Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Does anyone have any info or links to info about how much exercise is too much/what types of exercise can inhibit actually conceiving? I'm not sure if that actually is a thing or not, but my husband and I area fairly active and I want to make sure that anything I'm doing isn't actively hurting our chances.

Also, bee, my face has started to breakout again :( . Like being 14 all over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Schweig und tanze posted:

Sorry to tell you that pregnancy causes breakouts too :saddowns: I'm 10 weeks in and it's starting to get really bad for the first time since I was 16.

Yep. I never really had acne problems as a teenager, but I've had permanent breakouts on my temples for the past couple of months. The joys of pregnancy.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

quote:

ZITS

Oh drat. I guess if that's the price to be paid... I'll just HTFU and try my best to not let it get me down! Thanks all the same for letting me know.

sheri posted:

Does anyone have any info or links to info about how much exercise is too much/what types of exercise can inhibit actually conceiving?

I asked my doctor about this myself as I'm somewhat into weight training and cycling, and he said that I was best to just keep up my normal routine. He said it's probably not a good idea to start up a new exercise or routine I'm not previously accustomed to, but otherwise to keep up whatever I was doing previously as being active and healthy is considered to be helpful in aiding conception.

bee fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jul 23, 2012

Bambina
Sep 25, 2007
I said no biting
Or it could swing the other way!

I've had terrible skin since I was a teenager, Roaccutane twice and being on the pill stabilised it. Came off the pill after 12 years to try and get pregnant, skin revolting again, covered in acne, bluurgh. Got pregnant (I'm 33 weeks now, yeah I know I'm in the wrong thread!), and immediately skin cleared up - and I mean REALLY cleared up. For my entire pregnancy thus far, my face has never looked so beautiful. It's bliss.

So you never know!

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

The fun thing with pregnancy acne is you can't use normal acne face washes!

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Why not? I'm currently using cetaphil and hadn't considered that there cold be anything harmful in it.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

bee posted:

Why not? I'm currently using cetaphil and hadn't considered that there cold be anything harmful in it.

You're not suppose to use anything with salicylic acids in it when you're pregnant. If you have any questions about what you're using is safe, you should ask your OB.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

My face was much better during the short time I was pregnant than it has been for most of my adult life. Post-miscarriage it's been awful.

As for exercise and getting pregnant, you want to avoid doing so much exercise that you aren't ovulating. And high impact exercise can potentially be problematic, but the research isn't very clear, especially for women without any known fertility issues. Moderate amounts of low-impact exercises (walking, biking, weight training, etc.) are fine.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Alterian posted:

You're not suppose to use anything with salicylic acids in it when you're pregnant. If you have any questions about what you're using is safe, you should ask your OB.

Oh crap.. that's about 3/4 of my skin care products. At least I've found out before getting pregnant. Thanks thread, I am learning so much already :)

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Is there any website that has a somewhat comprehensive list of items/foods/chemicals/activities/etc to avoid during pregnancy?

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)
This has a pretty good list, even if some of the stuff seems stupidly obvious: http://www.babycenter.com/is-it-safe

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
Motherisk is a great evidence-based resource - it's searchable, and it often points you right to the actual research so that you can read the studies themselves, if that's your thing.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Reading what you can and can't do/take/eat when you're pregnant on the internet is really scary because some people will say its fine and other people will say your baby will be born with flippers if you do that particular thing. If you have any questions, its best to bring it up with your doctor so you don't freak out.

I gave up trying to figure out what herbal teas are ok and not ok to drink and just drink water instead.

Scenty
Feb 8, 2008

Alterian posted:

Reading what you can and can't do/take/eat when you're pregnant on the internet is really scary because some people will say its fine and other people will say your baby will be born with flippers if you do that particular thing. If you have any questions, its best to bring it up with your doctor so you don't freak out.

I gave up trying to figure out what herbal teas are ok and not ok to drink and just drink water instead.

Oh no! I have already given up my precious coffee. I don't want to have to give up my tea as well!

