Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Mr Underhill posted:

well, jot that down as a beginner's mistake on my part, haven't really been listening to john-era reruns. Whatever happened to that Teflon don flick he was pushing around?

I think John Travolta was involved somehow, and when the latest round of gay rumors started going around, the project went under. I'm pretty sure I didn't just imagine that, but I'm not certain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Huh. Well, at least John went pretty far.

How do you guys feel about the whole AGT thing? It got me watching. Since I'm in EU, I can only watch them as they're ripped the next day, and it's a whole drag skipping over his reviews and then re-listening after watching. I really commended him for trying to put the live band through, but AGT is such a howard tease. Once you get used to 4 hour doses it's frustrating to only get a few minutes of his rants overall.

Oh, and America, what the hell happened to you musically? I thought we europeans had exclusives on horrible, 4 to the floor eurotrash pop with talentless sluts slapped on. I feel for you guys, welcome to our world of pain.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Holy Calamity! posted:

No mention of Lisa G's most recent cringeworthy moment? She came in and was asked about her opinions of 50 shades of grey (fem erotica book) and revealed that while it turned her on she didn't get wet or masturbate. She said if she had a man it would be different, and then revealed that it's been so long for her that she'd probably be up for a night with Ronnie at this point.

Lisa G is useless and annoying. My favorite part of that segment was when she breathlessly said, like every other idiot on Facebook who's never actually read another book before, "HOW GOOOOOOOOD THE WRITING IS".

Alas, for it is Twilight erotic fanfic. Anything that is simply Rule 34 spun from that piece of infantile, single-syllable twaddle cannot be, by definition, "good writing".

wikipedia posted:

The Fifty Shades trilogy was developed from a Twilight fan fiction originally titled Master of the Universe and published episodically on fan-fiction websites under the pen name "Snowqueens Icedragon". The piece featured characters named after Stephenie Meyer's characters in Twilight, Edward Cullen and Bella Swan. After comments concerning the sexual nature of the material, James removed the story from the fan-fiction websites and published it on her own website, FiftyShades.com. Later she rewrote Master of the Universe as an original piece, with the principal characters renamed Christian Grey and Anastasia Steele and removed it from her website prior to publication.[6] Meyer commented on the series, saying "that's really not my genre, not my thing ... Good on her—she's doing well. That's great!"

gently caress Lisa G, gently caress illiterate books for illiterate people. Get off my drat lawn.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Ether Frenzy posted:

Lisa G is useless and annoying. My favorite part of that segment was when she breathlessly said, like every other idiot on Facebook who's never actually read another book before, "HOW GOOOOOOOOD THE WRITING IS".

Alas, for it is Twilight erotic fanfic. Anything that is simply Rule 34 spun from that piece of infantile, single-syllable twaddle cannot be, by definition, "good writing".

gently caress Lisa G, gently caress illiterate books for illiterate people. Get off my drat lawn.

Just because it's erotic fanfic doesn't mean it can't be good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K1RcKJVbHA

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Gilbert makes everything better.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Agreed. Can't describe how strange it was seeing the man's face pop up on an article he wrote for CNN the other day.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/16/opinion/gottfried-tosh-joke/index.html?iref=allsearch

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

AltronHGX posted:

Agreed. Can't describe how strange it was seeing the man's face pop up on an article he wrote for CNN the other day.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/16/opinion/gottfried-tosh-joke/index.html?iref=allsearch

Thanks for the link -- I had not read this.

Now why can't I find the clip I'm looking for on Youtube? There's a fantastic bit where Gilbert is on the show and they discuss how he lost a Miracle Whip gig because some executive heard him being offensive on Howard's show.

Edit: I'm pretty sure it was June 22, 1993, but I can't find audio of the show. :argh:

prefect fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jul 20, 2012

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

AltronHGX posted:

He looks so pissed off to be on CNN trying to explain this poo poo to people, I love it, love him, rape all day Gilbert.

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

AltronHGX posted:

Jesus, I don't know why this surprises me, but Gilbert writes like a twelve-year-old in an essay contest.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Smeep posted:

Jesus, I don't know why this surprises me, but Gilbert writes like a twelve-year-old in an essay contest.

