocking weapons at the start, at the end of the first chapter of the game you get all your hoods and weapons took away.
The only other tip is to follow the goddamn train CJ

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
The Goon Theft Auto server ended and the Secret Zombie Room roleplay mmorpg whatever server started, then kept being modified to the point where we could play OJ and other games on that server in addition to the rpg stuff. I left back in 2008 and rejoined a couple of times since then when they reset all the stats. I don't know if any goons still play though. The server address for samp is szr.grie.fr, so if you downgrade your steam version to 1.01 or whatever everyone is using, it should work.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

Masa posted:

There's also a Redding in northern California.

I also like how whoever made it felt the need to stick every single minor place from San Andreas on there somewhere. Did GTA4 reuse any place names from GTA3?

They reused Wong's Laundromat in GTA4, but they changed the slogan to "Wong = White"

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I got gifted GTA4 during the Steam Summer Sale. I just spent two hours driving people around, evading the cops, punching dudes in the face, and taking this girl named Michelle on dates, all as a dude from Serbia.

And it was fun. I can't figure out why. Why is this fun? :(

Also, why do I have to take care of Roman's poo poo? gently caress, man, I just got here and I'm already saving you from yourself? Some cousin you are. :mad:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

QuantaStarFire posted:

I got gifted GTA4 during the Steam Summer Sale. I just spent two hours driving people around, evading the cops, punching dudes in the face, and taking this girl named Michelle on dates, all as a dude from Serbia.

Also, why do I have to take care of Roman's poo poo? gently caress, man, I just got here and I'm already saving you from yourself? Some cousin you are. :mad:

NICO, MY CAHSIN! COME TO THE STRIP CLUB WITH ME TO SEE BIG AMERICAHN TITTAYS!

That's why you help Roman.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

I hate whenever a game says "This guy got away!" No he didn't I still see him there. I'm not the police, he didn't cross out of my jurisdiction, he's still right there. I was still shooting him.
Worst offender in GTA IV: the one where you chase a guy on a train.

"You lost the train!" IT'S A TRAIN, WHERE THE gently caress DID IT GO, DOWN A SIDE ALLEY?

Similarly infuriating are those missions where you have to kill someone and there's still a separate failure condition afterwards. The guy is dead, isn't he? Who cares if Niko gets caught, he's killed half of Liberty City and still bribes his way out of jail so much they might as well install a revolving door with a little toll booth.

Nova69
Jul 12, 2012

Richard M Nixon posted:

I would like to say that the last mission in GTA IV for the DEAL ending is the loving hardest, poorly designed mission in the entire game. I have retried upwards of 15 times now, and every time I get in the loving helicopter with rasta dude, Dimitri immediately gets away. I have control of the vehicle for maybe two seconds before it fails me. I don't think there is anything I can do differently to not fail, so this is more of a rage post, but if anyone else spent days failing at this mission over and over before they beat it, I'd like to hear how.

For that mission I had to use FRAPS to limit my fps to 30, the mission is built for 30fps on consoles, having 60 fps makes it impossible to press space fast enough to get in the helicopter.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
I was pumped to play GTAIV last night from Steam but it was a 14GB download so I never got to play. :v:

I read up on mods though, for something like the FPS mod, do I just need the ASI Loader? Do I need to rollback my version?

edit: got it working just fine, needed 1.0.7 scripthook and ASI loader

MikeRabsitch fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jul 20, 2012

machinegunmessiah
Jul 16, 2012

QuantaStarFire posted:

I think the dude is not from Serbia, as Rockstar made his nationality ambiguous on purpose, because of all the war stuff... Although he mentions in one mission that he was fighting against Bosnians, so, Serbian it is, I guess. Nevermind...

