Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

SplitSoul posted:

It was a problem with his mod, dunno if he ever fixed it.

Can't say I have had an issue with it, so probably?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

natlampe
Jul 10, 2001

What's the difference between Fallout_default.ini, Fallout.ini and FalloutPrefs.ini? Which one(s) do I have to edit to get the settings to stick? Is there a master ini?

The graphics settings that can be changed in New Vegas Options aren't in sync with a 3rd party program like New Vegas Configator 1.6.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

natlampe posted:

What's the difference between Fallout_default.ini, Fallout.ini and FalloutPrefs.ini? Which one(s) do I have to edit to get the settings to stick? Is there a master ini?

The graphics settings that can be changed in New Vegas Options aren't in sync with a 3rd party program like New Vegas Configator 1.6.

All three preferably, and I don't think there's any difference that I know of between them.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Vivec posted:

All three preferably, and I don't think there's any difference that I know of between them.

EDIT: There are differences and you should not modify your fallout_default.ini. In regards to the question, most of your edits will take place in the copies of fallout.ini and fallout_preferences.ini located in your "my documents" folder. However, even if these documents are set to read only, there are situations in which they can be overwritten when you start up steam. Because of this, it would be a good idea to make the necessary changes and then have copies of these, as well as the originals in your documents folder.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jul 22, 2012

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Hm, wasn't aware that defaults was not to be hosed with. I do know for a fact that the game launcher overwrites all your .ini settings though which is a huge pain in the rear end

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

There are differences and you should not modify your fallout_default.ini. In regards to the question, most of your edits will take place in the copies of fallout.ini and fallout_preferences.ini located in your "my documents" folder. However, even if these documents are set to read only, there are situations in which they can be overwritten when you start up steam. Because of this, it would be a good idea to make the necessary changes and then have copies of these, as well as the originals in your documents folder.

For the record, the OP still states that you should be editing fallout_default.ini.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

RichterIX posted:

For the record, the OP still states that you should be editing fallout_default.ini.

You're right, I had Fallout 3 on the brain for some reason. For Fo3 you shouldn't edit your fallout_default.ini (though this might have changed with the Steam version.). For FalloutNV, you can. Sorry, goons, for misleading you.

Now that my brain is refreshed, natlampe, let me give you a more accurate answer:

If you make changes to the fallout_default.ini in the Steam folder, it will use these as the template to overwriting changes in the fallout.ini and falloutprefs.ini in your "my documents" folder. Because of this, you should make a backup of it if you want to do any serious changes.

You can also make changes directly to the files in your "my documents" folder, but they will be automatically overwritten if you launch the game through the FalloutNVLauncher.exe (or through Steam, I think.) If you load the game through NVSE, FOMM, or FNV4GB.exe, these files will not be overwritten.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Davos posted:

Anyone know what "bugs" specifically occur when one attempts to start using the JE Sawyer mod mid-game?
In v4, I introduced potential conflicts by placing the Courier's Stash items around the Mojave Wasteland. If you've already visited those areas in your current game, the game will likely crash when you return there. If you're starting a new game or avoid those cells, you won't have a problem.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

It seems that the Simple Street Lights mod from the OP has been removed from Nexus. Would anyone happen to have that backed up somewhere?

Edit: Thanks a lot!

Andrast fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jul 22, 2012

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Is there a mod that bypasses the lockpicking/hacking screen and just does it if I meet the skill requirement?

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Andrast posted:

It seems that the Simple Street Lights mod from the OP has been removed from Nexus. Would anyone happen to have that backed up somewhere?

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/21453599/Simple_Street_Lights_v1_3-41777-1.rar

Beaumont
Dec 12, 2011

Upmarket Mango posted:

Is there a mod that bypasses the lockpicking/hacking screen and just does it if I meet the skill requirement?

