Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Doh004 posted:

Any suggestions for trying to recover data from an external harddrive that isn't recognized by Windows anymore (for free)? We have a WD Passport, and whenever we connect it windows sees it and installs whatever's necessary; however, it never shows up as a drive. When going to disk management in the computer manager, the drive is listed but when trying to do anything with it we get an error saying it failed to initialize.

WD support suggests trying to get the files off it with some app.

Do you have any linux experience? Testdisk and photorec might work here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

underlig
Sep 13, 2007
Like the last two people said, i've successfully used ddrescue http://www.gnu.org/software/ddrescue/ddrescue.html to get data back.
There's atleast two kinds of "lost everything", physical problem (bad sectors, bad circuits) which means anything you do is a risk to destroy the disk even more, or logical (lost file allocation table / mbr / whatever) where you can actually do get most data back. In the latter i'd atleast try to run ddrescue on it.

I never documented what options i ran with so i can't help you more than that.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

ddrescue is wonderful.

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?
Is there a "go-to" card to just get a ton of SATA ports for a Windows system cheaply?

With Server 2012 going RTM early next month, I'm thinking about migrating my two w2k8r2 software RAIDs over to use Storage Spaces instead.

I've got 2 5 bay ICY Docks in the case right now with room for a 3rd and would like to all the drives on the same controller card if possible. So I'm looking for either 10 or 15 total ports as a minimum. I also want SMART capability in Windows (my current card doesn't seem to support it)

Cheap but not crappy is what I'm looking for here... :)

edit: Forgot to say I want PCI Express.

Fancy_Lad fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jul 16, 2012

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
IBM m1015 with appropriate breakout cables.

thideras
Oct 27, 2010

Fuck you, I'm a tree.
Fun Shoe

evol262 posted:

IBM m1015 with appropriate breakout cables.
Does this pass through SMART data? I own one and could not get it to work with the stock firmware or the "IT" firmware.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
I don't have a problem in -IR mode, but I absolutely remember getting SMART data through in IT mode as well.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So how do I deal with this:
code:
        NAME                        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        storage                     DEGRADED     0     0     3
          raidz1-0                  DEGRADED     0     0     6
            spare-0                 DEGRADED     2     0     0
              12258132107862283225  FAULTED      0     0     0  was /dev/dsk/c7t0d0s0
              c8t4d0                ONLINE       2     0     0
            c7t1d0                  ONLINE       0     0     0
            c7t0d0                  ONLINE       0     0     0
            c7t3d0                  ONLINE       0     0     0
            replacing-4             DEGRADED     0     0     0
              15932303903792963632  FAULTED      0     0     0  was /dev/dsk/c8t3d0s0
              c7t2d0                OFFLINE      0     0     0
              c8t3d0                ONLINE       0     0     0
          raidz1-1                  ONLINE       0     0     0
            c7t7d0                  ONLINE       0     0     0
            c7t4d0                  ONLINE       0     0     0
            c7t5d0                  ONLINE       0     0     0
            c7t6d0                  ONLINE       0     0     0
            c8t5d0                  ONLINE       0     0     0
        spares
          c8t4d0                    INUSE     currently in use
c8t3d0 is the new disk in its final position. c7t2d0 is getting RMAed next, and the old c8t3d0s0 is obviously never coming back. So how do I get them out of there and that "replacing-4" subheading?

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Thanks for the suggestion!

Sorry if I'm slow here, but I've been out of the controller hardware game for a loooong time.

I did a little bit of searching over my lunch break and it looks like since the card just has 2 SAS ports, my options would be a couple SAS to 4 port SATA cables (8 drives total) or I would need an expander to get 10-15 connections out of it?

The manual doesn't have much info about the expanders, but lists an "LSISASx12 Expander". The only thing I've found for sale with that search term is this and it looks like that is just the chip, not an actual board. I did find some forum posts pointing to a HP SAS Expander and this Intel Expander as being compatible, but at ~2-3 times the cost of the m1015 for one of the expanders I think I would compromise on doing a single card and just do 2 m1015s instead.

Am I on the right track here?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Fancy_Lad posted:

Thanks for the suggestion!

Sorry if I'm slow here, but I've been out of the controller hardware game for a loooong time.

I did a little bit of searching over my lunch break and it looks like since the card just has 2 SAS ports, my options would be a couple SAS to 4 port SATA cables (8 drives total) or I would need an expander to get 10-15 connections out of it?

