Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Serious voice:

Starcrash really is an immensely enjoyable bad movie. Not just a regular "drunk MST3K with friends" bad movie. It's legitimately entertaining in its own bizarre way, like Flash Gordon.

I really can't recommend it enough.

And it was a will work for food quality movie for Christopher Plummer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

We're for serious doing an Alcohollywood for it in a few weeks. It's totally worth it.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Hewlett posted:

We're for serious doing an Alcohollywood for it in a few weeks. It's totally worth it.

Please do, I did the Rubber one out of boredom and the desire to drink, it worked pretty well and probably increased my enjoyment of that weird movie.

Also, Rubber is a weird movie on Netflix you might or might not enjoy depending on how much you like to be despised by the director of what you're watching.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Just watched Goon again, and I recommend the poo poo out of it.

Don't let Sean William Scott deter you from watching this movie. He plays an extremely dumb, earnest guy, and thus isn't Stiffler like in every other movie he's in.

Yay Pudding!
Mar 26, 2010

Frrrrrrunkis

Rhyno posted:

Time to catch up on Fringe! Thanks for the heads up!

Is this coming up later or am I missing something? I wanted to check out Fringe, but it still says it's charging 2 bucks an episode on Amazon instant.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Is there some way you can see details about your streaming history, like hours streamed, how many times each title has been viewed, etc? I think I remember seeing something like that in the thread but I can't manage to find it, and my google-fu is failing me.
I think it was http://feedfliks.com/ before they elected the way of paying.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Yay Pudding! posted:

Is this coming up later or am I missing something? I wanted to check out Fringe, but it still says it's charging 2 bucks an episode on Amazon instant.

For some reason they still show up in search listings as having a price, but if you go to the show page itself all the episodes are check marked as available with Prime.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

fenix down posted:

I think it was http://feedfliks.com/ before they elected the way of paying.

Hopes and dreams shattered.

Really I was just curious how many times my kids have watched Phineas ans Ferb or Iron Man 2. Not curious enough to pay 10 bucks though. Thanks.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
L'auberge Espagnole just got added. It's a mostly plotless hang-out movie that follows a young French guy on a year spent living in Spain in an apartment with several other young students from all over Europe. There's really nothing more to say about it, but it's a very fun movie and it will make you really want to go be a student in Europe for awhile.

Its sequel, Russian Dolls, is also on instant. I don't really remember much about it, other than that it's not nearly as good as the first one, but if after the first one you want to spend more time hanging out with the characters (you will) it's probably worthwhile.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
So I wasn't curious enough to spend 10 bucks for some website to do it for me, but I was curious enough to open my streaming history, copy it all into excel, and make a pie chart.

We streamed 182 hours (and 17 minutes) in the past 30 days. I doubt anybody here really cares but I think it's funny enough to share.

For the 8 bucks we pay for it, it's well worth it.

Full disclosure: this is a quick and dirty graph that really displays percentages on a per item basis and not an actual time viewed basis, so it's not 100% accurate.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I can't bother to do excel, but I'm sure my pie chart is "80% terrible movies, 10% 80's/90's Nickelodeon cartoons, 10% Breaking Bad/South Park/misc. adult TV".

I really can't understand people who don't have Netflix and Hulu plus. I get WAY more than $16 worth, and would gladly pay $30 each a month for how much I use them.

Of course, at $30 a month I'd need instant updates and full back catalogues. But still, this is such a drat bargain.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

I can't bother to do excel, but I'm sure my pie chart is "80% terrible movies, 10% 80's/90's Nickelodeon cartoons, 10% Breaking Bad/South Park/misc. adult TV".

I really can't understand people who don't have Netflix and Hulu plus. I get WAY more than $16 worth, and would gladly pay $30 each a month for how much I use them.

Of course, at $30 a month I'd need instant updates and full back catalogues. But still, this is such a drat bargain.

I agree completely. I'm sure my ratios would be totally different if kids weren't involved. (Educational included both kids and adult stuff like Cosmos, How the Universe Works, Nat Geo docs, etc)

But seriously, for the last 30 days it came down to $1 for 22:45 of streaming. For a 2 hour movie it was like 10 cents. Way better than cable, and I'd also pay double or triple for more selection. (Also gently caress Redbox forever.)

