Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Metal Loaf posted:

Yeah, I'd agree with that. The Legacy Of the Force series in particular seems a trifle more inclined to pretend that the NJO (aside from developments such as the birth of Ben Skywalker, the deaths of Anakin Solo and Chewie, that sort of thing) never happened and they're picking up from the end of the YJK series or something.
It often does feel like that. For the most part the NJO doesn't mention YJK much at all. When Yavin is invaded JJK is brought up to introduce more of Anikin's back story and a prophecy that never ends up meaning anything. If I remember right LOTF has numerous callbacks to YJK, although the only one I remember specifically was a flashback to the Shadow Academy in one of the later books.

Oh well. Mercy Kill comes out in like 2 weeks, that's something to be happy about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There were a couple of prophecies that never really went anywhere in NJO. The most important one, as I recall, was the "Sword of the Jedi" thing, though from what I remember they at least tried to tack that on to the end of LOTF.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

Metal Loaf posted:

There were a couple of prophecies that never really went anywhere in NJO. The most important one, as I recall, was the "Sword of the Jedi" thing, though from what I remember they at least tried to tack that on to the end of LOTF.

They did, and they mention it a number of times in FotJ as well, but I don't think it really amounted to anything more than the end of LotF. I just don't think they handled it very well.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Casyl posted:

They did, and they mention it a number of times in FotJ as well, but I don't think it really amounted to anything more than the end of LotF. I just don't think they handled it very well.

It's kind of weird that they didn't capitalise on the Sword of the Jedi prophecy as much as they could have during the NJO series.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Casyl posted:

Did they ever actually do anything with it, or just use it as a "Jaina's a brooding antihero"

I mean, I would assume that they didn't actually pay attention to it given the last thing that happens in LotF.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

OriginalPseudonym posted:

Did they ever actually do anything with it, or just use it as a "Jaina's a brooding antihero"
They kind of act like it's just something Luke blurted out without thinking, which by now seems about right.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
Why does Lucasfilm see the need to drag out the movie characters? Just let them die. The Old Republic Era and the Legacy comics open up a whole new generation of stories that they could exploit, yet they keep focusing on the geriatric Luke, Han, and Leia fighting crime and the forces of evil. I'm pretty sure they're well past retirement age at this point.

I say end it at Crucible, then expand on the story began in the Legacy comics. I found Cade a somewhat entertaining character, if at times annoying. But even then he just fits in with his lineage. The Skywalkers almost always have a tradition of being annoying little fucks, until they do something to redeem themselves.

They could easily leave everything related to the Original Trilogy alone and without even touching it, continue building a world around it. Dawn of the Jedi, the Old Republic, and Legacy are infinitely more fun to read than whatever the hell Luke Skywalker is up to inbetween fighting his impending incontinence and dementia. I think the future of Star Wars as a franchise should be more about this world that's been built than any specific characters.

/end rant. I'm bitter and way too concerned with Star Wars for a man my age.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I don't want them going out on a Troy Denning book.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Seriously, I can't believe the only movie character they've killed off is the only one that age wouldn't really hamper. It makes no sense to me.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Casimir Radon posted:

I don't want them going out on a Troy Denning book.

I'd emptyquote this if I could. But gently caress Troy Denning. Fire him, burn his books, salt the loving earth.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

arioch posted:

I'd emptyquote this if I could. But gently caress Troy Denning. Fire him, burn his books, salt the loving earth.

Star by Star wasn't that bad... But nothing can excuse that loving bug trilogy, one of the worst wastes of money ever.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

arioch posted:

I've heard rumors that apparently Matthew Stover has expressed interest in writing the deaths of the OT characters in some sort of "final adventure." By god, I'd personally fly out and kiss whoever greenlighted that. It'll probably never happen though..

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Yes, please let it be Stover or Zahn or someone competent who gets to kill them off.

VaultAggie posted:

Star by Star wasn't that bad... But nothing can excuse that loving bug trilogy, one of the worst wastes of money ever.
Star by Star was only his first book. It was all downhill from there.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Esroc posted:

I've heard rumors that apparently Matthew Stover has expressed interest in writing the deaths of the OT characters in some sort of "final adventure." By god, I'd personally fly out and kiss whoever greenlighted that. It'll probably never happen though..

Yeah, Stover and Zahn have both said they'd be interested in doing something like that. It could be pretty good but I don't imagine it'll be happening any time soon; Luke was apparently slated to die way back in Vector Prime but Lucas himself vetoed it.

It seems that Troy Denning is what sells at this point; he wouldn't be writing if people weren't buying them. I've seen more than one fan on the internet praising him (and Karen Traviss as well, when she was writing) for making Star Wars more mature. This bothers me.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

Yeah, Stover and Zahn have both said they'd be interested in doing something like that. It could be pretty good but I don't imagine it'll be happening any time soon; Luke was apparently slated to die way back in Vector Prime but Lucas himself vetoed it.

