Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

truth masseuse posted:

Merlin was a decent Ancient in assisting to get rid of the Ori. But then again he did invad Daniel's mind which could have killed him. What a dick.

...and the ancients sent Morgan to try to kill Merlin and it's only the fact that she became convinced he was right that she didn't. The ancients went out of their way to be dicks.

The only way they forgave Oma or Morgan was for them to be in those "eternal battles".

Zoe posted:

Hey guys, there's still a ton of SG-1 I haven't seen so I'm making my second attempt to watch the whole thing in order from the beginning (first attempt was a few months ago and got side-tracked by RL problems).

IIRC there was an old Let's Watch thread floating around ages ago...anyone still have a link to that? I want to read other people's reactions as I go but lots of spoilers in this thread. :ohdear:

Only Eating apples has a blog where she posted her reactions as she went through the series. The link is in the thread if you wanna read it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

JetsGuy posted:

Eating Only Apples has a blog where she posted her reactions as she went through the series. The link is in the thread if you wanna read it.

Fixed the name for you, but yeah, here's the link to save you trawling through the whole thread. Though she hasn't updated it in months! :argh:

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
She's too busy playing The Sims! :argh:

Thanks for the link, those are good reviews/first impressions/whatever and just what I was looking for. It's too bad they just cover the first few episodes though...think I may have to go over to her LP thread and give her a friendly reminder in a bit. :ese:

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Zoe posted:

She's too busy playing The Sims! :argh:

Thanks for the link, those are good reviews/first impressions/whatever and just what I was looking for. It's too bad they just cover the first few episodes though...think I may have to go over to her LP thread and give her a friendly reminder in a bit. :ese:

First few episodes? Check the rest of the pages, it goes up to near the end of season 5.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

First few episodes? Check the rest of the pages, it goes up to near the end of season 5.

I am not good at the internet. :saddowns:

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Anyone else catch Teal'c as one of Bane's henchmen in The Dark Knight Rises?

Also, apparently the Batman and SG-1 worlds share the same president - William Devane.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hewlett posted:

Also, apparently the Batman and SG-1 worlds share the same president - William Devane.

I loved that and totally forgot that I was going to make this very same post.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Hewlett posted:

I was totally hoping that

he'd say NOT GONNA HAPPEN

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

JetsGuy posted:

I was totally hoping that

he'd say NOT GONNA HAPPEN

I was hoping for an 'indeed'.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
Hey what happens if you walk through the back of an active stargate?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
You come out the back of the other one, duh.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

longview posted:

Hey what happens if you walk through the back of an active stargate?

Much the same as happens if you try to walk back through a gate that has been opened from the other end, vaporized.

Yet another of the many problems the ancients could have easily prevented but decided not to.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
So I have been a trekkie my entire life. For longest time, I harbored a lot of prejudice against Stargate basically because it wasn't Star Trek. That was stupid, and I'm happy to say I've just finished my first watch-through of SG-1 and I loved it. I can't believe I avoided it for so long, and I think it's actually much better than a lot of Trek.

I did watch Ark of Truth and it was okay. Nice to wrap up the Ori arc (Which I actually loved), but the replicators bit was lame. And there was no good Teal'C fight scene!

I'm on like, episode 7 of Atlantis, and other than hating the new gate design, hating Teyla, and finding Dr. Weir incompetant, I think it's nice to get back to the feel of earlier SG-1. The wraith look mind bogglingly stupid, I hope that their makeup improves in any way. Still, I guess it's better than when all Jaffa wore those snake helmets...

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

Snak posted:

Still, I guess it's better than when all Jaffa wore those snake helmets...

Aww I miss those snake helmets. It was a special moment between me and the television every time someone retracted their helmet and it conspicuously only opened halfway with a klunk, like a knight with a rusty helmet. Then there would be a cut to something else for a second and the Jaffa would be shown again, standing there with his helmet having suddenly retracted the rest of the way.

The helmets were a perfect match for all those early Jaffa who somehow fired their staff weapons while they were closed.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Noni posted:

The helmets were a perfect match for all those early Jaffa who somehow fired their staff weapons while they were closed.

