Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

ToxicFrog posted:

So when all the Red Faction stuff went on sale yesterday, I found out that - somehow - I already owned Red Faction 1 and 2 on Steam.

Time to fire up the original and see how well it holds up. :black101: Free Mars!

Red Faction 2 has always been terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
System Shock 3?

I can live in hope.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Rather Dashing posted:

System Shock 3?

I can live in hope.
Nope. System Shock is in legal flux - the games are owned by EA, but the name is owned by an insurance company. EA were working on a SS3 at some point, but it morphed into Dead Space 1.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Yodzilla posted:

Red Faction 2 has always been terrible.

RF1 is the one I'm actually playing.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Oh I've got no problems there, I have super fond memories of Red Faction 1. And then I remember renting Red Faction 2 and beating it in one sitting and being completely underwhelmed.

And the squad mates. Good lord they're all so stupid and then in the ending you get a still frame of this dumb motherfucker:

Even years later that character makes me mad. Look how bad that is.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
If it is Rise of the Triad, I hope they remember what the game's about. Rockets. maybe a gun, but lots and lots of different rockets. and turning into a dog sometimes.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
If it's Rise of the Triad, it will aim to capture the magic of today's FPS (CoD, Halo, with one or two callbacks to the original ROTT IP), be as underwhelming as the Syndicate remake, and do as well as the last Wolfenstein game.

If it's ROTT, it totally will be an on-the-rails, reloading and regenerating health shooter. CoD with more rocket launchers. It is impossible for it to be anything but this.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

If it's Rise of the Triad, it will aim to capture the magic of today's FPS (CoD, Halo, with one or two callbacks to the original ROTT IP), be as underwhelming as the Syndicate remake, and do as well as the last Wolfenstein game.

If it's ROTT, it totally will be an on-the-rails, reloading and regenerating health shooter. CoD with more rocket launchers. It is impossible for it to be anything but this.

If you're lucky, it'll be like Hard Reset, which at the very least had cool guns. Even though it was short, super linear, and boring as poo poo. :sigh:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I feel bad that I sort of totally skipped Syndicate. Oops.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Don't. I'm playing it now and it's awful.

LackinPants!
Mar 25, 2007
He actually isn't
Quick question, has anyone bothered to port the GBA Doom deathmatch maps? Every wiki and such I see mentions them, but none even have level layouts.

Maybe my google is weak but I'd like to just take a look at them.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Did you try idgames? Everything is on idgames.

LackinPants!
Mar 25, 2007
He actually isn't

The more you know.

Thanks.

Only bummer is there's no sp start points for a walk around.

LackinPants! fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jul 20, 2012

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

is it possible to setup a headless doom/doom2 server like you can with quake1/2/3? is there a server that's particularly compatible with most doom clients over tcp/ip?

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
Skulltag/Zandronum has a headless server, and I imagine zdaemon and odamex have one as they are multiplayer focused ports. All of those will only work with clients of the appropriate flavor though. There isn't a doom server that runs with more than one port as far as I know.

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies

Yodzilla posted:

Oh I've got no problems there, I have super fond memories of Red Faction 1. And then I remember renting Red Faction 2 and beating it in one sitting and being completely underwhelmed.

And the squad mates. Good lord they're all so stupid and then in the ending you get a still frame of this dumb motherfucker:

Shrike, a madman with a taste for speed.

My favorite part was late in the game when Shrike was was explaining what was going on, but the music and sfx were so loud you couldn't hear him, and there were no subtitles. :allears:

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
Hey I scanned the first 20 pages of this thread looking for Unreal Tournament references and then decided to skip to the end...

Anyone remember Cliffy B's "this map owns?" Well, I used to do custom mapping and I had a couple maps land on his coveted page. I still have them packed away in my little Mac UT folder, so I figured I'd share them in this thread, if anyone wants a couple new UT maps to play:

http://maurydegeofroy.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/ruineR-UT-Maps.zip

I used to go by "ruineR"

These maps are:

DM-Essence (a 1 on 1 or 2 on 2 tiny map sort of inspired by screenshots of Quake 3 at the time. I made this in a day and it was my biggest hit, go figure)

DM-Reliquary][ (4-6 Player map with a couple traps that I had fun making. I originally made this for Unreal, then converted it to UT)

DM-Synapse (6-8 Player map, this one took me ages to complete, and was what I considered my masterpiece at the time, but it wasn't as well received at others. I think it may have been overly ambitious, and the corridors got a little sticky at times)

I made a few others but I don't know where they are anymore, or if they've been lost to the internet ether... anyway, Interested to see if anyone tries these out/likes them in the current era of ultra-detailed level design (I remember at the time, I had to keep all onscreen polygon counts down to 250 or less. I'm considering getting back into game design and I'm excited at the prospect of being able to design on a much larger scale with today's tech).

