Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
drat, Lister looks so incredibly old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

They all are. The only one that won't is Robert Llewellyn due to the heavy makeup.

When you consider that the first show was broadcast nearly 25 years ago, it's not all that unsurprising.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
I was delighted to see Red Dwarf on Netflix, only to realise I had series 1 to 6 on DVD anyway and that 7 and 8, in my mind, didn't actually happen.

Tried watching Series 7 the other weekend as I did housework and it's just...sigh...nothing.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Series 8 was at least better than Series 7.

My best Red Dwarf memory was on a whim, calling the studio number. I can't even remember how I got hold of the number but I tried it anyway. I ended up speaking with Nigel Pinhay who dealt with props in the later end of the show.

Ended up talking with him for about 15 minutes or so about the show and it's various props.

Interesting prop note: The tank used in "Pride and Prejudice" world is the same tank driven by Pierce Brosnan in Goldeneye.

Testro
May 2, 2009
I used to think Series 8 was better than 7, but if you watch 8 immediately after the previous seasons, it becomes apparent that virtually all of the decent jokes in 8 are just recycled from 1-6.

Tikka to Ride and Cassandra are pretty much the only reasons to watch either season.

britishbornandbread - I did the same with the Brittas Empire, which fell off the rails once the writers/Laura departed.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

Mickolution posted:

Ohh yeah, I know it was important in the UK one, but there were so few jokes based around it that I'd forgotten. I remember reading that the US one was going to focus on it more, though.

There's an Irish one too. It's really entertaining because of how low rent it is. For example, instead of sending them off on a short holiday, they send the couples to a fictional nightclub called "Shifters" ("shift" being Irish slang for snog), which is just a couch backstage where they have a chat for a few minutes.

Here's an episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18Cf-DdVuVA

A lot of irish tv is brilliantly low rent, "tallafornia" is incredible due to how terrible it is.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Anyone took a peek at that depressingly titled Coming Soon on iPlayer?

And we think we have it rough, ouch. The worst bit was the sad suicide forrest in the mountains you could feel the unease coming from the screen.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Leon with a Zero posted:

A lot of irish tv is brilliantly low rent, "tallafornia" is incredible due to how terrible it is.

I only saw an episode or so of Tallafornia, but thought it was awful. I was expecting it to be "so bad it's a bit funny", but it was just dull in what I saw of it.

edit: Both Tallafornia and the Irish Take Me Out are made by TV3, who are a commercial broadcaster in a country with a population of 4.5m where most people have access to the UK channels and speak English. As such, they have pretty much no money and their output consists of bought in shows from UK/US (Corrie being their biggest draw) and cheap as chips studio based stuff like Take Me Out and a seemingly endless stream of talk and magazine shows. I think they do a pretty good job for the situation they're in, but the quality of their output is always going to be quite poor, especially compared to UK channels or RTE, the public service broadcaster who also have advertising and have been established for 50years (as opposed to 14 I think for TV3).

My point being, I would disagree with you about Irish TV being low rent, when it's a case of TV3 being low rent, but making a decent fist of what they've got. RTE put out some stuff with really high production values. The content isn't always the best, but I doubt there are any other countries in Europe our size where TV channels put out anything better. Especially when you consider how close we are to the UK.

Mickolution fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jul 22, 2012

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Why do they show Corrie when everyone can watch it on ITV :confused:

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Paperhouse posted:

Why do they show Corrie when everyone can watch it on ITV :confused:

Not everyone can. Most do now, but in the past it was only if you had cable/satellite or lived close to the UK that you could get those channels, they weren't available by an areal everywhere. I grew up next to the border, so we always had them, but 50m away in Dublin, you can still only get the Irish channels if you have an arial I think, certainly that's all you get with rabbit-ears. Most houses in Dublin have cable, but it's only in a few cities even now and not everyone has Satellite.

RTE showed Corrie as far back as I can remember, but then TV3 got it as they were owned by Granada for a while. TV3 have that an Emmerdale now, RTE show Eastenders. It's reasonably cheap programming that they don't have to make themselves and will always attract viewers. We get a lot of UK shows, but those are the only ones that air at the same time, I think.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
So when they first got Corrie did they do like a catchup marathon from the beginning for the people who didn't have it?

