Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Nyaa posted:

Ehh, it's a Japanese game. There's no English name for it.

Yeah, I was just looking for romaji because most places I go use Western characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

CestMoi posted:

Well your LP had better be entirely in Japanese else you won't be staying true to the source material.
Oh my apology, I posted that name assuming Explosionface would want to look it up himself.

Loosely translated it would be Mr.Universal Dating Day Life

Edit: Oh, let me find the romaji then...

Edit 2: Dekiru Otoko no Mote Life: Hiru no Mote Kouza Hen

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jul 23, 2012

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Nyaa posted:

Oh my apology, I posted that name assuming Explosionface would want to look it up himself.

Edit: Oh, let me find the romaji then...

Edit 2: Dekiru Otoko no Mote Life: Hiru no Mote Kouza Hen

Okay, now we can have a good frame of reference on this thing.

This is what your stills should look like. I took this one just using a built-in screenshot function, but capturing from a lossless video would yield the same results. After that, a quick crop and point resize net me this beutifully crisp png.

And here's approximately your same gif, but similarly not blurry. The key here is again lossless video and scaling without resample filters.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Alright, thanks, I will work on getting the same quality as yours.

Edit: Great, didn't notice there's a 2x nearest neighbor option in the Filter List, which I avoided.

So here the result. Slightly brighter than yours, but everything else seems great.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jul 23, 2012

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Nyaa posted:

That's what I meant - I didn't get why you had just posted the Japanese title, assuming you also knew what the English translation was.

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

Niggurath posted:

Really showing off game mechanics, history, etc. is good; I'd just be personally weary about doing a VLP if that is your plan.

Your points about what to watch out for in a VLP of Starcraft are valid, but imo there is absolutely no way that a SC LP should be a SSLP. I cannot think of any possible hook that would make a SSLP of Starcraft entertaining whatsoever.

When most people VLP RTS games, they fast-forward through the base building and other boring crap, and mostly focus on the actual fighting. I've always thought this approach worked fairly well, but it'll take some tweaking to get entirely right. RTS games, and especially one everyone has played like SC, will probably take a couple of runs through the Sandcastle before they're ready to go.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

What's with all the drama in the second Skyrim thread?

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Speedball posted:

What's with all the drama in the second Skyrim thread?

As far as I can figure, the OP started with a lackluster character creation post.

One guy complained, and got a response, but he pressed the point, other people came into defend and it started spiraling out of control.

I posted a "shut up and let's see the next update" response because it didn't appear awful enough to be gassed/reposted or anything, and it's totally possible that the OP couldn't do much with the game's character creation stuff (like they said) and is planning to kick it into higher gear next update.

It's one of those situations where it seemed like the complaint was valid, and the OP's first response seemed sane and measured, so I'm waiting to see where the thread goes for now. I might revisit some more individual posts later, but for now, I'm stuck late at my job with version control woes, and I wanted to at least stem the nonsense.

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

Edit: Nevermind. All's clear.

Thunderfinger fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jul 24, 2012

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Thunderfinger posted:

Just a heads up: blip.tv just went down, so you might want to have all of your videos backed up just in case if something happens. Just letting you know.

Seems to have been a false alarm as it works on my end at least.

TheWanderingNewbie
Oct 12, 2007

Gotta Get Dem Cheevos
Is blip making GBS threads itself again? Whole site seems to be down.

EDIT: Okay seems to be a false alarm but I can't load the site at all.

EDITEDIT: NM seems to be up again. :iiam:

TheWanderingNewbie fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jul 24, 2012

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

blip's twitter posted:

We're experiencing an unscheduled outage, we're working on bringing the site back up. Hang tight!
They aren't dead just having some issues.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

slowbeef posted:

That's what I meant - I didn't get why you had just posted the Japanese title, assuming you also knew what the English translation was.

I assume it was more of a "this will give you a hit if you plug it into Google" 'cause I doubt Mr. Universal Dating Day Life would've returned any results. At least, any relevant ones.

Q: Do thread titles support unicode, or is that just within the threads themselves?

