Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Yep, the noise performance is very similar to the NEX line despite the smaller sensor, and in trade you get access to a decent selection of lenses!

I'm leaving the mirrorless game, though, it's just not quite where I want it to be yet on a number of fronts - just put my NEX-7 on Craigslist. I'm going to go back to DSLRs for another couple of years and then look at mirrorless later down the line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I've realized that, for my uses, my M4/3 stuff doesn't add enough convenience over my full sized kit to justify the compromises on handling and capability along with the expense of a separate lens library. It's still big enough that I need to sling it over my shoulder or carry a different bag, at which point I may as well have the big camera.

If I didn't have the other camera it might be a different story, especially with stuff like the OM-D coming out, but for now I'm selling off my MFT gear and replacing it with something compact enough to fit in my everyday bag.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
Fun Shoe

powderific posted:

Yeah, I've realized that, for my uses, my M4/3 stuff doesn't add enough convenience over my full sized kit to justify the compromises on handling and capability along with the expense of a separate lens library. It's still big enough that I need to sling it over my shoulder or carry a different bag, at which point I may as well have the big camera.

If I didn't have the other camera it might be a different story, especially with stuff like the OM-D coming out, but for now I'm selling off my MFT gear and replacing it with something compact enough to fit in my everyday bag.

Just out of curiosity what is your optimal size for carrying in your everyday bag? I've been rocking my GF2 with a 14mm and a couple cheap Chinese manual only lenses for a few months now and they have been dream a to use. Perhaps you should consider selling everything except your 20mm and snag then snag a refurbished E-PM1 kit to see if that's more your flavor.

wheres my beer fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jul 19, 2012

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I guess I should clarify that by "everyday bag" I mean man purse type thing that's extremely small—the smallest of these guys: http://www.sfbags.com/products/muzetto/muzetto.php

Before the muzetto I carried a Tom Bihn travel bag that was been big enough for an E-PM1, but this bag's aesthetic is much, much nicer and the size is pretty much perfect. I can't see myself ditching it any time soon and realistically the biggest thing I'll be able to fit in there is something like an S100 or RX100.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
Fun Shoe

powderific posted:

I guess I should clarify that by "everyday bag" I mean man purse type thing that's extremely small—the smallest of these guys: http://www.sfbags.com/products/muzetto/muzetto.php

Before the muzetto I carried a Tom Bihn travel bag that was been big enough for an E-PM1, but this bag's aesthetic is much, much nicer and the size is pretty much perfect. I can't see myself ditching it any time soon and realistically the biggest thing I'll be able to fit in there is something like an S100 or RX100.

Man, that's a small bag. My Chrome Metropolis is freaking huge. I regularly hide a gripped Canon 7D with a 100-400 telephoto plus a my GF2 and GH1 in it.

wheres my beer fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jul 19, 2012

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I have other bags for when I need more stuff, including the slightly smaller Chrome Citizen. The muzetto is for the stuff I want on my at all times—notepack, checkbook, IEM's, wallet, iPad/tablet, pens, flashlight, maybe a magazine, and just enough extra space for other random stuff if I need it.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Miso Beno posted:

Man, that's a small bag. My Chrome Metropolis is freaking huge. I regularly hide a gripped Canon 7D with a 100-400 telephoto plus a my GF2 and GH1 in it.

I have a Chrome Citizen and I have managed to secure a home for my E-P2 by using the internal velcro straps to attach a MOLLE magazine pouch. It fits my E-P2 with a 14mm lens attached, a 50mm prime, and a 75-300mm zoom with adapters and room for extra batteries or what have you. Leaves tons of room left over in the bag without poo poo bouncing around inside.

Works great I dunno what kind of organization you use though. I don't really get having any kind of bag that doesn't fit at least a laptop anymore.

edit: better picture

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jul 19, 2012

aluminumonkey
Jun 19, 2002

Reggie loves tacos

Schmerm posted:

Welp, I got an OM-D yesterday and so begins my journey into Micro 4/3rds land. I had to read many reviews to convince me that the "downgrade" from my APS-sized NEX sensor isn't that big a deal, especially combined with all the nice juicy features the OM-D offers (the image stabilization is awesome!).

With the 12-50 kit lens, the OM-D is kinda heavy for a mirrorless. The 20mm 1.7 pancake lens should fix that. I hope I can sell the kit lens for a reasonable price on craigslist or whatever.

I did the same thing. Just waiting for the store to call me when it comes in. My 20mm is sitting on my door step right now!

