Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face
One week to go, and I am not nearly as finished on my costumes as I wanted to be :(

I did manage to 95% finish the 2P mask though:

I think he came out pretty scary/awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Cinnamon Bastard posted:

A good suggestion for movie style lenses, but I'm aiming for the larger (but not the insanely huge) comic-style eyes.

Something in this range:

But the more I think about it, the more likely I'm gonna be going mask-less. That mask is hard to make look good, and I'd rather put the effort into the suit.

The reflective lenses never come out right. The only Spidey masks I've seen that looked decent had white fabric in the eye openings. Visibility through thin white spandex isn't too bad, believe it or not.

Related, I'm thinking about selling off some of my spandex suits. My husband has a very nice classic black Spidey suit (comic style, not film) that he doesn't wear anymore (hard to do Spider-man poses when you have two bad knees), maybe I'll try to convince him to sell it instead of leaving it in a closet forever. If we do decide to sell off any of our suits, I'll definitely let this thread know - they're all great quality, and I'd love them to go to someone who would really appreciate them.

Cinnamon Bastard
Dec 15, 2006

But that totally wasn't my fault. You shouldn't even be able to put the car in gear with the bar open.

RazorBunny posted:

The reflective lenses never come out right. The only Spidey masks I've seen that looked decent had white fabric in the eye openings. Visibility through thin white spandex isn't too bad, believe it or not.

Actually, my plan was to sandwich white spandex fabric between two lenses, so that I got the shininess of the lens surface, the shape, and the opaque white look while still being able to see. I'll keep an eye out, but mostly focus on making the suit right now.

The boots are really my concern. Thinking about finding some calf-high waterproof socks and painting them up. Or some black spandex socks and coating them in something. We'll see what crazy bullshit I come up with.

THIZZFACE KILLA posted:

One week to go, and I am not nearly as finished on my costumes as I wanted to be :(

I did manage to 95% finish the 2P mask though:

I think he came out pretty scary/awesome.

That is pretty baller.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Cinnamon Bastard posted:

The boots are really my concern. Thinking about finding some calf-high waterproof socks and painting them up. Or some black spandex socks and coating them in something. We'll see what crazy bullshit I come up with.

Neoprene diving boots/shoes are the go-to for spandex suits, at least in my experience. They have an actual sole on them, which you may not think matters, but a) walking around basically barefoot at a con really sucks and b) spandex is really not sturdy enough to walk around on all day, and it will start to wear through very quickly.

The Superhero Costuming Forum is a good resource. I've gotten out of superhero stuff for the most part, so I don't post there anymore, and there has been the usual weird cosplayer drama from time to time, but they have a lot of good ideas.

Just be aware that if you post your costume and it looks like rear end, they're probably still going to tell you it looks great. It can be a bit of a hugbox sometimes.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

RazorBunny posted:

Related, I'm thinking about selling off some of my spandex suits.

If you decide to, I hope you post here. I may be interested depending on what you have.

Cinnamon Bastard
Dec 15, 2006

But that totally wasn't my fault. You shouldn't even be able to put the car in gear with the bar open.
*Sees self in compression-fit clothing*

Holy gently caress I have skinny bird-legs.

Thanks for the link RazorBunny. I think I'm going to set the mask issue aside, and make this a lot less insane of a project.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Reformed Tomboy posted:

If you decide to, I hope you post here. I may be interested depending on what you have.

They were all made back when I was pretty skinny, but with the exception of my Catwoman suit they're all standard spandex and will accommodate a larger frame (within reason). I'm 5'6"-ish, and the suits are measured for 34A-26-36 or so.

Still not sure if I want to part with them. On the one hand, I don't think I'll ever wear any of them again, but at the same time it's hard to let them go.

I have a comics-style Catwoman (shiny black PVC) that will probably need new gloves, a plain white suit with a mock turtle neck and stirrup hands (from my Barbarella), a Speedy (Green Arrow's sidekick), a Sinestro Corps suit with metallic gold rather than yellow, and a plain black long-sleeved legless cotton-lycra leotard I wore as part of a Raven costume.

