Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

modig
Aug 20, 2002
I log into steam from my desktop, my laptop and my phone. Also on occasion one of my brothers will login from a different computer. When I login from my phone or laptop, it does that steam code via email thing way more often than seems necessary. As in more than once. I don't actually login from them very often, but it feels like if I haven't used them for more than a few days I get the steamguard thing. Very annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Beat: Red Faction. Yes, the original. Found out that I had somehow ended up with it on Steam (probably as some sort of package deal with RF:G) and decided I was in the mood for some old-school FPSing.

Verdict: it's ok, but the geomod feature that was its main source of distinction is terribly underused, and without that it's just another FPS without much wrong with it, but without much to recommend it either.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
Crossposting from the steam summer sale thread:

For those of you who have bothered to use the site http://howlongtobeat.com I made a thing to let you choose a game out of your backlog at random.

In a modern browser you should just be able to make a new bookmark and for the URL, copy/paste the following:

JavaScript code:
javascript: if( !findgame) {if( document.URL.search(/show=(backlog|replays|completed|customtab|allgames|retired)/) >= 0 && 
document.URL.search(/howlongtobeat.com\/userpage.php/) >= 0){var gameslist = $('.userlisttable tbody.listspreadsheet')
.map(function(){return $(this).find('tr:first td:first a').html();});if( gameslist.size() > 1 ){var findgame = function() 
{  return 'Random game: '+gameslist[Math.floor(Math.random()*gameslist.size())] };}else{var findgame = function(){return "No games listed."}}}
else{ var findgame = function(){return "Sorry, you need to be viewing a game list for a user on [url]http://www.howlongtobeat.com/[/url]"}}}
alert(findgame());
(I added line breaks so it doesn't break tables, but you can condense it.)

Then put it on a bookmark bar type dealie and when you're looking at your backlog just click it and it will pop up with a random game title.

I personally really have been enjoying the site how long to beat. It gives me a good spot to catalog what I should try to play through, along with time estimations and so on. Anyway, maybe someone will find this useful.

EDIT: NEVERMIND I'm a moron who missed their big dumb "Play random" button until after all that farting around :suicide:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Welp, found my first regret of this sale. Mount and Blade: With Fire and Sword was definitely not what I expected, and feels really shoddy.

Oh well, it was two and a half bucks, it's not too bad.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Cleretic posted:

Welp, found my first regret of this sale. Mount and Blade: With Fire and Sword was definitely not what I expected, and feels really shoddy.

General opinion is that Warband is the best M&B game, if you got all of them.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, Fire & Sword was a step backwards for the series. Warband is really the only M&B game worth talking about.

Lamacq
Jun 15, 2001

Breezeblock RIP
Finished Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Originally tried it on my HTPC (my only machine capable of playing it at the time) but gave up 6 or so hours in because the controls with a 360 pad were really frustrating to me. Tried it again once I got a more powerful gaming PC and the KB+M controls were much more natural and the game clicked immediately, and I ended up really enjoying it. I did probably a 99.8% nonlethal playthrough, as I only killed the dudes at the very beginning during the lab assault (I didn't actually realize it was possible to progress without shooting them) and 2 of the human enemies during the battle against Hyron, I figured at that point hey I have all this ammo, let's kill some dudes.

All in all a worthy successor to the original and a good game in its own right, although the boss battles were indeed horrible and I don't feel one bit bad for using a trainer on the 3rd boss fight since I'd had my biochip replaced and thus didn't have any augs. That was a real FU from the game right there, so I said FU back with an infinite health trainer.
I still don't understand why everything was black and gold though. I thought that was supposed to be answered at some point??

Also I'm giving up on Lone Survivor. I wanted to like it but I guess I just don't like adventure games or Silent Hill games.

Anyway, up next is the Starcraft 2 campaign.

Lamacq fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jul 22, 2012

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe

Lamacq posted:

I still don't understand why everything was black and gold though. I thought that was supposed to be answered at some point??

It was tinted gold because you're seeing the world through those glasses that Adam has on his face.

Note how the one time in the game you're not seeing everything in a gold tint is when Adam meets his girlfriend after finally finding her and retracts his shades

PSI-5
Aug 21, 2007

The servolator is fried.
Yay! Just beat Serious Sam 3:BFE this morning.