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

The White Dragon posted:

I assume it was more of a "this will give you a hit if you plug it into Google" 'cause I doubt Mr. Universal Dating Day Life would've returned any results. At least, any relevant ones.
Yeah my bad, I just jumped to the notion that Explosionface is asking for a google hit to compare the image quality on google or getting the game himself and screenshot it for comparison.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Reposting this one with the intro as well as a more focused second update

"I'm a different kind of cop..." Let's Play True Crime: New York City

About the game
Just as the Grand Theft Auto series was reaching new heights of popularity with GTA3 and Vice City, many imitators were released. One of them, True Crime: Streets of LA, was popular enough to warrant a sequel, this time set in New York. The game stars street thug turned police officer Marcus Reed, who must solve the murder of his mentor and fellow officer Terry Higgins, while keeping the streets of Manhattan safe from crime. The game itself plays pretty much like a GTA game, except you have a badge and can now arrest people. Further aping trends set by Rockstar, the game features plenty of voice acting from several Hollywood stars such as Mickey Rourke and Christopher Walken.

This game was heavily trashed by the gaming press, and rightly so. When it was released for the 2005 holiday season, it was a rushed and buggy mess. The game would crash often on consoles, and certain copies of the game contained a bug that would make the game unbeatable. A PC port was quietly released later which fixed most of the issues with console copies, but had its own set of problems. I feel like this game gets a bad rep. In spite of all the bugs, it's still quite a fun alternative to GTA. Don't let the tone of the game's intro fool you either; this game is just as stupid and silly as the original and apes from cop shows and films just as much.

:siren: Please avoid spoiling the story in this thread. Keep plot predictions tagged and use good judgement. :siren:

Updates:

#1 - Prologue

#2 - The Investigation Begins

---
Some notes
* For the second video, I've thought about speeding up the interrogation sections of the gameplay. Those are going to be happening often, and the only thing that will really change is the dialogue.
* I've decided to take other people's advice from this thread and plan to put all the free-roaming stuff in separate updates between chunks of story missions.
* I already have a Blip account set up from past LPs as an alternate host.
* If anyone has suggestions on another thread title they are welcome.

Mezurya
Dec 31, 2011

That's how I do!

UnknownMercenary posted:

Looking much better, a lot more focused. I only have two things of advice:
-Your mic is still a bit buzzy, look at some guides to noise removal or look up some better quality mics if you're okay with buying some equipment
-You should put some text and the episode number on the pictures to make it look nicer.

Something like that would look nice, I think. Also, you should make those pictures into links, so people can just click on the pictures. If you don't know how to, I can let you know.

Mezurya fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jul 24, 2012

Heren
Jul 11, 2012

UnknownMercenary posted:

Great to see this back! Christopher Walken will never not be awesome. :allears:

As far as a title goes the one you have is fine. If you want to hook in more readers put whatever you think is most interesting about the game in the title. To SA goons it's probably going to be playing as a dirty cop, so something like "Plant Evidence, Take Bribes, Let's be a Cop in True Crime: New York City"

Overall these videos are much better than the first one, so congrats. It sounds like the game has audio issues. The phone calls cutting out when street noise interrupts them is fine, but when the audio gets stuck on a "Jesus! Motherfucker!" loop that repeats constantly it's annoying. The same goes for that fly buzzing sound later on. Don't know if there's anything you can do about it, but it's something to be aware of.

One thing I don't think you guys did is explain the HUD. I keep seeing +X career, which I assume is the leveling system, but the number on the badge goes down from 5 to 4 and I don't know what the semi-circle bars are for (assuming two are health and stamina, but then there are two more around the badge).

When it comes to explaining things I think you also need to cover the shoe collecting, showing up in a completely different set of clothes, and all the different types of crimes. But that's all stuff that can be covered in its own video(s), so the commentary on the first video seems okay.