The Catwoman is bodysuit, gloves, and separate cowl. The Sinestro Corps is bodysuit, gauntlets, and arm band. The Speedy is bodysuit and a homemade cape. They were all made for me by Loreen of Spandexwear.com (who I 100% recommend for your super suit needs :))

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Hoping that this thread can give me some advice and guidance. I'm trying to make an arm cannon for my Megaman costume, which I will hopefully have done for Otakon (in a week). I was going to use a rubber road cone as the base for the sleeve of the cannon, cut so that I can easily wear and remove it as necessary. I've gotten the rough piece of rubber cut out, and I've attempted to paint it using some generic Krylon non-enamel spray paint. My problem is that the paint refused to set completely after I did a first coat a week and a half ago. Yesterday I put another coat of paint on, since I still intend to use it if I can, but I'm pretty worried that it won't dry in time, even though I've had it sitting by the AC unit to get some airflow.

What are some quick/easy/cheap alternatives for me to construct the sleeve portion of an arm cannon? I don't have much space in my apartment, and I don't have a dedicated workshop area. I was considering paper mache, but I don't know if that can A)be sturdy enough, B)not look like rear end.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Green Intern posted:

Hoping that this thread can give me some advice and guidance. I'm trying to make an arm cannon for my Megaman costume, which I will hopefully have done for Otakon (in a week). I was going to use a rubber road cone as the base for the sleeve of the cannon, cut so that I can easily wear and remove it as necessary. I've gotten the rough piece of rubber cut out, and I've attempted to paint it using some generic Krylon non-enamel spray paint. My problem is that the paint refused to set completely after I did a first coat a week and a half ago. Yesterday I put another coat of paint on, since I still intend to use it if I can, but I'm pretty worried that it won't dry in time, even though I've had it sitting by the AC unit to get some airflow.

What are some quick/easy/cheap alternatives for me to construct the sleeve portion of an arm cannon? I don't have much space in my apartment, and I don't have a dedicated workshop area. I was considering paper mache, but I don't know if that can A)be sturdy enough, B)not look like rear end.

My buddy and I used a drink pitcher for his arm cannon and covered it in fabric. You could possibly do it by covering it in vinyl or possibly painting it with plastic specific paint. You could also use yoga/cheap sleeping mat foam and paint that.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

RazorBunny posted:

They were all made back when I was pretty skinny, but with the exception of my Catwoman suit they're all standard spandex and will accommodate a larger frame (within reason). I'm 5'6"-ish, and the suits are measured for 34A-26-36 or so.

Still not sure if I want to part with them. On the one hand, I don't think I'll ever wear any of them again, but at the same time it's hard to let them go.

I have a comics-style Catwoman (shiny black PVC) that will probably need new gloves, a plain white suit with a mock turtle neck and stirrup hands (from my Barbarella), a Speedy (Green Arrow's sidekick), a Sinestro Corps suit with metallic gold rather than yellow, and a plain black long-sleeved legless cotton-lycra leotard I wore as part of a Raven costume.

The Catwoman is bodysuit, gloves, and separate cowl. The Sinestro Corps is bodysuit, gauntlets, and arm band. The Speedy is bodysuit and a homemade cape. They were all made for me by Loreen of Spandexwear.com (who I 100% recommend for your super suit needs :))

I'm just an inch or two taller than you, but otherwise I have identical measurements to the ones you listed. I'd be interested in the cat woman suit and the black leo if you wanted to sell, but I also don't really have the money to buy anything until aug/sept so no worries if you decide not to.

I understand that feel about not wanting to part with stuff. I had to trash parts of an old costume when I moved and it was hard. I never even wore the part with the costume, but because of all the work I put into it, it was hard to see it go into the garbage.

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"

Green Intern posted:

You actually need to use spray paint made specifically for plastics otherwise you'll either encounter the problems you're having, or the plastic will melt or bubble.