Overall, I enjoyed it but it was a bit of a rollercoaster of emotions:

Start: Hey! This looks great! Melee attacks!
Later: Hmm ... where are all the open spaces I loved in Serious Sam?
Later: Ah! Here they are! AWESOME!!!!
Later: Hrmm ... getting a little tedious fighting the same million swarms of monsters now.
Last level: This is AWESOME!!!!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Lamacq posted:

All in all a worthy successor to the original and a good game in its own right, although the boss battles were indeed horrible and I don't feel one bit bad for using a trainer on the 3rd boss fight since I'd had my biochip replaced and thus didn't have any augs. That was a real FU from the game right there, so I said FU back with an infinite health trainer.

It still surprises me that people fell for that. I don't think I could come up with a more obvious trap if I tried.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Cleretic posted:

It still surprises me that people fell for that. I don't think I could come up with a more obvious trap if I tried.
It's like idiot-proofing. You make something idiot-proof, nature will make a better idiot.

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

Cleretic posted:

But what if not getting the upgrade chip meant worse problems later on.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease
Beat: Torchlight - Defeated the big boss with my level 35 Destroyer, after about 9 1/2 hours of game-time. I've unlocked the infinite random dungeons now, but I think I'll move on to other games.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
So far, verdict on my purchases for the Steam sale.

Assassin's Creed 2: It doesn't do anything better than any other games of its kind, and I'm gonna say I preferred how the Arkham games and Prototype handled over it. But the whole package is solid enough to sit down and go 'yes, I can enjoy this and will finish it'.

Binding of Isaac: Wrath of Lamb: It's good to have my podcast-listening buddy back. I still hate how the achievements are so consistently broken and I have to repair the files every single time I know I got one, but Wrath of Lamb puts a lot of life back into the game and I think Samson became my favorite character to play as.

Frozen Synapse: I can tell this game is absolutely amazing, and it is exactly what I was expecting, but it's not gonna be easy to get into. It's hard even without taking into account the fact that my guys don't seem to respond to some of the orders I give. Maybe I'm giving the wrong ones, but it certainly feels like there's one guy every mission that's just moving slower than everyone else, and the fact they never seem to actually ignore the guys I tell them to ignore, and they disobey Continue On Sight, is just aggravating.

Just Cause 2: This game has done the strangest thing. I'm not normally a gently caress-around kinda guy, in AC2, Prototype, Saint's Row 2, I was always very much going from mission to mission, without really wasting time. But I've barely made any progress in JC2 because I keep trying to attach explosive canisters to passing cars! The only disappointment so far is that the grappling hook is either disappointingly weak, or explosive canisters are surprisingly heavy, because not once has this worked.

Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword: The first and so far only actual disappointment of the sale. I expected something a bit Elder Scrolls-y, maybe with some more focus on like, sieges and stuff. Maybe it is that? I dunno, because it doesn't feel enjoyable, it feels really half-assed, like no effort was put into it. The first real warning sign was when I loaded into the game after character generation and noticed the same music I was already tired of was still playing, andoutside of the small farm I was at everything was literally just a big empty expanse with nothing in it, not even like, hills or something as a background.

Civ V (with Gods & Kings): gently caress yeah. I knew I'd like these games, it was just a matter of buying one that was good. And wow, is it good.

Torchlight: I was a bit apprehensive, but it's starting to work out, to the point where I'm happy to see it through to the end. Still not sure I should've gone in with a pet-focused Alchemist, because every battle turns into a clusterfuck even without them making things even more complicated, but even that's looking up.