And all those Jaffa that have zats that can't extend. :v:

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

JetsGuy posted:

And all those Jaffa that have zats that can't extend. :v:

It's a common problem with older Jaffa, try to be a little more sensitive about it.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

Senor Tron posted:

Much the same as happens if you try to walk back through a gate that has been opened from the other end, vaporized.

Yet another of the many problems the ancients could have easily prevented but decided not to.

Man, they really were dicks weren't they.

I don't get why the SGC never bothered to ask the Tok'Ra or any one of the ancients, or the Atlantis team to dig out the datasheet for the gate-DHD interface. Ancients probably had terrible coding practices and nobody ever bothered to write one.

longview fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jul 23, 2012

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

longview posted:

I don't get why the SGC never bothered to ask the Tok'Ra or any one of the ancients, or the Atlantis team to dig out the datasheet for the gate-DHD interface. Ancients probably had terrible coding practices and nobody ever bothered to write one.

Looks at Ancient code base, no loving comments anywhere :mad:

Doug Sisk
Sep 11, 2001

golgo13sf posted:

Looks at Ancient code base, no loving comments anywhere :mad:

I always told myself that the people who could code couldn't read ancient, and those that could read ancient couldn't code. That covers a lot of bases, until later in the series and Atlantis anyway.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Noni posted:

Aww I miss those snake helmets. It was a special moment between me and the television every time someone retracted their helmet and it conspicuously only opened halfway with a klunk, like a knight with a rusty helmet. Then there would be a cut to something else for a second and the Jaffa would be shown again, standing there with his helmet having suddenly retracted the rest of the way.

It always struck me as odd that they had a full CG-sequence for the Horus helmets extending and retracting fully into their suits, but never one for the snake heads.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

longview posted:

When you open a Stargate connection, 4 wormhole barriers become available. Front and back of the sending gate, front and back of the receiving gate. Of those 4 options, 3 will kill anyone trying to use it.

Forum Actuary
Jan 23, 2004
BRITISH
I think the Horus one was just reused from the movie. If I remember right, we didn't actually see it in the show until season 8 or so when Teal'c wears one for a bit, but may be wrong on that.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Senor Tron posted:

When you open a Stargate connection, 4 wormhole barriers become available. Front and back of the sending gate, front and back of the receiving gate. Of those 4 options, 3 will kill anyone trying to use it.

All 4 will kill you if you're too close as well!

The Ancients were real dicks.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah the Horus guard helmets that we see in the show retract about as much as the snake ones, but they looks less retarded. Then in like season 8, when they time travel back to when Ra is on earth, Teal'C gets a movie style one that is totally kickass. I can't believe they didn't start using those in the show more. Ironically, in the same episode, Ra's mask looks like total poo poo.

The best part of Ark of Truth was definitly Teal'C's speach to Tomin about how there will never be redemption for the attrocities committed in the name of a false god an you will never forgive yourself... but that's no excuse to stop fighting for what is right and just.

edit: VV yeah I guess with a mask there's basically no economical way to do it even with just CGI.

Snak fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jul 24, 2012

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The masks were a pain in the dick and cost too much. The movie could do it because it was a movie.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

IRQ posted:

Wait, does the vortex form on both sides? I know the movie had that swirly effect in back, but I thought the kawoosh was only on the "front" of the gate in the show.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Idran posted:

Wait, does the vortex form on both sides? I know the movie had that swirly effect in back, but I thought the kawoosh was only on the "front" of the gate in the show.

That is correct.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Snak posted:

That is correct.

No, it's not. The kawoosh only forms out the front of the gate. The guy saying all 4 sides/event-horizons of a gate connection can kill you meant the front and back of an incoming, the back of an outgoing, and the kawoosh at the front of an outgoing.

*edit* I assume you thought by "both sides" he meant the dialed gate and the receiving gate, rather than the front and back of a gate.

GuardianOfAsgaard fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jul 24, 2012

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
In the film the wormhole trails off behind the gate like water going down a drain. An effect that was probably too expensive to do in the series every episode.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Isn't there a small backward kawoosh too? I culd swear there was.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Rhyno posted:

In the film the wormhole trails off behind the gate like water going down a drain. An effect that was probably too expensive to do in the series every episode.

