Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

jadebullet posted:

So, was the old IG Armored Company rules a second edition thing? The friend who got me into the hobby ran one exclusively, and I never beat him. (Even in a 3 against one match.)

If it's the list I'm thinking of, he was probably cheating. There was an Armored Company list that had all sorts of special rules he didn't tell you about. Every weapon had a chance to glance, the ACompany wasn't allowed to drive within 3" of terrain, and there was some other crazy poo poo to balance out that most armies weren't built to deal with an all-tanks army.

Does glancing a Leman Russ with a lasgun sound familiar? No? Cheating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
Are reserve armies going to be more viable now? You can start one squad sitting in an aegis line with a comm relay and basically everyone can get reserve re-rolls now.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

CyberLord XP posted:

Are reserve armies going to be more viable now? You can start one squad sitting in an aegis line with a comm relay and basically everyone can get reserve re-rolls now.

Does it require a model to do anything with that comm relay? Like give up shooting or something? Because it would be a pretty cool spot for Pathfinders in an Eldar reserve army.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

CyberLord XP posted:

Reserves are definitely more reliable, but you can't rely on them entirely because of the rule that says you lose automatically if you don't have any models on the table at the end of a game turn.

Fix posted:

Does it require a model to do anything with that comm relay? Like give up shooting or something? Because it would be a pretty cool spot for Pathfinders in an Eldar reserve army.

While you could do this, you could also just bring an autarch. Remember those dudes? :v:

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

PeterWeller posted:

While you could do this, you could also just bring an autarch. Remember those dudes? :v:

+1 with a reroll is still better than +1.

When you absolutely, positively need to be there when you intend.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Ahh, I forgot about the reroll.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007
Instead of braving warseer, I'll just ask here. When's the CSM/DA start set coming out and will the new CSM codex be out at the same time?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
The starter set is probably still September, and the Chaos book might be August? WD scans should be showing up any day now.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Hey guys, do you like skulls? Because

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
8.5 out of 10

Judges notes: Tank lacked enough skulls to really capture the spirit of 40K.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Welp time to wrap up this thread. It's been swell gents.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007
That's one sweet tank.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
:stonk:

What the gently caress is that thing.
Who thought those banners were a good idea?

Edit: Oh god, he's even got Rommel as part of his name. I can't even tell what the first word is though.

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jul 21, 2012

Tailfnz
Oct 13, 2011

I'm delightfully forgettable.
Joke's on him, CSM can't take Crusaders.

e: Not yet, anyway. I hope they can in the next 'dex, if only for my Crusader to get some more mileage pulling double codex duty.

Tailfnz fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jul 21, 2012

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Safety Factor posted:

My freehand entry for the oath thread is now going to have a nude daemon with Khornate labia.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Looks like a Lords of Acid album cover.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Might as well counter that :black101: tank with my :ussr: tank that I painted today:

The writing on the side of the tank says "Annihilate the Fascists" and the writing on the barrel says "Crush", while the star is just a star!

I also finished the snipers and some of their buddies:

Expect better pictures of at least the Basilisk in the next few weeks when I get my camera back.

CrotchPheasant
Jun 7, 2004

nobody important

Those look pretty awesome. If I had any skill I'd try to make some that look like the old 2nd edition cards.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

I bought this Land Raider from Fix and it has a Sister of Battle playing some double-decker wrap around keyboard in it. What the hell is this model from?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

CyberLord XP posted:

I bought this Land Raider from Fix and it has a Sister of Battle playing some double-decker wrap around keyboard in it. What the hell is this model from?

The Exorcist, the worst model.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I think you mean best. (Although if I use any more of them they'll be the FW ones because gently caress.)

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

moths posted:

I think you mean best. (Although if I use any more of them they'll be the FW ones because gently caress.)

I love the look of them but holy gently caress I would not want to put one together, let alone the three that almost any good Sisters list usually has.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I hate running duplicate same-pose models of anything that's really eye-catching, so the FW ones are really nice - but I've seriously been assembling this thing off-and-on for over a year now.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

moths posted:

If it's the list I'm thinking of, he was probably cheating. There was an Armored Company list that had all sorts of special rules he didn't tell you about. Every weapon had a chance to glance, the ACompany wasn't allowed to drive within 3" of terrain, and there was some other crazy poo poo to balance out that most armies weren't built to deal with an all-tanks army.

Does glancing a Leman Russ with a lasgun sound familiar? No? Cheating.

