Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Holy Doughnuts!
Oct 20, 2010

Sergeant Butterman, the little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
I like Line of Duty, the guy playing Gates is pretty much carrying it and it's nice to see Liz from Shaun of the Dead again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
I laughed at bits of that American Inbetweeners trailer.

There's no hope for me, is there? :smith:

Holy Doughnuts!
Oct 20, 2010

Sergeant Butterman, the little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
If they were the jokes lifted straight from our version then no, you're not totally lost.

Benzene
Feb 1, 2007
So viel Spaß für wenig Geld.
I hate coming across like 'British comedy is so deeply nuanced that Americans cannot touch it' cause that's not the case at all, but seriously, that's loving awful.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

It's not subtlety or nuance but they literally just lift the funny lines from British comedy, put them in American high school settings, change the social dynamics between the speakers and the social environment they're in and somehow expect the humour to remain.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Christ. I've never dismissed an American remake before watching it, but there is literally nothing redeeming about that trailer.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
I don't think it's that offensively bad, but I never cared for the Inbetweeners in the first place.

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010
The great thing about the original was that it was almost as filthy, language- and concept-wise, as being that age was. If it's on MTV they can't have any of that can they? Also it looks like they lifted almost everything else they could straight from the original so it's probably not going to be relatable to American audiences. That plus the lack of filth doesn't leave much at all.

Fake edit turned real edit: It seems like the Will character will not work because he doesn't look like enough of a dweeb. A major aspect of the character is that he's a posh twat in a state school, which doesn't translate directly to American culture.

Intbetweeners was basically Mark Corrigan's time at sixth form, there was a reason the US Peep Show never saw the light of day, I don't know why they thought this remake would work.

WaffleACAB fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jul 19, 2012

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

Wafflecop posted:

The great thing about the original was that it was almost as filthy, language- and concept-wise, as being that age was. If it's on MTV they can't have any of that can they? Also it looks like they lifted almost everything else they could straight from the original so it's probably not going to be relatable to American audiences. That plus the lack of filth doesn't leave much at all.

Fake edit turned real edit: It seems like the Will character will not work because he doesn't look like enough of a dweeb. A major aspect of the character is that he's a posh twat in a state school, which doesn't translate directly to American culture.

Intbetweeners was basically Mark Corrigan's time at sixth form, there was a reason the US Peep Show never saw the light of day, I don't know why they thought this remake would work.

I'm reminded of the America remake of Dad's Army. How can you have Dad's Army without the British class dynamic?

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

When will they learn that just transfering the same jokes, characters and plotlines across the pond (in either direction, see: That 70's Show) simply does not work.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
A reminder that there were two separate pilots for a US series of Red Dwarf. They cast Lister as a generic, unslobby, white hunk-type, and in the second one changed the Cat from a black man to a white woman.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
The only hope for it is an Office type situation, whereby it starts out as a direct lift, but they have to grow it in series 2 as there's not enough source material.

I doubt it'll make it to series 2 though. One thing that might help it is that I think the film is coming out over there soon. If it does well, it may create an audience, but they'd probably just want to watch the original series.

Dr Snofeld posted:

A reminder that there were two separate pilots for a US series of Red Dwarf. They cast Lister as a generic, unslobby, white hunk-type, and in the second one changed the Cat from a black man to a white woman.

There was also talks of a Spaced remake a few years ago. If I remember correctly, it was focused mainly on the idea of two people pretending to be a couple to get an apartment, an idea I had pretty much forgotten from Spaced and certainly not the main thread of the series. Also, there was already a US series based on the same idea, Ned & Stacey.

Mickolution fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jul 19, 2012

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I've seen clips of Spaced and it looked pretty awful. I watched as much as I could bare of Peep Show (about 4 minutes, twice) and that was probably the worst one i've seen which is why you won't find people talking about it much. It's a shame I only found out afterwards that it was Jonny Galecki because it would be fun to watch it knowing that, but my copy is long gone. IT Crowd was a bit painful, but everyone's seen that now it's up on YouTube.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

The pHo posted:

I've seen clips of Spaced and it looked pretty awful. I watched as much as I could bare of Peep Show (about 4 minutes, twice) and that was probably the worst one i've seen which is why you won't find people talking about it much. It's a shame I only found out afterwards that it was Jonny Galecki because it would be fun to watch it knowing that, but my copy is long gone. IT Crowd was a bit painful, but everyone's seen that now it's up on YouTube.

