Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ginny Field
Dec 18, 2007

What if there is some boy-beast running around Camp Crystal Lake?
Meet Douglas!

My future father-in-law just adopted this little guy. The shelter said jack russell / pug mix, but other than the curly tail I'm not really seeing the pug. Any guesses on what he might be?

He's about twenty pounds, and seems to be a clever little guy. He also likes to watch old episodes of Wishbone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I'm seeing Jack Russell/pug too, honestly. His face is much more smooshed than a JRT's. His eyes have a pug-ish-ness to them also, just not all bug-eyed. But definitely a lot of JRT showing.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Wicked pissa little critta
He's got those Steve Buscemi eyes that just scream "pug mix" :3:

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
I guessed jack/pug by just looking at the photo.. if you look at puggles they have that..sorta..pug face.
Could be some puggle offshoot as well.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
juggles :shepicide:

Ginny Field
Dec 18, 2007

So, jack/pug it is, I guess. :3:

I think I had just always assumed that the pug coloring would dominate in most pug mixes-- every puggle I've ever seen has been black and tan.

Also, juggles sound like they should be some special breed of circus trick dog.

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

Are you ready for an ORGAN SOLO?!
Sometimes Lucy does stuff to remind me of her part shepherd-ness...

her ears are the best :3:

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Adopted this guy a couple months ago, no clue what he is besides a whole bunch of terrier. Super friendly and attached, he absolutely hates being separated from his people. My guess is mini-schnauzer and some other kind of terrier that is a bit bigger? Honestly clueless.

These two are from just after I got him (March)

Before grooming

After

Here's what he looks like now though, he's starting to get bigger. This is his typical "okay i'm done, good night" pose. About 30lb here.

He also has no concept of size and will quite happily gnaw on pit bulls five times his weight. Should have kept recording, he actually managed to flip the pit which was hilarious.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8dSA0uNF1A

Ginny Field
Dec 18, 2007

law abiding rapist posted:

Adopted this guy a couple months ago, no clue what he is besides a whole bunch of terrier. Super friendly and attached, he absolutely hates being separated from his people. My guess is mini-schnauzer and some other kind of terrier that is a bit bigger? Honestly clueless.

Before grooming

Looks like he could be schnauzer/poodle, maybe? His coat looks pretty wavy.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Took Babushka to the farm since my wife took her friends (the cats) away for 2 weeks, and boy does she love to swim.

Is it me or does she use her tail as a rudder?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YXKA_Ad8f0

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.

law abiding rapist posted:

Before grooming

After

Here's what he looks like now though, he's starting to get bigger. This is his typical "okay i'm done, good night" pose. About 30lb here.

He also has no concept of size and will quite happily gnaw on pit bulls five times his weight. Should have kept recording, he actually managed to flip the pit which was hilarious.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8dSA0uNF1A

That actually just looks like a purebred, maybe BYB-bred, Schnauzer. There's an in-between size between the mini and the standard that weighs 20-30lbs, and sometimes if their tails are left undocked they can get curly and weird looking.

Absolute Evil
Aug 25, 2008

Don't mess with Mister Creazil!
I also posted this in the Yappy Rat thread, because he is adorable.

Yesterday I adopted a dog from the local shelter. This shelter had taken him from another shelter, that was 3 hours away, because he was set to be euthanized. He and my orange cat are already BFF's. The other cat is sulking, but that's his usual state of being.

The shelter said he was about a year old and mostly dachshund. I'm not really seeing it. When he barks, it's more of a bay, like a hound. His sound is too big for his body. His ears don't hang down, they are usually flopping backwards, which makes him look like he has head-wings when he runs.A few pictures of Hugo, he was scared of the flash and wouldn't hold still. And please excuse the boyfriends pajamas :) Any ideas about the little guy?

geekyisgood
Jul 16, 2012
This is Fiddich (as in the whisky).

He came to us age 3 so we don't have puppy photos. He was originally a rescue puppy and his previous owners described him as a labrador-dalmation cross. However I don't think he has a drop of Lab in him (far too well behaved around food and he hates water) but he behaves quite like a pointer.

We have lots of fun playing "Guess the breed" with other dog walkers when we take him to the park near our house.

He's originally from France and I know next-to-nothing about French breeds so maybe there's something really obvious we're missing.

geekyisgood fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jul 22, 2012

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
Plenty of labs hate water and are intelligent enough to not be a pushy dick around food; those aren't really universal breed characteristics. I see lab/pointer.

geekyisgood
Jul 16, 2012
All the labs I know can't resist a bit of water and any food they can see or smell, so I rashly assumed it was basically universal.

