Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer

woozle wuzzle posted:

:wth:

I hope you're doing like 6 hour writing sessions to build stamina, because it's writing as fast as you possibly can for that long of a stretch.

There's no software bullshit though... I took VA by laptop in like 08. At the test they hand everyone a USB stick that takes over your computer and installs stuff. It was about as easy as they could make it.

Good luck you nut! I think hour long masturbation session are warranted to build up your wrist strength.

Looking at past essay exams & model answer outlines from VBBE (available on a few school's websites for those taking VA, like William & Mary), I've encountered maybe 2 questions that would take 30 minutes to write out an answer. Most of the questions are straight-forward and require simple answers. It doesn't take long to explain the Anti-Lapse statute and apply it to a fact, or explain the intestate succession order and apply it to the survivors, or explain that the second will and first will overlap in some areas but not others, etc.

The questions are WAY more shallow than typical law school exams, at least the ones I took.

Also I am a fast test-taker. I was always the 1st or 2nd out of the room in every class. I've never finished an exam with less than an hour left. Finished (BARELY) in the Top 1/3 of my class, so it's not like I was just throwing slop on paper to get a passing grade. I made decent grades, usually B+ or A-.

My REAL worry is how well I actually learned everything doing self-study instead of a bar-prep course. If I fail it will be because my outlines were missing something or because I run across questions testing concepts that haven't appeared on past essay questions over the last decade.

I really hope I'm not in here whining about having to study again and retake in February after results get released. Ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012
Oh boy... Dude... Duuuuuuuude...

I'm a fast test-taker too. So that meant I was out like 30 minutes before my friends (I was in like top 5% fastest out of the room). That means I was still taking the exam for over 5 hours. So yeah, let's assume 30 minutes per question. Times 9. So you're writing for 4.5 hours straight (plus short answer). But if you only have 4.5 hours of writing stamina, it means you're crapping out on the last question.

Did you handwrite your law school exams? Did they last 5 hours?

START WRITING NOW. DON'T STOP!

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer

woozle wuzzle posted:

Oh boy... Dude... Duuuuuuuude...

I'm a fast test-taker too. So that meant I was out like 30 minutes before my friends (I was in like top 5% fastest out of the room). That means I was still taking the exam for over 5 hours. So yeah, let's assume 30 minutes per question. Times 9. So you're writing for 4.5 hours straight (plus short answer). But if you only have 4.5 hours of writing stamina, it means you're crapping out on the last question.

Did you handwrite your law school exams? Did they last 5 hours?

START WRITING NOW. DON'T STOP!

Don't know if the format was different when you took it, but you only take 5 questions, then a 1.5 hour lunch break, then 4 questions and 10 short answer.

Also I hand-wrote exams whenever the option was available and always took notes by hand. Only ever used laptop on exams that required it.

I'll be fine with writing. It's knowing everything I need to know that concerns me.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I was literally first person done with the VA bar my year.

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer
I seriously cannot stand Commercial Paper, Creditor's Rights, and Secured Transactions. GOOD THING THE LAST TWO HAVEN'T BEEN ON THE EXAM SINCE 2009 AND WILL PROBABLY SHOW UP.

Also between posting here I just did an essay exam (Qs #1-5) from 2007 in 1 hour. I'LL HAVE PLENTY OF TIME TO CONTEMPLATE SUICIDE WHILE STARING BLANKLY AT THOSE SECURED TRANSACTION AND CREDITOR'S RIGHTS QUESTIONS.

Kill Me.

Boosted_C5 fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jul 21, 2012

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
Secured transactions is easy, just go with whoever perfected first, or, if there's any confusion as to who is perfected, go with whichever disposition is least equitable or satisfying to the parties involved.

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer

HolySwissCheese posted:

Secured transactions is easy, just go with whoever perfected first, or, if there's any confusion as to who is perfected, go with whichever disposition is least equitable or satisfying to the parties involved.

Perfection by (1) Filing Financing Statement w/ VA SCC, (2) Possession/Control

Requirements of Security Agreement --> (1) Creditor gives Value, (2) Debtor has rights in collateral, (3) Debtor signs/authenticates written security agreement.

If I can at least regurgitate this crap maybe I'll get enough points to pass.

EDIT --- I don't know why I'm getting nervous now. The 25-30% who fail have to include a lot of people who didn't study, have poor memorization skills, went to garbage schools because they're poor test takers, etc. My odds have to be better than 70%, right???

Plus I am a freaking stay-at-home dad. Whether or not I pass I'll just be playing Mr. Mom for the foreseeable future.