For the post Mezurya made good points. You could use a smaller images and text links underneath it, or link a big image like that.

mmtt
May 8, 2009
Jumping out of burning airplanes ! A Medal of Honor: Airborne Let's Play

Hello, I'm mmtt and I'll take you through the Medal of Honor: Airborne (MoH:A for short) single player campaign. I'm lping this game for a few reasons:
One it's very short so there's a good chance I might finish my first (yay!) LP. To give you an idea, I actually played through the SP campaign in about 4/5 hours on Expert difficulty. It is quite easy although frustrating at times. I also quite enjoy the game openess in its level design. Openess in my mainstream FPS you may ask ? Well, MoH:A's core feature is the paradropping. At each mission start - and every time you die-, the player jumps out from a C-47 Dakota airplane right into the fight. This allows the player to land mostly anywhere on the level. This is actually the key focus of the game and its redeeming factor.
Other LPs have also inspired me such as Your Evil Twin's Wolfenstein LP or Stratafyre's Velvet Assassin. Those are WWII themed and I strongly recommend them.

Game Info:
Medal of Honor (MoH) is a series of first-person shooter video games. The first game was developed by DreamWorks Interactive (now known as Danger Close) and published by Electronic Arts for the PlayStation game console in 1999. The most well known title of the series is Medal of Honor: Allied Assault created by Steven Spielberg. It is famous for its recreation of the Omaha Beach scene from Saving Private Ryan. Medal of Honor spawned a series of follow-up games including multiple expansions spanning various platforms. The first twelve installments take place during World War II, while the more recent games focus on modern warfare. The next title in the franchise, Medal of Honor: Warfighter, will be released in late 2012 and takes place in the modern day.

MoH:A is the 11th installment of the Medal of Honor series. It was released in september 2007 on PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. In the single player, the players takes the role of PFC, later CPL, Boyd Travers, a paratrooper in the famous US 82nd Airborne Division, the only remaining paratrooper division in the US Army at this time since the 101st is now a light infantry division. We follow the 82nd through fictional actions inspired by real events in Italy, France, the Netherlands and Germany. As mentioned before, Airborne employs a nonlinear gameplay whereby the player can land anywhere on the map and take on the mission as he see fits.

MoH:A is a standard scripted FPS similar to CoD2 or CoD5 as such its mechanics should be familiar to almost everyone. The player carries two main weapons and sidearm through the missions. Each weapon can be upgraded three times adding various modifications to the weapon. These additions are gained through experience (ie killing nazis!). Airborne uses a partial regenerating health system similar to the Riddick games. There are multiple health bars that will regenerate if partially depleted. However, once fully depleted, damage goes to the next health bar and so on, until death ensues. The cover sysem also comes into play as it allows the player to lean while using ironsights or to go prone behind small cover. The player only takes 75% damage while in cover. While paradropping might seem very risky without any cover, damage is reduced by 75% while in the air. In some later missions, in expert difficulty, this isn't always enough and the player might die on landing.

Audience participation
For each Operation, I'll ask the audience if they want me to use any particular weapon. I'll try to stick to them during the mission and I hope provide different playstyles for the audience enjoyment.

Anyway, I'll try to showcase every weapon at least once during the campaign. The player can choose two main weapons, usually a SMG or Assault Rifle and a Rifle, and a sidearm most of the time the Colt .45. Grenades are another tool available of course. I'm also open to challenges and ideas. Initially in the campaign, most weapons are locked out but since I've already played through the campaign, I've access to all (most) weapons from the start of a new one. For the sake of historical accuracy and balance, I won't pick late war models right of the bat, so no Stg.44 in 1943.

Also, at the end of each mission, I'll be posting the briefing from the next one. I'll also try to provide an overview picture of the map. The audience can designate the DZ based on the intel they have from the briefings. If not, I will pick one that I hope provides the audience with some enjoyment.

Videos
Introduction and Training

Operation Husky Briefing

Weapon Selection
Despite claiming to be historical accurate, the weapon selection in MOHA isn't close to the equipment used by paratroopers. For instance, there is no M1 Carbine and the BAR is used a squad weapon instead of the .30 M1919 machine gun. There are no italian weapons instead Italian infantry is equipped with german weapons etc...
Post #2
For the first mission, I'll let you choose:
    Pistol:
    Colt .45
    The classic Colt .45 semi-automatic pistol with unlimited ammo. It has decent stopping power, but isn't very accurate with a low clip size. Main use is as a backup weapon for close-range combat if you run low on ammo.