I know so little about dalmatians. He's clearly got spots, but that could be pointer. I don't know if there is a good way of distinguishing between pointer and dalmatian spots.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

geekyisgood posted:

All the labs I know can't resist a bit of water and any food they can see or smell, so I rashly assumed it was basically universal.

I know so little about dalmatians. He's clearly got spots, but that could be pointer. I don't know if there is a good way of distinguishing between pointer and dalmatian spots.

He looks reminiscent of my wife's old Lab/Pointer mix, just with a longer face.

Alex also hated water more than anything. Ever. As in, tried to run backwards in mid-air when he realized the geese he was chasing had gone in to the pond.

On him, there's really no way to say 'Oh those spots are from a Dal' vs 'from a Pointer' because either way, he's a mix and the spots don't really cover a huge part of his body.

geekyisgood
Jul 16, 2012

TVs Ian posted:

He looks reminiscent of my wife's old Lab/Pointer mix, just with a longer face.

Alex also hated water more than anything. Ever. As in, tried to run backwards in mid-air when he realized the geese he was chasing had gone in to the pond.

On him, there's really no way to say 'Oh those spots are from a Dal' vs 'from a Pointer' because either way, he's a mix and the spots don't really cover a huge part of his body.

Oh yes! Very similar :). I wish I could have seen him trying to run backwards. Fiddich walks round puddles wherever possible and when forced to walk through one always hangs back before the inevitable. At least he never wants to go swimming so dealing with a muddy wet dog is never a problem.

DrKrankenwagen
Mar 21, 2005

Ishkibibble_Fish posted:

She looks like a Labby pit mix to me. :3: Can't wait for more photos.

I got her on Thursday, finally.

Picture as promised. She's one of the nicest dogs I've ever had. She's a bit hyper, but we'll work on that. The vet said he think she's probably pit/lab mix with something else thrown in, her eyes and ears definitely scream pit. And she loves to swim.

Bonus video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-uf8VuwtSo

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Absolute Evil posted:

Any ideas about the little guy?

He looks almost exactly like the dachshund/chihuahua mixes my old college prof rescued. It's a relatively common "designer" mix. One of their dogs has a bark like what you describe, and the build of your dog, while the other had that same coloring and build (although she was a wirehair) but a tiny high pitched bark.

I could also see something like beagle/chihuahua in your guy, though.

somethingwicked
May 5, 2006

Hai!

Absolute Evil posted:

I also posted this in the Yappy Rat thread, because he is adorable.

Yesterday I adopted a dog from the local shelter. This shelter had taken him from another shelter, that was 3 hours away, because he was set to be euthanized. He and my orange cat are already BFF's. The other cat is sulking, but that's his usual state of being.

The shelter said he was about a year old and mostly dachshund. I'm not really seeing it. When he barks, it's more of a bay, like a hound. His sound is too big for his body. His ears don't hang down, they are usually flopping backwards, which makes him look like he has head-wings when he runs.A few pictures of Hugo, he was scared of the flash and wouldn't hold still. And please excuse the boyfriends pajamas :) Any ideas about the little guy?

He looks pretty similar to the dog I adopted last month. The shelter said he's a beagle/chihuahua mix (others have said they see some Jack Russel in him though). I'm not entirely sure at this point, other than he's adorable.

His ears go from down and floppy, to erect, and sometimes he has both flipped backwards like you said.

rabbit rabbit
Dec 12, 2006

A rabbit is under attack!
This is Remy. I just got this girl a month ago and I'm not exactly sure what she is. The shelter labeled her as an Australian Cattle dog mix. Any ideas?

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I see some pittie in that face as well. Pit/cattle dog/???

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Ginny Field posted:

So, jack/pug it is, I guess. :3:

I think I had just always assumed that the pug coloring would dominate in most pug mixes-- every puggle I've ever seen has been black and tan.

Also, juggles sound like they should be some special breed of circus trick dog.

You're right, for him to have that amount of white both parents would have to at least carry white. I'm going to guess pug/beagle/jack. I bet he's a fun dog :3:

rabbit rabbit posted:

This is Remy. I just got this girl a month ago and I'm not exactly sure what she is. The shelter labeled her as an Australian Cattle dog mix. Any ideas?