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Green tea is a giant no no. I think regular tea is ok as long as you don't drink too much because of the caffine, but herbal teas are just a mixed bag that's a pain to deal with. Peppermint is ok. Chamomile is ok.

Cpt Thorne
Apr 13, 2009

Alterian posted:

I guess that goes for everything post and past pregnancy, don't believe anything people say, trust doctors and you are fine. Everyone will have their (subjective) opinion on any given topic.

Scenty
Feb 8, 2008

Alterian posted:

Green tea is a giant no no. I think regular tea is ok as long as you don't drink too much because of the caffine, but herbal teas are just a mixed bag that's a pain to deal with. Peppermint is ok. Chamomile is ok.

Hmm, yeah I can see how this stuff can already be confusing! I have a roommate from Japan and he said pregnant women there drink a lot of green tea during pregnancy and they are fine. Just like in Europe pregnant women still eat soft cheese or whatever. I will just have to ask my doc about teas!

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

The active ingredients in green tea supposedly do something with the body and folic acid so the fetus has a higher chance of having neural tube defects. A lot of the stuff I'm finding out about are sort of in that grey area of if might be harmful, but it might not be harmful. I usually just abstain from anything controversial rather than take the risk. Its only 9 months. The one I can't do without is I have to take a zyrtec every other day or I'll break out in horribly painful hives randomly.

For fun, google whether pineapple is safe when pregnant. :v:

Alterian fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jul 24, 2012

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008
The breakouts and nausea are really loving awful for me right now. Do you guys know of any ways to ease that up a bit? Like safe facial cleansers? I'm eating healthy snacks regularly, but that only takes the edge off.

BTW, I'm going to choke the next stranger that approaches me and rubs my belly without asking for permission.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Hastings posted:

The breakouts and nausea are really loving awful for me right now. Do you guys know of any ways to ease that up a bit? Like safe facial cleansers? I'm eating healthy snacks regularly, but that only takes the edge off.

BTW, I'm going to choke the next stranger that approaches me and rubs my belly without asking for permission.

This is the thread for you! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3390558

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

STUBBSSSSS INNNNNN SPACEEEE!

Alterian posted:

Uh, what? My doctor didn't say anything about green tea, nor did the pregnancy book she recommended, and now that I've looked it up neither does the American Pregnancy Association (not sure if that's a legit thing or not)...hopefully it's not a big problem because I've been craving jasmine green tea and have a glass every couple of days.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I found this http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/1017.html
if you scroll down to "Are there interactions with herbs and supplements?"

This one talks about the study and where you can find it: http://pregnancy.families.com/blog/is-green-tea-safe

Again, its one of those things where some people say stay away, some people say its ok sometimes.

Edit: I think this is the study they're referring to in that last one. http://cancerres.aacrjournals.org/content/65/6/2059.full?sid=7ff8ff08-1d44-4fbe-94f6-36c5e9ad81af

Alterian fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jul 26, 2012

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

Alterian posted:

This one talks about the study and where you can find it: http://pregnancy.families.com/blog/is-green-tea-safe

Again, its one of those things where some people say stay away, some people say its ok sometimes.

Edit: I think this is the study they're referring to in that last one. http://cancerres.aacrjournals.org/content/65/6/2059.full?sid=7ff8ff08-1d44-4fbe-94f6-36c5e9ad81af

Dang :(

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004

Alterian posted:

While all of this is true, it's a long way from "green tea is a giant no no". Yes, there is a possible mechanism by which green tea could reduce the amount of folic acid available in your body. But we're talking about something that has been demonstrated to occur in cell culture, not in human bodies. And even if it DOES reduce the availability of folate in the human body that doesn't mean it will necessarily cause problems for pregnancy, especially in women who are already supplementing folate and are generally well-nourished. Even the most cautious recommendations I've seen suggest moderation (1-2 cups a day), not cutting it out of your diet altogether. The link is so tenuous that most places don't mention a problem with green tea other than concerns about caffeine if you were to ingest a lot of it.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

