Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

If you guys like Lazlow reacting to idiot callers with stupid questions, you should listen to his real life radio show/podcast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Did they have more than one chatter station? Because those were primarily what I listened to while playing GTA games and I can only remember the Lazlow one, and from that only the segment where he assaults a sausage vendor.
Sure, my overall opinion of the game my colour my memories of the radio, but I honestly can't remember a single part of the radio stations (songs, commercials, chatter or DJs), except from that Lazlow segment I mentioned and Koyaanisqatsi.

Edit:^^^Could you link that or tell me the name of it? Because it might just be the thing I need!

Physical
Sep 26, 2007

by T. Finninho

TheJoker138 posted:

If you guys like Lazlow reacting to idiot callers with stupid questions, you should listen to his real life radio show/podcast.
I thought he was just a GTA character.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Physical posted:

Nope, Lazlow Jones is his full name. He works at Rockstar as a music producer. He puts all the radio stations together, helps pick the songs, etc. He used to have a nationally syndicated, bite sized technology show, and a radio show every month on XM until Sirius bought them out and canned him, now he does it as a podcast.

Physical
Sep 26, 2007

by T. Finninho

TheJoker138 posted:

Nope, Lazlow Jones is his full name. He works at Rockstar as a music producer. He puts all the radio stations together, helps pick the songs, etc. He used to have a nationally syndicated, bite sized technology show, and a radio show every month on XM until Sirius bought them out and canned him, now he does it as a podcast.

I imaged a Ryan Seacrest looking guy. The person in the picture looks like a goon.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Physical posted:

I imaged a Ryan Seacrest looking guy. The person in the picture looks like a goon.

He also has two cohosts. On the right of this image is Reed, who also did work at Rockstar during the GTA 3 era, providing the voices of a couple of the callers, and on the left is Big Wayne, who is a former union carpenter who, last I know of, is now unemployed and spends all his time and unemployment money on weed:

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

Iacen posted:

Did they have more than one chatter station? Because those were primarily what I listened to while playing GTA games and I can only remember the Lazlow one, and from that only the segment where he assaults a sausage vendor.
Sure, my overall opinion of the game my colour my memories of the radio, but I honestly can't remember a single part of the radio stations (songs, commercials, chatter or DJs), except from that Lazlow segment I mentioned and Koyaanisqatsi.

Edit:^^^Could you link that or tell me the name of it? Because it might just be the thing I need!

There was WKTT, they had the psychotic boy genius and Judge Grady's 'Just or Unjust' off the top of my head, I quite liked it.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Physical posted:

Couzin Ed is also a real life DJ, and he's also the PA Announcer for Philadelphia Eagles home games.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

ShineDog posted:

They need to look at the tone of the radio in the next games though, because as the series became more serious in it's general stories the radio became dumber and more purile, and I swear lost most of it's wit. The ads and most of the shows are just barrel scraping shouting strawmen, and while they always had an element of this before they pulled it off with much better writing.

"Freedom squeeze". :colbert:

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
There was also PLR for chat radio, but it seemed every time I tuned into it I got 'And now for The Seance'.

There was a similar glitch on the talk radio station on Liberty City Stories, where I kept on getting the Dr Phil show...

Frog
May 25, 2006
Ribbit

ShineDog posted:

They need to look at the tone of the radio in the next games though, because as the series became more serious in it's general stories the radio became dumber and more purile, and I swear lost most of it's wit. The ads and most of the shows are just barrel scraping shouting strawmen, and while they always had an element of this before they pulled it off with much better writing.

And all the swearing on the radio, man, I will miss old Lazlow, trying to stop people doing things that will get him into trouble. Depressed sexpest Lazlow is just not as good.

Just or Unjust ruined the radio for me in GTA 4. All I wanted was some light-hearted comedy like the San Andreas chat channel, but instead I get mediocrity interspersed with random episodes of "gently caress YOU BITCH A MAN IS TALKING". Whose idea was that?

ExplodingSquid
Aug 11, 2008

Sorry if this has been brought up before but I just noticed this from the trailer...

PUSH BIKE!!!!

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

ExplodingSquid posted:

Sorry if this has been brought up before but I just noticed this from the trailer...

PUSH BIKE!!!!

Trash collecting minigame: confirmed!

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

I'm hoping there are trikes to escape the cops from. You know, these guys:

Ninja edit: Is that what you mean by "push bike"? My bad.