The manual doesn't have much info about the expanders, but lists an "LSISASx12 Expander". The only thing I've found for sale with that search term is this and it looks like that is just the chip, not an actual board. I did find some forum posts pointing to a HP SAS Expander and this Intel Expander as being compatible, but at ~2-3 times the cost of the m1015 for one of the expanders I think I would compromise on doing a single card and just do 2 m1015s instead.

Am I on the right track here?

That's pretty much it, yeah. The m1015 is popular because it's dirt-cheap on eBay from decommissioning, and it's normal to let ZFS/mdraid/whatever handle the actual drives anyway The equivalent LSI version is substantially more. The Intel/HP expanders are great if you want to pony up for a card with hardware RAID5 (the m1015 does not do it without some sort of fob that costs more than the card) and make a huge RAID5/6 across >8 drives, but if you're handling it on the OS level, just get multiple m1015s and deal with it in Windows/whatever.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I believe the m1015 also supports >2TB drives while most of the longstanding LSI based cheapo controllers just can't and there's no expectation of a firmware update.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Is the M1015 a PCIe 2.0 card, x8? My major complaint about my LSI1068E-based controllers is that they are 1.0 x8 cards, meaning they eat up more physical slots than they should on a modern mobo (i.e. I could get away with a single x16 2.0 slot worth of bandwidth for 3 of the fuckers instead of consuming 3 x16 slots).

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
On one hand, yes.

On the other hand, stop being a bitch. It's a NAS. Maybe you'll put one in a virtualization server. It shouldn't be hogging lanes from your sweet graphics card which isn't in the same chassis, and if you're in the realm of FC or IB, you shouldn't be worrying about eBayed HBAs. You can comfortably drive a Norco 4224 (and maybe 2, if you want to get expanders) on a bog-standard mobo with 2 16x slots.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Thanks for the advice on the linux live cd guys. I have to wait once MY GIRLFRIEND gets here next week to try it out. Any suggestions on a good light distro?

underlig
Sep 13, 2007

Doh004 posted:

[...]MY GIRLFRIEND[...]
As if those exist in real life.

Whenever i want to go "light" i use puppy, http://puppylinux.org There are probably lighter/faster/whatever, but puppy atleast comes with ddrescue so..

movax
Aug 30, 2008

evol262 posted:

On one hand, yes.

On the other hand, stop being a bitch. It's a NAS. Maybe you'll put one in a virtualization server. It shouldn't be hogging lanes from your sweet graphics card which isn't in the same chassis, and if you're in the realm of FC or IB, you shouldn't be worrying about eBayed HBAs. You can comfortably drive a Norco 4224 (and maybe 2, if you want to get expanders) on a bog-standard mobo with 2 16x slots.

No? I have 24 drives to connect, and each 1068E drives 8. That means 3 x16 slots (you don't really get many x8s on desktop boards), so I bought a X58 board. I would have used a 6-series board, but at most you get 2x8 slots, and I didn't really want to shell out for a Supermicro board (which would have been based on the 5500 anyways, if I recall correctly).

And my NAS graphics are provided by a bitchin' Matrox G200.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Sorry for jumping to conclusions, there. Yes, it's 2.0. You can happily put it in a x4 slot.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

evol262 posted:

Sorry for jumping to conclusions, there. Yes, it's 2.0. You can happily put it in a x4 slot.

Welp, bought $400 worth of those 2TB WD Green Drives last night. I realized that going from 4x 320GB would have give me 6x the space too! :cool:

Now I just need to figure out the easiest/best way to go about upgrading the system... decisions, decisions...

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003

evol262 posted:

...And now I remember why I had a single card in mind. The mobo for my file server is an old Gigabyte 780G board that has some crazy PCIe slots. One of the PCIe x16 slots actually only runs at x4 and shares bandwidth 2 other slots. Guess I have some research to do to see if 2 m1015s will even work on it or not...

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Fancy_Lad posted:

...And now I remember why I had a single card in mind. The mobo for my file server is an old Gigabyte 780G board that has some crazy PCIe slots. One of the PCIe x16 slots actually only runs at x4 and shares bandwidth 2 other slots. Guess I have some research to do to see if 2 m1015s will even work on it or not...

The perfect board in that case will be a board that can do a 2x8 split, so pretty much every board intended for some type of SLI or CrossFire. On Sandy Bridge, the x16 PEG port can be bifurcated into two x8 links, perfect for your usage.