I use Quick Hacking, but, unsurprisingly, it's just for hacking. I've used it before though, so I can vouch for it. While looking for it, though, I found this - Easy Unlocking - Easy Hacking - Easy Pickpocketing, which looks like it might be exactly what you're looking for. I'm giving it a try minus the pickpocketing esp. With the lockpicking, it just makes forcing the lock 100% successful.

Winter Rain
Jan 28, 2009
I've been trying to set up Mod Organizer with New Vegas, and it's mostly gone well. The only snag has been that MO has zero support for .fomod scripts, so I can't run the Unified HUD Project. I tried starting FOMM from within MO just to run the script, but FOMM refuses to see the virtual data directory. Anybody have any ideas?

natlampe
Jul 10, 2001

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

You can also make changes directly to the files in your "my documents" folder, but they will be automatically overwritten if you launch the game through the FalloutNVLauncher.exe (or through Steam, I think.) If you load the game through NVSE, FOMM, or FNV4GB.exe, these files will not be overwritten.
Thanks. I'm still not entirely clear on why New Vegas needs so many ini-files, but at least now I know where to edit.

Speaking of FNV4GB (the one with NVSE-support): I'm not a programmer, but both it and New Vegas Stutter Remover hook into something called GetTickCount (or timeGetTime in FNV4GB 1.2?). Will it cause problems that they try to do the same thing? Does this mean that New Vegas Stutter Remover isn't needed?

Horns
Nov 4, 2009

Upmarket Mango posted:

The JPEG compression kinda mucked up the images but it's still visible. The effect is even more pronounced while in motion.

This image turned out dark so I brightened it in Photoshop.

I'll give this a try.
Yup, I have this.

(look at the grass, powerlines, and bottom of the billboard; right click and 'view image' for the full size pic makes it easier to see)

I started playing NV right from day 1 (I had it preordered), which was in October '10. According to Steam, the first time I noticed the screen door textures and uploaded screenshots of it was in May '11, so it definitely wasn't there from the beginning. I've also rolled backwards through a dozen different drivers, including the ones that were installed on release day, testing to see if it was something on my end, and the problem is still there. Even disabling all mods and reinstalling NV didn't help. I'm positive that it was introduced in a patch at some point, and only for ATI cards. In all my searching, I haven't once seen someone with an Nvidia card have this issue.

Worst part is that disabling AA doesn't even work for me. The mesh-like textures are gone, but it also introduces a new problem: specific road textures start showing this weird black outline that fades as I get closer. It's super distracting.

Only way around it that worked for me was bumping up AA to x4. It seemed to do a decent job of making the mesh blend into a more solid texture. That didn't completely eliminate it, though, just covered it up. I can still see it if I'm looking for it.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

natlampe posted:

Thanks. I'm still not entirely clear on why New Vegas needs so many ini-files, but at least now I know where to edit.

Speaking of FNV4GB (the one with NVSE-support): I'm not a programmer, but both it and New Vegas Stutter Remover hook into something called GetTickCount (or timeGetTime in FNV4GB 1.2?). Will it cause problems that they try to do the same thing? Does this mean that New Vegas Stutter Remover isn't needed?

I use both and don't have any problems but, like you, am not a programmer who can promise that there aren't any conflicts. I can say that both seem to function, even when used together, and that FNV4GB doesn't do what the Stutter Remover does. The FNV4GB executable can increase stability, especially on games that are significantly modded, and reduce stuttering by simply giving the game more memory to work with. The Stutter Remover can reduce stuttering through some strange method I don't quite understand, but seems to work. It also comes with a framerate limiter, which allows you to cap your game at an arbitrary framerate.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Arenovalis posted:

Doing a new weapon for a change

Would you mind posting some wire frame images of your high poly models?

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
I seem to remember there being a goon edited version of the More Perks mod in the OP - was I imagining this?

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Beaumont posted:

I use Quick Hacking, but, unsurprisingly, it's just for hacking. I've used it before though, so I can vouch for it. While looking for it, though, I found this - Easy Unlocking - Easy Hacking - Easy Pickpocketing, which looks like it might be exactly what you're looking for. I'm giving it a try minus the pickpocketing esp. With the lockpicking, it just makes forcing the lock 100% successful.