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

powderific posted:

Good lord, that is a nice bag.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's just as nice in person—I love it. Well worth the price.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

spog posted:

Good lord, that is a nice bag.

The best part is that they have a handy size comparison tool so you can find the best fit for your lifestyle.

I think the 10" and 11" bags hit the sweet spot for myself.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)
This is why I love the X100. No bag needed cause you ain't changing lenses. :-)

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

poopinmymouth posted:

This is why I love the X100. No bag needed cause you ain't changing lenses. :-)

It even fits in some pockets.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

If anyone wants in on some sweet NEX-7 action, I'm leaving the mirrorless world (as mentioned before) and selling my NEX-7 with spare battery, BlackRapid SnapR bag, kit lens, and official IR remote over here in this thread. I'm also selling the 16mm pancake with the 11mm adapter with a polarizer, and the NEX-oriented Sony Alpha flash that has 20 guide power.

Love the NEX-7, but I miss my EF-S lenses too much. :(

rio
Mar 20, 2008

The Canon mirrorless specs were leaked today.

quote:

Official product photos of Canon’s soon-to-arrive mirrorless camera — the EOS M — leaked late last week, and now the camera’s specs are following suit. Canon Rumors reports that the camera will feature an 18MP APS-C sensor, an ISO range of 100-12800 (expandable to 25,600), a 3-inch touchscreen, phase and contrast autofocus, autofocus during video recording, 1080p HD video, and various image enhancement features (twilight mode, creative filters, HDR, multi-shot noise reduction).

The system will also launch with an EF lens adapter, a new flash unit, and two lenses: the EF-M 22mm f/2 STM and the EF-M 18-55mm IS.

I wish the NEX had that pancake. I imagine this is only the beginning of the lens envying.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
What crazy magic did they use to get f/2 into that small of a lens?

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

rio posted:

The Canon mirrorless specs were leaked today.

There's even a video on it now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPyhM2x9gT8

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Beastruction posted:

What crazy magic did they use to get f/2 into that small of a lens?
Samsung has a pancake 30mm f/2 lens. I wish Sony would get with it and do something similar.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

HPL posted:

Samsung has a pancake 30mm f/2 lens. I wish Sony would get with it and do something similar.

30 is a more normal focal length though, don't wider angles usually have to use a more complicated design for the same aperture?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Beastruction posted:

30 is a more normal focal length though, don't wider angles usually have to use a more complicated design for the same aperture?

Not really, Panasonic has a 20mm/1.7 pancake.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Don't forget the tiny f2 in the X100!

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!

Cacator posted:

Don't forget the tiny f2 in the X100!

1st AD posted:

Not really, Panasonic has a 20mm/1.7 pancake.

Moral of the story, mirrorless allows for much shorter [cheap] high-performance primes. If Sony made a compact e-mount 30mm ~f1.8, I might never touch an SLR again. The closest we get is the (excellent) Sigma 30 f2.8, but that's far from pocketable. I don't know how they got the NEX bodies so right and got the lenses so, so wrong

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

HPL posted:

I wish Sony would get with it

I think it's going to have a fixed LCD, which is a bummer.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
So... the EOS M is basically a repackaged T4i that will cost $799 with the pancake lens...

http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/23/3176697/canons-eos-m-arrives-a-799-99-aps-c-mirrorless-camera-competitor

quote:

When we met with Canon, reps were careful to note what the EOS M is, and what it isn't. In the US, the company is positioning the EOS M as a video-first camera, designed to be something of a companion tool for videographers and cinematographers much the same way the G1 X is designed for pro shooters who want something smaller than their DSLR...

...Canon's not even calling the EOS M a "mirrorless camera," lest buyers be confused into thinking it's a NEX or Micro Four Thirds competitor. Though the camera's clearly capable of the same functionality as a NEX-F3 or an Olympus OM-D E-M5, Canon imagines a different user, one much more focused on video. If you want to step up from a point-and-shoot, reps said, buy a T4i...

...To that end, the EOS M will only be sold in specialty stores like B&H, where there's more guidance for camera buyers. Canon's clearly worried about cannibalizing its own products ...

...All of Canon's new products will be available in October. The EOS M and 22mm STM lens kit will cost $799.99, and will be available in black and white, though the white version will only be available online. The 18-55mm STM lens will cost $299.99, the mount adapter $199.99, and a new Speedlite will be $149.99...

Outside of the US they will apparently promote it more heavily as a mirrorless competitor. In any case, I won't pay $800 for this.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
$799 for the body and the 22mm lens sounds good to me.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
So it's a T4i without the articulating LCD and a lovely form factor and terrible controls, and it's only a little bit cheaper.