Ivy Bridge has more options because it has a Gen 3 root complex, but since the majority of peripherals outside of GPUs are still PCIe 2.0, it's likely those mobos will also have the PEG link bifurcated to two x8 links.

PCIe 3.0 doubles bandwidth again, so technically, if you throw a PCIe switch into the mix, you could run a retarded number of drives off one system. Even with PCIe 2.0 and mechanical drives on SATAII, you could end up with at least 32 drives running off the x16 PEG link.

e: Your board will run one M1015 at full-speed (x8, 4Gb/s), and the other at half-speed (x4, 2Gb/s). With mechanical drives, you should be a-ok.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

underlig posted:

As if those exist in real life.

Whenever i want to go "light" i use puppy, http://puppylinux.org There are probably lighter/faster/whatever, but puppy atleast comes with ddrescue so..

Word up :respek:

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I'm looking to replace my HP Home Server with a NAS. I just want something that's easily compatible with both Mac and Windows platforms and will connect to an Airport Extreme with little fuss. Will also be connecting a Western Digital streamer to it to watch ripped movies on my network (DLNA streaming).

I've looked at the Synology line and they have great reviews on Amazon.

Any advice for something reliable and easy to use in the $200-400 range?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Synology is a good choice, but QNAP is also worth looking at. Every time I talk with people about NAS (not DIY solutions, mind you) it comes down to Synology or QNAP.

Speaking of Synology, does anyone remember the package repository that was linked in this thread at some point? Apparently I didn't bookmark it, and I can't find it again (tried searching with threadid: and various keywords, but with no luck).

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

D. Ebdrup posted:

Speaking of Synology, does anyone remember the package repository that was linked in this thread at some point? Apparently I didn't bookmark it, and I can't find it again (tried searching with threadid: and various keywords, but with no luck).
Are you referring to this one?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

frumpsnake posted:

Are you referring to this one?
Looks like it, thank you very much. I did find that one on a Google search, but I wasn't sure if it was that one.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Without consulting this thread, I went and made the decision to use a PogoPlug for my network storage.

In the past I have used a combination of a Segatte BlackArmor NAS, a cheap chinese usb network share device, and a PC sucking watts so I could watch stuff on my PS3.

I had read about the PogoPlug a couple years ago. I was looking for a tiny, lightweight, linux box. I read about it running samba, and doing all the funny things you expect of a network services machine. (like the old Qube devices..) Well, tonight I had a bit of a "you didn't research this enough" moment. Shockingly, the PogoPlug didn't do all the wonderful magical things that I expected of it.

So, while we're at it, here's what it looks like in service:

I have a 1.5tb disk on it now. With some others to join it shortly.

After plugging in the pogoplug, and going to the website. I had my new cloud device running. I tried to mount it with my laptop. (yeah, yeah, yeah, giggle.) And while I found a media server, I found no way to mount the drive.

So while poking around on the setup interface, I found that I had the choice to setup a superuser password for SSH access. Well.... That's an invitation I can't resist.

code:
bash-3.2# df
Filesystem           1k-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/mtdblock2           32768     14820     17948  45% /
none                    128004        12    127992   0% /tmp
/tmp/.cemnt/sda1     1465136032   9323528 1455812504   1% /tmp/.cemnt/mnt_sda1
/dev/mtdblock3           93184     11056     82128  12% /opt
It turns out that some other people were hacking these things. And I found someone with a very concise post about how to get the full utility out of a mini linux box. It starts here: http://aaronrandall.blogspot.com/2011/03/customising-your-pogoplug.html And the important post that follows that is: http://aaronrandall.blogspot.com/2011/10/installing-samba-on-pogoplug.html

Which means I now have a tiny little low power linux file server running in my computer room. Which, I suppose, isn't far from what I had with my BlackArmor NAS. Except I have root access to it.

Oh, and while I am at it. I should mention total cost. The Pogoplug was $36, and the drive was $85.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

D. Ebdrup posted:

Looks like it, thank you very much. I did find that one on a Google search, but I wasn't sure if it was that one.

Superzebulon is dead. That site maintainer has helped start a new repo called Syno Community. http://www.synocommunity.com/

Lilleput
Jul 22, 2006

Is there a proper FTP client for Synology? I have a seedbox that i download from using FTP. With the default Download client it's a pain.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
I just got in my new set of disks and am trying to decide the best way to go about upgrading from my smaller harddisks to the larger.

