Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

ahhh spiders posted:

prototyping ftw

prototyping is great until you end up somewhere that is institutionally incapable of producing version 2 of anything and everything they have is a prototype rushed into production.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>
wyh yes, of course im writing this with the intention of throwing it away...

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
nearly every it job i've had has come through a recommendation by a friend, except this one, which I found on python.org

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
is that like monster.com

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

rotor posted:

prototyping is great until you end up somewhere that is institutionally incapable of producing version 2 of anything and everything they have is a prototype rushed into production.

without being all no true scotsman, that's doing it wrong. the thing people forget is that you need to focus on loose coupling rather than extensibility.

i throw most of my prototype code away, just not all at once :3:

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

ahhh spiders posted:

is that like monster.com

http://www.python.org/community/jobs/

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

tef posted:

without being all no true scotsman, that's doing it wrong. the thing people forget is that you need to focus on loose coupling rather than extensibility.

i throw most of my prototype code away, just not all at once :3:

no i mean like as soon as the bare bones is there quick time to move on to something else, we'll patch that ugly poo poo later (the ugly poo poo never gets patched)

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

rotor posted:

no i mean like as soon as the bare bones is there quick time to move on to something else, we'll patch that ugly poo poo later (the ugly poo poo never gets patched)

does that not happen at every company

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

ahhh spiders posted:

does that not happen at every company

i think half

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

rotor posted:

you have to hunt down and fix the ugly poo poo, or have good technical leadership where making things better for the sake of making it better is encouraged

use automated testing to make fixing lovely stuff low-risk

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'

rotor posted:

this is me right now

all application architecture has to be done secretly without the boss knowing

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

rotor posted:

I should probably check the logs for this one, but I just did this while adding features :confused:

passionate dongs posted:

this is me right now

all application architecture has to be done secretly without the boss knowing

no, you just need to spread out the tidying up amongst your feature tasks.

incremental development anyone? throw in loose coupling and it's easy to replace parts wholesale later on when necessary

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

tef posted:

no, you just need to spread out the tidying up amongst your feature tasks.

incremental development anyone? throw in loose coupling and it's easy to replace parts wholesale later on when necessary

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
loose coupling is when you actually encapsulate things, it isn't unique to any language, it just requires discipline. it's not exactly a magic wand, it turns out writing large software is hard and error prone, but it doesn't mean it is impossible.

i'm trying not to go full on erlang here (I don't use it), but I've found processes and ipc superior to objects and classes for encapsulation. it's easier to write robust things when your software stops having global mutable state.

it really is about discipline though, most software is rotten from the day it started, and continues in that fashion.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

BonzoESC posted:

you have to hunt down and fix the ugly poo poo, or have good technical leadership where making things better for the sake of making it better is encouraged

use automated testing to make fixing lovely stuff low-risk
oh except in the case of an improvised prototype you typ do not have isolatable components for testing whoops

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Gazpacho posted:

oh except in the case of an improvised prototype you typ do not have isolatable components for testing whoops

get better at making prototypes

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

BonzoESC posted:

get better at making prototypes
well that would kinda require the opportunity to revisit your mistakes wouldnt it

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
quotin time

quote:

If a project offered a value of 10 times its estimated cost, no one would care if the actual cost to get it done were double the estimate. On the other hand, if expected value were only 10 percent greater than expected cost, lateness would be a disaster.

Yes it would be a disaster, but instead of obsessing over “What’s the matter with those software folks who didn’t deliver on the schedule we gave them?” we need to ask instead “Why did we ever kick off a project with such marginal expected value?”

The louder the complaints about project lateness, the more likely it is that the project set out to deliver marginal value and was therefore kicked off under the false premise that it could be completed on the cheap. What’s really wrong with us software folks is that we’re continually beating ourselves up for something that’s somebody else’s fault.

so yeah, prototypes being rushed into production is a consequence of software on the cheap

also, when managers talk about 'A programmers' they mean people who will work long hours for little to no pay. (and the whole 10x productivity thing is bunk too)

tef fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jul 23, 2012

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Gazpacho posted:

well that would kinda require the opportunity to revisit your mistakes wouldnt it

you will get plenty of opportunity to revisit your mistakes in future projects. if you're lucky, you can make different mistakes.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
and besides that "testing"????? that academic poo poo's not going to impress the senior management, go implement this next batch of features and stop talkin crazy

yes i'm ragging on my prev employer again

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
do you ask your boss every time you write a for loop? why would you ask permission to write tests?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

tef posted:

also, when managers talk about 'A programmers' they mean people who will work long hours for little to no pay. (and the whole 10x productivity thing is bunk too)

so true

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
having a shitload of unit tests owns

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
thinking something you wrote is perfect, then writing a unit test that breaks it, ftw

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
my plan is to write book of obvious aphorisms and truths about the software industry, and use it to push my lovely products.

and when i'm stuck, i'll just quote tom de marco, just like I did earlier

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
i still remember back in school i had a prolog assignment where i had to write some code, and write unit tests for it. the TA used my unit tests to break a bunch of other peoples code, it was pretty cool

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

tef posted:

my plan is to write book of obvious aphorisms and truths about the software industry, and use it to push my lovely products.

and when i'm stuck, i'll just quote tom de marco, just like I did earlier

this is seriously a viable career thing and you're pretty good at it.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

ahhh spiders posted:

thinking something you wrote is perfect, then writing a unit test that breaks it, ftw

if only testing and logging weren't the shittiest frameworks in every language

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

tef posted:

ugh, logging frameworks

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

god cerr is so hard this is a huge pain in the butt, i need a framework

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
i use android junit with some addons for mimicking a users finger and it's alright. ios unit testing seems to work pretty similarly

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

tef posted:

do you ask your boss every time you write a for loop? why would you ask permission to write tests?
daily scrum/status, what did you do yesterday? oh i picked my nose for 4 hours (not really i was testing my latest feature)

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Gazpacho posted:

daily scrum/status, what did you do yesterday? oh i picked my nose for 4 hours (not really i was testing my latest feature)

"I wrote some code and then I found a couple of bugs, I haven't solved them yet, but i've updated the ticket with the details."

why do you bother mentioning that you're writing tests. next you'll be telling people that you compiled it and you found a syntax error.

hey boss, can I fix this syntax error, it's stopping me from doing my work

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
is this so goddam hard? you're meant to manage the details, not enumerate them

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i'll recommend you for the job if you want it

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
did you just tell me to go gently caress myself?

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

tef posted:

did you just tell me to go gently caress myself?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

tef posted:

ruby testing frameworks get ridiculous and I'm talking about bloated rear end rspec

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

anything in java seem to get stricken with massive bloat

take jedis, it takes this simple as poo poo protocol (http://redis.io/topics/protocol) and bloats it out to 15000 lines of java with an extra 6500 lines of tests.

or slf4j which is a facade around a bunch of other logging frameworks, it's 20-bloody-12 why not add some variadic versions of the logging statements (that library can be replaced with 120 lines of java wrapping around log4j which do the same thing, sigh)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

"Who's cool and has two thumbs? This guy!"

rotor posted:

ugh, logging frameworks

I'm loving sentry and raven for python.