Submachine Gun:
  • M1 Thompson/ M1928 Thompson:
    The infamous "Tommy Gun" full-auto submachine gun. It does good damage with a quick rate of fire. The high recoil prevents effective use at long range.

• Maschinen Pistole 40:
    The standard SMG of the Wehrmacht. With a lower recoil than the Thompson, it is much more controllable although slightly less powerful than the .45 rounds of the Thompson.

Rifle:
  • M1 Garand:
    The standard US rifle fielded to the US infantryman. An accurate, relatively powerful, quick-firing semi-automatic rifle. Due to being semi-auto, it can be employed at close range but mostly shines at medium to long range. It is also a very stable weapon platform.

• M1903 Sprinfield*:
    A bolt-action sniper rifle with a variable scope allowing you to pick enemies or MG position at long range. It's also powerful enough to usually kill most enemies in only 1 shot. A solid weapon hampered only by its very slow rate of fire which makes it ineffective in CQB.

*Note: This weapon would normally be unavailable to us in the first mission.

• Kar98k Karabiner Kurz:
    This classic German rifle issued to thousand of Axis troops is slow since it's bolt action and requires two shots to kill most targets, making it a pretty mediocre weapon. It does not come with a scope and is therefore quickly obsolete.

Shotgun:
  • M12 Shotgun:
    Mostly useful at short range but quickly loses power as range increases, less versatile than the SMGs.

Assault Rifle/Support Weapon:
  • M1918 Browning Automatic Rifle*:
    The BAR rifle has the accuracy and power of a rifle and the fast automatic fire of a submachine gun. But it's recoil is too heavy to make it a long range weapon and its magazine size is too limited as an assault weapon.

*Note: This weapon initially unavailable to us in the first missions. Was never issued to paratroopers.

Map of Operation Husky:

• The riskest option is the Town Hall. It is heavily defended making a frontal assault very difficult. It can be vertically envelopped by landing on the roof or attacked from the Alley to the East. Landing on the Tower is a possibility, giving us an opportunity to snipe enemy machine guns emplacement.
  • A somewhat safer option, the main gates leading to the AA guns outside the walls are good bottlenecks but can be flanked by landing on the walls.
  • The rest of the town is less defended and allows us to regroup with our allies before heading toward the next objective, a relatively safe option.

As mentioned, this is my first LP so I'm very noobish with all LP related stuff. Also be gentle, I'm not a native English speaker and I have a hard time speaking due to mouth aches atm. Any kind of help or tips is more than welcome. Encoding, editing, cropping whatever. Thank you.

mmtt fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 24, 2012

Signal Interrupt
Dec 31, 2011

mmtt posted:

Just letting you know that the videos aren't loading for me, at least not yet. Did you upload them very very recently?

Youtube posted:

"The video you have requested is not available. If you have recently uploaded this video, you may need to wait a few minutes for the video to process."

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Signal Interrupt posted:

Just letting you know that the videos aren't loading for me, at least not yet. Did you upload them very very recently?
Yea, I've got that as well and it's been that way for almost two hours or so. Might want to check on that, mmtt. Also you probably don't need to be so in-depth for your test post OP; I mean it doesn't hurt but it did take a bit to find the video in all those words.

mmtt
May 8, 2009

Signal Interrupt posted:

Thanks for pointing it out. It was a small mistake in the URLs. It should be fine now.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Evangelion meets Shin Megami Tensei. What could go wrong? Let's Play Devil Survivor 2! (This is just the first thing that came to mind, I'm open to suggestions)

So what's Shin Megami Tensei?