I just think it's funny because what piqued my interest in finding my ratios was the conversation with my wife where I said "I bet Phineas and Ferb accounts for half of our streaming use." She didn't think so. I was pretty close :smug:

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

It's because 90% of the people who buy Netflix are dumb college kids who complain that there is "nothing on it" and watch Family Guy and South Park all day for a few months, then cancel their subscription.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Holy poo poo, Starcrash. Thanks for letting me know about that one, it's like pure unfiltered Sci-Fi Schlock. Every single bad Sci-Fi movie cliche is covered, from the atrocious acting to the inexplicable plot to the sets and props made out of random crap hotglued together. Every time the Rootin' Tootin' Cowboy Robot (Yeehaw!) spoke and Caroline Munro tried to act I was cracking up. Joe Spinell as the scenery-chewing, maniacally-laughing villain was amazing too.

It wasn't quite as out there as I was expecting though. When they said "racy" in the description I was expecting Barbarella levels of quasi-softcore.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Yeah. For clarity, it's "Roger Corman" won't-upset-anyone-but-the-Amish "racy." Not full blown 42nd street sleaze racy.

No idea why they called it that, TBH.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Yeah. For clarity, it's "Roger Corman" won't-upset-anyone-but-the-Amish "racy." Not full blown 42nd street sleaze racy.

No idea why they called it that, TBH.

Yeah, it's just Caroline Munro in her varying skimpy outfits, and her hilariously awful fistfight with all the similarly-scantily-clad female warriors. Don't forget the rack on that huge robot Titan thing.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

GonSmithe posted:

It's because 90% of the people who buy Netflix are dumb college kids who complain that there is "nothing on it" and watch Family Guy and South Park all day for a few months, then cancel their subscription.

I definitely get my $8 worth, but Netflix does have problems with getting new releases way too late or not at all. I know this is technically the studios' fault, but regardless, unless you like indie films and b-movies, Netflix doesn't have much to offer in the way of new releases.

Thankfully I don't watch many new releases but when I do, I have to rent them from iTunes for $5 (most recent example being Fincher's The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo).

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

hypersleep posted:

I definitely get my $8 worth, but Netflix does have problems with getting new releases way too late or not at all. I know this is technically the studios' fault, but regardless, unless you like indie films and b-movies, Netflix doesn't have much to offer in the way of new releases.

Thankfully I don't watch many new releases but when I do, I have to rent them from iTunes for $5 (most recent example being Fincher's The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo).

Yeah, and that's the problem. People get Netflix thinking that they'll instantly be able to watch all the new releases as soon as they come out on DVD, which isn't the case.

However, saying "there's nothing on it" is silly because there are thousands of hours of great movies and television on Netflix, people are just closed-minded.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Man, you guys weren't kidding about Starcrash, that movie ruled.

"IMPERIAL BATTLESHIP! HALT! THE FLOW OF TIME!"

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
Starcrash is amazing. I've been waiting for a film like this to pop on a Netflix forever.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I know this is the Netflix thread, but I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for Hulu Plus. I just got an account and have Eraserhead, Europa, George Washington, and a few other movies in my queue. Unfortunately, I don't have much familiarity with most of the Criterion films on there, so I was wondering if there was anything that was particularly good.

And going back to the Twin Peaks discussion from however many pages ago, I just finished the series and really liked it. I was expecting the second season to be pretty bad from what everyone said, but I liked it overall. It dragged in parts and they definitely could have cut out a few of the subplots, but I still thought it was pretty good. I probably liked it better than the first season actually, if only for the scene where Leland kills Maddie.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

I know this is the Netflix thread, but I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for Hulu Plus. I just got an account and have Eraserhead, Europa, George Washington, and a few other movies in my queue. Unfortunately, I don't have much familiarity with most of the Criterion films on there, so I was wondering if there was anything that was particularly good.

And going back to the Twin Peaks discussion from however many pages ago, I just finished the series and really liked it. I was expecting the second season to be pretty bad from what everyone said, but I liked it overall. It dragged in parts and they definitely could have cut out a few of the subplots, but I still thought it was pretty good. I probably liked it better than the first season actually, if only for the scene where Leland kills Maddie.

The first season is really well-filmed with little filler, but the second season has too many plot threads that go nowhere or don't make any sense like James' motorcycle adventures, or Ben Horne thinking he's a Civil War general. But the finale is amazing, and definitely worth wading through the crappy bits to see.