Also got Hitman Blood Money and Vampire: Bloodlines, but I haven't played those yet. Vampire is for tonight though. Also adding E.Y.E. to the to-finish games, I think I might do better now that I know I can turn the respawning enemies off as long as I stop trying to figure out what the gently caress I'm meant to do. Almost certain my problems there were due to trying to focus on, and understand, the psychic powers.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
I've burned through all my store credit and birthday credits. For me, the sale is over. Time to assess the damage.
  • Rounded out my Crusader Kings II and Fallout: New Vegas DLC collections. No backlog effect, as CK2 is intrinsically un-BACKLOG and I only add DLC entries to the backlog once they become available for play in a meaningful fashion.
  • Half-Life 1 Anthology, since I've never played any games from Half-Life. Half-Life and Opposing Force are backlogged. Blue Shift is not, however, since I literally only own it because it was cheaper to buy a pack with it in it than to buy HL and Op4 separately.
  • Ys: Oath in Felghana, on recommendation.
  • Ys: Origin, also on recommendation
  • 1000 Amps, on a whim.
  • Sonic IV Episodes I and II, mainly out of a perverse curiosity to see if they're worse than Sonic Rush, or if this was where they figured out how to do 2D sonic designs acceptably and Generations went from that. (This is a very specific thing about level design and not actual play in general; I don't expect much here.)
  • Quantum Conundrum, from my actual wishlist.
  • Botanicula, on recommendation. I've been playing some of this already and I'm enjoying it a great deal more than I did Machinarium.
  • E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy, on "recommendation", by which I mean "I hear it's a hilarious trainwreck".
  • Splice, Oil Rush, and Universe Sandbox, which aren't backlogged since I didn't want them. They, like Blue Shift, are dross that I own solely to take advantage of discounts. I hear Splice is cute though and if I start playing it it will re-enter the backlog.
That is some hefty backsliding, I must admit. I'm back to roughly "backlog neutral" from the start of my Backloggery, when I had been well ahead.

This is also using a new mechanic for backlog management since it's starting to become relevant; I am dividing acquisitions into games I got on purpose (which are backlogged), games I am given (which enter the backlog once I start dedicating some time to them), and games I own for other reasons, usually due to being parts of bundles where I want enough of the bundle to buy it but don't care much about it specifically. These I am no longer considering backlog games and they will be deprioritized. If I start getting heavily into such a game, it will enter the backlog at that time, much as gift games are. But really, most of those games are like Gish and Hammerfight, and they can just go away.

I'm not going to delete these from the pre-existing backlog - yet - though I might do so if nothing is left but them.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

ManxomeBromide posted:

[*]Half-Life 1 Anthology, since I've never played any games from Half-Life. Half-Life and Opposing Force are backlogged. Blue Shift is not, however, since I literally only own it because it was cheaper to buy a pack with it in it than to buy HL and Op4 separately.

Blue Shift is just as good as HL/OF, and if you enjoy those two then Blue Shift will be well worth your time. Don't write it off that easily.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Blueshift is my favorite Half Life and IMHO is significantly better then Opposing Force.

I got through the Steam Sale without contributing to my backlog really. I bought and "beat" Payday which is pretty fun, but the few maps you get become seriously stale, very quick. I don't think I'll get anything else now unless Crusader Kings II is the next community choice.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
VtM: Bloodlines better be worth just beating the game engine into submission, because god damnit I think by this point I've put more time into trying to get it to work like it's meant to than I've spent actually playing a couple of my games.

modig
Aug 20, 2002
My sale purchases
Warlock is like civ 5 but you are a mage with spells that you unlock instead of tech. Enjoying it so far, but it crashes all the time. The crashes might be related to my computer regularly freezing for 20 seconds at a time.

Demigod 4 Pack Hoping to talk some friends into trying it with me.

Payday the Heist A friend bought a 4 pack so we will give it a shot.

Vessel Puzzle/platformer. Doesn't stand out.

QUBE Like portal but lamer. I'll probably finish it eventually.

Avadon I don't have the patience for this sort of RPG anymore. Apparently I was more patient at 13 than I am more than 15 years later.

Zombie Driver Meh. Maybe if you like driving games.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Progress? What progress? Sale brought me some new games via gifts from amazing people, so now I have Max Payne 3, Rayman Origin, and Wallace & Gromit to play.

On the other hand, I finally finished Alice Madness Returns. It's a love and hate relationship we had since I cannot play it too frequently, and thus I've been playing it on and off since late last year. Yet, it's one of my favorite games on the PC.

I only found 97% of its secrets, too. Maybe one day in the distant future I'll try finding them all with a guide on hand.

yugge
Aug 27, 2008
So I finally committed to beat one game a week. Been doing this for 2 weeks now. I thought I would try to get up to speed before posting about it here, so I know that I would follow through.

Here is my tag:

OP: Feel free to add me to the list when you get the chance.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

ToxicFrog posted:

Beat: Red Faction. Yes, the original. Found out that I had somehow ended up with it on Steam (probably as some sort of package deal with RF:G) and decided I was in the mood for some old-school FPSing.

