Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jax Ernst
May 30, 2012

Awkward Davies posted:

Hm yeah that Tamron looks pretty great. Thanks!

The Tamron is very nice, especially price-wise. It's not built as robust as the Canon versions, but it is by no means cheaply built. The zoom and focus rings are quite smooth.

Also, at least north of the 49th, finding a new Mk I 24-70 Canon is very difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
The 24-70/2.8L is one of those lenses that even if (though?) third party equivalents perform better on test charts, have more features (like VC/IS), and are way cheaper, I'm still irrationally tempted to buy the Canon.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

rawrr posted:

The 24-70/2.8L is one of those lenses that even if (though?) third party equivalents perform better on test charts, have more features (like VC/IS), and are way cheaper, I'm still irrationally tempted to buy the Canon.

It's that red ring man, I just want that red ring.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

You know, something I found that's really funny is that the last four or five years I spent all my time and money trying to build the most "pro" feeling kit I could -- big bulky bodies, add-on grips, fast lenses, etc. And now that I have some of that stuff, I find that the only thing I want is a small rangefinder style camera that I can stick in my pocket.

No doubt the big stuff is amazing gear, but when you have zero desire to carry it around you tend to not shoot as much as you'd like.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Yeah in all honesty what I really need is something like an S90 that shoots in RAW and can get me a decent ISO1600 image while maintaining the size.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

1st AD posted:

Yeah in all honesty what I really need is something like an S90 that shoots in RAW and can get me a decent ISO1600 image while maintaining the size.

CHDK is available in beta for the S90, that'll get you RAW which will open up some noise reduction in Lightroom/Aperture. Otherwise, Fuji X10/X100.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Martytoof posted:

No doubt the big stuff is amazing gear, but when you have zero desire to carry it around you tend to not shoot as much as you'd like.

Yes, the best gear is the stuff you can take with you. So far I love my GS645, despite the pain it's been, because it packs a huge negative into something small and relatively cheap. The Rollei 35S is as tiny as it's possible for a 35mm camera to really be, and the lenses are as good as it gets. The Olympus XA is tiny yet packs full aperture-priority rangefinder shooting in.

I flew out to Santa Barbara last week and took a drive in the mountains. I was keeping things light, so I took the GS645 and my Olympus XA. That was more than enough for snapping some landscapes.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Martytoof posted:

You know, something I found that's really funny is that the last four or five years I spent all my time and money trying to build the most "pro" feeling kit I could -- big bulky bodies, add-on grips, fast lenses, etc. And now that I have some of that stuff, I find that the only thing I want is a small rangefinder style camera that I can stick in my pocket.

Oh for sure. I don't bring my 5D everywhere, in fact I tend to not bring it out unless I'm getting paid or it's a big enough event with friends.

Paul MaudDib posted:

I flew out to Santa Barbara last week and took a drive in the mountains. I was keeping things light, so I took the GS645 and my Olympus XA. That was more than enough for snapping some landscapes.

The XA2 is amazing. Fits in the palm of your hand, plastic, cheap (or they used to be). I also have an XA that I don't use as much as my XA2. My XA2 is my go to "carry everywhere" camera. In fact, all of my 35mms are my go to "carry everywhere" cameras.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Paul MaudDib posted:

CHDK is available in beta for the S90, that'll get you RAW which will open up some noise reduction in Lightroom/Aperture. Otherwise, Fuji X10/X100.

I believe the s90 can shoot in raw.

But yeah, the x100 is one of the sexiest cameras out there.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
This is why I try to only buy primes, I'd say my DA 21mm is the best lens I've purchased since I can use it for almost everything and it's tiny.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Paragon8 posted:

I believe the s90 can shoot in raw.

But yeah, the x100 is one of the sexiest cameras out there.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is there any real reason to use RAW+L?

I can't imagine a scenario where I'd use that.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Martytoof posted:

I could understand it in some sports shooting. Get shots that need to go to print quickly in JPG, and others in RAW that you can clean up for later use.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks!

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Martytoof posted:

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks!

You also see this on X100 centric forums where the in-camera processed large JPG is either considered "good enough" to use directly and to save time or is used as a baseline for processing the RAW. The Fuji JPG algorithm is admittedly quite good and there are all manner of "shadow tone hardness" and all manner of settings to play with but ultimately writing an uncompressed 19 meg RAW + a JPG is a lot to ask of the camera so it isn't something I do a lot of.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Martytoof posted:

With my Canon I use it travelling because jpegs are much easier to look though on a netbook.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
If you're looking for a small compact with good IQ, the Sony RX-100 is probably one of the best bets right now. It shoots RAW, has a sensor three times the size of the Canon S series, and a brighter lens overall too. Yes, it costs more, but the premium looks to be worth it.