The easiest way is to simply swap the disks, one at a time over the course of a couple days until all the rebuilding is done. Viola! More space.

This is hampered a bit by my desire to upgrade the system in general. I would like to reinstall the OS and upgrade the version of ZFS I am using. Right now I'm running some really old version of OpenSolaris and I'm not terribly pleased with it. I would prefer to switch to FreeBSD I think - I've used it before and I find it a lot more comfortable to work in/keep up to date/etc.

To complicate things, the current drives are running some really old version of ZFS - I was asking earlier in this thread about backups and people mentioned deduplication... My version of ZFS must be <v21 because it doesn't support it :( I'm thinking now would be the best time to make a clean break.

I don't really want to lose a bunch of data through experimentation (I'm going to back up the critical personal stuff but there is a lot of other stuff that isn't really worth backing up, but I would also rather not lose) so I'm hoping to kind of bounce a few ideas off of you guys and see what you think.

My machines root file system exists on a harddisk separate from the storage disks which should simplify things. I should be able to export the zfs (pool? i get my zfs lingo confused), install freebsd, and then import the storage harddrives in the new OS. Would I be able to upgrade ZFS versions in place? if that is the case, I could upgrade the filesystem, swap disks, and be good to go I think. If not, could i run the old disks on an old version of ZFS and make a totally new storage set with the new disks and just copy stuff over? I'm not sure if the machine has enough SATA ports for that, but I may be able to get something figured out.

Am I missing some easy method or approach to this? I also need to replace the case because the USPS totally destroyed it (I really liked the Chenbro ES34069 before it got smashed up), and could potentially drop a few more dollars on an overall hardware upgrade. I'm hoping switching to FreeBSD will make it easier to make the server a bit more multipurpose so having a better proc/more ram may not be a totally bad thing. If that ends up being a 'good idea' I could easily just build the new box with the new harddrives and copy everything over across the network. Time consuming, but safest.

Delta-Wye fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jul 21, 2012

Stein Rockon
Feb 5, 2005

SATAN SANTA TRADE YOUR SOUL FOR MY ORANGES
I went for the readynas, as suggested, and put it together two days ago. I've spent the last few days transferring crap to it. Tonight it ran its first smart test, and I come home from drinking to find this email.

readynas ultra 4 posted:

Sat Jul 21 04:00:30 CEST 2012. Disk 3 did not pass SMART self-assessment test. Please replace this disk as soon as possible.

Growing SMART errors indicate a disk that may fail soon. If the errors continue to increase, you should be prepared to replace the disk.

wtf? It's brand new, it seems a bit early to fail...Did I get a dud drive?
Right now the box says it is resynching.

Here's the SMART data. I can't see any errors there. I'm bewildered..
Do I really need to get a new drive shipped to me this soon?

quote:

Model: ST2000DL003-9VT166
Serial: 5YD8SE8L
Firmware: CC32
SMART Attribute
Spin Up Time 0
Start Stop Count 4
Reallocated Sector Count 0
Power On Hours 42
Spin Retry Count 0
Power Cycle Count 4
Runtime Bad Block 0
End-to-End Error 0
Reported Uncorrect 0
Command Timeout 0
High Fly Writes 0
Airflow Temperature Cel 26
G-Sense Error Rate 0
Power-Off Retract Count 3
Load Cycle Count 4
Temperature Celsius 26
Current Pending Sector 0
Offline Uncorrectable 0
UDMA CRC Error Count 0
Head Flying Hours 262804753874986
Total LBAs Written 137162482
Total LBAs Read 3274272283
ATA Error Count 0

edit; the NAS is set up with netgear's XRAID2

Stein Rockon fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jul 21, 2012

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Hard drives have their highest failure rates in the first six months, then they drop, then they raise again slowly each year until, at about five years old, they fail as often as six month old drives do. After that, it gets even worse.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Factory Factory posted:

Hard drives have their highest failure rates in the first six months, then they drop, then they raise again slowly each year until, at about five years old, they fail as often as six month old drives do. After that, it gets even worse.

According to disk manufacturers, yes. According to real world studies? Well, it gets more complicated.

http://static.usenix.org/events/fast07/tech/schroeder/schroeder.pdf
http://research.google.com/archive/disk_failures.pdf

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

My DNS-321 is a piece of poo poo that constantly crashes and I'm going to take a hammer to it out back in a few minutes. After removing the disks of course, but then I think they might be tainted or something so maybe I should leave them in :mad:

Anyway, it needs replacing. While I mull over what to get for my two 1TB disks though, I have some questions.