I'd agree with cattle dog/pit-thing. Get ready for a smart as a whip, amazingly loyal dog.

rabbit rabbit
Dec 12, 2006

A rabbit is under attack!
I'd agree with cattle dog/pit-thing. Get ready for a smart as a whip, amazingly loyal dog.
[/quote]

She's already amazingly loyal and she's ridiculously sweet. I really got lucky. Any idea how long it takes a dog to open up more? She's been in a shelter most of her life but is still timid around my family members and not so excited about playing yet.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

rabbit rabbit posted:

She's already amazingly loyal and she's ridiculously sweet. I really got lucky. Any idea how long it takes a dog to open up more? She's been in a shelter most of her life but is still timid around my family members and not so excited about playing yet.

It was a good 3 months before my rescue dog started really acting like the dog he is now. Taking her to training classes might really help her confidence if you haven't already.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Instant Jellyfish posted:

It was a good 3 months before my rescue dog started really acting like the dog he is now. Taking her to training classes might really help her confidence if you haven't already.

Yeah. Asa took about 2-3 months to really open up and play.
And my then-bosses then-3-year-old daughter.
If the dog likes kids, they can REALLY open up that "play" switch.
Its pretty awesome.

keeksmeet
Apr 5, 2006
Bucking Bull Piggy Bank
Posted her in the "wake up your dog thread" and wanted to share her more. This is Scrappily Rappily. I found her on the road in rural Tennessee. She's lithe 28 pounds and will run circles around me for hours when we are outside. She'll nip at my heels and at the heels of her dog friends- definitely a strong herding instinct. She has some ticking on her legs (couldn't close enough to take a picture without her crawling into my lap).

She is intensely loyal and smart as a whip. My dream dog is a Belgian Tervuren and I think I found one in a smaller package. Anyway, I think she is an Aussie/Sheltie mix. Thoughts?

20inch
May 26, 2010

elementary.
I'm so excited to see a mutt thread so I can post these two goofballs!

This is Yoshi. He is an Oki-mix, which basically just means a mutt from Okinawa, Japan. I have a feeling he is part shepherd just based on his face but I really don't know. We got him from a local rescue agency that pulls dogs out of the huge kill shelter here and adopts them out. He is constantly full of energy (sometimes a little too much) and really, really friendly to both dogs and people. He is a bit dopey. Also, he has extremely stretchy skin underneath his fur and he hates -- HATES -- water. If we take him on a walk by the seawall he will literally pull as far away from the noise of the ocean as possible. Despite this, he is a pretty good swimmer (and he has tiny webs between his toes!).

The brown on his nose here is dirt because he likes to root around in mud like a pig. :)

My other dog, Domino, was listed as a "border collie mix" at the shelter, which I can definitely see.

Sorry, I guess I don't have any full-body pictures of him at the moment. He is a bit more husky than your regular border collie but I really can't tell what else he would be mixed with. When we first adopted him he was very hand-shy and would not accept food, treats, or toys. If you tried to throw a toy for him to chase, he would cringe and run away. :( He tried to ignore us as much as possible, really, but he got along great with Yoshi. Now he is an absolute sweetheart, loves attention, is extremely patient and very smart. I have caught him looking into the oven door to see what is inside. He smiles at himself in the mirror and has figured out how to open our hallway closet to get at the dog treats. He does have a bit of separation anxiety but it is easing up over time. Hooray mutts!

mickeymickey
Sep 13, 2004
punch me, i'm irish

20inch posted:

That is not a dog that is a very large golden lion tamarin :colbert:

mombot
Sep 28, 2010

mmmmmwah - Trophy kisses!

20inch posted:

This is Yoshi. He is an Oki-mix, which basically just means a mutt from Okinawa, Japan. I have a feeling he is part shepherd just based on his face but I really don't know. We got him from a local rescue agency that pulls dogs out of the huge kill shelter here and adopts them out. He is constantly full of energy (sometimes a little too much) and really, really friendly to both dogs and people. He is a bit dopey. Also, he has extremely stretchy skin underneath his fur and he hates -- HATES -- water. If we take him on a walk by the seawall he will literally pull as far away from the noise of the ocean as possible. Despite this, he is a pretty good swimmer (and he has tiny webs between his toes!).

The brown on his nose here is dirt because he likes to root around in mud like a pig. :)

My other dog, Domino, was listed as a "border collie mix" at the shelter, which I can definitely see.

