Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scott Justice
Jul 15, 2007
Hot Justice just sounds better
I'm getting my wisdom teeth taken out on Tuesday, anyone have any really good soup or purée recipes? I'd like to eat something not made out of pudding this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Scott Justice posted:

I'm getting my wisdom teeth taken out on Tuesday, anyone have any really good soup or purée recipes? I'd like to eat something not made out of pudding this week.

Here is an awesome potato soup I love to make. The recipe recommends crushing some of the potatoes and leaving some chunks but I prefer to use my stick blender to turn it into a thick, hearty bisque-type soup.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

I've been looking for a hand-cranked meat grinder to grind up small fish. For some reason all the ones I've found in Finland are made of tin coated cast iron, which to my understanding is a bitch to clean and store unless you really like rust. Is there any reason I shouldn't order a stainless one like this?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Scott Justice posted:

congee/arrozcaldo/lugaw/jook/chao.

Basically 1:10 rice:broth. Season with ginger, onion, bay leaf, garlic, and fish sauce. Cook until rice disintegrates. Garnish with shredded poached chicken, pork sung, hard boiled egg, scallions, chili oil, lemon, whatever you have lying around.

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
How in the hell do I do this?

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house
Just to end the knife derail, I assume you prefer a whetstone over a steel? Do you have a guide/video/book to using a whetstone (or a steel)?

I'm indeed having a hard time tracking down those knives you mentioned. I might have to go with the Global because I'm feeling bad about spending 150-200 bucks towards stuff I've never held in my hands before, for something as personal as knives.

Do you have recommendations for cheaper stuff (to hand to the guests, or that I could buy while I wait to find ones I really like) in the 50-75$ range for 20cm+?

internet inc fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jul 23, 2012

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

icehewk posted:

How in the hell do I do this?

Based on the upright shape of the egg, I would assume that the egg was soft boiled first, then placed in raw muffin dough. Muffin was baked just enough to finish the outside but not enough to cook the egg inside any more

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jul 23, 2012

Shiney McShine
Oct 12, 2010

paperwork
Personal Earpiece
OK, I wasn't sure where to post this question or if it has been covered before, but I need to know the best way to make a high viscosity sugar syrup, using cane sugar and water. I want a thick liquid syrup that can be poured and be able to stick onto things (I am making an ant bait), but not a thin watery syrup that flows too much.

I have obviously tried boiling sugar and water in a pan, stirring it until it reduces. The results never seem to come out the same, hence my questioning here. Sometimes I get a nice thick syrup, but other times, the dissolved sugar re-crystallises and settles out again, on top of a thin watery liquid syrup.

I suppose there are other things to look at like thickening agents, but is there a simple method of dissolving sugar in water (over heat) that will consistently result in a nice thick sugar syrup?

Shiney McShine fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jul 23, 2012

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

tariq aziz posted:

OK, I wasn't sure where to post this question or if it has been covered before, but I need to know the best way to make a high viscosity sugar syrup, using cane sugar and water. I want a thick liquid syrup that can be poured and be able to stick onto things (I am making an ant bait), but not a thin watery syrup that flows too much.

I have obviously tried boiling sugar and water in a pan, stirring it until it reduces. The results never seem to come out the same, hence my questioning here. Sometimes I get a nice thick syrup, but other times, the dissolved sugar re-crystallises and settles out again, on top of a thin watery liquid syrup.

I suppose there are other things to look at like thickening agents, but is there a simple method of dissolving sugar in water (over heat) that will consistently result in a nice thick sugar syrup?

Corn syrup. Just a spoonful will do.

EDIT: If you want to use just cane sugar and water and nothing else, then have a brush in plain water handy, and brush down the sides of your pot as you reduce the syrup.

Shiney McShine
Oct 12, 2010

paperwork
Personal Earpiece

pnumoman posted:

Corn syrup. Just a spoonful will do.

EDIT: If you want to use just cane sugar and water and nothing else, then have a brush in plain water handy, and brush down the sides of your pot as you reduce the syrup.

Corn syrup! I will give it a go. I have tried corn flour before with limited success. And yes, crystallisation on the sides of the pan is usually a sign that things are turning out bad.
Many thanks.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
This is a really long shot, but for people in the SF/Bay area:

I'm looking for a place where I can get Lithuanian baumkuchen/šakotis, which looks like this:

I could find it pretty easily in the northeast, but none of the eastern european places I've visited so far in SF have them. I would really, really, really love to find a place that carries it, it's one of my fave things ever and reminds me of my childhood.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!

tariq aziz posted:

Corn syrup! I will give it a go. I have tried corn flour before with limited success. And yes, crystallisation on the sides of the pan is usually a sign that things are turning out bad.
Many thanks.