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

ToxicFrog posted:

So when all the Red Faction stuff went on sale yesterday, I found out that - somehow - I already owned Red Faction 1 and 2 on Steam.

Time to fire up the original and see how well it holds up. :black101: Free Mars!
Surprisingly, it's still really good. Graphics hold up pretty well, and the music is absolutely fantastic.

Honestly I'm okay with RF2, but that's probably mostly because it was a really fun multiplayer shooter on the PS2 (and only PS2, I think the PC version had bots-only multiplayer, which is ridiculous for the PC).

Yodzilla posted:

That's Jason Statham. I'm not kidding.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Finished Red Faction 1. Overall: it's ok.

The big issue is that the geomod feature that was its main claim to fame back in the day is terribly underused. The enclosed nature of the levels means that it's hard to tell when and where it would be useful to blast holes, except in certain set-pieces that you're clearly meant to destroy; on top of that, most terrain is indestructable anyways.

This is an area that I now see RFG improved upon hugely: making all buildings destroyable makes it obvious what you can destroy, and the open nature of the levels means it immediately obvious what destroying something gets you (a back route into the control room, the one fewer guard tower, etc).

Without geomod, you're left with more or less a standard FPS, and while it's not bad, it doesn't really have anything else to set it apart, either.

tips
Feb 16, 2011

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

The worst thing is that every single attempt to create an "oldschool" FPS that I've ever seen, no matter whether it's by a big studio or an independent group, has basically failed completely on every level to really nail that feeling. Hard Reset was a title that billed itself that way, and it was basically a sci-fi Call of Duty that somebody slapped a coat of "oldschool" paint over. Like, you could tell they were at least trying to make you feel that way, but it just didn't work at all.
From a few pages back, but Hard Reset is the most modern shooter I've played with proper Quake style projectile weaponry and that actually emphasized dodging and movement over cover, it deserves some credit. The movement is pretty simplified, but calling it a COD clone is still pretty loving harsh.

It's no Painkiller or Doom or anything, but it pushed the same buttons for me at least.

Also there's Wrack, it's in alpha but it looks really solid so far and has Bobby Prince on board.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

PUKED posted:

Also there's Wrack, it's in alpha but it looks really solid so far and has Bobby Prince on board.
It's also designed by the original creator of Skulltag, which depending on your opinions on stupid community drama is either a plus or a minus.

I believe the mappers are all from the Doom community, too, so it's definitely got the old-school design aesthetic down.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

PUKED posted:

From a few pages back, but Hard Reset is the most modern shooter I've played with proper Quake style projectile weaponry and that actually emphasized dodging and movement over cover, it deserves some credit. The movement is pretty simplified, but calling it a COD clone is still pretty loving harsh.

The problem is, it tried to "emphasize dodging and movement over cover" by removing all of the cover but leaving you with the same slow half-jog with occasional brief sprints. Then they threw in enemies with instant-kill attacks that you can only reliably dodge by sprinting, ensuring that if there's one of those in the room you will never ever sprint in case you need it to dodge that attack, and to top it off each level is a totally linear sequence of cramped hallways and locked arenas.

Also, thanks to this limited sprinting, every enemy is faster than you, most of them love to get into melee, and the only weapons that are worth using you can easily kill yourself with if fired at point blank range.

They may have billed it as an old-school game, but they didn't manage to give it old-school weapons, levels, movement, or enemies.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Has someone already written a proper description for Tribes? I feel like giving it a shot.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

caldrax posted:

Hey I scanned the first 20 pages of this thread looking for Unreal Tournament references and then decided to skip to the end...