Yeah, his book is great because of that. He writes like a filthy 12 year old, which is good because I read like one.

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

prefect posted:

Hahaha, holy poo poo.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

prefect posted:

That's amazing.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
Just caught Captain Jenks getting through with a Howard Stern namedrop after pretending to be the chief of police during the batman shooting aftermath. One of the most surreal experiences of my life, I tuned in solely for that reason right before bed and heard him get through only a few seconds after I began listening.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

Holy Calamity! posted:

Just caught Captain Jenks getting through with a Howard Stern namedrop after pretending to be the chief of police during the batman shooting aftermath. One of the most surreal experiences of my life, I tuned in solely for that reason right before bed and heard him get through only a few seconds after I began listening.

What channel was this on?

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

Kelly posted:

What channel was this on?

This one linked in the GBS thread

goku im piss
Mar 18, 2005

Your mama was a snowblower
Heres the link to the Janks bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PSwvVR9_OU

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
While I think that making a mockery of the ridiculous race to be the first to report on anything in our 24 hour news cycle is awesome, Janks' schtick is just so tired. Can't he think of anything to do other than just say "Howard Stern's Ballsack!"?

Also, I think doing it to a station like CNN or Fox News is one thing, but doing it to a local newscast where the tragedy actually happened is another.

Brocktoon fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jul 20, 2012

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Brocktoon posted:

While I think that making a mockery of the ridiculous race to be the first to report on anything in our 24 hour news cycle is awesome, Janks' schtick is just so tired. Can't he think of anything to do other than just say "Howard Stern's Ballsack!"?

Also, I think doing it to a station like CNN or Fox News is one thing, but doing it to a local newscast where the tragedy actually happened is another.

Is Janks married? If not, I wonder if he uses his phone calls as pick-up lines.

"Yeah the guy who shouted 'Howard Stern's Ballsack' at a local newscaster covering a horrendous mass shooting? That was me. So, wanna gently caress?" :smug:

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

haljordan posted:

Is Janks married? If not, I wonder if he uses his phone calls as pick-up lines.

"Yeah the guy who shouted 'Howard Stern's Ballsack' at a local newscaster covering a horrendous mass shooting? That was me. So, wanna gently caress?" :smug:

I wonder if he ever accidentally does it on normal phone calls.

"Hi, mom. So I'm going to pick you up at the airpor...BABA BOOEY BABA BOOEY HOWARD STERN'S PENIS!!!"

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Brocktoon posted:

Janks once put out an album of his phone calls. After a half-dozen, you start to get really bored.

I love it when Howard mentions the Jerky Boys when Janks is around -- Janks gets incredibly angry and acts like the Jerky Boys stole all their stuff from him. Because, you see, Janks was making phony phone calls, and that's what the Jerky Boys did. :rolleye:

Listen to one Jerky Boys call and then a half-dozen Janks calls. If the Jerky Boys stole anything from Janks, it's undetectable.

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

Brocktoon posted:

I was about to post this myself. It's been - what, 30 years later? - and he's still at the same one-line joke. It WAS funny, but "tired" is the best word for it.

Who gives a poo poo who gives a gently caress.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Wasn't he the one that Langford broke a story about how he would book appearances at bars and then do a no show?

Who the hell hires a guy famous for saying Penis on CNN 30 years ago and expects people to line up out the door to see him.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

I did laugh my rear end off at the 30 Rock episode that featured Tracy Morgan's character saying "Well I yelled 'Baba Booey' at Walter Cronkite's funeral, so I actually have no idea what's rude or not."

Bonzo posted:

Wasn't he the one that Langford broke a story about how he would book appearances at bars and then do a no show?

Who the hell hires a guy famous for saying Penis on CNN 30 years ago and expects people to line up out the door to see him.

Yeah, that was Janks. I guess he had a crazy drug problem. I was more impressed that he got all these places to pay him in advance.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Bonzo posted:

Langford was entirely dedicated to making Janks's life miserable for a couple of months there.