You can use just straight up corn syrup for your trap. My go-to ant trap is to mix a ~10% by volume mixture of borax and corn syrup. I cut a cardboard square and spoon on just enough corn syrup for it to not drip off.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Scott Justice posted:

Revithia!

If you're afraid that the acid from the lemons might be too much, you can cut down on those and add a bit more sumac. I also throw some tomato, parsley, and basil in when I have them.

It's really filling and will help give you some protein! It's also good with shredded chicken, according to my husband.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

internet inc posted:

Just to end the knife derail, I assume you prefer a whetstone over a steel? Do you have a guide/video/book to using a whetstone (or a steel)?

I'm indeed having a hard time tracking down those knives you mentioned. I might have to go with the Global because I'm feeling bad about spending 150-200 bucks towards stuff I've never held in my hands before, for something as personal as knives.

Do you have recommendations for cheaper stuff (to hand to the guests, or that I could buy while I wait to find ones I really like) in the 50-75$ range for 20cm+?

Depends on the knife, more accurately the steel the knife is made of. European knives tend to use softer steel. This generally means a less aggressive edge with a tendency to have an edge that rolls or bends microscopically and feels dull relatively quickly but can be straightened with a honing steel. Japanese knives tend to use harder steels that can take a thinner more aggressive edge. These harder steels do not bend and are more brittle and prone to chipping. As a result, you get nothing from honing them. Actually you will probably just shave off the little ridges on the steel while dulling your blade if you tried to with something like that Moritaka Aogami.

The 210 honsho Kanemasa is $77. It is also stainless so will be easier to care for than Aogami. But in that range, honestly if you like the globals get them. As was mentioned personal preference is important.

_aaron
Jul 24, 2007
The underscore is silent.
I'm going to try to smoke a ~2.5 pound pork shoulder on a gas grill tonight. The plan is to wrap some soaked wood chips in some foil, get them to start smoking, then throw the shoulder on indirect heat for a few hours. I think I'm going to shoot for a grill temp of 300°. Any idea how long this might take to cook?

Also, I've got some fresh side I was considering laying over the shoulder as it smokes, letting the fat from the side "baste" the shoulder and also giving me smoked side. Terrible idea?

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I decided to make butter chicken tonight for dinner, and dug through the freezer for some chicken. I could have sworn we had a couple more packets of thighs :( But I was wrong, so breast meat it is. Blah.

And of course I decided to challenge myself to only use the food that's already in the pantry and freezer for a while, so it would be cheating to go out and buy thighs.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
I want to make something bean-centric, but most of what comes to mind is very spicy. As it is reaching 100 degrees outside, I don't want to make chili as avoiding peppers if possible, despite how much I enjoy them, would be kinder to everyone else. I also have the stipulation of not using pork- no ham or bacon for flavoring.

Are there dishes like this? I'm so used to making my beans spicy or in chili that I don't know how to reconcile it. The only thing I can think of is just straight up boiled beans with onions and garlic and such with some rice perhaps. I have black beans and red beans on hand and some canned pinto beans as well.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
Here are two cold bean salads that we've made and enjoyed. The first uses white beans and the second uses chickpeas.

edit: nvm did not see your bean requirements.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
I'm looking for a good iced chai recipe.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Charmmi posted:

Here are two cold bean salads that we've made and enjoyed. The first uses white beans and the second uses chickpeas.

edit: nvm did not see your bean requirements.

I think I'll make that second one in the near future regardless, so thanks!

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Comic posted:

I want to make something bean-centric, but most of what comes to mind is very spicy. As it is reaching 100 degrees outside, I don't want to make chili as avoiding peppers if possible, despite how much I enjoy them, would be kinder to everyone else. I also have the stipulation of not using pork- no ham or bacon for flavoring.

Are there dishes like this? I'm so used to making my beans spicy or in chili that I don't know how to reconcile it. The only thing I can think of is just straight up boiled beans with onions and garlic and such with some rice perhaps. I have black beans and red beans on hand and some canned pinto beans as well.

cassoulet, feijoada, fabada, baked beans, chana dal or really any dal.

You shouldn't feel like you need to avoid spicy foods when it's hot. Some of the spiciest food in the world comes from oppressively hot and humid regions. The raising of body temperature due to spice and the sweating makes the ambient temperature feel cooler.

_aaron posted:

I'm going to try to smoke a ~2.5 pound pork shoulder on a gas grill tonight. The plan is to wrap some soaked wood chips in some foil, get them to start smoking, then throw the shoulder on indirect heat for a few hours. I think I'm going to shoot for a grill temp of 300. Any idea how long this might take to cook?