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

According to Wiki

quote:

The show was first aired in 1978, beginning with episodes from 1976. Ireland eventually caught up with the current UK episodes in 1983. Until 1992 it was broadcast on RTÉ Two and from 1992 to 2001 it was broadcast on RTÉ One. In 2001 Granada TV bought 45% TV3, which resulted in TV3 broadcasting series since 2001. In 2006 ITV sold its share of the channel but TV3 and ITV have since agreed to allow the programme to remain on TV3. Most Irish households receive ITV (either through Northern Ireland's UTV or ITV1 Wales) and can watch the show on that channel.

Same article says it gets 360k viewers per episode, which is huge.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

thebardyspoon posted:

So when they first got Corrie did they do like a catchup marathon from the beginning for the people who didn't have it?

This would be amazing. I'd probably watch the really old ones, even though Corrie is poo poo.

I saw an advert for old Home and Away being shown on Channel 5. Brought back memories of coming home from primary school to see Alf Stewart and Flathead.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Despite the horrifically insensitive name, this Beauty and the Beast show on Channel 4 is really sweet.

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

netally posted:

This would be amazing. I'd probably watch the really old ones, even though Corrie is poo poo.

I saw an advert for old Home and Away being shown on Channel 5. Brought back memories of coming home from primary school to see Alf Stewart and Flathead.

I happened to flip through channels shortly after six and caught about a minute of it. It all looks very different now with fancy camera work and too many young people. I did notice Marilyn is still in it! Honestly I am so jealous of these soap actors like Marilyn, Ken Barlow and Ian Beale with their cushy jobs for life :(

meme
Oct 7, 2009

But it's a pretty good way to get someone to spend money on buying you an av and sig. Maybe I should be really obnoxious and get an upgrade myself

Moral of the story: be careful what you wish for.

You are welcome.

sex pervert posted:

I happened to flip through channels shortly after six and caught about a minute of it. It all looks very different now with fancy camera work and too many young people. I did notice Marilyn is still in it! Honestly I am so jealous of these soap actors like Marilyn, Ken Barlow and Ian Beale with their cushy jobs for life :(

I know- These guys have one of the most secure jobs on television that will likely continue until their death. Or the heat death of the universe. I have to watch it every time I go to my dad's house and I'm sick of the constant drama. I know that sounds dumb but It'd be nice if there was a show on the telly that was just 24/7 relaxed-streetcam.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

sex pervert posted:

Honestly I am so jealous of these soap actors like Marilyn, Ken Barlow and Ian Beale with their cushy jobs for life :(

I guess you could take solace in the fact that the guy who plays Barlow is completely batshit crazy in reality.

Handsome Dead
May 21, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
He also hasn't learned to act, despite being on the show for about 60 years.

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

Crankit posted:

I guess you could take solace in the fact that the guy who plays Barlow is completely batshit crazy in reality.

Yeah, I saw him in the tabloids a while ago. Something about communing with his dead wife and everyone developing telepathic abilities and higher consciousness in 2012. It was all very David Icke. I guess being married to Deirdre for so long would drive anyone mental :v:

edit: I've watched Corrie and Emmerdale and Eastenders on and off since I was a nipper and it seems that they just change the characters but have the same plots going in cycles. I do miss 90s Brookside, with all the wife beating and murder and incest :black101:

sex pervert fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jul 26, 2012

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Brookside really was head and shoulders above the rest, up to a point anyway, then it got poo poo. Bit like Channel 4, really...

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I've started watching Eastenders pretty regularly since I moved in with my girlfriend... it's watchable enough, but gently caress does it move slowly. Two plots, in particular, both involving babies: one girl was pregnant for ages, and was just repeatedly breaking her curfew, with no real development, for loving AGES, but she's finally given birth now.

Another woman is stuck in some baby clinic in hospital, crying and telling people to gently caress off and wishing her husband was there, and he periodically comes back then they get in a row and he leaves and the process starts again.

Just get a move on!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

British soaps should just toss away the realism and go up to eleven already. Then in my eyes they will be entertainment once more.

Turn Phil into Scarface already.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

British soaps should just toss away the realism and go up to eleven already. Then in my eyes they will be entertainment once more.