And let's be frank, when it comes to IQ there isn't a leap between the video modes from the T2i to the T4i. I'm pretty sure they look identical.

I don't mind the EOS M, I think it's overpriced and I'd rather get an RX-100, but all in all it seems like a decent camera. Why they decided to market it as a video camera is beyond me.

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro...
Canon obviously still only views Nikon as their competition. That arrogance will likely fail them in this particular arena. Too bad, there were a lot of ways they could have gone, this is barely even trying. Maybe next time.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Consider that back in the day a Contax T2 or something similar would have cost around $500, which in 2012 would be roughly the same price as the Canon EOS M.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

1st AD posted:

Why they decided to market it as a video camera is beyond me.

That baffles me too.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

krackmonkey posted:

Canon obviously still only views Nikon as their competition. That arrogance will likely fail them in this particular arena. Too bad, there were a lot of ways they could have gone, this is barely even trying. Maybe next time.

It is so disappointing to see them practically admit that they intentionally crippled it by omitting a viewfinder from it to protect the Rebel line. Not that it would do anything with all the touchscreen nonsense.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Its gonna be fun to hand hold the 70-200 on that thing and trying to use the lcd. Is there not even an EVF being released?

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

Its gonna be fun to hand hold the 70-200 on that thing and trying to use the lcd. Is there not even an EVF being released?

I'd imagine it'd be pretty easy actually- hold by the lens, tap to focus- or mount to a tripod via lens mount and tap to focus. I'm pretty excited for where it will be in another iteration or two if it sells well enough. I like the Nex 5n but the lenses aren't pancake-y enough for me.

unleash the unicorn
Dec 23, 2004

If this boat were sinking, I'd give my life to save you. Only because I like you, for reasons and standards of my own. But I couldn't and wouldn't live for you.

MarsellusWallace posted:

Moral of the story, mirrorless allows for much shorter [cheap] high-performance primes. If Sony made a compact e-mount 30mm ~f1.8, I might never touch an SLR again.

meh, not really.

Panasonic 20 (~40mm) 1.7 = 300-400 eurobucks
Canon 50 1.8 = 100 eurobucks

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

Don Lapre posted:

Apparently it doesn't even have a port to plug in an EVF.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

MarsellusWallace posted:

Moral of the story, mirrorless allows for much shorter [cheap] high-performance primes. If Sony made a compact e-mount 30mm ~f1.8, I might never touch an SLR again. The closest we get is the (excellent) Sigma 30 f2.8, but that's far from pocketable. I don't know how they got the NEX bodies so right and got the lenses so, so wrong

Probably because Sony as a whole from their computers to their smartphones to their game consoles to their cameras is all about good concepts and hardware and various degrees of poor execution.

I'd love a good pancake as well so I can actually take it around with me and take good photos. Right now, I can manage with the Sigma 30mm by putting it in my coat breast pocket. However, the coat is not an option during the summer particularly by midday and after.

Edward IV fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jul 24, 2012

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Well, a bit disappointing, but at least it isn't a K-01. I really love seeing the religious ones try to defend that abomination on the Pentax forums.

Usually it goes like:
:confused: So it is like a DSLR minus the viewfinder and phase detect autofocus.
:haw: But it mounts K-mount lenses!
:confused: But it could be half the thickness and have an adapter to mount them with full functionality.
:haw: But it mounts K-mount lenses!
:confused: But why pick this over a K-5?
:haw: There's thirty million K-mount lenses!

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 23, 2012

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I love this image:

edit:

:laugh:

unleash the unicorn
Dec 23, 2004

If this boat were sinking, I'd give my life to save you. Only because I like you, for reasons and standards of my own. But I couldn't and wouldn't live for you.
another thing I don't like about mirrorless cameras:

it's like having a very small penis (something I already know a lot about)

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I am so glad I didn't bother waiting to see if Canon would release a mirrorless camera as a step up from my s90 and bought a G3 instead.

Edit: Aside from buying the G3 as it was (and is) a joy to use and got good reviews for image quality etc. I know literally almost nothing about what I should look at in terms of a "not a kit" lens for it. From lurking in this forum primarily to enjoy the "terrible pictures from other photographers" thread I would guess that a pancake lens would be the best companion to it but any tips on a reasonable alternate lens?

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jul 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If I were you, I'd buy a 45-200mm and 20mm pancake used from an upstanding member of these forums who happens to be selling both at the moment. (They were great on my g2.)

But really, other than the pancake, which seems to be the number on recommendation, it depends on what you want to shoot with it.