Also, it's been said already, but if you haven't been watching Breaking Bad, you're not using your Netflix account properly. The season they just added is literally the best television I've ever watched. Seriously, go watch it right now.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

I know this is the Netflix thread, but I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for Hulu Plus.
If you like MST3K there's always The Film Crew

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

fenix down posted:

If you like MST3K there's always The Film Crew

If you like MST3k there's also Rifftrax (Mike/Kevin/Bill's thing after the Film Crew) and Cinematic Titanic (featuring some of the original cast like Joel/Trace/Frank). Rifftrax seems to be more popular, but I prefer CT because I think they stuck to the style and spirit of MST3K better.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Also, it's been said already, but if you haven't been watching Breaking Bad, you're not using your Netflix account properly. The season they just added is literally the best television I've ever watched. Seriously, go watch it right now.

I'm just past half way through the second season now, and loving it. Does it get even better as it goes on?

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Jakabite posted:

I'm just past half way through the second season now, and loving it. Does it get even better as it goes on?

Yes. A thousand times yes.

Wabbit
Aug 22, 2002

Have you any figs, Sir?
If you guys like Starcrash so much, might want to check out Battle Beyond the Stars. I hadn't ever seen it before but it's a pretty decent Corman-produced Star Wars ripoff with George Peppard. Apparently James Cameron did all the effects, too.

Knightmare posted:

I'm on a 24 binge myself. I stopped watching around seasons 4 or 5 during original airings I believe and haven't seen the first few seasons in forever so it's been a fun ride, up to season 3 now. Jack Bauer is such a badass, and I distinctly remember keeping a running bodycount in the TVIV threads.

I never watched it on TV but in streaming format it's great. Waiting a week for the next episode would have been rough. What an absurd show.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I've been watching Miami Vice and having a blast.

Aw yeah. They can really set up a cover fast, can't they? Also Phillip Michael Thomas looks tougher in a pink linen suit than any man in the business.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Jakabite posted:

Yes, which is absolutely crazy, because it doesn't seem like it's possible, but it keeps getting better.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So is something up with Netflix on the 360? I was watching 2 hours ago, stopped to watch True Blood and when I reloaded the service it asked "Are you a member" and now it won't even let me log in.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Might have to have a marathon tonight then, finish S2 maybe.

SoleilEquil
Mar 18, 2010

Rhyno posted:

So is something up with Netflix on the 360? I was watching 2 hours ago, stopped to watch True Blood and when I reloaded the service it asked "Are you a member" and now it won't even let me log in.

Have you ever tried adding your device manually through the Netflix website? A long time ago you used to have to add the 360 and other 'devices' using some weird rear end code system on your account management (and it still records what devices you are logged into on there).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SoleilEquil posted:

Have you ever tried adding your device manually through the Netflix website? A long time ago you used to have to add the 360 and other 'devices' using some weird rear end code system on your account management (and it still records what devices you are logged into on there).

Tried that. For what it's worth neither Crackle or Amazon Instant were working either. It's working just fine now.

An Actual Bear
Feb 15, 2012

As a silly foreigner with little to no knowledge of US TV, what kind of show is Breaking Bad? Is it a comedy or more of a crime drama? I've heard literally no bad things about it so I may have to check it out.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007

An Actual Bear posted:

As a silly foreigner with little to no knowledge of US TV, what kind of show is Breaking Bad? Is it a comedy or more of a crime drama? I've heard literally no bad things about it so I may have to check it out.
It has funny moments but it's a drama through and through. And yes, you need to watch it!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

An Actual Bear posted:

Drama. High school science teacher finds out he has terminal cancer, doesn't want to leave his family with thousands of dollars in medical bills.

Runs across a former student of his who cooks meth. Realizes he can use his chemistry knowledge to cook even better meth.

Basic premise...one of the best shows on TV.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

An Actual Bear posted:

The first season seems to be pretty difficult for some, but stick with it!

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

An Actual Bear posted:

It's the closest thing you could ever get to the Coen brothers making a television series. Equal parts black comedy, riveting drama, unbearable suspense, and truly gripping character work.

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK

ClydeUmney posted:

It's the closest thing you could ever get to the Coen brothers making a television series. Equal parts black comedy, riveting drama, unbearable suspense, and truly gripping character work.

Not to mention some of the most amazing cinematography ever seen in a television show.

An Actual Bear
Feb 15, 2012

Sounds like something I could very easily enjoy. Now to see if there's a way to legally view it in the UK... :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

An Actual Bear posted:

Sounds like something I could very easily enjoy. Now to see if there's a way to legally view it in the UK... :sigh:

The DVDs seem to be pretty affordable.

• Locked thread