Shin Megami Tensei (or SMT) for short, is an long running series of video games (mostly RPGs) based of a Japanese novel. Why should you care? Because the series is awesome. The series predominantly features post-apocalyptic worlds, clashes between mythological figures (and religious figures), and gameplay that one could describe as apocalyptic Pokemon. Rather then dungeon-crawling with a party of human schmucks, the SMT lets you recruit and fight alongside various demons, from lowly Kobolds to Odin himself. At the heart of this is the series' fusion system, letting you combine your demons to make new more powerful demons. As well, gameplay is highly strategic, with the right party set-up, and use of buffs and status-effects (yes, they're useful) marking the difference between life and death. Most gamers are probably most familiar with the Persona franchise, a spin-off of SMT.

Tell me about Devil Survivor 2.

The two Devil Survivor games are another spin-off from the main series. Rather then being dungeon-crawlers, the game combines turn-based SRPG gameplay with normal turn-based combat. The result is something unique and fun, albeit somewhat flawed. When I say flawed, I mean Atlus throws some ridiculously bullshit design at your (mostly from the game's bosses). Not to say the game is hard, rather that it expects you to use the myriad options given to you to throw the bullshit right back. It's not for everyone, but it's pretty fun. The game is also somewhat open, allowing you to choose how to spend your limited time, with 5 different endings to be seen. Tying into this is the game's Fate system, which is essentially a refined version of the Social Link system from Persona 3/4. If you've never played those, the Fate system lets you choose at various points which playable characters you'd like to spend time with. As you spend time with the, their Fate level goes up, giving them bonuses in battle and you additional fusion options. And unlike in Persona 3/4, you'll always get more story whenever you spend time with anyone, with Rank ups not being tied to specific events.

Oh, and what's the game about? It's Evangelion. Well not really, but the plot shares some pretty close similarities with that of NGE, the main antagonists were even done by the same designer as the Angels in Evangelion.

Why not do the first Devil Survivor?

I like this one more. The gameplay is expanded and refined and the characters are more likeable. As well, DS2 came out late in the DS's lifecycle, and was somewhat overlooked because of it. If you've played the first, it is a step back in one way though. The plot isn't as good, and suffers from some weird tone issues. The designs for all the women are terrible as well. Seriously, they all have helium balloons strapped to their chests. I'm just going to say that here, and then leave it alone for the rest of the LP, because I'll have run out of anything funny to say about it by the second design.

How will the LP be run?

The LP's going to be predominately screenshots and GIFs, with the very occasional video for certain important moments. I'll let the thread decide how I spend my time, except when I have a compelling reason to take things into my own hands. Party composition will be tied to this; I'll use characters people choose to spend time with.

That's enough words, I think we should get this started:

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=1438

---

One thing I'd like input on is how I handled choices. The Hero makes a different face depending on what choices you make, but he makes the face on the next line of dialogue. This means I either have to not show the choices, not show the face, or show the choice followed by the face (which gets repetitive). I did the third option in the test-post, but I'd like some feedback on how that worked.

MellowHype
Jun 6, 2012

Oh how that plumber danced!

mmtt posted:

Don't talk over the cutscenes when there's voice acting. It's hard to try and listen to the voice actor if you're talking.

MellowHype fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jul 24, 2012

Lord Gorchnik
Jul 20, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

Devil Survivor 2
Like everything I see so far. Never played the 2nd one so it would be cool to see a LP of it. As far as face choices go, I would really be down for any of those. Though the first and the third seem the best way to go. As you said though, the third is repetitive and I doubt people would mind if you just typed out the responses you can give. Your LP though so your call once you see what others think.

A few translations/locale references if you care. Given the Japanese tone/setting/ of the game here are a few things of interest. Not sure if you were planning on throwing any of this in there. The only reason I even post this is due to your witty remark about the sign.

The sign you see at the beginning is basically "National College Student Entrance Examinations.....round 2, 3, or 4." Basically the "good" students have already taken their college examinations and this session is for kids who are "lazy" or just hadn't decided on a college yet. All Japanese students have to take exams to get into their College of choice. Better/More prestigious college = harder tests. The same happens when they apply for high school. Even for the "worst" colleges the exams are pretty brutal. This is why many foreigners (not just Japanese) come to America to go to college. Its cheaper, better, and it has that WOW factor on your resume when you go back home.