Nah, he was fully in the rules. We double checked when we played. I was playing Tau at the time and my list was not the best. (essentially the old battleforce plus as many railguns as I could find.) I had no problem hitting his tanks, or even penetrating. I just tended to get weapon destroyed or crew shaken results. We were just playing for fun though, with the models on the floor and his pile of skin mags representing buildings.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
Not sure if this would fit better into the modeling thread but whats the most economical way of doing a vendetta conversion? seems most bitz sellers are out of land raider and predator Lascannons, I could pony up for the forgeword bitz but it seems excessive for whats a rather simple conversion.

Tailfnz
Oct 13, 2011

I'm delightfully forgettable.
I ask again, Legion of the Damned: points costs aside, are these mother fuckers even remotely useful now that Slow and Purposeful has changed, or do they still suck complete rear end?

I really just want an excuse to get these: http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440272a&prodId=prod1600052a

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
They're still really expensive Tac Marines with the ability to move and shoot a heavy weapon. Just buy the models and use them as Sternguard or something.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Ezekiel_980 posted:

Not sure if this would fit better into the modeling thread but whats the most economical way of doing a vendetta conversion? seems most bitz sellers are out of land raider and predator Lascannons, I could pony up for the forgeword bitz but it seems excessive for whats a rather simple conversion.

Spare IG heavy weapons team lascannons would probably be a good bet.

Anti-Citizen
Oct 24, 2007
As You're Playing Chess, I'm Playing Russian Roulette

SRM posted:

Spare IG heavy weapons team lascannons would probably be a good bet.

That's exactly how I did mine, you have roughly a million of the over priced hunks of junk lieing around after you've built a proper Auttocannon line

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

SRM posted:

I love the look of them but holy gently caress I would not want to put one together, let alone the three that almost any good Sisters list usually has.

Having built two of them, I endorse this message. That thing required JB Weld, clamps, bands, and a rubber mallet and vice to literally pound the pipe mount back into shape before it would sit flat. And both were warped in the exact same way, so you know it was a problem with the mold.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Fix posted:

Having built two of them, I endorse this message. That thing required JB Weld, clamps, bands, and a rubber mallet and vice to literally pound the pipe mount back into shape before it would sit flat. And both were warped in the exact same way, so you know it was a problem with the mold.

Counts-as Exorcists are the only reason people ever buy Whirlwinds.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Anti-Citizen posted:

That's exactly how I did mine, you have roughly a million of the over priced hunks of junk lieing around after you've built a proper Auttocannon line

Sadly I have steel legion so I'm kinda short on those (bought the auto cannons separate) gonna search tomorrow see if a few other sites have what I need.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Time to embarrass myself.

The result of a day's painting on 'n off - trying out my new tau color scheme. Still getting back into the swing of things.
Hating myself already - I'm going to have about 90 Fire Warriors to paint in this scheme.
Pinstriping gold is a bitch.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Undead Tailfnz posted:

I ask again, Legion of the Damned: points costs aside, are these mother fuckers even remotely useful now that Slow and Purposeful has changed, or do they still suck complete rear end?

I really just want an excuse to get these: http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440272a&prodId=prod1600052a

Let's see... 30 points a pop (plus 35 for the sargeant) for deepstriking marines equipped with relentless bolters, who use the elites slot. Yeah, no. Take a GKSS instead.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Huhehehehahahahooha!

I'm dumb.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Safety Factor posted:

Edit: Oh god, he's even got Rommel as part of his name. I can't even tell what the first word is though.

It's Dmitry. His name might just actually be Rommel.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

Fix posted:

Huhehehehahahahooha!

I'm dumb.

Those rocks are floating, in case people just breeze past it. Very cool. I want to know what those clear sticks are made out of.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Those rocks are floating, in case people just breeze past it. Very cool. I want to know what those clear sticks are made out of.

Plastic, my man. Cut from a fibre-optic-ish toy. Might as well use fishing line or really thin clear weed-eater cord. In short lengths it stands straight, or be bent and stay in place, and will hold the chunks of cork no problem. The effect is better in person, where you can move around it and not see the strands as easily.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
Stiff fishing wire with cork might make the rocks bob up and down. Which makes it even cooler.

I wanted DBZ kind of floating rocks around my display board to represent the chaos storm descending upon the planet's surface. This is something I am going to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

They'll only bob for a second once you set the board down, unless you've got a fan on it or something.

• Locked thread