I had the same problem as Marty, and that's how I chose to solve it.

Lando2
Jan 16, 2010

Turns out just hunks
I need some advice on a dslr bundle. The Sony a57 comes with 3 options at $850.

Option 1: 18-135mm
Option 2: 18-55mm + 55-200mm
Option 3: 18-55mm + 75-300mm

I am buying this camera as an all-purpose so I am leaning toward the 18-135 with the likely purchase of a prime sometime soon. I'm taking a trip to Montreal for the Just for Laughs festival so I'm hoping to get some good shots as well as video.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
The 18-135 is a new lens. Not sure what the performance is on it. The 18-55 and the other lenses are what they are. The 18-135 is certainly better built; has metal mount, silent motor, etc.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
I looked around for the newbie thread mentioned in the OP but came up short.

I'm starting with a private investigations firm this coming week. The bulk of my work will be surveillance. It will be in a wide range of lighting and distance, leaning slightly towards distant low-light shots. I'm guessing around 150 yards or so, likely further at times. Time-stamp and video functionality is a must, but I'm assuming that's pretty standard.

After a cursory search, a Nikon D3100 seems to fit the bill fairly well for the camera side of things. However, various websites are telling me I need at least a 2000 mm focal length lens for shots up to 200 yards. That seems extreme, as my crappy Kodak p&s seems as if it is really close to hitting the clarity I need at around 200 yards in low light. I'm also going to need to steady this thing from the driver's seat of a car. Realistically, what can I get that would meet my needs? The budget is fairly limited right now, but I would be comfortable with around $400-$500. The cheaper the better. If there is a p&s that can do it, I would be more than happy to get that.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

dissss posted:

With my Canon I use it travelling because jpegs are much easier to look though on a netbook.

If you are just going to look through them why not shoot RAW+S and save some space?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Clayton Bigsby posted:

If you are just going to look through them why not shoot RAW+S and save some space?

I don't think all bodies can shoot RAW+S: my S90 and 400D only have RAW+L, my 40D has RAW+all

It also has the SRAW option, but I am in 2 minds about that: it seems a bit silly to accept the inconvenience of RAW but not get as much info as possible out of it.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

astrollinthepork posted:

I'm starting with a private investigations firm this coming week. The bulk of my work will be surveillance. It will be in a wide range of lighting and distance, leaning slightly towards distant low-light shots. I'm guessing around 150 yards or so, likely further at times. Time-stamp and video functionality is a must, but I'm assuming that's pretty standard.

After a cursory search, a Nikon D3100 seems to fit the bill fairly well for the camera side of things. However, various websites are telling me I need at least a 2000 mm focal length lens for shots up to 200 yards. That seems extreme, as my crappy Kodak p&s seems as if it is really close to hitting the clarity I need at around 200 yards in low light. I'm also going to need to steady this thing from the driver's seat of a car. Realistically, what can I get that would meet my needs? The budget is fairly limited right now, but I would be comfortable with around $400-$500. The cheaper the better. If there is a p&s that can do it, I would be more than happy to get that.

Getting an actual 2000 mm will be insanely heavy and really expensive, unless you get one of the extremely cheap mirror optics in which case you'll have a very hard time focusing and get quite bad image quality.

I would suggest getting a camera with a higher resolution so you will at least be have a chance to capture more detail with a shorter lens. Nikon D3200 has quite a bit more resolution than the D3100, so go for that instead, if you're getting Nikon's low end.

For optics, at your budget you're realistically capped at around 300 mm on a cheap zoom. You can perhaps get something like Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6.
The kind of optics you are asking for would be Nikon's own 400 mm f/2.8 and a 2x teleconverter on it. I suggest you just look up the price for Nikkor AF-S VR 400 f/2.8G IF-ED yourself.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jul 22, 2012

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I don't think there's even a first party 2k mm lens from any manufacturer. Get a 70-300 and see how that goes on your entry level slr of choice.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Going for really high magnification might be a good reason to go micro four thirds or even regular four thirds. The smaller chips make high magnification lenses way cheaper. On my g2 I have 400mm equivalent from a teeny tiny 45-200 that's $250 or so new.

This is also an area where small chip video cameras can be crazy good depending on which bit of functionality is most important. My xf300 goes to an equivalent of 527mm at f2.8 yet weighs and costs less than Nikon's 500mm f4. They're both way out of your price range, but you might find something good enough.

Do you know the model of your p&s? We could recommend something with similar zoom range if we knew.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

nielsm posted:

unless you get one of the extremely cheap mirror optics in which case you'll have a very hard time focusing and get quite bad image quality.