I'd suggest carving it out of foam (the kind you find inside furniture - can be found at JoAnn's) and covering it in fabric like Funhilde said, but papier-mâché wouldn't be too bad. You can actually sand that stuff down really well and get it incredibly smooth. You can even coat it with Bondo or other materials, and it's all relatively inexpensive and can be done at your kitchen table.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm already making a trip to the Ace Hardware tonight to get some more spraypaint. I'll see if they have any chicken wire or something to use as a frame for paper mache. I'll consider the foam thing also.

I was also thinking about rigging up a simple light for the business end, which I have no real idea of how to do, aside from "use solder for circuitry."

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jul 19, 2012

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

I love looking over my receipts from purchasing costume materials. Industrial supply catalog, hardware store, craft store, office supply store, sporting goods store...

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

RazorBunny posted:

I love looking over my receipts from purchasing costume materials. Industrial supply catalog, hardware store, craft store, office supply store, sporting goods store...

Ha, I throw mine away ASAP so I'll never know just how much my costumes cost.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

McPantserton posted:

Ha, I throw mine away ASAP so I'll never know just how much my costumes cost.

I used to, but then I had something kind of expensive that I decided wouldn't work out and I had a lot of trouble returning it without the receipt.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Green Intern posted:

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm already making a trip to the Ace Hardware tonight to get some more spraypaint. I'll see if they have any chicken wire or something to use as a frame for paper mache. I'll consider the foam thing also.

I was also thinking about rigging up a simple light for the business end, which I have no real idea of how to do, aside from "use solder for circuitry."
before shopping search The Instructables website for Mega-man. There is a few good tutorials, we used the one that was actually for a little boy. They will have some ideas that should fit into your time limits. :)

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"

RazorBunny posted:

I only save them if I'm particularly proud of how much I saved, a la Extreme Couponing.

Pattern sales make my nipples hard.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

RazorBunny posted:

I used to, but then I had something kind of expensive that I decided wouldn't work out and I had a lot of trouble returning it without the receipt.

This is true. I do tend to keep stuff around if I'm not sure about it, which is nice--I ended up returning a piece of wood that cost freaking $14 after I found a different board that was both better and cheaper. Mostly I'm just way, way happier not knowing how much money I spent on craft foam over the course of each summer. :gonk:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

McPantserton posted:

This is true. I do tend to keep stuff around if I'm not sure about it, which is nice--I ended up returning a piece of wood that cost freaking $14 after I found a different board that was both better and cheaper. Mostly I'm just way, way happier not knowing how much money I spent on craft foam over the course of each summer. :gonk:

You should start buying industrial EVA foam. 1/8", 29"x47" sheets are $12.09, and 1/4" sheets the same size are $24.32. It's not exactly the same as craft foam - it's made of the same substance, but the cells are slightly larger, so it's a little more flexible and a little squishier, and you do have to seal it before painting it because it will absorb paint. But it's so much cheaper than the stuff from the craft store, and those big-rear end sheets are awesome.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Thanks again for all the suggestions. This is my first costume project for a Con. This may not turn out the prettiest, but I expect that I'll keep working to improve this one costume for other Cons. On the upside, my helmet should loot fairly nice. I'll post some pics later once I get some finer sandpaper and have it more or less done.

By the way, it's not a straight Megaman costume. I'm trying to make it in the style of The Protomen. I'll be wearing a blue flightsuit instead of the blue diaper-onesie that Mega is normally seen in.

Cinnamon Bastard
Dec 15, 2006

Fabric paint question.

I need to paint a stretch fabric (4 way stretch 66% Nylon/19% Polyester/ 15% Elastane) but I need it to retain it's stretch.

Some ideas I've had is to use a fine stippling pattern with a "3D dimensional paint", so that the paint is actually made of tiny dots of fabric paint sitting on the surface of the fabric. That would allow the material to flex. The problem is that any method of stippling that covers a large area would be randomly distributed, and would look uneven and sloppy.

Are there any fabric paints that could do the job on a dark fabric, without bleeding into the fabric?

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Cinnamon Bastard posted:

Fabric paint question.

I need to paint a stretch fabric (4 way stretch 66% Nylon/19% Polyester/ 15% Elastane) but I need it to retain it's stretch.

