Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Ebay question:

Do people only ever bid by sniping now?

I put a computer game up and it sat with zero bids for the whole week, then had 6 different bidders in the last minute.

I've got a camera lens on the last day of a week-long auction and though it has 29 watchers, it only has a single bid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
Zidane would be read Gee Dah Nay by a Japanese person since neither the sound represented by 'sea' or 'zee' exist in native Japanese. ジダネ (Gee-Dah-Nay) would be how it would be read by someone speaking Japanese, were it not already written as ジタン/Jitan (Gee-Tahn) in kana.

Then again we call it Carry-Oakey, so mispronouncing Japanese is not such a big deal, nor is writing words in English letters a strong point of Japanese trying to get us to say those words right. If it had been transliterated as Jitan from ジタン it would have probably had a consistent pronunciation.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Indeed. I still thought of it as "Zee-dah-nay" afterward, professor.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

kapalama posted:

Zidane would be read Gee Dah Nay by a Japanese person since neither the sound represented by 'sea' or 'zee' exist in native Japanese. ジダネ (Gee-Dah-Nay) would be how it would be read by someone speaking Japanese, were it not already written as ジタン/Jitan (Gee-Tahn) in kana.

Then again we call it Carry-Oakey, so mispronouncing Japanese is not such a big deal, nor is writing words in English letters a strong point of Japanese trying to get us to say those words right. If it had been transliterated as Jitan from ジタン it would have probably had a consistent pronunciation.

Holy poo poo he was talking about how he pronounced it in his head after studying Japanese, not how it is pronounced in Japan.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

spog posted:

Ebay question:

Do people only ever bid by sniping now?

I put a computer game up and it sat with zero bids for the whole week, then had 6 different bidders in the last minute.

I've got a camera lens on the last day of a week-long auction and though it has 29 watchers, it only has a single bid.

I have largely given up on longer auctions for just that reason. Since almost everyone interested seems to only bid with a few minutes left, the longer auctions only function is to increase exposure. And if it is a common item, exposure does not really help get better prices, and may serve to drive the snipers to another item ending sooner. With rare items, longer auctions may still be worthwhile since you have to find the buyers.

If only Craigslist had not become so overrun by Nigerian Princes, I'd give up on selling on eBay.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
As an Amurrrrcan who has never played Fairy Fantastic or whatever, I'd say it "Zee-dayne" :clint: Anyway shh shh there's no need to be mad about it friends.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Back on topic: Stupid question time!

Why is your name Eggplant Wizard when your avatar is peanut butter -- or vice versa? Or is it really eggplant butter?

Or... are you a wizard who can make peanut butter taste like eggplant?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

tarepanda posted:

Back on topic: Stupid question time!

Why is your name Eggplant Wizard when your avatar is peanut butter -- or vice versa? Or is it really eggplant butter?

Or... are you a wizard who can make peanut butter taste like eggplant?

more importantly, why are your powers no longer effective against butts?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
So I'm trying to think of this Saturday morning cartoon I watched as a kid. I keep thinking it is Batman Beyond but after going over the episode list, that doesn't seem to be the case.
I distinctly remember an episode with 2 nerdy disposal guys that were dreaming about being super heroes and as they are delivering a shipment of toxic waste decide to coat themselves in it then find the most amazing thing they can get in contact with to mutate. They start feeling sick while driving around, wreck the truck and one of them flies into an aquarium shop and the other into a construction site I think. The aquarium guy becomes a useless fish, retaining some distinctive facial qualities. The other guy becomes some crazy cement/sand/mud type guy and they end up tagging along together and wrecking poo poo.

Was I crazy and dreamed this up or is this something real? In which case, what the hell is it?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Um I am Eggplant Wizard because of a GWS namechange oh so many years ago. My avatar is peanut butter because it's nice! My powers against butts are still totally effective. They're just better hidden now. It's like how Jean Grey is called Jean Grey and not "Telepathic Lady Who'll gently caress Up Your poo poo." My butt powers are a surprise.

Zewle
Aug 12, 2005
Delaware Defense Force Janitor
Is there anything or way to utilize the excess heat of a PC? The space heater effect would be nicer in winter I suppose.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Can domesticated dog breeds reproduce with wolves?

Zewle
Aug 12, 2005
Delaware Defense Force Janitor

Torka posted:

Can domesticated dog breeds reproduce with wolves?

Yes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolfdog

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

Windows (7)/networking question. If it's too convoluted I'll take it to SH/SC, but for now-- here.

I live in a shared apartment and I want to share my media drive (M:) publicly on the network.

I also have two computers of my own, and I want to share work/other files between my computers only, without them being seen on the network (or, if they're seen, I want them to be password-locked).