Does Lucas even read this poo poo? Like, how he would he know what's good for the overall Star Wars canon? Obviously someone must've advised him (Leland Chee?) on the tenets of shooting the idea down.

e: also did Lucas really destroy the original star wars negatives and if yes is there a source

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Metal Loaf posted:

It seems that Troy Denning is what sells at this point; he wouldn't be writing if people weren't buying them. I've seen more than one fan on the internet praising him (and Karen Traviss as well, when she was writing) for making Star Wars more mature. This bothers me.

I'll always defend Traviss. While she may be a nutjob as a person, I count her Commando books as some of my favorite. And I somewhat agree with her (to a point) that the Jedi are a bunch of holier-than-thou dipshits that just want everyone to shut up because using the force somehow makes them know how to run a Galaxy better than anyone else.

At least the various Sith tried to do something about the state of the Galaxy. The Jedi mostly just sit around eating tofu and not getting laid while telling everyone else what to do with their lives.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Does Lucas even read this poo poo? Like, how he would he know what's good for the overall Star Wars canon? Obviously someone must've advised him (Leland Chee?) on the tenets of shooting the idea down.

e: also did Lucas really destroy the original star wars negatives and if yes is there a source

Last time Lucas read Dark Empire, we got the prequals.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I may be the only one here that didn mind Dark Nest. I don't think there was enough material there to warrant a trilogy, but it was an interesting concept, and gave us UnuThul, who I find to be quite a good character. Loved how he went from being a cocky little poo poo in YJK to what amounted to a Head of State, then became a sorta-deranged Jedi and is quite possibly now stuck with the bugs again.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Esroc posted:

I'll always defend Traviss. While she may be a nutjob as a person, I count her Commando books as some of my favorite. And I somewhat agree with her (to a point) that the Jedi are a bunch of holier-than-thou dipshits that just want everyone to shut up because using the force somehow makes them know how to run a Galaxy better than anyone else.

I think Timothy Zahn tried to highlight something like that with the way he wrote the original Jorus C'Baoth in Outbound Flight; he was basically the Jedi equivalent of a radical religious fundamentalist who thinks that he's better than people who don't have the Force.

I don't really take issue with the more critical approach to the Jedi because I think that's an interesting angle to take. Even so, I get the impression that a lot of the problems are basically down to how the Jedi were represented in the prequel movies, because that's the portrayal the EU has had to conform to for the past decade or so.

I've heard that he's read some of it. I think Lucas once said that Dark Empire is his favourite story outside the movies but I don't know if there's a source for that.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Metal Loaf posted:

I think Timothy Zahn tried to highlight something like that with the way he wrote the original Jorus C'Baoth in Outbound Flight; he was basically the Jedi equivalent of a radical religious fundamentalist who thinks that he's better than people who don't have the Force.

I don't really take issue with the more critical approach to the Jedi because I think that's an interesting angle to take. Even so, I get the impression that a lot of the problems are basically down to how the Jedi were represented in the prequel movies, because that's the portrayal the EU has had to conform to for the past decade or so.
I love both Jorus in Outbound Flight and Kreia in KotOR II for highlighting this without being as insufferable as Traviss' writing could be at times.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

They need to let Stover write the Big Three deathes in a Caine-esque gore sequence. The man knows how to be violent and graphic

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I think they ought to just put the big three in the background and let the next generation and secondary characters take over. They can go through their boring aging poo poo in the background, occasionally taking part or giving sage advice, and be spared gruesome deaths.

Mind you this image is pre-Abeloth, so it's actually kind of refreshing.

EddieDean
Nov 17, 2009
Problem with killing Luke (especially) off is that they'd have to do it in the most overdramatic way possible. And the whole nine-book saga would be built around it, with ham-fisted foreshadowing at every turn, and a massively impossible super-threat which Luke ends up only beating by turning himself into a massive Deus Ex force explosion to make everything right.

No, wait, Han would be killed by the super enemy to show off just how bad serious they are, Leia would turn to the darkside in grief and Deus Ex herself into a force explosion which would kill the bad guys but also wipe out all life in the galaxy, and THEN Luke would have to lightside explode to save her.

I mean, I guess so, though all I've read (other than this thread) post-films is up to Heir to the Empire, and the Legacy comics.

What I'm saying is, it would be silly.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Casimir Radon posted:

I think they ought to just put the big three in the background and let the next generation and secondary characters take over. They can go through their boring aging poo poo in the background, occasionally taking part or giving sage advice, and be spared gruesome deaths.

It seems to me that they missed their chance to do that. They could have passed the torch at the end of the NJO but for whatever reason they decided not to.

EddieDean posted:

No, wait, Han would be killed by the super enemy to show off just how bad serious they are, Leia would turn to the darkside in grief and Deus Ex herself into a force explosion which would kill the bad guys but also wipe out all life in the galaxy, and THEN Luke would have to lightside explode to save her.

Stover did something a little bit like that in Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor (which is the last EU book I've read).

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Jul 25, 2012

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Casimir Radon posted:

Mind you this image is pre-Abeloth, so it's actually kind of refreshing.