Easy Unlocking/Hacking seems to be the best I'm going to get. Thank you :)

Horns posted:

Yup, I have this.

-snip, img-

(look at the grass, powerlines, and bottom of the billboard; right click and 'view image' for the full size pic makes it easier to see)

I started playing NV right from day 1 (I had it preordered), which was in October '10. According to Steam, the first time I noticed the screen door textures and uploaded screenshots of it was in May '11, so it definitely wasn't there from the beginning. I've also rolled backwards through a dozen different drivers, including the ones that were installed on release day, testing to see if it was something on my end, and the problem is still there. Even disabling all mods and reinstalling NV didn't help. I'm positive that it was introduced in a patch at some point, and only for ATI cards. In all my searching, I haven't once seen someone with an Nvidia card have this issue.

Worst part is that disabling AA doesn't even work for me. The mesh-like textures are gone, but it also introduces a new problem: specific road textures start showing this weird black outline that fades as I get closer. It's super distracting.

-snip, image-

Only way around it that worked for me was bumping up AA to x4. It seemed to do a decent job of making the mesh blend into a more solid texture. That didn't completely eliminate it, though, just covered it up. I can still see it if I'm looking for it.

Oh, I get the outlines too and I agree, it's super distracting. I mentioned it earlier, but disabling ingame AA and forcing it through my graphics card pretty much eliminated the transparency issue for me. In addition to that I've got anisotropic filtering set to x15 in the launcher and that seems to have helped the black outline issue a little, but it's definitely still there.

I seem to recall the same issue with the outline being present in Fallout 3 and that there was a mod that got rid of it, but I haven't been able to find anything similar for New Vegas. It's something to do with decals.

Arenovalis
Dec 8, 2010

Oh, no, I said, "steamed hams." That's what I call hamburgers.

Luminaflare posted:

Would you mind posting some wire frame images of your high poly models?

Here you go, here's the interpolated (smoothed) basemesh for the high poly with isoline display on (the actual resulting wireframe would obviously be way too dense to capture properly)

Hope this is what you had in mind!

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION

I mean come on dude at least break eye contact if you're going to do that.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Rather Dashing posted:

I seem to remember there being a goon edited version of the More Perks mod in the OP - was I imagining this?

I was the one that did it, but I never threw it up the in the OP. It's vastly outdated now, if you can even find a copy of it.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Is there a mod that removes gender limitations on hairstyles, so I could have a female courier with a pompadour or a dude who looks like a ~domestic goddess~? Or is there some weird mesh issues that would make that impossible?

Saints Crow
Aug 25, 2006

Johnny is the name for God on the lips and hearts of all bangers

Ok, so I've got all my mods working, no longer crashing at load etc. The only problem is I can't use the Project Nevade OWB patch because the fomod for Project Nevada keeps installing Project Nevada OWB (No Cyberware) and the patch requires the normal esp. I've checked the archive though, and the normal esp is the only one there. Is there any way to fix this beyond not using the patch?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Rename the esp to whatever the patch is looking for? Assuming that it isn't expecting something that is removed in the No Cyberware version.

Saints Crow
Aug 25, 2006

Johnny is the name for God on the lips and hearts of all bangers

The problem is that the esp that the patch is looking for Project Nevada - Old World Blues, and that is what the file is named in the archive, but FOMM keeps showing it as Project Nevada - Old World Blues (No Cyberware) and it is causing the patch to see it as not there. I don't know how to get FOMM to display it right.

EDIT: Turns out I was just looking in the wrong archive. That file comes from PN DLC support, and that has both files, but just installs the first. I just need to remove the ones I don't want.

Saints Crow fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jul 23, 2012

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Crowetron posted:

Is there a mod that removes gender limitations on hairstyles, so I could have a female courier with a pompadour or a dude who looks like a ~domestic goddess~? Or is there some weird mesh issues that would make that impossible?