Anyone remember Cliffy B's "this map owns?" Well, I used to do custom mapping and I had a couple maps land on his coveted page. I still have them packed away in my little Mac UT folder, so I figured I'd share them in this thread, if anyone wants a couple new UT maps to play:

http://maurydegeofroy.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/ruineR-UT-Maps.zip
Cool stuff! You mean Cliffy B's ownage right? Man I remember those sites, gamespy is terrible now and has been for a long time but I remember when there was a reason to check PlanetUnreal and PlanetQuake (PlanetDuke was just nothing compared to Dukeworld. Over 10 years since it disapeared and I still miss that loving site)

quote:

Finished Red Faction 1. Overall: it's ok.

The big issue is that the geomod feature that was its main claim to fame back in the day is terribly underused. The enclosed nature of the levels means that it's hard to tell when and where it would be useful to blast holes, except in certain set-pieces that you're clearly meant to destroy; on top of that, most terrain is indestructable anyways.
Yeah. It was used like once or twice and then the rest was generic stuff. To it's credit, you can't really blow up a bridge to either stop an APC or make it fall to it's doom more than once without that feeling old as well.

Actually that's a lie, I'd still take that over the poo poo we get nowadays.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Red Faction 1 had some great guns though. A riot shield back in 2001, when it was a novel concept? Check. A flamethrower because flamethrowers are always a good thing? Check. A big, fuckoff break-open railgun that could see and shoot through walls? Double check. :black101:

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Red Faction 1 multiplayer was also really great, as I recall with my rose colored glasses. Tunneling into a map like a hermit and hording all the ammo was pretty fun.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Red Faction 1 had some great guns though. A riot shield back in 2001, when it was a novel concept? Check. A flamethrower because flamethrowers are always a good thing? Check. A big, fuckoff break-open railgun that could see and shoot through walls? Double check. :black101:

Those were the only interesting weapons in the entire game, though, and since flamethrower ammo is nonexistent and the railgun doesn't even appear until the last two levels, this means you'll spend 90% of the game using the pistol, shotgun, SMG, LMG, or one of the three rifles, with occasional deployment of the rocket launcher on those rare occasions when the terrain is actually destroyable.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I actually loved all the generic bullet guns in Red Faction. Unlike most other FPSes, they all felt distinct from one another with actual strengths and weaknesses. Then again, these opinions come from playing the game mostly in multiplayer since I always thought the singleplayer was dull and poorly executed.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Disproportionation posted:

That's Jason Statham. I'm not kidding.

Haha holy poo poo.

Kazvall posted:

Red Faction 1 multiplayer was also really great, as I recall with my rose colored glasses. Tunneling into a map like a hermit and hording all the ammo was pretty fun.

Digging tunnels, booby-trapping ammo drops and blowing apart the two fort arena was a blast. Red Faction multi owned and it was perfect for making up your own type of game modes.

PUKED posted:

First-person platforming and hurty water everywhere?? Sign me the gently caress up!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Finally started playing Brutal Doom (couldn't before because my laptop sucks). How do you use imps and zombies as meatshields? Am I dumb or did they remove the feature?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Mak0rz posted:

Finally started playing Brutal Doom (couldn't before because my laptop sucks). How do you use imps and zombies as meatshields? Am I dumb or did they remove the feature?

When an imp or zombies is mortally wounded (on their knees / crawling around), run up and right-click punch them to grab them. Periodically you may accidentally punch them to death, instead.

Cpt Thorne
Apr 13, 2009

Quake 2!

Here's two top players dueling in Edge, the most famous dueling map of all times. Purri from Sweden, maybe the best all around Q2-player and Provi from Finland, arguably the best Edge duelist in the world going at it in 2009.

There is English commentary on the videos to help you get a little better idea what's going on. Switch to hd and enjoy!

pt.1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9OAwvWlBrk

pt.2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKW-UcmAcu8

Frag Man
Sep 2, 2011
You guys know whats really missing in the OP for Half-Life? THEY HUNGER!
http://www.moddb.com/mods/they-hunger

A shame that the sequel seems to have died because of Neil Mankes health problems.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Cpt Thorne posted:

Quake 2!

Here's two top players dueling in Edge, the most famous dueling map of all times. Purri from Sweden, maybe the best all around Q2-player and Provi from Finland, arguably the best Edge duelist in the world going at it in 2009.