It will all be OK. It will all be OK. It will all be OK.

Boosted_C5 fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jul 21, 2012

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

Boosted_C5 posted:

Perfection by (1) Filing Financing Statement w/ VA SCC, (2) Possession/Control

Requirements of Security Agreement --> (1) Creditor gives Value, (2) Debtor has rights in collateral, (3) Debtor signs/authenticates written security agreement.

If I can at least regurgitate this crap maybe I'll get enough points to pass.

At least in Texas, you just have to write "files statement with appropriate recording office"

A big gotcha on our exam is that someone will have an interest in real property (e.g. fixtures) but records it with the Sec of State will have inferior claim re someone who files at the local county real estate office.

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer

HolySwissCheese posted:

At least in Texas, you just have to write "files statement with appropriate recording office"

A big gotcha on our exam is that someone will have an interest in real property (e.g. fixtures) but records it with the Sec of State will have inferior claim re someone who files at the local county real estate office.

Yeah in Virginia you're supposed to file a UCC-1 Financing Statement with the State Corporations Commission.

At least I think that's right based on my outlines. For all I know it's wrong and all the BarBri people will have the right answer and I won't because I got rejected for a Bar study loan since my credit sucks thanks to law school and I couldn't pay out of pocket because the Virginia Bar extorted my last ~$800 out of me for the privilege of being miserable for 3 months before killing myself in front of 1500 people in a hot, dingy arena on Tuesday.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

BREATHE, man. I know people who have been drunk since graduation who are still going to pass. We'll be fine.

Man, this thread is going to be a hot mess this week.

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer
Woozle Wuzzle, aren't you the Solo VA Bankruptcy guy I talked to in here a while back?

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012
prolly :) That fits my desription.

That's the same format. If you're used to writing that much you'll be OK I guess. Just a lot of my friends came out of the writing sessions with their arm hanging limply by their side and grimaces of horror.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Boosted_C5 posted:

I seriously cannot stand Commercial Paper, Creditor's Rights, and Secured Transactions.

I remember have all 3 (as well as a bunch of order vs bearer check/note questions) when I took the Regulation part of the CPA exam (for the 20% legal portion) - there really aren't too many variations on the legal concepts from what I recall.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

I was literally first person done with the VA bar my year.
And then everyone stood up and clapped as you moonwalked out of the hall, right

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Zarkov Cortez posted:

I was making the Crown fly their toxicologist from half way across the country to a rural town for a drive impaired by drug so that I could ask them one question to point out that there are no quantities listed in their report. They ended up arranging a teleconference thing though. I also made their DRE evaluator testify in person rather than allow his report to go in, but that produced some good evidence on cross for their lack of experience or training dealing with people who were extremely tired.
I laughed at everything being above board. Have you ever looked at a state's toxicologist's CV? I think I took more chem and bio courses than many of them.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I hand-wrote my essays on the NC bar and it was fine. No worries bro

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Linguica posted:

And then everyone stood up and clapped as you moonwalked out of the hall, right

I think they were busy taking the test...

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

I think they were busy taking the test...

Liar! We know you exited to "Ain't no stopping us now", now be forthright with us. :v:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

ThirdPartyView posted:

Liar! We know you exited to "Ain't no stopping us now", now be forthright with us. :v:

No, he left to the whole hall thinking, "Look at that idiot, he's giving up."

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
I was the first one done at my testing place (all 3 days) too. I passed by the skin of my teeth so I should have spent more time on it.

NM, I got those looks too. "aww come on buddy hang in there".

Roger_Mudd fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jul 22, 2012

Agesilaus
Jan 27, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Zarkov Cortez posted:

I was making the Crown fly their toxicologist from half way across the country to a rural town for a drive impaired by drug so that I could ask them one question to point out that there are no quantities listed in their report. They ended up arranging a teleconference thing though. I also made their DRE evaluator testify in person rather than allow his report to go in, but that produced some good evidence on cross for their lack of experience or training dealing with people who were extremely tired.

So you actually did something, rather than have them brought in to court just so you can go, "oh well it seems like you got them in, we're ready to plead/stipulate now". Although, you could of course just stipulate to the fact that no quantities were listed, but whatever, maybe you wanted some dramatic scene to take place in court.

At any rate, the author of the letter I was quoting didn't deserve any sympathy.

EDIT: If some moron defence attorney wrote me a letter saying "gently caress you", I'd probably just stick it up on the wall next to my massive american flag for everyone to chuckle at

Agesilaus fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jul 22, 2012

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I hand wrote my bar exam, no biggie. I recommend handwriting, actually.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
We have to in Michigan.