Sorry, I guess I don't have any full-body pictures of him at the moment. He is a bit more husky than your regular border collie but I really can't tell what else he would be mixed with. When we first adopted him he was very hand-shy and would not accept food, treats, or toys. If you tried to throw a toy for him to chase, he would cringe and run away. :( He tried to ignore us as much as possible, really, but he got along great with Yoshi. Now he is an absolute sweetheart, loves attention, is extremely patient and very smart. I have caught him looking into the oven door to see what is inside. He smiles at himself in the mirror and has figured out how to open our hallway closet to get at the dog treats. He does have a bit of separation anxiety but it is easing up over time. Hooray mutts!

beautiful dogs. The first one definitely looks like he has some GSD and maybe, being you said oki mix, Akita - they are especially fluffy. The other one looks a lot like the dog from Babe, but I'm not sure what that is. So, I've been absolutely no help, but loved looking at your beautiful dogs.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
These are my mutts:

That's Flynn on the left, and Hannibal on the right. We adopted Hannibal a year ago when he was ~ 4 months old, and we adopted Flynn earlier this year in February. Anyone have any idea what breeds they are? Hannibal is obviously GSD mixed with something. I have no idea what Flynn is, our vet wasn't too sure, so his breed is listed as cattle dog. HE HAS SO MUCH ENERGY D:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
It's hard to tell from just that one picture, but it looks like Flynn has some Border Collie or Australian Shepherd in him maybe? It would explain the energy.

baquack obamailure
Feb 20, 2009
This is my mutt Izzie with my daughter. This is legit and not rigged. Wherever my daughter is, Izzie is.

here, she reminds me of pit, but i've gotten greyhound a lot too

my child will try to eat the dog's tail on a regular basis.

Izzie always licking my child. Sometimes, it leads to insane giggling. Other times, my daughter will push her away.

We got her when she was 6 months from someone fostering her for our local shelter (and a crazy amount of other dogs). The burden was increasing, so they posted a Craigslist ad for Iz since she was the newest member; they had less time invested in her. The animal shelter here encourages fosters to keep dogs until the shelter can take them or they find a nice home. We had been looking for a dog for what seemed like forever; shelter trips every weekend for like 6 months and nothing seemed to fit. Found her picture on CL and something clicked. I went to meet her and she was so timid. She's now 2 and grown out of the timidness. She's outgoing and protective over our family. She's hands-down the best dog i've ever had. Ever.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I see pit mix, not much else. Adorable how she dotes on your daughter. :3:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Your pit bull mix is tasting your daughter's face, before eating her. I suggest you take an immediate course of action*.

* that is to say, take more photos of them together :3:

wyrm
Apr 11, 2009
This is [Spinning] Jenny. I originally picked her up as a small puppy from a local family that had no info on her parents (mine is her third and final home) but they thought she was a Border Collie. While I'm pretty sure there's some herding dog in her, possibly BC, I have no idea what the rest is. She's about 20" tall at the shoulder and a steady 36lbs, which I guess is about right for a BC but her coat, coloring and build seem off even considering the differences that exist among the breed. Her signature move is the mid-air 360, hence the name.

She's 11 months old but hasn't really changed in the last 3, so it's time to get some expert opinions on her heritage!

This is the oldest pic, her legs and torso are just a bit longer now

leash me leash me

If you squint hard enough you can see her brain in this one.

Temperament wise she is mellow bordering on lazy. The only loud noise I've heard her make was the yelp when I got her chipped; her barks are incredibly rare, come singly and are strangely hushed. She gets playful and hyper but always stops bouncing around when I do. She's also the least mischievous puppy I've ever met and has never chewed up anything I didn't give to her. She's crazy attentive and picks up new commands and signals readily. I love this dog so drat much.

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK
I don't have any suggestions but apparently border collies do come in brindle like that, so the color alone wouldn't mean she had to be a mix. I don't know anything else about BCs though so she might be a really obvious mix to people who do know something about them. :) She is really cute!

wyrm
Apr 11, 2009
I don't know much about them either but a trainer friend who does a lot of agility work with border collies told me there's no way she's purebred, for whatever that's worth. I've been able to compare Jenny side-by-side to two BCs around the same age and the known purebreds were both generally larger, stockier, much more muscular, had way thicker coats, longer muzzles (but very similar forehead/stop), and were about a billion times more energetic and aloof. Then again, the working breeds I am familiar with have a lot of variety among individuals, especially when you venture into backyard breeding so I'm essentially clueless. Maybe she'll fill out a bunch over the next year, but her weight hasn't budged in months.

wyrm fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Aug 4, 2012

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
That first picture made me think Aussie mix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
:unsmith:
But are Australian Shepherds that small?