There is English commentary on the videos to help you get a little better idea what's going on. Switch to hd and enjoy!

Holy poo poo, that was an astonishingly one-sided beatdown. Provi seems to have almost prescient knowledge of his opponent's movements; I can't tell if he's reacting to audio cues that don't come through in the video, if he knows the flow of the map so well that he can reliably predict where his opponent will go next based on what they need, or if he's just guessing on the grounds that it's worth firing five rockets into empty halls if the sixth catches your opponent in the face.

Is it just me, though, or is Q2 not really well suited to 1v1 duels? It seems like once someone has an advantage, at least on a small map like this, they can pretty reliably control the map and keep their opponent from becoming a significant threat.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

FPS dueling is just a completely different sport than standard deathmatch. I recommend checking out the quakecon q3 world championships some time if you ever get a chance. Item control is the name of the game.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Cpt Thorne posted:

Quake 2!

Here's two top players dueling in Edge, the most famous dueling map of all times.

I'm curious why this map is that popular. From the video it doesn't look to have a good flow, theres lots of dead ends, the lighting turns the entire thing a yellow-ish brown. The few minutes I watched I couldn't figure out the layout.

Q2 was a little bit before my era but I find level design so goddamn fascinating that I really want to understand this.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

PUKED posted:

It's no Painkiller or Doom or anything, but it pushed the same buttons for me at least.

Nexuiz is basically UT99 running on Cryengine3. It needs a lot of patches and polish, but it is a pretty solid arena FPS that isn't whatever condescending name we are calling popular games these days.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

I'm curious why this map is that popular. From the video it doesn't look to have a good flow, theres lots of dead ends, the lighting turns the entire thing a yellow-ish brown. The few minutes I watched I couldn't figure out the layout.

Q2 was a little bit before my era but I find level design so goddamn fascinating that I really want to understand this.

That map is horrible - Q2 in general was a way less interesting 1v1 game than QW or Q3, but the default dm maps it included were remarkably awful. id mappers didn't have a clue at that time.

Some of the community maps were pretty drat good, but I had a lot more fun with CTF/other team based mods in Q2 than I ever did with dueling.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

(Disclaimer: it's been ages since I played Q2 - or any pure DM focused FPS - and when I did I never played at a high level.)

Hadlock posted:

FPS dueling is just a completely different sport than standard deathmatch. I recommend checking out the quakecon q3 world championships some time if you ever get a chance. Item control is the name of the game.

I get that item control is is a major part of it - that duel seemed to revolve heavily around keeping control of the superhealth room. What I was getting at is that it seemed that once he had control of it, he was extremely difficult to dislodge, given that he had loads of health and armour and a weapon for every occasion.

In full deathmatch I'd expect that to be less of a problem, since with so many people running around even a high-level player can get flanked or have a bunch of other players take a chunk out of him in quick succession, but in duel it seems like once someone has a lead, it's disproportionately hard to take that lead away from them, since they have a large health and weapon advantage (and that, in turn, makes it easier for them to exert control and keep you from becoming a threat in the first place - witness how many times Purri got whacked trying to get the railgun or minigun).

Basically, it feels like - especially on a small map like that - it's easy for a duel to be decided by whoever gets the first good run of kills, as that will likely leave the killer with a hard-to-overcome advantage that can carry them for the rest of the match if they're careful. Am I wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
Just about every FPS 1v1 design is flawed due to "winner's outs" where dying people come back typically way weaker than the surviving killing player is currently (no weapons, no armor, "average health"). Q2 just had it really bad because on top of that there was a weapon that did 100 damage instantly and you started newly spawned with 100 health and no armor. And the chaingun isn't really much different than the railgun in that you can do 100 damage really quick with just a second or two of sustained fire.

I seem to remember there being some issues with there being a severe lack of spawn points in most 1v1 maps as well, so map knowledge turned into a lot of knowing where to shoot rockets well ahead of time based on where the player possibly spawned and where they could possibly be going to next.

Also, weapon switch times in Quake 2 were stupidly long. You had to just decide to carry around a particular weapon when you went somewhere because once you saw someone at close quarters, switching away was pretty much the same as typing "kill" in the console.