Anybody else taken the NCBEX practice exams? J Miracle indicated they might actually predict success okay. If they do, I'm gonna be totally and completely fine cause them things is super easy, it turns out

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
Oh, Kaplan essay graders. You pricks.

Florida requires a 136 on Part A (Florida) and a 136 on Part B (MBE). If you fall short on one of the exams, an average score of Parts A & B may qualify you to pass both parts. Does anybody have any idea approximately how many right answers are required on the MBE to get 136? (roughly, like a rule of thumb). I cannot find any reliable information on this.

So I am asking goons.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

buzzsaw.gif posted:

Florida requires a 136 on Part A (Florida) and a 136 on Part B (MBE). If you fall short on one of the exams, an average score of Parts A & B may qualify you to pass both parts. Does anybody have any idea approximately how many right answers are required on the MBE to get 136? (roughly, like a rule of thumb). I cannot find any reliable information on this.

So I am asking goons.
Here's what wiki says. No idea if this helps

quote:

Average scores

The average raw score from the summer exam historically has been about 128 (64% correct), while the average scaled score was about 140.[17] In summer 2007, the average scaled score was 143.7 with a standard deviation of 15.9. Over 50,000 applicants took the test; less than half that number took it in the winter.

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer

Feces Starship posted:

Anybody else taken the NCBEX practice exams? J Miracle indicated they might actually predict success okay. If they do, I'm gonna be totally and completely fine cause them things is super easy, it turns out

Yeah. Before even studying anything in May I was averaging 126 Raw Scores on old MBE questions. Kaplan and BarBri are brutal compared to actual questions.

When I moved to PMBR Early Bird Questions I was only averaging 50% correct.

Every question missed = writing down the rule in a word file called "MBE Trouble Areas", and writing down each question number on a piece of paper to re-test a month later.

When I went back to do questions I missed 2 weeks ago, I average 140 Raw, although I think I did a bit better than I should have due to memory and familiarity.

I saved my 2010 BarBri Simulated Final book I bough on E-Bay for the last week. A lot of people found the Simulated Final to be absurd, so I wanted something hard for last. 47 correct out of 80 so far, 20 questions to go. So on pace for a 118 Raw. On the actual MBE you only need about 62% correct or a raw 124 to get 140 scaled.

I'm mostly just studying for the essay exam now and planning on doing MBE cramming for 3-4 hours Tuesday night after the essay day is over.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
The actual exam is tough, sure. But the months of agonizing about whether you failed are way, WAY worse.

But I'm sure everyone here will pass! Hahaha!

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres

buzzsaw.gif posted:

So I am asking goons.
IIRC scaled score is raw score plus 15-20 points.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Feces Starship posted:

We have to in Michigan.

Yep. I took them and they reflected how I did on the actual MBE way closer than Barbri's simulation did. Never forget that Barbri's job is to scare the poo poo out of you

Phil Moscowitz posted:

The actual exam is tough, sure. But the months of agonizing about whether you failed are way, WAY worse.

So so true

Agesilaus
Jan 27, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Phil Moscowitz posted:

But I'm sure everyone here will pass! Hahaha!

Statistically, some of the posters here are doomed to fail. It's only a matter of time before they receive notice of that failure, and then they'll have a lifetime to deal with the fall-out: jobless, humiliated, and crushed under the burden of an unpayable student loan debt...

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Agesilaus posted:

Statistically, some of the posters here are doomed to fail. It's only a matter of time before they receive notice of that failure, and then they'll have a lifetime to deal with the fall-out: jobless, humiliated, and crushed under the burden of an unpayable student loan debt...

Until February :haw:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Yeah, compared to August-November, May-July was a cakewalk.

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer
I'm not going to worry about it. Gonna play with my son, play video games while he naps, and stay up late watching TV. If I fail the test is B.S.

Now is the time for worry and panic.

Also can anyone good at math explain how Virginia grades exams for me?

They (VBBE) state the following 4 things:

1. Passing = Combined Scaled Score of 140

2. MBE weighted 40%, State Essays/Short Answer weighted 60%

3. 9 State Essays @ 10 points each, 10 Short Answer @ 1 point each.

4. Essay Exam Scores scaled to match MBE, average Essay Exam score = average MBE score.

http://www.vbbe.state.va.us/faq/faqscall.html

If 140 is needed to pass, and the average MBE score is right around that apparently, then wouldn't you need to score average on both to pass? But the pass rate isn't 50%, it's 75% or so. I am not good with numbers.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Current final year engineering student here.