- In RAID 1, if one disk dies can I still immediately access all my data on the other one or do I need to replace the dead disk first?

- What's the normal process for upgrading available disk space in RAID 1, like if I were to buy two 2TB disks? Can I just replace one disk, let the NAS re-mirror the other old disk to the new one, then swap out the second old one? (that sounds a little too easy even as I write it :()

- Am I basically hosed if I don't want to spend more than $200 on this? I know people recommend things like the ReadyNAS Ultra stuff but that's like $350 where I am, and I don't especially want to wait for online shipping anyway.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I have an ancient HP Mediasmart EX487 server that I haven't used in over two years. I fired it back up today so I can get my old files (obviously not important at all) off of it so I can get rid of it.

I cannot, for the life of me, connect to it. I connected it to my laptop via ethernet, used remote desktop to log-in and I don't seem to remember the name of the server. Tried Admin, Administrator, and two names I'm positive I assigned to it. No dice. I also installed the Home Server Connector software and it never found it (even when connected to my router). Not once have I found it on any network search on my computer. I tried to find it by typing in random addresses (192.168.1.12, etc) but no dice. I rebooted the server and my laptop a few times in the process just in case. Nothing.

It's as if it doesn't exist.

Anyone have a tip as to how to find this thing on my network/RDC so I can access then wipe?

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jul 22, 2012

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

hotsauce posted:

I have an ancient HP Mediasmart EX487 server that I haven't used in over two years. I fired it back up today so I can get my old files (obviously not important at all) off of it so I can get rid of it.

I cannot, for the life of me, connect to it. I connected it to my laptop via ethernet, used remote desktop to log-in and I don't seem to remember the name of the server. Tried Admin, Administrator, and two names I'm positive I assigned to it. No dice. I also installed the Home Server Connector software and it never found it (even when connected to my router). Not once have I found it on any network search on my computer. I tried to find it by typing in random addresses (192.168.1.12, etc) but no dice. I rebooted the server and my laptop a few times in the process just in case. Nothing.

It's as if it doesn't exist.

Anyone have a tip as to how to find this thing on my network/RDC so I can access then wipe?

Do you have access to the dhcp server? if you have a wireless router or something you should be able to login and see if it grabbed a lease. If it's statically assigned, you may have to sniff traffic with wireshark or something to see if it's showing up.

Assuming it's even booting properly and everything.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

FreeNAS 8.2 has finally been released. The upgrade went smoothly for me, and it's all looking good so far!

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

moron posted:

FreeNAS 8.2 has finally been released. The upgrade went smoothly for me, and it's all looking good so far!

Speaking of upgrading, I had a hell of a time doing the web upgrade last time, what browsers are known to work with the web upgrade?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

IT Guy posted:

Speaking of upgrading, I had a hell of a time doing the web upgrade last time, what browsers are known to work with the web upgrade?
Firefox x64 worked fine for me. The biggest problem in the past in my case was making sure I was clicking on the right SHA key to match with whatever I was downloading.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Haha man, that sucked hardcore.

I tried to retrieve the data off of the harddrive that I had posted about earlier. Before I could run ddrescue, I had to mount my raid array (my main OS drive didn't have enough space). I'm not completely new to linux but I had never done anything like this. I found a tutorial online (from the distro's forums) and went ahead to try to mount it.

Well it definitely didn't work. Booting back into Windows, I was greeted with a prompt to rebuild my raid array (raid 5, not the first time I've had to rebuild it). 10 hours later all of my data is gone :saddowns:. I guess there's nothing wrong with starting from scratch, right? :unsmith:

And, the hdd that I was trying to retrieve from is actually completely dead. Ran some diagnostics and the entire thing just threw a bunch of errors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Delta-Wye posted:

Do you have access to the dhcp server? if you have a wireless router or something you should be able to login and see if it grabbed a lease. If it's statically assigned, you may have to sniff traffic with wireshark or something to see if it's showing up.

Assuming it's even booting properly and everything.

I don't seem to see it after connecting to my router. I have an Airport Extreme, so it is a bit tricky to see what's grabbing a lease (at least I can't figure it out).

It boots and runs just fine. I remember changing the IP address of it years ago and from there, could never connect. I don't really know what I'm doing, but I'm about ready to take it out back with a hammer like the other guy.

Will an external driver reader read the drives? I just want my data off of it.