Some ideas I've had is to use a fine stippling pattern with a "3D dimensional paint", so that the paint is actually made of tiny dots of fabric paint sitting on the surface of the fabric. That would allow the material to flex. The problem is that any method of stippling that covers a large area would be randomly distributed, and would look uneven and sloppy.

Are there any fabric paints that could do the job on a dark fabric, without bleeding into the fabric?

It seems that most fabric paint sold at craft stores is made for painting T-Shirts which stretch. The important thing to do would be to paint it with the fabric stretched out while you are painting it.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American

Funhilde posted:

Do you have any in-progress pictures? really interested in how it all came together. (disregard if you posted them and imgur going down confused me).
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3473045&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=9#post405006013
This is the only real set of in-progress shots I have.

I was just in charge of assembling the helmet and arms really, which is why I have photos for that. Most of that was just parts shopping, dremeling holes, and a poo poo ton of gold spray paint. The claws are just robot hand toys I got off Amazon and then shortened with the dremel, the arms and legs are all just vinyl air duct and odds and ends like rubber balls and plastic bowls to make them look finished.

The cushions and stomach covering were made by a friend who works at an upholstery shop, she just made honest to god cushions and then crafted the dome out of ribbing material like you'd use for a bodice or bigass skirt. She also found the vest thing that acts as the chest area at Marshalls, its some godawful ugly Calvin Klein old-lady-in-Vegas vest that originally would have cost $150 apparently. Her husband is the one who worked out the microcontroller circuit for the eye LEDs, at some point I'll get my hands on the source code for that, which has hilarious comments and a user agreement.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Got some light vinyl garden fencing, clear polyurethane coat, and foam. I'm ready to mache some paper.

Cinnamon Bastard
Dec 15, 2006

Funhilde posted:

It seems that most fabric paint sold at craft stores is made for painting T-Shirts which stretch. The important thing to do would be to paint it with the fabric stretched out while you are painting it.

I find a lot of those crack when they stretch, and if not then they don't stretch very much at all. Also, whatever I use needs to be able to relax, not just stretch, to cut down on wrinkling/folding when I move.

And yes, I'll be painting the shirt section on a duct tape mannequin of myself. However, I don't have one for my legs. So I hope I don't destroy my leggings. I'll have to get a small swatch of the material and run some experiments.

When I figure some stuff out I'll post results, to help everyone else.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Cinnamon Bastard posted:

I find a lot of those crack when they stretch, and if not then they don't stretch very much at all. Also, whatever I use needs to be able to relax, not just stretch, to cut down on wrinkling/folding when I move.

And yes, I'll be painting the shirt section on a duct tape mannequin of myself. However, I don't have one for my legs. So I hope I don't destroy my leggings. I'll have to get a small swatch of the material and run some experiments.

When I figure some stuff out I'll post results, to help everyone else.

Here is a paint I came across when searching for my favorite fabric dying and painting store:http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/1829-AA.shtml You may also just send the people there a question or two as they are SUPER eager to have people dye and paint fabric.

Cinnamon Bastard
Dec 15, 2006

Woah, not only does that paint look perfect, but that site is great. Gonna give them a call, see what they think.

This thread is great. You are all great.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Shoulder bells are a pain in the rear end.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

RazorBunny posted:

Shoulder bells are a pain in the rear end.

For what? And what are you having troubles with?

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Red Robin Hood posted:

For what? And what are you having troubles with?

For my plate armor. I'm just finding it a very difficult shape to coax the EVA foam into. I'll get it eventually, it's just not going as smoothly as some of the other pieces.

Edit: I managed to defeat them! The problem was that I had eventually decided to glue the foam directly to the forms I was using, but nothing wanted to adhere to the hard rubber of the form. My husband came to the rescue with his dremel and roughed up the rubber surface, and I was able to use hot glue on it.

RazorBunny fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jul 22, 2012

MajorGravy
Nov 3, 2010
Are they fully spherical shoulder bells? I'd recommend having a friend to stretch the foam over something nice and round, like a bowling ball, then have you heat gun it into shape.

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
Can anyone recommend an affordable, quality wig store? I'm in need of a long, dark brown/black wig for NYCC.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

Grape Juice Vampire posted:

Can anyone recommend an affordable, quality wig store? I'm in need of a long, dark brown/black wig for NYCC.