They do, hollyoaks.

meme
Oct 7, 2009

But it's a pretty good way to get someone to spend money on buying you an av and sig. Maybe I should be really obnoxious and get an upgrade myself

Moral of the story: be careful what you wish for.

You are welcome.
Last night I saw a Runescape advert on the telly. Uh. That was pretty surprising, and it got me wondering- how much does a 30s TV Advert cost?

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

meme posted:

Last night I saw a Runescape advert on the telly. Uh. That was pretty surprising, and it got me wondering- how much does a 30s TV Advert cost?

Depends on the channel, the time, and what's on. Higher ratings mean higher advertising costs, obviously. According to ITV you can start an ad campaign for as little as £1, 500, but I assume that's using slots on ITV3 in the wee small hours.

Examples of ITV's spot costs (where spot=1x30s slot) can be found here.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

meme posted:

Depends what channel it's on, what time of day and what programme it's during. ITV, for example, charges about 5k for a spot during whatever poo poo they show at 11AM on a weekday, but they charge you about 60k for a spot during Corrie.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Explains why you see a billion Compensation Laywers 4 You type advertisements in the mid morning on telly then.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

meme posted:

I saw one in the school I work in. I was surprised because I didn't realise it was still a thing and also what the he'll is a school doing letting them advertise that?

Johnny Deformed
Jun 11, 2005

Because fact into doubt... won't go.
I always wondered about advert prices because I could never understand how so many of those insurance companies or comparison sites (GoCompare etc) can afford to have such blanket coverage across seemingly all channels all day.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

SeanBeansShako posted:

Turn Phil into Scarface already.

True, I'd like to see the soaps become more like the American versions. Shirtless men, soft-focus and people coming back from the dead (although they already did the latter with Dirty Den).

I hate all the boring gangster poo poo in Eastenders. Who cares about Derek and family honour and men giving each other hard, vaguely homoerotic looks?

Are there actually any areas of London still like Eastenders though? In real life, the Vic would have been turned into a gastropub with £12.99 burgers, everyone would be commuting to the city everyday and those terraced houses would all be flats.

I'm overthinking it. Lets just laugh at Phil Mitchell on crack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdoLJsUI6S4

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

meme posted:

Jagex is doing pretty well and probably wants to create some more brand awareness for themselves before their Transformers MMO launched. Runescape also recently got it's 100 millionth account or something too.

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Izzy wizzy, let's get Byzzy!
I know no-one has talked about the new version of Blockbusters on Challenge, but my girlfriend and I will be making an appearance as contestants during the second half of tonight's episode, which starts on Challenge in about 10 minutes.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Hahaha.

Looking good James! :)

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

http://www.musicweek.com/news/read/channel-4-to-celebrate-rave-genre-with-six-hour-ad-free-broadcast/051143

a 6 hour ads-free one-off rave-up on C4 hopefully they will get some actual acts that were a part of the whole rave scene 20 years ago for this, it could be great.

Its apparently not going to be on 4OD either.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Grandmaster Flash and Annie Mac? What the gently caress?

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Its nice to see them trying something a bit different, especially in the absence of adverts, but I can't imagine that would actually make for very good watching.

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!

Testro posted:

britishbornandbread - I did the same with the Brittas Empire, which fell off the rails once the writers/Laura departed.

I recently re-watched Brittas and it really surprised me how solid and decent it was for a 7pm BBC1 sitcom from the 90s, I expected a bit of nostalgia and the odd laugh but some of the episodes are fantastic. There's the odd dated bit but it still holds up really well overall, post Laura is obviously rubbish but there are some episodes which are good.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

Giedroyc posted:

I recently re-watched Brittas and it really surprised me how solid and decent it was for a 7pm BBC1 sitcom from the 90s, I expected a bit of nostalgia and the odd laugh but some of the episodes are fantastic. There's the odd dated bit but it still holds up really well overall, post Laura is obviously rubbish but there are some episodes which are good.

I watched an episode and cringed at how bad it was.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Is anyone watching this surreal loving shambles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Leyburn posted:

Is anyone watching this surreal loving shambles?

You shut the gently caress up this is insane and rules