I put the media stuff in Homegroup, and shared the work folders separately, but as soon as I enable sharing in Homegroup it makes all of my other shared stuff public (meaning, no password to log in).

How can I set up these different tiers of security?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

kapalama posted:

I have largely given up on longer auctions for just that reason. Since almost everyone interested seems to only bid with a few minutes left, the longer auctions only function is to increase exposure. And if it is a common item, exposure does not really help get better prices, and may serve to drive the snipers to another item ending sooner. With rare items, longer auctions may still be worthwhile since you have to find the buyers.

If only Craigslist had not become so overrun by Nigerian Princes, I'd give up on selling on eBay.

Ta, glad to hear it is not just me.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

couldcareless posted:

So I'm trying to think of this Saturday morning cartoon I watched as a kid. I keep thinking it is Batman Beyond but after going over the episode list, that doesn't seem to be the case.
I distinctly remember an episode with 2 nerdy disposal guys that were dreaming about being super heroes and as they are delivering a shipment of toxic waste decide to coat themselves in it then find the most amazing thing they can get in contact with to mutate. They start feeling sick while driving around, wreck the truck and one of them flies into an aquarium shop and the other into a construction site I think. The aquarium guy becomes a useless fish, retaining some distinctive facial qualities. The other guy becomes some crazy cement/sand/mud type guy and they end up tagging along together and wrecking poo poo.

Was I crazy and dreamed this up or is this something real? In which case, what the hell is it?

An episode of The Mask: The Animated Series, The Terrible Twos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONN91WvzRCU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
A Facebook question: is it possible to tag someone as "with" you for an entire album at once? I uploaded my honeymoon pictures via Picasa, so my wife is tagged in some, but it'd be nice for her friends and family who aren't all friends with me to be able to see the whole album. Barring this, is there a way for her to just share the whole album on her page?

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

MrGreenShirt posted:

How did this ever get movies made?

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

The cartoon is based on the movie, not the other way around. The movie was also based on a previous comic book if I'm not mistaken.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Zewle posted:

Is there anything or way to utilize the excess heat of a PC? The space heater effect would be nicer in winter I suppose.

I guess you could fry up some chips?

Or maybe make a food dehydrator out of your bitcoin rig?

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

hooah posted:

A Facebook question: is it possible to tag someone as "with" you for an entire album at once? I uploaded my honeymoon pictures via Picasa, so my wife is tagged in some, but it'd be nice for her friends and family who aren't all friends with me to be able to see the whole album. Barring this, is there a way for her to just share the whole album on her page?

I do not know about the tagging bit, but if you go to the album page, where you can see the thumbnails of all of the pictures in it, you should have the usual like and share links, so you can share it on her wall. I can see them below the pictures and below the description in my albums.

ASIC v Danny Bro
May 1, 2012

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
CAPTAIN KILL

Just HEAPS of dead Palestinnos for brekkie, mate!
How can I be more attentive, more "sharp" as to ask the right questions when I'm assigned a task? I ask this because I was at work experience, and we had so much information that me and my other buddy (there were only two of us). I know I learn from making mistakes, but I'd also like to develop skills which requires foresight.

How should I go about this?

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

kapalama posted:

If they follow the French pronunciation, they'd go for "Jidan" or "Jidanu."

WillieWestwood fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jul 23, 2012

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
A question about an iPhone: when my brother was shopping around for a new smartphone, a clerk discouraged him from buying an iPhone, because apparently "there are no free apps" and "the first thing upon registering the phone and using the store is registering a credit card". That and it was a 3GS, but newer versions would presumably have only paid apps either. So, is it true?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
No that's not true. As a 3 second google would've shown. You do need a credit card to activate your account in the store though, but you can remove it later: Here's a thread. Or use a one-time debit card or something, that will work as well IIRC.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I did do a Google search, but the results were directly contradictory to what the guy said, and I wasn't sure :saddowns: I wonder why did the clerk choose to spread misinformation, oh well.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Szurumbur posted:

I wonder why did the clerk choose to spread misinformation, oh well.

Industry politics and a desire to slow down the Apple juggernaut by any means necessary (not necessarily on the part of the clerk, but whoever ordered him to try to dissuade buyers from iPhones).

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

ASIC v Danny Bro posted:

How can I be more attentive, more "sharp" as to ask the right questions when I'm assigned a task? I ask this because I was at work experience, and we had so much information that me and my other buddy (there were only two of us). I know I learn from making mistakes, but I'd also like to develop skills which requires foresight.

How should I go about this?