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
I think Elisabeta and Playboy X refer to him as Serbian

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

machinegunmessiah posted:

I think the dude is not from Serbia

He's Serbian, they come right out and say it.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I'm sure I heard somewhere that the language Nico speaks is Serbian as well, but I don't speak it so can't confirm this.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Niko's nationality is never specified in the game,although he speaks and reads Serbian and it is said he is from the Balkans. Niko's nationality has been a subject of some debate: prior to the game being launched, it was believed by some that he was Russian and articles have interpreted the character as being from Croatia or Serbia. Executive producer Dan Houser spoke on the matter saying that Niko is "from that gray part of broken-down Eastern Europe", suggesting that Niko's nationality was left intentionally vague or to the interpretation of the player.

Niko's father was a violent alcoholic, who physically abused him, his mother and elder brother. Niko's mother, Milica, who possessed a maternal and caring nature, regretted that her sons were forced to endure such hardships as children, since Niko and his brother grew up during the difficult times of the Yugoslav Wars. His elder brother was killed in action in the war, a war in which Niko participated as an enraged youth. Niko witnessed numerous atrocities during the war, including the murder and mutilation of over 50 men and women, which led to his cynical view on life, with certain degrees of anger, regret, emotional distress and severe depression. A defining moment in the war for Niko was when his army unit of fifteen young men from his village were ambushed by the enemy. Niko barely escaped the ambush, and weeks later concluded that the unit had been betrayed by one of their own soldiers, so he returned to the pit where his friends were buried. He dug up the bodies, counted them, and identified each of the corpses. From this he learned there were two other survivors: Florian Cravic and Darko Brevic.

machinegunmessiah
Jul 16, 2012
Oh, Wikipedia, you solve it once again.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I would note that just because he was a Serbian would not mean that he was from Serbia. As a matter of fact, the fact that he had to participate in the wars at such a young age would make it so that he was more likely to have been from Bosnia or Croatia, which would make sense for the writers to not identify where he was from, even though they had him speaking one language and had people referring to him as a Serb.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

machinegunmessiah posted:

Although he mentions in one mission that he was fighting against Bosnians, so, Serbian it is, I guess. Nevermind...
In the GTA universe, the US and Australia were in a war against each other. Serbia might not even exist.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Whalley posted:

In the GTA universe, the US and Australia were in a war against each other. Serbia might not even exist.

Haha, what was the context of this?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Haha, what was the context of this?

There is none, they just talk a ton in GTA IV on the radio and TV about the war against Australia. I believe it actually started way back in GTA III with one of the callers to Lazlow talking about how he fought in the American/Australian war.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

TheJoker138 posted:

There is none, they just talk a ton in GTA IV on the radio and TV about the war against Australia. I believe it actually started way back in GTA III with one of the callers to Lazlow talking about how he fought in the American/Australian war.

Lazlow: "Let's go to our next caller, alright."
Caller: "Colonel James T. United Stated Marine Corps Second Battalion. Lazlow that caller made a really valid point. These kids today have no respect for authority! And there is one thing that would whip them into shape!"
Lazlow: "Heh..l..let me guess! The military!!"
Caller: "That's right. The military teaches you respect! Obedience, and it gives you a good pension! These kids that thought they were going to be millionaires, look where the super-information- highway has gotten them! Nowhere! It's a dead end! Uncle Sam takes care of his boys! And some girls! If more people would join the military this would be a better country!! I tell you another thing about respect. These kids don't respect veterans, we fought for your freedom! When I came back from the Australian-American war...I didn't get a heroes welcome...I didnp't get a pack on the back from my friends and neighbours saying 'thanks for fighting for our freedom James!' After years of fighting in the trenches, I come back here and everyone's watching TV!!"
Lazlow: "Now..I..I..can you tell me what this Australian-American war was...I..I never really heard of it!"
Caller: "God, not another one! Have you read a history book lately son?? The Australian-American war the was the biggest war since the big one! I tell ya, I didn't do two tours and take boomerang shrapnel in my head to come back here, and have a bunch of hippies deny our history! Those Aussies are ruthless! They even wired kangaroos with explosives...come hopping in the camp and knock out ten guys!"
Lazlow: "Well thanks for the history lesson!"