Also, the locale Q-Tront is basically a made up name for the giant TV that sits right outside Hachiko station in downtown Shibuya. It is ginormous. The street you see people crossing is the Scramble, one of the busiest intersections in all of Japan and has 6 different ways for you to get across. If these sound familiar its because they also appear in the DS game World Ends With You.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Cake Attack posted:

One thing I'd like input on is how I handled choices. The Hero makes a different face depending on what choices you make, but he makes the face on the next line of dialogue. This means I either have to not show the choices, not show the face, or show the choice followed by the face (which gets repetitive). I did the third option in the test-post, but I'd like some feedback on how that worked.

Does the game actually repeat the line you select or does it just skip to the next one?

Anyway, I'd go by the basic rule that any text that was already in a screenshot doesn't need to be shown again. So cut out the (part of the) line of the person asking the question/provoking the response, as well as your answer to it -- just make sure you have the right one selected in the screenshot.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Cake Attack posted:

Evangelion meets Shin Megami Tensei. What could go wrong? Let's Play Devil Survivor 2!

If you're going to have the dialogue choice you select highlighted, there's no real need to transcribe it immediately afterwards.

If you're going to have stats at certain levels, I think you should have something between 1 and 65. And why 65?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Does the game actually repeat the line you select or does it just skip to the next one?

Anyway, I'd go by the basic rule that any text that was already in a screenshot doesn't need to be shown again. So cut out the (part of the) line of the person asking the question/provoking the response, as well as your answer to it -- just make sure you have the right one selected in the screenshot.

What happens in game is that somebody will say something, then you'll get a choice in a new textbox (which is why I included the prompt in the talking head before the choice, although I can see why it would work to just cut out the prompt in the talking head). After you make your choice, somebody else will respond, and the hero makes an expression over that textbox.

The dilemma was that I wanted to show the available choices, and the expression made for my choice.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

If you're going to have the dialogue choice you select highlighted, there's no real need to transcribe it immediately afterwards.

If you're going to have stats at certain levels, I think you should have something between 1 and 65. And why 65?

65 is around engdame level, and more importantly, was what I could find. I thought it would be okay because there's no change in growths, stats stay at mostly the same ratio to one another.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Slight nitpick, but I thought the creature designer only did one or two designs for the new Evangelion movies? Don't remember hearing he worked on the original show.

Otherwise, liking it so far, but maybe make Shinji there a little less smug. Not sure I could get into The Adventures of Insufferable McAsshat for too long.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Slight nitpick, but I thought the creature designer only did one or two designs for the new Evangelion movies? Don't remember hearing he worked on the original show.

Otherwise, liking it so far, but maybe make Shinji there a little less smug. Not sure I could get into The Adventures of Insufferable McAsshat for too long.

That wasn't supposed to be Shinji, it was supposed to be me :v:. Yeah, I'll dial it back a little, the intro is a little dull so I may have gone too far trying to liven it up.

e: Yeah, I reread the update as if the italics were internal dialogue, and he's kind of insufferable. I don't know if it makes it better, but all the italics are just my personal commentary.

Janderbuilt
Mar 7, 2008

WoOt

I know this was pages ago but after your test post I downloaded the demo and then the full game, this has to be the most addictive game that I've ever played. I'm at the end of level 5 and I've never had so much fun feeling like a total idiot. Plowing through a production level thinking I'm clever for using 3 reactors (on a 5 reactor limit) only to finish the level and then see in the performance statistics that some rear end in a top hat (:v:) cleared it with only 1 reactor!

:negative:

A couple of questions:
- Will you be making LP videos for the standard game levels or is the focus solely on the competition levels?
- Will the DLC be covered, or required for participation?

You've already gone through the first level in that tutorial video. From what I've seen so far each new level has a fresh mechanic and the last levels of each world are really cool. I'd be particularly interested to see how the whole drat logic required for a production level gets squeezed into the fewest possible reactors.