I don't have advice because I have this problem too. Some of us just can't think through a problem far enough quickly to be able to see things in the future on the spot. I've learned to give myself time to get back to the person with further questions after I've had time to percolate on the problem for a little while.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Szurumbur posted:

I did do a Google search, but the results were directly contradictory to what the guy said, and I wasn't sure :saddowns: I wonder why did the clerk choose to spread misinformation, oh well.
He lied because he gets more commission / bonus / spiff and his company makes more money by selling any other phone than an iPhone.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

MrGreenShirt posted:

I never would have guessed this. Thank you so much.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I purchased a shirt from H&M that has an unhemmed scalloped edge at the bottom of the shirt. How the hell do I hem it while keeping the scalloped look, or at least keep it from unraveling in the washing machine?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Wedemeyer posted:

I purchased a shirt from H&M that has an unhemmed scalloped edge at the bottom of the shirt. How the hell do I hem it while keeping the scalloped look, or at least keep it from unraveling in the washing machine?

Here's how I would hem the shirt itself for structure's sake, while still keeping the scallop exposed:

The scallop itself might still be at risk of unravelling, no idea how to fix that \/:shobon:\/

Question:
imgur gives me problems 80% of the time, where it either gets stuck on 0% or on 100% of the progress bar.
Sometimes doing it in internet explorer works though, even while trying it in firefox before and after doesn't :confused:
does anyone else have similar problems?

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
I don't own a printer but I want to print a handful of webpages (mostly recipes) and maybe bind them, what's the best place/way to get this done, I'm in the UK.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
How do I mount a simple canvass painting like this one onto typical drywall? It came with those flat wooden pieces too.

Also, there's a small vertical tear in the middle behind the wood piece in the middle. Should I just scotch tape the back?

Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!
I have a question regarding passports.

I had mine processed on July 2nd through the local university, and the lady there sent in a COPY of my birth certificate instead of my ACTUAL birth certificate. She called to tell us about it later the next day, and we didn't hear anything from the passport office (calling them didn't help, as the help desk people had no way of knowing where the application would be processed through) until we heard from the office themselves. On July 12th, I got a letter in the mail from the Passport Agency that said that they needed me to send in my actual birth certificate to finish processing it. The university graciously overnighted it for us and now we've still been.. waiting.

The problem is this: I paid for expedited service to get it before August, or within the first week of August, as I am traveling out of the country around the 10th or so and kind of need this passport. That being said, does anyone know how long to expect on this passport?

Nickelodeon Household
Apr 11, 2010

I like chocolate MIIIILK

Ziji posted:

Passports

Have you checked the status of your passport application? FYI: expedited typically only takes 2-3 weeks assuming you paid for overnight delivery to and from.

Coffee Wolf
Oct 12, 2007

Mmmmm Banana

Crankit posted:

I don't own a printer but I want to print a handful of webpages (mostly recipes) and maybe bind them, what's the best place/way to get this done, I'm in the UK.

US here, but if your public libraries there offer computers w/printer you could do that (here they charge a small amount per page) or some office supply place might exist there that could do it, like how if I wanted to I could at Staples near me.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
wall heater gas danger question:

I have a wall-mounted gas heater that is controlled by a thermostat. It is currently hot as all hell here in the summer so it's just got the pilot light on. the pilot light is bigger than it has any right to be though so it actually generates a fair amount of heat.

I blew it out because it was contributing some heat still that we don't need. The house is VERY, VERY well ventilated with about four fans running, two large fans moving air through the passageway in which this heater is. I wonder if the gas from the pilot light would be enough to cause health/fire/any problems, and I should just light it again?

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

redreader posted:

wall heater gas danger question:

I have a wall-mounted gas heater that is controlled by a thermostat. It is currently hot as all hell here in the summer so it's just got the pilot light on. the pilot light is bigger than it has any right to be though so it actually generates a fair amount of heat.

I blew it out because it was contributing some heat still that we don't need. The house is VERY, VERY well ventilated with about four fans running, two large fans moving air through the passageway in which this heater is. I wonder if the gas from the pilot light would be enough to cause health/fire/any problems, and I should just light it again?

No way to know without your model but most water heaters have a "thermocouple" so when the pilot is out it stops the flow of gas to the pilot. Of course the proper/safest way to do things would be to simply turn off the gas completely.

E: No matter how ventilated you are if you have any reason to believe there is still gas coming out you are in a VERY unsafe situation!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!

spregalia posted:

Have you checked the status of your passport application? FYI: expedited typically only takes 2-3 weeks assuming you paid for overnight delivery to and from.

Yeah, and all it would show is that the passport application had been received, nothing about the ETA of it being done or anything. What's weirder though is I did it again just now to see what it would say, and it says that the application can't be found. I don't know if that's good.. or bad.