This post confused the gently caress out of me until I realised you were talking about the American versions.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Mickolution posted:

There was also talks of a Spaced remake a few years ago. If I remember correctly, it was focused mainly on the idea of two people pretending to be a couple to get an apartment, an idea I had pretty much forgotten from Spaced and certainly not the main thread of the series. Also, there was already a US series based on the same idea, Ned & Stacey.

Doesn't this all go back to Man About the House / Three's Company if they only care about the initial setup?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

The Spaced remake pilot was HORRIBLE. The whole thing was on the internet at one point, but this pretty much sums it up. How did they make Brian/everything so completely unfunny?

It actually made me appreciate the IT Crowd remake's pilot when I saw it. It wasn't great, but at least it didn't feel as soulless as the Spaced one.

Mickolution posted:

If I remember correctly, it was focused mainly on the idea of two people pretending to be a couple to get an apartment, an idea I had pretty much forgotten from Spaced and certainly not the main thread of the series.

That is actually the whole premise of the original Spaced, and it's very relevant right up to the series finale. I'm pretty sure the US pilot is basically another word-for-word copy of the British version.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 20, 2012

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

thexerox123 posted:

The Spaced remake pilot was HORRIBLE. The whole thing was on the internet at one point, but this pretty much sums it up. How did they make Brian/everything so completely unfunny?

It actually made me appreciate the IT Crowd remake's pilot when I saw it. It wasn't great, but at least it didn't feel as soulless as the Spaced one.

That is actually the whole premise of the original Spaced, and it's very relevant right up to the series finale. I'm pretty sure the US pilot is basically another word-for-word copy of the British version.

Oh god. How the gently caress can you even make an American Mike? Being able to actually get guns makes his character instantly change into something much more sinister.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I hadn't thought about that before but it's a great point. Also, can you imagine how the T.A. = toddlers thing would go down over there ?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I hadn't thought about that before but it's a great point. Also, can you imagine how the T.A. = toddlers thing would go down over there ?

Yeah there's no way that would go down well. But to be fair, if Spaced was broadcast now I bet there would be outrage over them making fun of our brave TA. While nowhere near as bad as the yanks, we've got pretty bad ourselves with the whole military worship thing since going into Afghanistan and Iraq.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

They do have a National Guard. But holy goddamn I never thought that about US Spaced Mike before :gonk:.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

Junkenstein posted:

When will they learn that just transfering the same jokes, characters and plotlines across the pond (in either direction, see: That 70's Show) simply does not work.

The Office was a big success, so they will never stop doing it. You'd be surprised how effective "well it worked in this market" is, to sell a TV show.

There is an American version of Take me out, what :stare:

Ponce de Le0n fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jul 20, 2012

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I'd like to see other countries but the US try and see if some of our better shows can make it on their shores.

I'd think the French Red Dwarf would be incredibly surreal.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Has no-one posted the Red Dwarf X trailer yet?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
A mixture of fear and despair.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

goatface posted:

A mixture of fear and despair.

Not here, I'll always be excited for more Red Dwarf! Even though they're making my "Complete Collection" box-set increasingly outdated.

Leon with a Zero posted:

The Office was a big success, so they will never stop doing it. You'd be surprised how effective "well it worked in this market" is, to sell a TV show.

Yeah. As long as the industry is run by executives who care more about money than story (which I don't see changing anytime soon, despite the internet/cheaper HD cameras taking away a bit of their monopoly), poo poo like that is never going to change.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jul 20, 2012

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Certainly interesting to see as I am one of the biggest Red Dwarf fans out there.

I do have to say though that Craig Charles is looking old, then again crack will do that to you.

Looks like they do have some of the old type of humour in there so I have higher hopes than the previous attempt.