Anyways, looking forward to it!

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Janderbuilt posted:

A couple of questions:
- Will you be making LP videos for the standard game levels or is the focus solely on the competition levels?
- Will the DLC be covered, or required for participation?

No comprehensive videos for the game levels, but some of the challenges will be similar, or use similar tactics so some levels will be covered. As for the dlc it's its own thing and can't have custom maps made from it. Owning the dlc is unnecessary. But I could do a video showing it off at some point... Or force a challenge to use the dlc gimmick, now that I think about it.

Lord Gorchnik
Jul 20, 2012
Heres a question for your Hybrid authors. When showing a video of a special cutscene/fight. Do you also like to post SS's of the same scene before or after the video in your update? Or do you completely leave out the SS? I've seen quite a few LPs do it all 3 ways. SS before the video, SS after the video, and no SS at all.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Lord Gorchnik posted:

Heres a question for your Hybrid authors. When showing a video of a special cutscene/fight. Do you also like to post SS's of the same scene before or after the video in your update? Or do you completely leave out the SS? I've seen quite a few LPs do it all 3 ways. SS before the video, SS after the video, and no SS at all.

I've can't say I've seen screenshots before the video, that just seems weird. I'd say it depends on the length of the video. If it's a short clip, just do the video, if it's longer do both. Or do both anyways, can't hurt.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Lord Gorchnik posted:

You could also put the video in as a hyperlink and have the screen shots of the same sequence under it for those who don't want to / can't see it. Any of them could work.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Lord Gorchnik posted:

I like to put it in SS, just because it kinda sucks when the video gets deleted/the site it was hosted on goes kaput. It's also courteous to people who can't play videos for one reason or another.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
Yeah, I never expect people to have to watch videos of things with dialog when I'm doing an LP.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
At risk of stating the obvious, if your LP is of an action game with separate plot segments then it might make sense present the plot-y bits in screen shots but that doesn't make you beholden to try to do the same with the action sequences. For an RPG or a strategy game where you do small videos to show off cutscenes, voiced dialogue and bosses then you should transcribe them as well.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Xerophyte posted:

At risk of stating the obvious, if your LP is of an action game with separate plot segments then it might make sense present the plot-y bits in screen shots but that doesn't make you beholden to try to do the same with the action sequences. For an RPG or a strategy game where you do small videos to show off cutscenes, voiced dialogue and bosses then you should transcribe them as well.

Along this line of thought I'd say look at KariOhki's lps as she frequently screenshots everything, but includes videos of battles and the like. Maybe that could help.

MellowHype
Jun 6, 2012

Oh how that plumber danced!
Alright well I've been getting some mixed emotions about my other vids, so I want to know what you guys think about this one. I want to make sure that it is appealing before I post it up. For whom this may concern, I took Heren's advice and tried to avoid saying stuff like "I don't know..." or just basically "I". I also avoided saying things that have a future tense. For example, something like,"I might..." or,"In the future I will..." so that way it won't seem like I'm being indecisive. Also, sorry for the white noise in the BG. I just noticed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_IuxIorOas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

So what do we have here? We have a test post for very fertile grounds. Now what I have in this test post is mostly to help people understand what will be in store regarding video quality (no flickering water in here) and audio quality (which I hope is alright), but what I hope to achieve with the actual thread is allowing some other peeps the chance to show off their own dreams and insights into their dreams to hopefully make a little collective of thought. Now obviously this could be horrible mess and it could just be me rambling off while random, odd poo poo goes on in the background but that would be fine to me as well (as I'll just offer up some guest spots). What I plan for each individual length for myself should be closer to either full dreams or reasonably cut up portions of dreams, and hopefully to show off a good amount of variance with what the game can give. So here's my short test post and I'll probably make something a bit longer and starting from day 1 for the actual OP. Any thoughts or problems with the video, then I'm all ears. And yes, I accidentally called the game a 'dream simulator' at the start and it's actually a 'dream emulator' so don't hate me too much.

LSD: Dream Emulator Test Post

• Locked thread