Now I read the OP and I understand that I would probably have a better career in engineering (starting at about 50k and moving to a ceiling of maybe 80k if lucky) but I'm not really interested in the money per se. I believe that if I wanted to I could go to law school: I have a 90% average in engineering and I'm Black.

I'd be going with the end goal of becoming a superior court judge and probably applying to U of T or McGill. Is this as stupid of an idea as it sounds? I don't have "connections" (here, anyway) and I went to public school. What does it take to get to that level in Canada?

mutism
Feb 17, 2011
You're going to need to pinpoint the specific tier of appellate court before you set your career goals prior to beginning law school, sorry buddy.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Isentropy posted:

Current final year engineering student here.

Now I read the OP and I understand that I would probably have a better career in engineering (starting at about 50k and moving to a ceiling of maybe 80k if lucky) but I'm not really interested in the money per se. I believe that if I wanted to I could go to law school: I have a 90% average in engineering and I'm Black.

I'd be going with the end goal of becoming a superior court judge and probably applying to U of T or McGill. Is this as stupid of an idea as it sounds? I don't have "connections" (here, anyway) and I went to public school. What does it take to get to that level in Canada?

Don't know about Canada, but here going to law school just to be a judge is like joining little league to become an MLB player, but paying $100k for the chance. Even more so if you want to be a federal judge.
It is probably a requirement, but you better have a backup plan.
Note also that with with exception of specialty courts, you pretty much need to do litigation (ideally criminal prosecution :() if you want to be on the bench, so engineering isn't going to be a help.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

mutism posted:

You're going to need to pinpoint the specific tier of appellate court before you set your career goals prior to beginning law school, sorry buddy.

Provincial superior court (think Ontario Supreme Court of Justice). I'm starting to get the idea that planning for a specific tier of court before I started law school might be a bad idea?

nm posted:

Don't know about Canada, but here going to law school just to be a judge is like joining little league to become an MLB player, but paying $100k for the chance. Even more so if you want to be a federal judge.
It is probably a requirement, but you better have a backup plan.
Note also that with with exception of specialty courts, you pretty much need to do litigation (ideally criminal prosecution :() if you want to be on the bench, so engineering isn't going to be a help.

e: That is a pretty good way of looking at it. I wouldn't have to worry about the cost per se and I would have a career I could fall back on.
doesn't seem horrible but I doubt it would pay well.
Being a Crown Attorney seems like it would pay well in Ontario but the criminal litigation part sort of worries me. A close family member of mine is a superior court judge in another country but in their later years (and after things started getting a bit personal) they avoid it like the plague now.

Isentropy fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jul 22, 2012

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012

Boosted_C5 posted:

If 140 is needed to pass, and the average MBE score is right around that apparently, then wouldn't you need to score average on both to pass? But the pass rate isn't 50%, it's 75% or so. I am not good with numbers.

My understanding was the VA supreme court determines the pass line with magic voodoo. It's weighted towards a mystery rate adjusted each test depending on whatever the judges feel like. At least that's how it worked under chief justice Hassell. I dunno how it works with the new lady. The formulas and weighting are not public record. The end result was around 70% pass rate under Hassell, but each test would vary a little. (I'm guessing they looked at the score spread, gauging whether a test was easy or hard, and basing the rate on that)

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Agesilaus posted:

Nah, that one goon's husband failed like five times so nobody else has to worry about it. That's just how statistics work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer

woozle wuzzle posted:

My understanding was the VA supreme court determines the pass line with magic voodoo. It's weighted towards a mystery rate adjusted each test depending on whatever the judges feel like. At least that's how it worked under chief justice Hassell. I dunno how it works with the new lady. The formulas and weighting are not public record. The end result was around 70% pass rate under Hassell, but each test would vary a little. (I'm guessing they looked at the score spread, gauging whether a test was easy or hard, and basing the rate on that)

Ah. Ok. So it's just b.s. on the VBBE website. Not surprising. I'm guessing Hassell was replaced with the new lady in late 2007 or 2008, because the pass rate was between 69-71% until then. Over the last few years it's been 79, 75, 75, 76. Thank God for that at least.

My school's pass rate recently has been awesome (95%). Looked at the LSAC study on bar pass rates. 95% for my sex/ethnicity/above mean LSAT.

LSAT and LGPA = Highest correlation with passing.

Ugh. Please don't let me be that 5%.