And I believe Janks was hosting "Howard Stern trivia contests" at bars, so it wasn't just about his phone calls.

chiz
Sep 28, 2002

Janks is good at getting on and rusing these people but his content sucks. He just goes along and at the end says "Howard Stern's penis, Baba Booey"

no creativity, it' a waste.

edit; whoops, jumped the gun, didn't see that Brocktoon posed that.

chiz fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jul 20, 2012

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

chiz posted:

Janks is good at getting on and rusing these people but his content sucks. He just goes along and at the end says "Howard Stern's penis, Baba Booey"

no creativity, it' a waste.

I think the main reason it used to be funny was because the person on TV had no idea what was going on. Now yelling BABBA BOOEY is a pretty popular pop culture reference so the joke is over as soon as it starts.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Bonzo posted:

I think the main reason it used to be funny was because the person on TV had no idea what was going on. Now yelling BABBA BOOEY is a pretty popular pop culture reference so the joke is over as soon as it starts.

The newscasters usually join them now and try to make it funny and cool and that is just the worst.

chiz
Sep 28, 2002

Bonzo posted:

haha, true.

Plus it had more impact back in the day when Howard wasn't as big, yet a Janks call would get through on a major network news station.

Eb
May 6, 2003
I like the calls not because they are particularly funny, but because he messes with people who take themselves way too seriously. So I'd grade them usually fun, but not always funny.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
The Janks Gimmick only worked back when the news media was a relatively mature and reliable source of information.

Now they're just dipshits who read twitter out loud on the air in a rush to beat each other to saying the stupidest thing possible so when he gets a "Howard Stern's Penis" in the mix, it's actually closer to responsible journalism.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Ether Frenzy posted:

The Janks Gimmick only worked back when the news media was a relatively mature and reliable source of information.

Now they're just dipshits who read twitter out loud on the air in a rush to beat each other to saying the stupidest thing possible so when he gets a "Howard Stern's Penis" in the mix, it's actually closer to responsible journalism.

I was just about to defend Janks's schtick, but you actually make an excellent point here. How can you really mock something that's already made a complete mockery of itself. Parodying a parody is an empty gesture. It's like farting on a fart.

Janks should never stop doing what he does, just like people should never stop yelling Bababooey during live remotes, but neither really have much of the oomph they used to.

All I know is, if I somehow travelled 200 years into the future and heard some dumbass screaming Bababooey into a holo-cam or whatever the gently caress, I'd feel pretty good about the human race. It's just one of those things that's always right. Always.

Also, I absolutely love how the greatest all-time "Janks call" wasn't even him!

"I see OJ. He look scared."

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=lP8TwjRMdS0

DangerDummy! fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jul 21, 2012

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
I think the most amazing thing about Janks is his ability to repeatedly convince media sources he is a police chief or Brian Westbrook or whatever.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

adebisi lives posted:

I think the most amazing thing about Janks is his ability to repeatedly convince media sources he is a police chief or Brian Westbrook or whatever.
Verification is hard work!

When the Fox News host told Howard she was deathly afraid of Janks pranking her she was basically showing no confidence in her producers and/or the entire process behind the news.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

adebisi lives posted:

This is the only reason I still like the bit, it just shows how utterly incompetent these news sources are.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

The Steve Bartman call was just brilliant. The length of the call, plus Dan Patrick's reaction. If you're looking for media fuckery, you can't ask for much more.

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US#/watch?v=71p1Icmc1Hs

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

DangerDummy! posted:

I go back and forth between "I see OJ" and this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgjHyfZ0FcI

I giggle like an idiot at "I am an earl and an O.B.E., that makes me an earlobe."

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

prefect posted:

I giggle like an idiot at "I am an earl and an O.B.E., that makes me an earlobe."
This one is a classic. I remember it even today.

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010

DangerDummy! posted:

To me, most of the humor in this one lies in how awful this attempted "black" accent is. Who is he trying to sound like, Harry Belafonte?

But even so, it's only the second-worst impression of a black American on record -- Sal's version of Governor Patterson takes the cake. "Approachin' da podiums ..."

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

jimma posted:

To me, most of the humor in this one lies in how awful this attempted "black" accent is. Who is he trying to sound like, Harry Belafonte?

But even so, it's only the second-worst impression of a black American on record -- Sal's version of Governor Patterson takes the cake. "Approachin' da podiums ..."

Balee dat, cracka

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

prefect posted:

Holy poo poo thats loving great, I had never heard it before.