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jul 21, 2012

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Install Gentoo posted:

Lazlow: "Let's go to our next caller, alright."
Caller: "Colonel James T. United Stated Marine Corps Second Battalion. Lazlow that caller made a really valid point. These kids today have no respect for authority! And there is one thing that would whip them into shape!"
Lazlow: "Heh..l..let me guess! The military!!"
Caller: "That's right. The military teaches you respect! Obedience, and it gives you a good pension! These kids that thought they were going to be millionaires, look where the super-information- highway has gotten them! Nowhere! It's a dead end! Uncle Sam takes care of his boys! And some girls! If more people would join the military this would be a better country!! I tell you another thing about respect. These kids don't respect veterans, we fought for your freedom! When I came back from the Australian-American war...I didn't get a heroes welcome...I didnp't get a pack on the back from my friends and neighbours saying 'thanks for fighting for our freedom James!' After years of fighting in the trenches, I come back here and everyone's watching TV!!"
Lazlow: "Now..I..I..can you tell me what this Australian-American war was...I..I never really heard of it!"
Caller: "God, not another one! Have you read a history book lately son?? The Australian-American war the was the biggest war since the big one! I tell ya, I didn't do two tours and take boomerang shrapnel in my head to come back here, and have a bunch of hippies deny our history! Those Aussies are ruthless! They even wired kangaroos with explosives...come hopping in the camp and knock out ten guys!"
Lazlow: "Well thanks for the history lesson!"

Not to mention this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPVnlDyVGso

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
Heh. Boomerangs are pretty lethal though. Almost decapitated myself with mine once (no joke).

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
I have a scar on the bridge of my nose from where the Canadian family who were house-swapping with our neighbours decided to try some local customs and thew one over our fence.

It didn't come back.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

mayodreams posted:

I remember playing the "OJ" version where a single white SUV spawned and everyone else was cops. That was a blast! I remember tricking everyone into driving off a cliff in the coastline SW of Las Venturas. :v:

I led a pack of goncops through a gas station and nearly wiped them all out. That was one awesome mod. The ability to get out of cars actually ruined things.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

TheJoker138 posted:

This is one of the thing I love so much about the GTA3-era games. These little jokes that just cropped up in all the games and tied them together so nicely. The Australian-American war is my favorite, but they also had the british dude who wants to be spanked (GTA3 and SA, dunno about VC). Lazlo's career being this bungee thing that he keeps talking about was also amusing. I really hope they can make something like that for GTAV.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Iacen posted:

This is one of the thing I love so much about the GTA3-era games. These little jokes that just cropped up in all the games and tied them together so nicely. The Australian-American war is my favorite, but they also had the british dude who wants to be spanked (GTA3 and SA, dunno about VC). Lazlo's career being this bungee thing that he keeps talking about was also amusing. I really hope they can make something like that for GTAV.

Evacuater
Exploder: Evacuater Part 2

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Zedd posted:

Evacuater
Exploder: Evacuater Part 2

Rated PG for Patriotic Garbage

DrKrankenwagen
Mar 21, 2005

davebo posted:

The Goon Theft Auto server ended and the Secret Zombie Room roleplay mmorpg whatever server started, then kept being modified to the point where we could play OJ and other games on that server in addition to the rpg stuff. I left back in 2008 and rejoined a couple of times since then when they reset all the stats. I don't know if any goons still play though. The server address for samp is szr.grie.fr, so if you downgrade your steam version to 1.01 or whatever everyone is using, it should work.

Do a lot of people from Something Awful still play on there? Playing something like this with pubbies scares the hell out of me.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Puttblug posted:

Do a lot of people from Something Awful still play on there? Playing something like this with pubbies scares the hell out of me.

Some of the old crew are still in the irc channel, but I just viewed the server and there are only 15 people on, and I don't recognize any of the names. Not that everyone would have kept the same names over the multiple server resets anyway. Long and short is, the time for massive goon fun in san andreas was like '07-08. We're probably better off just waiting for gta5 at this point.