I got my giant bag of 90 pregnancy/ovulation test strips in the mail today. That's $20 well spent, gently caress paying $15 per pregnancy test from the supermarket/chemist... it's outrageous what they charge for them there.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

Alterian posted:

The active ingredients in green tea supposedly do something with the body and folic acid so the fetus has a higher chance of having neural tube defects. A lot of the stuff I'm finding out about are sort of in that grey area of if might be harmful, but it might not be harmful. I usually just abstain from anything controversial rather than take the risk. Its only 9 months. The one I can't do without is I have to take a zyrtec every other day or I'll break out in horribly painful hives randomly.

For fun, google whether pineapple is safe when pregnant. :v:

For what it's worth, I haven't been able to find any reputable sources that definitively caution against green tea early in pregnancy (which isn't to say that it's completely safe, of course), and at any rate, the neural tube is as closed as it's going to get by 4 weeks' gestational age, so any damage that it might do would only be in that developmental window.

Also, for your peace of mind, there seems to be no link between Zyrtec and adverse effects; of the studies that have been done of women using antihistamines in pregnancy, women using Zyrtec did not have higher rates of adverse pregnancy outcomes or malformations.

Sammeow
Aug 21, 2010
This is my 4th month ttc number 2. I thought I was out for the running when I started my period Sunday or so I thought. As of yesterday evening I've got pretty much nothing going on which is really odd for me. My mother just goes on and on about how she had a period after she got pregnant with me and is pretty much doing a happy dance.
My question to you all is do you think it is worth wasting a test? It is always drilled into our heads that if you don't miss your period you aren't pregnant so I feel silly even questioning myself but things just aren't normal with this cycle.
I'm coming to you 'cause I know I wont get any wishy washy parade of flowers on here like some other places. I just need some honest opinions.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
I thought I was getting my period, had some light spotting, but nothing substantial....realized a week later that I never had a real period & ended up with a positive test.

So yes, you could be pregnant. Just get a test from the dollar store if you feel like you're wasting money on tests.

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

Sammeow posted:

This is my 4th month ttc number 2. I thought I was out for the running when I started my period Sunday or so I thought. As of yesterday evening I've got pretty much nothing going on which is really odd for me. My mother just goes on and on about how she had a period after she got pregnant with me and is pretty much doing a happy dance.
My question to you all is do you think it is worth wasting a test? It is always drilled into our heads that if you don't miss your period you aren't pregnant so I feel silly even questioning myself but things just aren't normal with this cycle.
I'm coming to you 'cause I know I wont get any wishy washy parade of flowers on here like some other places. I just need some honest opinions.

In your shoes, I would just buy one of the value packs from one of the cheap sites and save yourself the worry that you are "wasting" a test. I generally get mine through this place.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Sammeow posted:

If I were you, I'd risk 'wasting' a test. I just bought about 50 of them on ebay for less than $20.

Editted to add: Does anyone have any recommendations for cycle tracking/ovulation predicting apps for smartphones? I'm currently using the free version of OvuView, but I haven't quite figured out how it works yet.

bee fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Aug 1, 2012

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

bee posted:

If I were you, I'd risk 'wasting' a test. I just bought about 50 of them on ebay for less than $20.

Editted to add: Does anyone have any recommendations for cycle tracking/ovulation predicting apps for smartphones? I'm currently using the free version of OvuView, but I haven't quite figured out how it works yet.

I used fertility friend, but I didn't do anything more involved than tracking my periods, dates we had sex, and positive ovulation tests.

Sammeow
Aug 21, 2010
Thank you for your response I'll go ahead and test.

bee posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for cycle tracking/ovulation predicting apps for smartphones? I'm currently using the free version of OvuView, but I haven't quite figured out how it works yet.

