Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Has anyone put 32GB RAM into a 2011 iMac? According to NewEgg, 4x 8GB of PC3-10600 should be around $200. I guess I shouldn't find that shocking, but I do.

I was just brainstorming about the possible maximum RAM for Ivy Bridge iMacs. I don't think anyone sells 16GB modules yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

kuskus posted:

Has anyone put 32GB RAM into a 2011 iMac? According to NewEgg, 4x 8GB of PC3-10600 should be around $200. I guess I shouldn't find that shocking, but I do.

I was just brainstorming about the possible maximum RAM for Ivy Bridge iMacs. I don't think anyone sells 16GB modules yet.

We maxed a couple of them out at work. I think it was around $200, it was $350 from Crucial or OWC

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

If new iMacs aren't announced with Mountain Lion, I'm going to go ahead and need to pull the trigger on a new 27 inch model. I'm a firm believer in buying as much processor as you can, so I'm trying to decide between settling for the 3.1 i5 model that's abailable refurbed for $1660 here - http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC814LL/A

Or buying new in order to get the 3.4 i7 model for $2200. I'd actually probably also add another $100 for the 2g version of the graphics card, bringing me up to $2300.

The machine will be for heavy video editing and audio recording and mixing. I like the idea of getting the i7 for future proofing - I'm one of those people that never upgrades until I absolutely have to (currently rocking an '08 C2D iMac), but then I look at those numbers and see myself spending $650 more for an i7 over an i5 and one more gig of RAM on the same graphics card.

Is there any way that's remotely a reasonable choice?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

a bad poster yall posted:

Get the 8GB of RAM and it'll be more than good enough.
You absolutely don't need 8GB for browser tabs. :psyduck:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

ufarn posted:

Pretty close to getting a 13" Air. Is there anything it can't do in terms of performance I should know about?
Nope. You can even save some money and get a 2011 refurb and probably not notice the difference for most usage scenarios.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

You might not need 8GB, but it's nice to have more than 4GB. I've slowly been upgrading people around the office who are on older 15" Macbook Pros from 4GB to 8GB.

I'll fire up activity monitor and see they have 0 free memory and a 3GB swap file, and all they have open is Office and about 20 browser windows. Sure, they could just restart their computers every day instead of every week, but c'mon, this isn't Windows.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Problem found.

luvd
Sep 29, 2011

don't like omelettes but i'll eat crepes all day long

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

True, it was more of a "you might as well as it's cheap and you'll get an amazing machine" kinda post.

Uuudar
Apr 18, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Next time someone says "You can get a Sony/Dell/whatever for $599 that has the same specs as a Apple...."

To be fair, aluminum laptops suffer from pitting in some cases.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Uuudar posted:

Very rare.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Are the intel macs better in this regard? I've never seen a G4 Powerbook that wasn't pitted to hell after a couple of years.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Transistor Rhythm posted:

The machine will be for heavy video editing and audio recording and mixing. I like the idea of getting the i7 for future proofing - I'm one of those people that never upgrades until I absolutely have to (currently rocking an '08 C2D iMac), but then I look at those numbers and see myself spending $650 more for an i7 over an i5 and one more gig of RAM on the same graphics card.

Is there any way that's remotely a reasonable choice?

It looks like (guessing based on the GHz) the processors themselves are the i5-2400 and i7-3770. You'll lose hyperthreading (which is say a 0-30% performance boost, depending on workload), the CPU frequency's lower, 6 MB of cache instead of 8 MB, same number of cores, they support 1333MHz vs 1600MHz RAM.

If you're doing interactive CPU-bound workloads all the time, where you the human are waiting for the CPU to finish its work, getting a faster CPU can make sense. (But maybe memory bandwidth is the bottleneck, in which case a cheaper Ivy Bridge CPU might be more appropriate.)

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

ShadeofBlue posted:

Are the intel macs better in this regard? I've never seen a G4 Powerbook that wasn't pitted to hell after a couple of years.

My 6-7 year old MBP looks flawless aside from a dent. I don't think it's a concern unless you're buying cheap laptops.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Kilometers Davis posted:

My 6-7 year old MBP looks flawless aside from a dent. I don't think it's a concern unless you're buying cheap laptops.