Verdict: it's ok, but the geomod feature that was its main source of distinction is terribly underused, and without that it's just another FPS without much wrong with it, but without much to recommend it either.

Yeah but it was still impressive and a super solid shooter at the time. Also an early PS2 game which was pretty impressive. But I feel like the last third of the game is kind of bad and annoying, especially when all of the enemies get those guns that can shoot through walls. NOT SO FUN WHEN THE TABLES ARE TURNED.

Amplicon
Apr 27, 2011

Captain Obvious
My backlog grew this Summer Steam sale with:

Arma II: Combined Operations
Far Cry Complete
L.A. Noire Complete Edition
Limbo
The Binding Of Isaac
Batman 1 and 2 and Gotham City Impostors Bundle
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Conviction
Amnesia: The Dark Descent

Beaten: Limbo.
Nice platformer game. I liked the dark surroundings very much.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I should probably start doing this. Approaching 200 games by now.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Portal 2 single player is beaten. Going to do the co-op with my brother hopefully next weekend. I enjoyed the game, but drat, some of the later puzzles had my brain working. Much more challenging than the first one.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

I managed to complete EDGE today. I beat all levels (normal, extended, bonus) with all prisms collected, and hunted down all achievements that didn't require speed-running or ridiculous amounts of edge time. I thought it was a really good game, and the difficulty curved nicely. The final levels had me frustrated with the precision timing and amount of edge time I had to pull off, but it was very satisfying when completed.

Next on my list is to check out the bonus challenges in The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom. I like the idea of playing one PC game and one console game at the same time. I'll see how long that lasts.

Typhoon Jim
Sep 20, 2004

space moo

Cleretic posted:

Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword: The first and so far only actual disappointment of the sale. I expected something a bit Elder Scrolls-y, maybe with some more focus on like, sieges and stuff. Maybe it is that? I dunno, because it doesn't feel enjoyable, it feels really half-assed, like no effort was put into it. The first real warning sign was when I loaded into the game after character generation and noticed the same music I was already tired of was still playing, andoutside of the small farm I was at everything was literally just a big empty expanse with nothing in it, not even like, hills or something as a background.

M&B is a game in which you are encouraged to develop skill in the combat system, which is Goddamn Good. The game feels like a throwback because it is kind of a throwback, made by effectively three dudes. It is very indie and not remotely polished.

Gilgamesh
Nov 26, 2001

I've had a good couple of days. I beat Soulcaster and Soulcaster 2 (took 2-3 hours each), and finally got that last achievement for the Complete in The Wonderful End of the World.

Both the Soulcasters were fantastically fun. MagicalTimeBeing is 3/3 on awesome games (the third being Escape Goat).

I don't know why people are so down on TWEOTW, I thought it was really fun, despite being a little less polished than Katamari.

Next up I'll be continuing my quest to beat Torchlight (currently on 26th floor out of 35 on Hard), and get through Episodes 4 & 5 of Back to the Future: The Video Game

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Beaten: Saints Row The Third.

Overall, it's fun, but kind of disappointing after SR2. It runs smoothly and looks great, both welcome changes from SR2, but the majority of the missions are either cutscenes, rail shooters, or activity tutorials, which is a pretty big disappointment after how varied and interesting most of them were in SR2. There also seems to be a lot less variation in the city itself; it feels very homogenous. You've seen one district, you've seen them all.

There's also very little sense of progression. You start out almost as an unstoppable force of destruction even without DLC weapons and vehicles, which is fine as far as it goes but you never really progress from there. It feels like what I wanted was Saints Row 2 again except in a decent engine, and what I got was the SR2 endgame stretched out over an entire game.

The writing has also taken a step backwards after SR2.

Overall, I enjoyed it and don't regret playing it, but it didn't impress me nearly as much as SR2 did and, unlike SR2, I don't see myself replaying it at any point.

Come on, Volition, just port SR2 to the SR3 engine.

Sqeetschy
Mar 28, 2010
So after the recent sale, I feel I should participate in this thread. Of my paltry 77 games I have only started up 32 because i always get stuck playing the same open ended games all the time.

Beaten: Dear Esther
Not my taste whatsoever, boring as gently caress.
Definitely no recommendation. It was a good start for this thread though because it was unbelievably short.