We need a 'gently caress YOU TROY DENNING' version of this or something like it.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

EddieDean posted:

Problem with killing Luke (especially) off is that they'd have to do it in the most overdramatic way possible. And the whole nine-book saga would be built around it, with ham-fisted foreshadowing at every turn, and a massively impossible super-threat which Luke ends up only beating by turning himself into a massive Deus Ex force explosion to make everything right.

I mean, I guess so, though all I've read (other than this thread) post-films is up to Heir to the Empire, and the Legacy comics.

What I'm saying is, it would be silly.

This sounds like exactly what would happen. It's amazing how right (and wrong) it feels. Well done.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

SeanBeansShako posted:

We need a 'gently caress YOU TROY DENNING' version of this or something like it.

Abeloth, bug-loving, Jacen-with-Sith-bullshit-yellow-eyes, Anakin dying, Anakin-the-Centerpoint-station, bug-loving, Ta'a Chume-aneurysm-bathtub-with-Jacen-and-Ben-watching, bug-loving, toss in random Karen Traviss Mandalorian poo poo everywhere too and we'll have StarWars2010.jpg

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

arioch posted:

Abeloth, bug-loving, Jacen-with-Sith-bullshit-yellow-eyes, Anakin dying, Anakin-the-Centerpoint-station, bug-loving, Ta'a Chume-aneurysm-bathtub-with-Jacen-and-Ben-watching, bug-loving, toss in random Karen Traviss Mandalorian poo poo everywhere too and we'll have StarWars2010.jpg

Don't forget paedophile Sith apprentice Tahiri (as much as we may like to).

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

arioch posted:

From what I'm told, the Anakin thing was actually on orders from Lucas. Apparently he thinks the readers are as dumb as he is and that they'd get "confused" by having both Anakin Solo and Anakin Skywalker.

Tumblr of scotch fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jul 25, 2012

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Metal Loaf posted:

Way to remind me, thanks jerk.

Flagrant Abuse posted:

From what I'm told, the Anakin thing was actually on orders from Lucas. Apparently he thinks the readers are as dumb as he is and that they'd get "confused" by having both Anakin Solo and Anakin Skywalker.

Troy Denning is still the hatchetman. Lucas is StarWars2000.jpg anyway.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

Don't forget paedophile snuffbait Sith apprentice Tahiri (as much as we may like to).

Fixed.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Flagrant Abuse posted:

This is the second time I've said this itt:

Are you motherfucking kidding me??

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder if it would have made more sense for Jacen Solo to die in Star By Star, as I've heard was the original intention. I wonder how things might have turned out differently if he had.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

This is the second time I've said this itt:

Are you motherfucking kidding me??
The last NJO book has a big interview with a few of the writers and editorial staff at the end of it. They mention it in there. I'll see if I can find my books and the passage in question.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Metal Loaf posted:

I wonder if it would have made more sense for Jacen Solo to die in Star By Star, as I've heard was the original intention. I wonder how things might have turned out differently if he had.

This is correct, and they discuss it in that post-NJO interview which Flagrant Abuse mentioned.

I think NJO-wise not much would have changed, Jacen and Anakin would have just been swapped in everything after Star By Star. As far as the post-NJO EU goes, I guess we might not have had to deal with Legacy of the Force since a lot of that dealt with only Jaina being able to beat her twin. But lets be honest, the EU writers would have still been able to find a way to poo poo something out for all of us to complain about no matter what characters made it through the NJO.

astr0man fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jul 26, 2012

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

Uh... what?

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Arbite posted:

Uh... what?
If I'm remembering right, she tried to seduce Ben, who was at the time... I want to say about 15?

e: And she's also like 13 years older than him, too. Almost twice his age at the time.

Tumblr of scotch fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jul 26, 2012

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Flagrant Abuse posted:

If I'm remembering right, she tried to seduce Ben, who was at the time... I want to say about 15?

Not disagreeing with anyone's distaste of that scene, but it always struck me as if Tahiri was just kinda playing it by ear at that point. If we could have seen her thought process, it would have been something to the effect of "Okay, okay, I'm in control here, he's at my mercy...what happens in all the holodramas when the badass villain lady has the hero at her mercy...Uhhhh, okay let's try seduction, that's a good trick."

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Anyway, as regards Jacen Solo being slated to die, it makes a lot more sense when you look at how Anakin was developed in the first half of the NJO. Depending on how the second half of the series would have gone with Anakin as the main character (I'm not sure we'd have seen him being captured by the Yuuzhan Vong and trained by Vergere; it might have happened anyway), it strikes me as more likely that he would go over to the dark side than Jacen, if that's what they were intent on happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

jivjov posted:

Not disagreeing with anyone's distaste of that scene, but it always struck me as if Tahiri was just kinda playing it by ear at that point. If we could have seen her thought process, it would have been something to the effect of "Okay, okay, I'm in control here, he's at my mercy...what happens in all the holodramas when the badass villain lady has the hero at her mercy...Uhhhh, okay let's try seduction, that's a good trick."

Tahiri is literally 10 years older than Luke and Leia were, and about as old as Han, when they were busy saving the galaxy and taking out the Empire.

It is completely unacceptable characterization in every single way.