I use period tracker. I really like it. Pretty straight forward to use. Can put in symptoms, moods, sex with or without a condom, or just enter your own note. It is a cute layout too.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Canuckistan posted:

Not good :(. Growth stopped at 9 weeks. Booking the D&C tomorrow. What a loving day.

We found out today that it was a partial molar pregnancy. Yay us for being the 1 in 1000. The rest of you should be safe now.

There goes the conception plans for the next 6-12 months. However the doctor was very nice and joked that he has plans for us and not to give up since he needs a new sail for his boat. He also gave us a great little pep talk about not freaking out about passing the infamous 35+ age bracket. He broke down the stats and it's really not that bad.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004

bee posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for cycle tracking/ovulation predicting apps for smartphones? I'm currently using the free version of OvuView, but I haven't quite figured out how it works yet.

I like certain aspects of Ovuview (it has great symptom tracking that I use for my migraine headaches) but find that overall I prefer Fertility Friend. The free version is adequate for pretty much everything you could want, they offer a free ebook/charting course thing if you want to get really into charting, you can update from the phone or the computer, and the app is pretty straightforward and non-buggy.

If you pay attention they run specials for the VIP (paid) version sometimes. I think I paid ~$20 for a year. It gives you access to some additional features that are nice but not essential.

Canuckistan: I'm sorry to hear it was a partial molar pregnancy, those are particularly lovely. It's good that your doc has some plans for when you can start trying again though.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

I just thought I'd check in and ask how everyone is doing since it's been a while since there's been any posts. I hope that everyone is enjoying themselves and feeling healthy :) I am in that fun coming-off-the-pill-bizzare-cycle stage where I'm wondering every day if I'm about to ruin my clothes, but hate pads enough to take that chance. Ho hum.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004

bee posted:

I just thought I'd check in and ask how everyone is doing since it's been a while since there's been any posts. I hope that everyone is enjoying themselves and feeling healthy :) I am in that fun coming-off-the-pill-bizzare-cycle stage where I'm wondering every day if I'm about to ruin my clothes, but hate pads enough to take that chance. Ho hum.

I'm stuck in the boring "waiting to find out if we managed to get knocked up" phase for the next couple of weeks. Trying not to get my hopes up, but this sure would be a nice month to get pregnant.

Sorry your cycle is all over the place. To deal with the potential for clothes ruining, look into menstrual cups (there is a thread in this forum). Or try the Always Infinity pads (if they have them in Australia). I'm a huge hater of pads but had no choice but to wear them during my miscarriage and I was pleasantly surprised to find that the Infinity pads are leaps and bounds better than any others I've tried.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

I'm also in the "waiting to find out if I'm knocked up" stage. Hopefully I'll know within a week, as I am on day 10 of my luteal phase (presuming my body isn't still completely crazy from going off the pill in May).

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

So, I am 10 days post ovulation. I took a pregnancy test using test strips from the save on test sites linked in the OP. The control line showed up right away and after a couple of minutes a very faint second line showed up. It wasn't that dark-- pretty faint, but definitely there (to the point where I asked my husband how many lines it had on it and he looked and said two with having no knowledge how pregnancy tests work) said two.

So, I'll take another test in a couple days or so, but if it was definitely negative, is there any chance even the faintest of a second line would show up?

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

False positives are very, very rare. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

sheri posted:

So, I am 10 days post ovulation. I took a pregnancy test using test strips from the save on test sites linked in the OP. The control line showed up right away and after a couple of minutes a very faint second line showed up. It wasn't that dark-- pretty faint, but definitely there (to the point where I asked my husband how many lines it had on it and he looked and said two with having no knowledge how pregnancy tests work) said two.

So, I'll take another test in a couple days or so, but if it was definitely negative, is there any chance even the faintest of a second line would show up?

Mine was a control line and then a crazy as gently caress wave (seriously, it was a wave..I think the ink was bleeding out). In my experience (as I am pregnant), a faint line is still a positive line. Tell us how your second test goes. Congratulations may be in order. :)

• Locked thread