ExplodingSquid
Aug 11, 2008

Push bike might be an Australian term?

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005
Ugh I am try to use that IcEnhancer mod for GTA 4. I have a pretty high end system but I can't find whatever it is in the config file that's slowing everything down. Is there somewhere I can just download some presets? Or if someone else has a GTX 560ti could they post theirs?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Iacen posted:

I honestly can't remember a single part of the radio stations (songs, commercials, chatter or DJs), except from that Lazlow segment I mentioned and Koyaanisqatsi.

Its funny, they included so many obscure genres but left out big popular ones. I thought SA did a much better job of giving a decent parody of actual American radio stations with the classic rock station and the country station and so on. I can only hope that the radio returns to form in V.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I want a station that plays classical music. RIP Double Clef FM. :(

saltyslug
Jun 28, 2012

Guess where this lollipop's going?
"Pushbike" is British I think. It's just a commonly used word for a bicycle.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
The term bike being ambiguous between a bicycle and motorcycle.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Gangway for footcycle!

LARRY JEW
Jan 7, 2010

Mopey Dick

ExplodingSquid posted:

PUSH BIKE!!!!

Is there any hope that actual gameplay could look this good? The answer is no, right?

I can't imagine the 360 or PS3 being able to handle this. Please tell me I'm wrong

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Mike Tysons CARFAX posted:

Is there any hope that actual gameplay could look this good? The answer is no, right?

I can't imagine the 360 or PS3 being able to handle this. Please tell me I'm wrong
It's definitely the PC version they're using for the trailers. The console versions won't look that good, no. That said though, they've had a lot of time to smooth out the engine and optimize it since GTAIV (and RDR) so I'm sure it'll come close.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
I do hope GTA5 Features nice country side, if the detail is anything like GTA4 then I'm going to do a lot of walking. I STILL launch GTA4 just to walk around / drive around. Biking in the country will be sick.

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis

Raffles posted:

Gangway for footcycle!

The term you're looking for is "velocipede."

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

moms pubis posted:

The term you're looking for is "velocipede."
Grand Theft Hansom: Victorian London please

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

simosimo posted:

I do hope GTA5 Features nice country side, if the detail is anything like GTA4 then I'm going to do a lot of walking. I STILL launch GTA4 just to walk around / drive around. Biking in the country will be sick.

The FPS mod has made me walk quite a bit more this time around. Same with mouse freelook while driving. It's amazing some of the stuff I'm seeing that I haven't before (also haven't played this since it came out on the 360 so I've forgotten a bit). Like I never noticed NPCs using ATMs before, and that they drop $200+ in cash. A decent chunk of money in the early-game. I like to skulk around ATMs, follow someone who uses it, and knife them for it since gunshots attract cops.

For the other dude playing with the FPS mod, did you ever find a decent car interiors texture pack that works?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Knightmare posted:

The FPS mod has made me walk quite a bit more this time around. Same with mouse freelook while driving. It's amazing some of the stuff I'm seeing that I haven't before (also haven't played this since it came out on the 360 so I've forgotten a bit). Like I never noticed NPCs using ATMs before, and that they drop $200+ in cash. A decent chunk of money in the early-game. I like to skulk around ATMs, follow someone who uses it, and knife them for it since gunshots attract cops.

For the other dude playing with the FPS mod, did you ever find a decent car interiors texture pack that works?

What is this freelook while driving you are talking about, and where can I acquire it?

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

SEKCobra posted:

What is this freelook while driving you are talking about, and where can I acquire it?

First person mod for GTAIV http://www.iol.ie/~fcorp/gta/iv/FirstPersonV1.22.zip

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Cliff Racer posted:

Its funny, they included so many obscure genres but left out big popular ones. I thought SA did a much better job of giving a decent parody of actual American radio stations with the classic rock station and the country station and so on. I can only hope that the radio returns to form in V.

From friends who live in NYC the radio in 4 did a great job of being a parody of what radio there is in NY.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

From friends who live in NYC the radio in 4 did a great job of being a parody of what radio there is in NY.