I sure wish rockstar would encourage game modding though. Most game's modding communities come up with stuff more fun than the creators ever thought up.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!

davebo posted:

I sure wish rockstar would encourage game modding though. Most game's modding communities come up with stuff more fun than the creators ever thought up.

B-b-b-but our DLC profits :qq:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
It's actually more about them getting in trouble with the poo poo from Hot Coffee, which caused them to immediately make it harder to do substantial mods in San Andreas (which is why we all have to downgrade for the good mods) and later games.

Physical
Sep 26, 2007

by T. Finninho
Is GTA4 multiplayer on the PC still populated? I'm thinking about getting that and San Andreas (both are like $9)

I played GTA4 on xbox and after about a year or two is was really hard to find anyone else playing the game so the multiplayer sucked.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Physical posted:

Is GTA4 multiplayer on the PC still populated? I'm thinking about getting that and San Andreas (both are like $9)

I played GTA4 on xbox and after about a year or two is was really hard to find anyone else playing the game so the multiplayer sucked.

Someone linked the top active Live games for the last month and GTAIV was ranked 11th or so, must be pretty active still. The Steam Summer Sale must've led to a spike in PC multiplayer too.

Physical
Sep 26, 2007

by T. Finninho

Knightmare posted:

Someone linked the top active Live games for the last month and GTAIV was ranked 11th or so, must be pretty active still. The Steam Summer Sale must've led to a spike in PC multiplayer too.
I was wondering why my friend said that he was doing GTA4 races again, when I thought he got Max Payne 3 for xbox (and it game with GTA4 apparently).

I haven't launched my Xbox in forever, and I'm all about PC games anymore. Especially with mods. San andreas seems like it has cool mods.

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/ GTA4 is like 22nd with 5500 users today. Whatever, I think I'll still get it.

e: Oh snap got the Complete Pack.

Physical fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jul 23, 2012

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
They need to look at the tone of the radio in the next games though, because as the series became more serious in it's general stories the radio became dumber and more purile, and I swear lost most of it's wit. The ads and most of the shows are just barrel scraping shouting strawmen, and while they always had an element of this before they pulled it off with much better writing.

And all the swearing on the radio, man, I will miss old Lazlow, trying to stop people doing things that will get him into trouble. Depressed sexpest Lazlow is just not as good.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Physical posted:

e: Oh snap got the Complete Pack.

Yeah, this. "Hmm GTAIV for $5 or EVERY GTA GAME FOR $12???"

*breaks mouse clicking BUY BUY BUY*

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

ShineDog posted:

And all the swearing on the radio, man, I will miss old Lazlow, trying to stop people doing things that will get him into trouble. Depressed sexpest Lazlow is just not as good.

Lazlow was absolutely at his finest being slowly ground down by insane guests and idiotic callers.

'K...killer bees' :smithicide:

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Walton Simons posted:

Lazlow was absolutely at his finest being slowly ground down by insane guests and idiotic callers.

'K...killer bees' :smithicide:
I maintain that Chatterbox is one of the finest radio stations in the GTA franchise. It had some really neat touches. Like the dude who talks about eating squirrels, goldfish and pidgeons. "Sometimes they come with notes attached to them, like a fortune cookie with wings!".
Some time later, a lady from Citizens Raging Against Phones (CRAP) calls in to talk about the evils of telephones, and how they try to organize without phones. They tried using carrier pidgeons, but they keep disappearing.

Why GTA4 didn't have more than a single segment on their chatter radio I can remember, I don't know. Perhaps it was a victim of the urge to make the game more serious.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
The radio was not any more serious. The problem was there were so many stations and so many songs that they just bit off more than they could chew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

ElwoodCuse posted:

The radio was not any more serious. The problem was there were so many stations and so many songs that they just bit off more than they could chew.

Ive played it a billion times and dont think I listened to the talk stations once in GTA 4 because I like so many songs on the other stations

• Locked thread