Also, I've got some fresh side I was considering laying over the shoulder as it smokes, letting the fat from the side "baste" the shoulder and also giving me smoked side. Terrible idea?

Takes me around about 7 hrs to do shoulder at 250F on my grill. You will need to replenish those chips a lot. What I do instead is I turn on one side of burners on low, this settles my grill temp at ~250F. Then put the rubbed shoulder on the side with the burners off. I have a smoke generator which is basically a tin can with holes punched on the sides close to the bottom and a cheap soldering iron punched through them. Soaked chips are then fed on top and gravity feeds them onto the iron. The ash eventually falls out of the holes and you can easily replenish the chips without having to lift the grates. I place the smoke generator on the far corner of the grill away from the heat source.

You should also wrap all vents or whatever on the lid of the grill with foil to trap more of the smoke.

I haven't had very good results doing full cook under smoke. I think smoking until temp plateaus then wrapping and finishing to desired tenderness works well.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Everything I've read implies that pretty much all the smoke it's gonna absorb will happen within the first couple hours. Getting lots of smoke in that time frame will have a bigger effect than a little smoke for the full 7-8 hour cook.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I have a block of paneer I liberated from my mom's fridge and now I don't know what to do with it. :(

Is there something simple that comes to mind?

Also is there a way to get rid of salt from smoked salmon? The package I got was unbearable salty, so much that I can barely eat it. I don't want it salt-free, but any way to reduce the amount or serve it with something that will balance out the salty-ness.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Making a roast; should I definitely brown the meat in a pan before sticking in the oven? It's just a standard london broil roast yadda yadda.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

silvergoose posted:

Making a roast; should I definitely brown the meat in a pan before sticking in the oven? It's just a standard london broil roast yadda yadda.

There are two schools of thought for a roast: the sear before and the sear after. I generally subscribe to the cook to just below desired internal temperature slowly and on lower heat then sear off either under broiler, on a grill, or in a cast iron skillet. The latter being the conventional sear off then roast to temp. I like the former because then I'm less likely to have terribly burnt bits in the pan when I make a pan sauce to finish. If you're not making a pan sauce then there may not be much of a difference in practice.

Either way, be sure to rest adequately, 1/3rd of the total cook time.

Edit, for a London broil, meat of that thickness will be done quite quickly, so conventional "roasting" may not be the best method. I would pan roast it, which is to say, sear off then transfer pan to oven and take meat to desired temperature (I like mid rare for a cut like that). Rest, slice against the grain, serve up with some sort of acidy sauce like a chimichurri.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jul 24, 2012

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Comic posted:

I think I'll make that second one in the near future regardless, so thanks!
Make daal. It will be good.

2 cups beans, soaked overnight
3 TB canola, vegetable, or peanut oil
1/2 tsp black mustard seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp coriander seeds, lightly crushed
1 large Spanish onion, diced (you can also use white or red onions)
2 cloves of garlic, sliced
3 inches of ginger, grated
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 bunch cilantro (optional; if you hate cilantro, use parsley)

In a large pot, boil the beans until they're tender. While the beans boil, make your spice mix. In a separate pot, add the oil, and heat it over highest heat. When the oil is screaming hot, add the mustard seeds, and step back from the stove. They will pop and splutter like mad. If they don't pop and splutter, your fat is not hot enough. Wait until they do before moving forward. Nothing is worse than unpopped mustard seed in daal. Add the cumin seeds and coriander seeds, and let them splutter around a bit too. This should all take about 30 seconds - 1 minute.

Add the chopped onion, and sautee until tender. Add the garlic and ginger, and stir to combine. Add the turmeric powder, and stir well. Turn off the heat when the ginger begins to stick to the bottom of the pot. Take a ladle of bean water from the boiling beans, and splash it into the spices pot. Turn off the heat to the spices, and let it hang out until the beans are tender. Then, stir everything together to combine. Add the cilantro, and serve immediately with bread, rice, or a spoon.

The explanation is a lot longer than the actual making of the beans. They're dead simple to do. If you have a pressure cooker, you can actually knock up the spices in the pressure cooker, add the beans + their cooking water, and let it go all together. If you have a slow cooker, the same applies. Do the spice blend, add the beans, heave the whole lot into the slow cooker, and move on with life.

Yes, you may use tinned bean in this recipe.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

Jyrraeth posted:

I have a block of paneer I liberated from my mom's fridge and now I don't know what to do with it. :(

Is there something simple that comes to mind?

Saag/palak paneer and mattar paneer are two pretty well-known dishes featuring paneer, or you can simply cook it in your favourite curry. You can also grill it and use it as part of a salad (I make one with cucumber and cilantro that's quite nice), or as a brochette with veggies.