Yeah I live in the NYC area and GTA 4 does a perfect job of parodying what was actually on the radio in 2008 NYC.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Maybe so, but for the vast majority of people who don't live in New York it was annoying to have tons of stations that played obscure, bland stuff while having nothing really iconic like in previous games. The only stations I really listened to were Vladivostok FM (vanilla version,) The Journey and Radio Broker, whereas basically every station in SA and VC was good. I guess thats one of the problems of setting something in the current era, which makes me a little worried about GTA V since its being similarly modern. Speaking of the connections between IV and V, has there been any confirmation as to whether they are in the same universe? They're on the same engine, and look to probably use a lot of the same systems, but I don't think we've ever seen two different "generations" overlap before.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cliff Racer posted:

Maybe so, but for the vast majority of people who don't live in New York it was annoying to have tons of stations that played obscure, bland stuff while having nothing really iconic like in previous games. The only stations I really listened to were Vladivostok FM (vanilla version,) The Journey and Radio Broker, whereas basically every station in SA and VC was good. I guess thats one of the problems of setting something in the current era, which makes me a little worried about GTA V since its being similarly modern. Speaking of the connections between IV and V, has there been any confirmation as to whether they are in the same universe? They're on the same engine, and look to probably use a lot of the same systems, but I don't think we've ever seen two different "generations" overlap before.

Basically the thing is, you in particular liked music in the 80s and early 90s better than you liked music in the late 2000s. That's what's really going on here.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Really, would that explain why even when they used the same musician (Brand Nubian, in the case I can think of off the top of my head) the SA song was much catchier than the IV song? Or could it be that they did a poor job of song selection. I mean I'm not the only one who thinks this either, the topic crops up from time to time and a lot of people thought that IV had bland and forgettable music whereas I don't recall anyone saying that about the previous three.

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis
I think it stems from the fact that with SA and VC they had years of cultural filtering to draw on. When you're selecting music from 10 or 20 years ago, you can consider what's stood the test of time and is still popular and well-respected today, but when you're selecting music that's still relatively new, there hasn't yet been an opportunity for the cream to the rise to the top, so to speak, so you're not sure what will resonate with your audience over time.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
So someone made this as a parody of Ken Block's latest gymkhana video. It drags on a bit but I quite like the premise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0lJLb5m7xU

Edit: Speaking of soundtracks, I think they spent a lot more money on the music in SA. Isn't that why they released cd's of almost every station? Like actual physical cd's in stores. They didn't do that for 4 did they?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cliff Racer posted:

Really, would that explain why even when they used the same musician (Brand Nubian, in the case I can think of off the top of my head) the SA song was much catchier than the IV song? Or could it be that they did a poor job of song selection. I mean I'm not the only one who thinks this either, the topic crops up from time to time and a lot of people thought that IV had bland and forgettable music whereas I don't recall anyone saying that about the previous three.

Both VC and SA had the luxury of taking all the best music of the general time period they were set in and putting it together.

Vice City, for example, was set in 1986, but the music used comes from 1981-1989. San Andreas is set in 1992 but music used (not counting the country station which goes back farther) but has music from between 1986 and 1994 in it.

Meanwhile, IV was set in 2008 and released in 2008. Obviously couldn't use future music. There was the 80s station and the classic rock station which had significantly older music, but otherwise everything else was stuff from between 2004 and 2008. Smaller time to select from and all.

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis

davebo posted:

Edit: Speaking of soundtracks, I think they spent a lot more money on the music in SA. Isn't that why they released cd's of almost every station? Like actual physical cd's in stores. They didn't do that for 4 did they?

They released huge box sets of the soundtracks for Vice City and San Andreas, but the only soundtrack release IV got was a single-disc compilation with just one or two songs from each station. It might have something to do with the partnership they had with Amazon MP3, where you could do a thing with your in-game phone that would send you a link in your real-life email to purchase whichever song was playing on the radio at that moment.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Here's the mp3 album for the best of gta4 soundtrack:

http://www.amazon.com/Music-Grand-T...auto+soundtrack

Here's the 2-cd best of san andreas album:
http://www.amazon.com/Grand-Theft-A...auto+soundtrack
(Hardly even a best-of if it doesn't have Welcome to the Jungle)

This paints an unfair picture I think because GTA4 really did have a lot of music, and if you look at the track list of KDST versus Liberty Rock, I'd say KDST has larger hit songs but Liberty has a couple more, and added way more with the expansions.

Edit: vv I will take jumping over the Sherman Dam Resevoir on a Freeway while playing Runnin' Down a Dream.

davebo fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jul 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis
Very little in gaming is better than tearing through Star Junction on a Hexer hurling pipe bombs left and right while "Run to the Hills" blasts out of your speakers.

• Locked thread