This is correct.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT
Also, when they're in the southern hemisphere, the gate flushes counter-clockwise.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

No, it's not. The kawoosh only forms out the front of the gate. The guy saying all 4 sides/event-horizons of a gate connection can kill you meant the front and back of an incoming, the back of an outgoing, and the kawoosh at the front of an outgoing.

*edit* I assume you thought by "both sides" he meant the dialed gate and the receiving gate, rather than the front and back of a gate.

Actually, I meant this part

Idran posted:

... I thought the kawoosh was only on the "front" of the gate in the show.

But I can see how that was confusing.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
Would be pretty funny if a planet for some reason had the gate upside down, so every time they gated in to it they'd come tumbling out. Also when they gate out they'd probably form inside the floor at the bottom :smith:

Also the Directors commentary is pretty interesting, for instance: Walter does not wear pants during shooting, and his favourite chevron is #3.

Elrond Hubbard
Mar 30, 2007

To ERH
*everyone applauds*

Snak posted:

Yeah the Horus guard helmets that we see in the show retract about as much as the snake ones, but they looks less retarded. Then in like season 8, when they time travel back to when Ra is on earth, Teal'C gets a movie style one that is totally kickass. I can't believe they didn't start using those in the show more. Ironically, in the same episode, Ra's mask looks like total poo poo.

The best part of Ark of Truth was definitly Teal'C's speach to Tomin about how there will never be redemption for the attrocities committed in the name of a false god an you will never forgive yourself... but that's no excuse to stop fighting for what is right and just.

edit: VV yeah I guess with a mask there's basically no economical way to do it even with just CGI.

Didn't Heru-ur wear a wicked gold Horus mask, and whenever it retracted they just cut to a 'whoa cool' reaction shot from SG1? It was a bit jarring to suddenly see him out of the mask.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Fire_Monkey posted:

I always told myself that the people who could code couldn't read ancient, and those that could read ancient couldn't code. That covers a lot of bases, until later in the series and Atlantis anyway.

IRQ posted:

code:

Gate g = New Gate(_origin:=New Point("Earth"), _dest:=New Point("Abydos"));

g.OriginFront.SetDeathOnEnter = False;

//***LOL CHECK THIS OUT***
g.OriginBack.SetDeathOnEnter = True;
g.DestinationFront.SetDeathOnEnter = True;
g.DestinationBack.SetDeathOnEnter = True;

g.OriginFront.CheckForObstruction = False;
g.DestinationFront.CheckForObstruction = False;

//***IMPORTANT, DO NOT DISABLE THIS SECTION!***
If !(g.CheckForSolarFlare()) { g.Open() };

Just-In-Timeberlake fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jul 24, 2012

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

golgo13sf posted:

code:

If Not(g.CheckForSolarFlare) Then g.Open();

I love you.

longview posted:

Would be pretty funny if a planet for some reason had the gate upside down, so every time they gated in to it they'd come tumbling out. Also when they gate out they'd probably form inside the floor at the bottom

I like to imagine that there some planets that had their gates mounted so that none of the gate was embedded into the ground or a support platform, and that people stepping into one of those would immediately trip over when they materialised at the other end.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

golgo13sf posted:

code:

If !(g.CheckForSolarFlare()) { g.Open() };

It figures the ancients would use C++ instead of a superior language like python. :smug:

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
I figured they'd be divided between die hard assembly coders and PHP users. But C++ is definitely appropriate for the Ancients, pointers and all.

Edit: Just saw this, from when they took down the gate network:
[img]http://longview.be/uploader/uploads/20120724075342PMStargate.SG1-s07e09.Avenger.2.0.mkv_snapshot_17.52_[2012.07.24_21.53.06].jpg[/img]

Sure looks like an Ancient language (C++).

longview fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jul 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

JetsGuy posted:

It figures the ancients would use C++ instead of a superior language like python. :smug:
Looks more like a cross between C++, VB and Pascal.