Coming up: Bastion and then maybe Psychonauts

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Sqeetschy posted:

Definitely no recommendation. It was a good start for this thread though because it was unbelievably short.
I feel like calling Dear Esther a video games is a misnomer.

It's more like... interactive art.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sqeetschy posted:

So after the recent sale, I feel I should participate in this thread. Of my paltry 77 games I have only started up 32 because i always get stuck playing the same open ended games all the time.

Coming up: Bastion and then maybe Psychonauts
Maybe Psychonauts? Definitely play Psychonauts. It's one of the best platformers ever.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Or Bastion since it's short and sweet. Plus the narration and soundtrack needs to be heard.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Colon V posted:

I feel like calling Dear Esther a video games is a misnomer.

It's more like... interactive art.

Speaking of which, Botanicula is super cute. I've played through a couple levels of it and now I'm kind of keeping it on ice for when I want to play games but don't want to actually have to think or react or anything.

Counterbalancing that has been 1000 Amps, which is also super cute and which seems to be to puzzle platformers what VVVVVV was to challenge platforming. Some basic mechanics (move, jump, and two upgrades so far), a really basic goal (fumble through a dark room and turn the lights on), and loads of variations on what you can do with those. I'm really impressed.

I also blew through Sonic IV Episode I, which is so bad I literally laughed out loud. They must have had everybody who'd ever played a Sonic game, ever, working on Generations or something because this felt like one of those flash-game knockoffs written by someone who had only ever seen screenshots of any Sonic game ever.

I'm almost tempted to just null out Ep 2 in advance but it's so short if I get in the mood to be contemptuous toward a game I can just burn through it then. In the meantime, 1000 Amps is an excellent change of pace from the bloody march through open-world history I'd been doing for the past month.

ETA: In the choice between Bastion or Psychonauts you really can't go wrong, though Bastion is probably better to play first since it's over sooner.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Botanicula is only a few hours and certainly worth a playthrough, as long as you click on everything.

Sonic 4 Ep 1 does kind of look bland in its design. I thought they have revised that for Ep 2, give it a try anyway, it has Tails.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

I did well during the sale. I only got three new games; Bad Rats, Rock of Ages and Trine II. Two of them were gifts.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Are you willing to become the Bad Rats King?

If so, prepare to enjoy a physics engine that results in the ball falling out of the level.

If not, download the game from Steam, back it up on a CD, go out to the woods, dig a hole, bury the CD, pour concrete over the ground and never speak of Bad Rats to anyone ever again.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

ManxomeBromide posted:

I'm almost tempted to just null out Ep 2 in advance

Don't. Ep 1 was made by a bunch of retarded chimps. Ep 2 at least had some talent put into it.

I'm starting Max Payne 3 and the first episode of Wallace & Gromit. The former seems fairly short from its listing in howlongtobeat.com (11h at most? really?), which is amusing as, less than one hour in, I have seen more narration than gameplay. I hope that doesn't become a problem later on, even though I don't really mind Max's monologues.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Saoshyant posted:

On the other hand, I finally finished Alice Madness Returns. It's a love and hate relationship we had since I cannot play it too frequently, and thus I've been playing it on and off since late last year. Yet, it's one of my favorite games on the PC.

I just started this up tonight, after buying it for a fiver during the Steam sale. I'm in the second chapter and really enjoying it so far! It's been forever since I've played a 3D platformer, and while the Dark Totally Twizted Fairytale aesthetic may not be the most original or my favorite one the game is still delightful to look at compared to most of the dull, artless stuff out there. Twirling and gliding right off the bat is fun and I appreciate that they seem to be sticking to a small selection of weapons with distinct uses and strengths/weaknesses instead of a bunch of redundant ones. I feel like there's a lot of good design going on here.

Also it's cool to play dress-up with cool dresses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Oh, it is a gorgeous game (I have no other with as many screenshots collected), the platforming is solid, and the battle system is fun after you figure out how it works. Only four weapons exist, which can be upgraded or switched for alternate versions, and each is completely unique for every situation. The story is good, too, though it suffers from some weird verbose English which probably betrays its origin as mostly a Chinese production.

Its biggest problem, however, is repetition. Both platforming and combat will get stale pretty quickly, and though it only has few stages, they go on and on. Which is why I only played it in small sessions every once in a while, so that everything would always feel reasonably fresh.