I think there was a mod like this for FO3, maybe you can port it if you can find it. But beyond that I think it requires some loving around with .egm files through a third party application or something, the hairstyles must be made to conform to the head mesh or you'll have wacky clipping issues.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Does anyone know of a mod that is compatible with Project Nevada/WMX that adds Weapon Mods to NPC inventories?

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive

bunnielab posted:

Has anyone messed with Practice Makes Perfect?

As one of the seemingly few people who likes the "use a skill, improve a skill" mechanic it interests the hell out of me.

No but now I really want to use it. From a mechanics standpoint I think it's vastly superior...I just wish those systems would allow for skill deterioration though, since the result otherwise is a god character.

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

Not sure if this is the right place to ask for advice, but I'm running into crashing problems. They only happen every hour or so, and usually on loading screens but occasionally in the middle of nowhere. The radio stutters, but everything else freezes. Here's what I'm using:

FalloutNV.esm
DeadMoney.esm
HonestHearts.esm
More Perks.esm
OldWorldBlues.esm
LonesomeRoad.esm
GunRunnersArsenal.esm
ClassicPack.esm
MercenaryPack.esm
TribalPack.esm
CaravanPack.esm
More Traits.esm
NSkies URWLified.esm
NVInteriors_Core.esm
NVInteriors_ComboEdition.esm
Interior Lighting Overhaul - Core.esm
Project Nevada - Core.esm
Project Nevada - Rebalance.esp
Project Nevada - Cyberware.esp
Project Nevada - Equipment.esm
Mission Mojave - Ultimate Edition.esp
DarNifiedUINV.esp
More Perks Update.esp
More Traits Update.esp
MMUE-CP-PNCore.esp
NSkies URWLifiedOWB.esp
NSkies URWLifiedHH.esp
NSkies URWLifiedDM.esp
Interior Lighting Overhaul - Ultimate Edition.esp
ILO - PipBoy Light.esp
ILO - NSkies URWLified Patch.esp
BetterGamePerformanceV4.esp
ExtendedNVRadio.esp

Total active plugins: 33
Total plugins: 37

Windows 7 64 bit, 3gb RAM, dual core 2.9ghz, nvidia gtx 560. I ran this pretty well at release, so either there's a fix I'm forgetting or one of my mods is screwing this up.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

Gyshall posted:

Does anyone know of a mod that is compatible with Project Nevada/WMX that adds Weapon Mods to NPC inventories?

I thought this was part of the compatibility patch for those two mods? All I know is that Lobotomites in OWB spawned with several vanilla and WMX mods, though I'm in Zion now and I haven't seen a mod in a while.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Gyshall posted:

Like Emerson Cod said, unless I'm misunderstanding the question, WMX should already be doing this (adding mods to NPCs and loot.)

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Hm. I must have hosed something up in my merged patch, then.

e: I did. Oops.

Also - aside from The Secret Stash, what other Radio Mods extend the vanilla stations?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Gyshall posted:

Hm. I must have hosed something up in my merged patch, then.

e: I did. Oops.

Also - aside from The Secret Stash, what other Radio Mods extend the vanilla stations?

Since I just wanted to expand the variety on the vanilla stations, I ended up using Radio New Vegas Extended for RNV and Mojave Radio - Extended for Mojave Radio. The music they add is alright, if unremarkable. It does a good job breaking up the monotony of "Johnny Guitar" and ambient music, though.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
Heya. I was hoping someone could tell me if there's a recommended set of basic mods. Things that you might describe as "should have been in the game in the first place". I've played through the base game once but the only mod I used was an inventory manager to group together item types like ammo, food, chems, and so forth (which I could also use).

Sorry if you guys get this question a lot.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Yip Yips posted:

Heya. I was hoping someone could tell me if there's a recommended set of basic mods. Things that you might describe as "should have been in the game in the first place". I've played through the base game once but the only mod I used was an inventory manager to group together item types like ammo, food, chems, and so forth (which I could also use).