AS for Red Dwarf USA, there were a couple of good jokes in there. The Baseball card joke and the *sparks* "Actually that one was rather good" got a good chuckle from me the first time I saw it.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

I've enjoyed this run of jokes in Mock the Week:

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum

Leon with a Zero posted:

Is there video proof? I imagine it's on MTV or something and fits a lot better there than ITV's. I dread to think what their answer to Fernando's is?

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

My friend's dad owns the production company that makes Red Dwarf (probably mentioned this before ITT). Apparently this series will actually be good, compared to the one off thing last year (?) which was basically to see if they could get the cast and everyone together again.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

incredible bear posted:

Is there video proof? I imagine it's on MTV or something and fits a lot better there than ITV's. I dread to think what their answer to Fernando's is?

"You're off to Guantanamo's!"

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum
Okay, found an episode on vimeo, not sure if that means I can link to it? Exact same opening credits, the set looks inch-for-inch identical (not that I watch the British version ever)

And as for Fernando's... the lovely couple getaway to... say it with me folks... THE TAKE ME OUT RESORT!

loving hell it's identical, George Lopez says "BRING ON THE GIRLS" gets his arms out to be walked down at the end. The girls even look on par with the majority of the Brits. Apart from the accents and the audience being even more into it (insanely so), it's inseperable. This'll end up on ITV2 for sure.

:( R.I.P. No likey, no lighty.

If you're not turned on, TURN OFF!

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

thexerox123 posted:

Ohh yeah, I know it was important in the UK one, but there were so few jokes based around it that I'd forgotten. I remember reading that the US one was going to focus on it more, though.

Leon with a Zero posted:

There's an Irish one too. It's really entertaining because of how low rent it is. For example, instead of sending them off on a short holiday, they send the couples to a fictional nightclub called "Shifters" ("shift" being Irish slang for snog), which is just a couch backstage where they have a chat for a few minutes.

Here's an episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18Cf-DdVuVA

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Mickolution posted:

There's an Irish one too. It's really entertaining because of how low rent it is. For example, instead of sending them off on a short holiday, they send the couples to a fictional nightclub called "Shifters" ("shift" being Irish slang for snog), which is just a couch backstage where they have a chat for a few minutes.

Here's an episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18Cf-DdVuVA

To be fair, that's what they did in the ITV version for the first series.

I love Take Me Out. gently caress the haters.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Junkenstein posted:

Take Me Out is glorious aspirational television. I would give anything for the opportunity to dress up like a tart and then turn my light off on a guy because he was a ginge :allears:

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Junkenstein posted:

Yeah, but it's run for 3 series and was pretty much a guaranteed hit when it started here. Tbh, I love the Irish one in a so bad it's good sort of way. So much so, I don't enjoy the UK one as much any more because it seems so polished in comparison. Like, in the UK one, the girls are mostly quite attractive and the lads talent isn't usually just doing keepy-uppies. What's that about?

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Mickolution posted:

Like, in the UK one, the girls are mostly quite attractive

What.

I guess if you like gallons of make up and fake tan but come on, they all just seem so fake. I'm sure if they didn't try so hard they'd look much better, but each to their own i suppose.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Maybe it's just compared to the Irish one :)

edit: actually, thinking about it, I'm basing that on one particular girl who was lovely. Can't remember her name, though.

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010

Mickolution posted:

Maybe it's just compared to the Irish one :)

edit: actually, thinking about it, I'm basing that on one particular girl who was lovely. Can't remember her name, though.

I assume you're thinking of Rian from the first series.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Has no one watched The Hollow Crown, or does it have its own thread?

Because if the former, y'all should go back and watch it all, it is incredible. Henry V just finished and I'm still buzzing from it. It's the best thing the BBC has done in years, and massively outclasses the Patrick Stewart Macbeth and the David Tennant Hamlet and whatever other Shakespeare adaptation that's shown up lately. I guess the big draw is Tom Hiddleston as Hal, but he is genuinely fantastic, that's the performance of his life.

It's all on IPlayer now I think, though I'm not sure Richard III will be there for much longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

FelixMeOneMoreTime posted:

I assume you're thinking of Rian from the first series.

Hahaha, was about to reply "no, she was in a later series" when I looked up who you mean...