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.
What can I cook that will use up a package of fresh sage? The recipe I got it for only used a couple leaves.

oTHi
Feb 28, 2011

This post is brought to you by Molten Boron.
Nobody doesn't like Molten Boron!.
Lipstick Apathy
Make a sage and brown butter sauce for some potatoes.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe
I'm looking for good ideas to use my purple potatoes (technically they are "All Blue" variety but whoever named them was color blind imho). They need to be cooked whole with the skin on in order to retain their color but other than that they work pretty much like your basic all purpose potato. As a fun bit of plate color side dish they are great but I keep thinking that there has to be more awesome things I could do with them. I have about 10lbs left (not including what I have put aside to plant next year).

Here are some I boiled and put next to some chicken curry I made last night.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.

oTHi posted:

Make a sage and brown butter sauce for some potatoes.
Oh man, that sounds delicious. Thanks.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

dino. posted:

Nothing is worse than unpopped mustard seed in daal.

I don't think I've ever used anything but... daal to make daal so I may try this with various other beans, but I get the feeling this mustard seed thing is an issue I've been guilty of before. I'll definitely keep this recipe in mind next time I make it- I never 'properly' learned how to make it, just kind of watched my dad make it a million times and had vague understanding of what goes in and when. He's always been one to cut corners and use sub-par ingredients though so it may come out completely different from what I'm used to- he rarely goes to the effort to make bagar even.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Turkeybone posted:

I'm looking for a good iced chai recipe.

Because You'll be diluting it with the ice, use a strong Assam tea at double strength. In my own, I like green cardamom, whole black pepper, cinnamon, fennel, nutmeg, whole cloves, and just a splash or two of rose water and orange zest. I'll sometimes also throw in spearmint leaves in the summer to get it feeling refreshing. Oh and as much ginger (fresh) as you can take, then double it. Also, add sugar when everything is hot. Also, as it's Assam tea, boil that mess for a good 3 minutes, when the spices have boiled for 15 minutes or so. Let it chill overnight, and ice it down.

Tark
Sep 29, 2005
Newbie here! I just got fresh angus beef (different kinds) and if I understood correctly, I was told to keep it in the fridge for 3-4 weeks before use to allow it to mature. Just checking here - did I understand correctly? Is there a reason for this? There was quite a hassle at the market so I couldn't easily follow this up.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Tark posted:

Newbie here! I just got fresh angus beef (different kinds) and if I understood correctly, I was told to keep it in the fridge for 3-4 weeks before use to allow it to mature. Just checking here - did I understand correctly? Is there a reason for this? There was quite a hassle at the market so I couldn't easily follow this up.

This is called dry aging. Unless you have a lot of fridge space with no odors and don't plan on needing the fridge for the whole aging time, I wouldn't do it.

Also, the meat needs to not be in steaks, it needs to be in primals for proper dry aging.

Tark
Sep 29, 2005

GrAviTy84 posted:

This is called dry aging. Unless you have a lot of fridge space with no odors and don't plan on needing the fridge for the whole aging time, I wouldn't do it.

Also, the meat needs to not be in steaks, it needs to be in primals for proper dry aging.

I wasn't very specific. It's vacuum sealed, so no odors - unless you are saying I should whip it out.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That's called wet aging, and you should see benefits for leaving it like that up to 4 weeks.

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
Does anyone have that youtube of Martin Yan actually explaining how he cuts apart a chicken? All I can find is endless versions of him doing it in 18 seconds, which while impressive doesn't actually help me learn how to butcher a chicken. I know I've seen it before recently but I can't find it now.

nomarsh
Feb 13, 2012

hey folks. I have a cooking dilemma and you all are much better at cooking than me so I'm wondering if anyone can help me out.

I'm visiting with family and I've got a person who's not doing so hot and per doctor's orders is on extremely restricted diet called low FODMAP. Here's a list of can and can'ts PLUS in her case, she also cannot have gluten, dairy, nuts, or legumes. Acidic things like lemons and limes are ok in small amounts. Fibrous veggies are ok, but again not a whole lot at once. She can eat most meat, eggs and dark greens like baby spinach go well.

I really want to cook meals that she can join & give her some recipes to leave with. last night was I did spinach salad with chicken & balsamic dressing, but that is where my ideas end. If anyone can think creatively around these insanely tight restrictions it'd be appreciated!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Semisponge posted:

Does anyone have that youtube of Martin Yan actually explaining how he cuts apart a chicken? All I can find is endless versions of him doing it in 18 seconds, which while impressive doesn't actually help me learn how to butcher a chicken. I know I've seen it before recently but I can't find it now.

There are zillions of youtube videos by other people showing how to piece a chicken