Sorry if you guys get this question a lot.

Well, we do, but then we always point people to the OP. 'Cuz it's a really well done up that's kept up to date constantly with more or less the best mods. From there it's up to you to decide what you feel should have been in the game in the first place.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
I read the OP but the descriptions of a lot of the mods don't give a lot of details. A lot of the mod pages are crazy long so I got tired after an hour and posted that. Guess I'll just stick it out.

Midrena
May 2, 2009

Yip Yips posted:

I read the OP but the descriptions of a lot of the mods don't give a lot of details. A lot of the mod pages are crazy long so I got tired after an hour and posted that. Guess I'll just stick it out.

I was in the same boat as you a few days ago, and I found these posts steered me in the right direction:

QuantaStarFire posted:

Mission Mojave is the "unofficial patch" as far as I'm aware. Grab The Armory for a shitload of additional guns, and Police Automaton's Armor compilation for a bunch of armors, as well as one of the Weapon Mod mods for a bunch of additional weapon mods for vanilla guns. Grab Arenovalis' weapon retextures to make a bunch of the vanilla guns look really pretty. Grab RobCo Certified if you want to be able to build tons of different robots. Grab a UI mod (I recommend DarNified UI) for a better interface. Grab Right To Bear Arms if you want guns from the Gun Runner's Arsenal DLC to spawn on NPCs (who will then shoot you with them). Get Invisible Wall Remover to remove all the invisible walls that plague the game. CASM will help with managing your saves. Project Nevada will add a bunch of new cybernetic implants and other fun stuff for you to play with, and restore some FO3 guns.

Oh, and you'll probably need New Vegas Script Extender for everything.

That's all I can think of if you don't want to stray into "overhaul EVERYTHING" territory with things like JSawyer and the like. Project Nevada has a rebalance mod, but it's entirely optional and can be reconfigured back to vanilla stats on a whim.

Dweller posted:

That seems kinda heavy for a first playthough, especially if you're looking to keep a fairly vanilla experience. The only mod I'd say is essential is DarNified UI or something similar just to make the interface less of a chore. CASM might be convenient but I can't vouch for it personally. Just play the game and remember you've got the opportunity to add a bunch more stuff any time you'd like.

Antignition posted:

I found fallout 3 and NV way too easy to begin with. The in-game difficulty slider is just a flat change of damage you take vs. damage enemies take, which just makes the game more tedious and gives you bullet-sponge enemies.

I'd say [JSawyer's mod is] worth it on a vanilla playthrough if you like having to use more of your resources and money to get by. Without it I find you turn into a demigod with thousands upon thousands of caps you'll never spend and ammo up the wazoo and the game stops being very challenging around the 3rd city you visit.

(list of changes JSawyer's mod does)

As for other mods I recommend for a vanilla playthrough:

Manual Reload
Darn's UI
Delay DLC - sucks getting bombarded with these quests as soon as you start the game
More Realistic Aiming
Arenovalis's Weapon retextures (only texture mod I'd say is mandatory for a first playthrough)

If you think the nights are too drat bright:
Nights are Darker (3 settings to choose from) - if you like the 25% version there is another modder who updated that part, look for the link in the comment section on the nexus.

In the end I went for:

Of course I have a few other things that I liked the sound of (Cinematech/Imaginator/Dynavision/Director's Chair, RoboCertified, Manual reload, Simple street lights, Faction ID Cards, etc.), but you get the idea for the more 'major' ones in the list above.

Midrena fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Jul 24, 2012

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
^ Very cool. Thanks a bunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Arenovalis posted:

Here you go, here's the interpolated (smoothed) basemesh for the high poly with isoline display on (the actual resulting wireframe would obviously be way too dense to capture properly)

Hope this is what you had in mind!

Thanks, that's great.

Edit: How do you make the weld seams? They look really good.

Luminaflare fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Jul 24, 2012