Throw either Vogue Wigs or Arda wigs into google, they've got the good stuff.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
I'm a pretty big fan of Arda, personally. :)
e. We also won a $1k sewing machine from them so that's pretty great but I buy all my wigs from them regardless.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

MajorGravy posted:

Are they fully spherical shoulder bells? I'd recommend having a friend to stretch the foam over something nice and round, like a bowling ball, then have you heat gun it into shape.

They're done now, so it's kind of moot.

The problem with heat shaping is that I bought 1/8" foam, which is so thin and flexible that it doesn't really hold the form you shape it into. In the future I think I'll go back to 1/4".

What I wound up doing actually was applying hot glue, then pressing/stretching the foam onto the glue and holding it until the glue set, then moving down a little ways and doing it again until I had the foam spread smooth and fully adhered to the rubber.

I wish I had taken some photos before I finished and trimmed them up. I tend to get rolling on a piece and forget that I had intended to do a guide for it :(

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Pagan posted:

For my birthday, my roommate got me a working Airsoft version of the M4A1 Pulse Rifle, the gun used in Aliens. Some Colonial Marines cosplay (or even a working version of their kit for airsoft games) would be awesome. The only tricky part is the armor. Not super complicated, but I've never built armor before. Most of the RPF and similar forums are using Pepakura files and fiberglass. The pepakura doesn't look too hard, but I've never, ever used fiberglass.

If you find any good tutorials/tips/etc please post them here! My husband and I are planning on going as Colonial Marines for next year's Comic Con. He's got some armor making experience but I've never done it before and am pretty intimidated.

RazorBunny posted:

Related, I'm thinking about selling off some of my spandex suits. My husband has a very nice classic black Spidey suit (comic style, not film) that he doesn't wear anymore (hard to do Spider-man poses when you have two bad knees), maybe I'll try to convince him to sell it instead of leaving it in a closet forever. If we do decide to sell off any of our suits, I'll definitely let this thread know - they're all great quality, and I'd love them to go to someone who would really appreciate them.

For the shoes you might want to look into surfing booties, they're reeeeally similar in shape to Spidey's though the length might be an issue.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

RazorBunny posted:

I wish I had taken some photos before I finished and trimmed them up. I tend to get rolling on a piece and forget that I had intended to do a guide for it :(

Story of my life. :gonk: I'm just too busy and I keep forgetting to take a lot of process shots. Our blog still sucks.

Also my fingers are like... perma-grey with Apoxiesculpt at this point, ugh. I spent roughly 15 hours this weekend between building my arm armor and breastplate blanks and sculpting the wolf for my helmet. I am so tired.

Chunderstorm
May 9, 2010

legs crossed like a buddhist
smokin' buddha
angry tuna
Been awhile since I've read/posted this thread. Everything is FANTASTIC, you guys are amazing. That Yoshimitsu mask is just the best thing. I'll be wearing the Happy Mask Salesman outfit to Otakon, and I've got a decent amount of fix-up to do, as well as reconstructing the backpack so it won't weigh 60-70 pounds. I'll be repainting a lot of stuff tonight, and I'll be sure to post pictures of anything interesting!

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Triangulum posted:

For the shoes you might want to look into surfing booties, they're reeeeally similar in shape to Spidey's though the length might be an issue.

I'm not the one looking for them...My husband has black neoprene boots for his Spidey, which is what I recommend upthread :) Among other things, they're sold for surfing.

McPantserton posted:

Story of my life. :gonk: I'm just too busy and I keep forgetting to take a lot of process shots. Our blog still sucks.

Also my fingers are like... perma-grey with Apoxiesculpt at this point, ugh. I spent roughly 15 hours this weekend between building my arm armor and breastplate blanks and sculpting the wolf for my helmet. I am so tired.

I can't tell you the number of times I've looked like I have some kind of skin disease due to being covered in various paints, glues, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Sorry, quoted the wrong person.

Pagan can you post a link to the colonial marines pep files? All the ones I've found on RPF are dead.