It happened to my MBP of the same vintage.

Pseudo-God
Mar 13, 2006

I just love oranges!
Hi,

I was wondering if I could connect two monitors to a late 2006 Mac Mini. The Mini has a single DVI-I port, so I was thinking of using this splitter:
http://sewelldirect.com/dvi-splitter-cable-vga.asp
and driving one monitor with DVI-D and the other with VGA. Is this possible, or will the display be only mirrored?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Pseudo-God posted:

Hi,

I was wondering if I could connect two monitors to a late 2006 Mac Mini. The Mini has a single DVI-I port, so I was thinking of using this splitter:
http://sewelldirect.com/dvi-splitter-cable-vga.asp
and driving one monitor with DVI-D and the other with VGA. Is this possible, or will the display be only mirrored?

The page you linked posted:

This cable does not mirror an image on two displays. It allows you to have two displays connected to one source (i.e. projector and monitor) and to use one display or the other without having to connect or disconnect the cables which can lead to connector stress damage.

One display at a time, no mirroring, but no cable swapping.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Just use a cheapo USB video card.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

ShadeofBlue posted:

We're talking about modern computers. G4 Macs are how old? You can see already worn plastic laptops on display at Best Buy.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Bob Morales posted:

We're talking about modern computers. G4 Macs are how old? You can see already worn plastic laptops on display at Best Buy.

If you saw how pitted my 4 year old Core2Duo MBP was you'd never stop throwing up.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

HolePisser1982 posted:

If you saw how pitted my 4 year old Core2Duo MBP was you'd never stop throwing up.

I've seen pictures of them online but never in person. Is it a certain chemical in a lotion or soap, or just what some people's skin has in sweat/oil?

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Bob Morales posted:

I've seen pictures of them online but never in person. Is it a certain chemical in a lotion or soap, or just what some people's skin has in sweat/oil?

Someone told me it was probably the mix of skin oil and heat (that thing got pretty scorching hot) but I've never really known. I'm hoping it doesn't happen to the new retina, and I don't believe I've ever seen any pitting on a unibody mac, but I guess I'll find out in a year or two!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

HolePisser1982 posted:

Someone told me it was probably the mix of skin oil and heat (that thing got pretty scorching hot) but I've never really known. I'm hoping it doesn't happen to the new retina, and I don't believe I've ever seen any pitting on a unibody mac, but I guess I'll find out in a year or two!

The pictures I've seen online are right on the corner.

Uuudar
Apr 18, 2003
I have it really bad in several places on my 15" MBP, the model right before the switch to unibody. Just got a 2011 refurbished Air so we'll see if it's just me!

Also, there was that fun discoloration of the palm rests of the white MacBooks several years back.

luvd
Sep 29, 2011

don't like omelettes but i'll eat crepes all day long

HolePisser1982 posted:

Yeah this is my current computer and it's fine except for the sharper edges which are pitted and ugly.

Also a few dents but that's my own fault.

E - it's one of the first unibodies.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
https://uptodate.apple.com/UtdPrepareAction.action

The Up To Date program has started- be sure to fill it out before you forget about it!

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

Uuudar posted:

My C2D pre-UniBody Macbook Pro got pretty pitted and I was told it was because I have a fake tooth (hockey accident). Now I have a 2011 MBA which is in perfect condition - still have the same fake tooth though. The new models' unibody material seems to be a lot more resistant.

Uuudar
Apr 18, 2003

mik posted:

My C2D pre-UniBody Macbook Pro got pretty pitted and I was told it was because I have a fake tooth (hockey accident). Now I have a 2011 MBA which is in perfect condition - still have the same fake tooth though. The new models' unibody material seems to be a lot more resistant.

Were you gnawing on your laptop or something :stare:

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Some people have more corrosive sweat. It's a pH thing and is the same reason why latex and nitrile gloves discolor yellow for some people but not others. The amount you sweat also makes a difference - some people have hyperhydrosis or are just sweaty people (fat) which will exacerbate the situation.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

cowofwar posted:

or are just sweaty people (fat) which will exacerbate the situation.
I sweat a lot and I wouldn't consider myself fat, overweight, or even chubby even in the most hosed up universe (160lb/5'8"/fit). That said, no pitting on my 2010 13".