Are mirror optics really that bad? I wanted to get a long lens and ended up with a 800mm/f8 for like 100 dollars including a polarizing filter because I was the only bidder on this auction. I figured if it sucked it wasn't too bad a price, even if it ends up being a novelty. I haven't really dropped serious money on lenses yet cause I'm still beginning. I mean are they that bad that dipping your foot in it is still a waste?

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

astrollinthepork posted:

http://www.sigma-imaging-uk.com/lenses/telezoom/50-500mm.htm something like that with a body with good ISO performance should be good for PI work.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I would probably suggest something maybe like the Olympus E-5. It's high ISO work isn't anything to brag about but it certainly won't ruin any photos unless you're shooting an unlit subject in the dead of night or something.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

powderific posted:

This is also an area where small chip video cameras can be crazy good depending on which bit of functionality is most important. My xf300 goes to an equivalent of 527mm at f2.8 yet weighs and costs less than Nikon's 500mm f4. They're both way out of your price range, but you might find something good enough.

Comedy option Nikon V1 with a 500mm f/4.

I find a dimensional field of view calculator useful when talking about focal lengths, for example on a typical consumer DSLR, a 2000mm lens will show about 1.5 meters of a subject 200 meters away.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Martytoof posted:

I would probably suggest something maybe like the Olympus E-5. It's high ISO work isn't anything to brag about but it certainly won't ruin any photos unless you're shooting an unlit subject in the dead of night or something.

I want to savor the gently caress out of this post. :frogbon:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

DJExile posted:

Yeah it doesn't make any sense but I knew it'd make you happy 8-)

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

spog posted:

I don't think all bodies can shoot RAW+S: my S90 and 400D only have RAW+L, my 40D has RAW+all

It also has the SRAW option, but I am in 2 minds about that: it seems a bit silly to accept the inconvenience of RAW but not get as much info as possible out of it.

Ah, did not know there were bodies without RAW+S. Learn something new every day.

As for sRAW, yeah, not sure. If the files were much smaller I could see the purpose, but I gather that the mid-size sRAW file is not much smaller than the real thing.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Ah, did not know there were bodies without RAW+S. Learn something new every day.

As for sRAW, yeah, not sure. If the files were much smaller I could see the purpose, but I gather that the mid-size sRAW file is not much smaller than the real thing.

And until you mentioned it, I did not know that there were any bodies that did, so the learning is mutual.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

DJExile posted:

Well, I mean if you need a sensor that does 2x multiplication off the bat …. :q:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah my 30D does RAW+all.

I used to use RAW+L when I first got it, for about 2 weeks while I got used to processing RAW photos, just so I had a backup if I really screwed anything up.

I never used the jpgs in the end, but I liked having them there for my own peace of mind while I got used to it.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Beastruction posted:

Comedy option Nikon V1 with a 500mm f/4.

Pentax Q (5x crop factor) and a 500 or 400mm.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

signalnoise posted:

Are mirror optics really that bad? I wanted to get a long lens and ended up with a 800mm/f8 for like 100 dollars including a polarizing filter because I was the only bidder on this auction. I figured if it sucked it wasn't too bad a price, even if it ends up being a novelty. I haven't really dropped serious money on lenses yet cause I'm still beginning. I mean are they that bad that dipping your foot in it is still a waste?

Inherently, mirror lenses have slightly lower contrast and resolution due to the central obstruction in the front, but that's a pretty small effect. The real problem is that most people don't like them, so no one makes quality ones anymore. If you can find an old used one, most of them are better than the cheap new ones you can find.

The last-version Nikon one my dad owns is very sharp, but it is difficult to focus well, and split prism finders tend to black out at such small apertures.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

They have the most unpleasant bokeys to boot, so generally I don't enjoy photos they produce if they have any significant out of focus areas.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Has the bottom really fallen out of the 5Dmk1 market? I've seen at least two for under $600 recently on craigslist. That seems like an insane price for a full frame sensor camera, even if it is a few years old at this point.

Though I guess now that Mk3 is out the price was bound to compress down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Has the bottom really fallen out of the 5Dmk1 market? I've seen at least two for under $600 recently on craigslist. That seems like an insane price for a full frame sensor camera, even if it is a few years old at this point.

Though I guess now that Mk3 is out the price was bound to compress down.

It's hard to see it dropping much further than that-- but I said the same thing about 1d mark 2s. Those dropped a bit more after Canon decided that they wouldn't service those any longer. If the 5D can still be sent to Canon for service (other than the mirror issue?) then it still has some room to drop.