Shmoogy posted:

https://uptodate.apple.com/UtdPrepareAction.action

The Up To Date program has started- be sure to fill it out before you forget about it!

or go to http://www.apple.com/osx/uptodate/. That link doesn't work for some reason.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jul 24, 2012

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

160 lbs and 5'8" is nearly overweight according to BMI so you probably would sweat less if you lost 10 or 20 pounds.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

inferis posted:

160 lbs and 5'8" is nearly overweight according to BMI so you probably would sweat less if you lost 10 or 20 pounds.

Or just turn on the AC.

Would this battery be okay to buy? Any goons have a Unibody Macbook 5,1 battery laying around they want to sell?

http://www.amazon.com/Original-Appl...=I1YQESHP25YSH0

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

inferis posted:

Ahh this is the kind of great content I love to see when there are fresh posts in the Mac Hardware thread

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Bob Morales posted:

Or just turn on the AC.

Would this battery be okay to buy? Any goons have a Unibody Macbook 5,1 battery laying around they want to sell?

http://www.amazon.com/Original-Appl...=I1YQESHP25YSH0

Looks okay, one of the comments says it's original Apple product; probably some authorized dealer who had stock on hand went belly up and someone else just picked these up at auction or something, because there's normally no way that price would be that cheap..

Newer Tech sells their MacBook batteries for at least $100 through OWC.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Finally just brought my iMac with the wonky airport to the Apple store. I was worried the problem wouldn't present itself at the store but it was actually much worse on their connection than it is for me at home.

Looks like I don't get it back for a week though. I wish they would just swap out broken iMacs like they do with iPhones. :sigh:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Well, at least they can run tests on it and see if it's either the logic board, the antenna, the antenna cable, or the combo Bluetooth/WiFi Broadcom based WiFi card.

iPhones aren't really easy to service, so handing you a new unit is easier than having someone take the time to take apart your phone to diagnose it, and you get back in business faster. Plus, they can keep more than a dozen iPhones on hand in the same shelf space that an iMac box takes up.

Also by taking back the bad iPhone they neatly keep it away from third party fixit businesses who would use it for spare parts.

Edit: spellink

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jul 25, 2012

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

inferis posted:

Too bad BMI is a total poo poo way to call that. ;)

quote:

It may overestimate body fat in athletes and others who have a muscular build.

Binary Badger posted:

Well, at least they can run tests on it and see if it's either the logic board, the antenna, the antenna cable, or the combo Bluetooth/WiFi Broadcom based WiFi card.
Do they actually have software tests that can break the issue down that closely?

edit2:

inferis posted:

Oh my bad didn't realize you were a body builder athlete. Totally overestimated your probable 8% body fat.
:)

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jul 25, 2012

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Case in point: Maurice Jones Drew, running back for the Jacksonville Jaguars. 5'7", 208 lbs. Probably 10-11% body fat if I had to guess. (Obviously this is 0.00001% of the population but still)

Anyone have any NAS recommendations for a Mac Mini/MBA setup?

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

Too bad BMI is a total poo poo way to call that. ;)

Do they actually have software tests that can break the issue down that closely?

edit: vvv Holy gently caress.
Oh my bad didn't realize you were a body builder athlete. Totally overestimated your probable 8% body fat.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Shut the gently caress up about BMI. Nobody cares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
Now that I have my Air, I'm thinking about getting an iMac. While my old black Macbook is still running OK, I only ever now use it as a desktop, and I figure if I am going to use it as a desktop I might as well get an actual desktop.

Through work I can get a ~2 year old black / silver:

Apple iMac 20" Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66 GHz 4GB 320GB

for $300.

However, I'd only do this if:

- I can upgrade the HD (to a larger internal HD, or to a SSD + HD)
- there wasn't some crazy improvement over the last year or so in iMacs that would help here.

So how is the quality on these? I haven't owned a desktop since...2002 or so, so I'm a little out of the loop on the finer points of Apple's desktop offerings.