Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!
Meh, I just think aside from the reward merits and using a Notice in place of a Thread rare for the Alpha, there's not much incentive to do the TFs.

TFs, in themselves, usually have a poor XP reward compared to missions, and the slight XP boost at the end doesn't really make up for that, purely from xp/time. I'll still run them, just as a means to diversify a little bit. Ever since they fixed the bug that made the TFs reward more XP than they should at the end, the end-TF bonus has been pretty abysmal IMO.

There's also the time you spend putting the thing together to consider. Maybe not a big issue on Virtue during prime time, but if you don't have a chance to do it until later in the week when most people are already finished, you might end up scraping the bottom of the barrel, especially if it's an unpopular TF.

Also, you can get Threads WAY faster by just running a few trials in place of the TF, and there's ALWAYS some trials running.

From Triumph with love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

Tom Powers posted:

From Triumph with love.

... I thought Foot Stomp was knockup, not back. Unless they're doing things way below their level and that should never be the case.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

00Kevin posted:

... I thought Foot Stomp was knockup, not back. Unless they're doing things way below their level and that should never be the case.
Maybe they slotted Knockback enhancments? (or a set that boosts Knockback?)

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

I'm over here slotting Knockback in Heavy Blow and Spinning Strike because I just like to see dudes go flying, gently caress being optimal.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

Patware posted:

I'm over here slotting Knockback in Heavy Blow and Spinning Strike because I just like to see dudes go flying, gently caress being optimal.

My bafflement comes from putting enough knockback in Super Strength's Tier 9 AOE attack to prevent him from using the set's main weapon in teams. The only good explanation I can come up with quickly is a Knockback set for the bonuses, like what Section Z said.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Yeah it's way dumber to fill your SS with knockback because it has plenty of AoE. SJ just has the one, not counting Sweeping 'if you're lucky' Cross.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Are you suggesting Hand "Does No Damage, Just Knockback" Clap and Foot Stomp are plenty of aoe? Because SS has one good aoe versus StJ's one lovely aoe and a small cone.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Are you suggesting Hand "Does No Damage, Just Knockback" Clap and Foot Stomp are plenty of aoe? Because SS has one good aoe versus StJ's one lovely aoe and a small cone.
Hi. I avoid sets like the plague (combination of too poor, and too lazy for proper sets).
I have also recently made an Energy Melee character because I thought "this is an interesting change of pace".

I still stand by this Goon's reaction.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Knockback owns. I love mashing the Shockwave key as often as I can to watch fifteen guys go flying while my group yells at me.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I cracked and VIPped, so I'd appreciate an invite to the Super Secret Goon Channel
(@thelonebadger)

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Invited.

alrite bawjaws
Jun 15, 2007

I remember having a trial version back from when City of Villains was introduced, turns out my account details still work! My handle is @Nice Man, would appreciate and add.

Also would anyone recommend a fun Blaster set to start with? Managed to make a Taskmaster-esque character who looks pretty decent, can't work out what power set to give him.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
If you're dead set on a Blaster, Archery is a good primary, as are Fire and Ice. Water Blast is the newest and best designed, though you've got to buy it.

That said, you're almost always better off as a Corrupter or a Defender if you want to play a ranged DPS character.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

alrite bawjaws posted:

I remember having a trial version back from when City of Villains was introduced, turns out my account details still work! My handle is @Nice Man, would appreciate and add.

Also would anyone recommend a fun Blaster set to start with? Managed to make a Taskmaster-esque character who looks pretty decent, can't work out what power set to give him.

It says you don't have permission when I try to invite you, sorry.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Cuchulain posted:

If you're dead set on a Blaster, Archery is a good primary, as are Fire and Ice. Water Blast is the newest and best designed, though you've got to buy it.

That said, you're almost always better off as a Corrupter or a Defender if you want to play a ranged DPS character.

Hahahahaha, I like your choice of words Cuch.

alrite bawjaws
Jun 15, 2007

Mind over Matter posted:

It says you don't have permission when I try to invite you, sorry.

Awww what, I've tried Google and the game support but I can't work out how I change it :downs:

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Slung Blade posted:

Hahahahaha, I like your choice of words Cuch.

Hey, I play an Archery Blaster. I'm well aware of how terrible they are. :negative:

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

alrite bawjaws posted:

Awww what, I've tried Google and the game support but I can't work out how I change it :downs:

It may just be that you don't have enough reward tokens, but I don't know how many you have to have to use global chat.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Stelas posted:

Knockback owns. I love mashing the Shockwave key as often as I can to watch fifteen guys go flying while my group yells at me.
I have a soft spot for shockwave. Chaining shockwave and Focus on my first stalker attempt that wasn't a complete failure let me get through the Rikti Warzone solo (Oh Hi Stealth Ignoring Drones. I'm still going to kill you all)

Cuchulain posted:

Hey, I play an Archery Blaster. I'm well aware of how terrible they are. :negative:
Wait, what? Is this one of those "Lethal damage? Then it's garbage" outlooks or something because Archery was one of my easier blaster attempts. Also, gently caress yeah Build up+Aim+Rain of arrows...

Oh, wait. You're talking "Blasters" are bad... :negative:

Corrs have never really worked out for me yet, I mean sure debuffs and other party things. But they seem to have some of the lowest values for those, and every time I see scourge go off I think "Oh yay, that would have been my NORMAL damage, or less on a blaster...Or would, if I could shoot while held, which I can't."

I dunno, my casual rear end just views Corrs as Angry Defenders. There if you want the attacks first.

Related to different modifier values across classes, I'm remembering that the reason I've never touched Electrical blast despite an interest in it's style, is that the Endurance mods are exactly the same across all classes instead of "Defenders get lower damage but the side effects are ramped up" and stuff. It just bugs me.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Cuchulain posted:

Or a Dominator.

Pretty much any damage advantage a blaster would have is wiped out by the fact that corruptors have resistance debuffs in their secondaries. Dominators also have one in their APP.

If you want a Corruptor and are interested mainly in killing things, then the good sets are pretty much:
- Kinetics: Good: Tons of damage, recharge, and endurance buffs, has endurance management and a heal. The best set for team offense buffs by miles. Bad: No defense, high-attention (i.e. you need to cast skills from it a lot), much more helpful to teammates than you until the late 30s, its heal and endurance refill force you to be near enemies if you want their effects and they can miss.
- Cold: Good: Auto-hit AOE res/def debuff, has the king of all punch-in-the-dick debuffs (Benumb), very good endurance management at 38, AOE slow resist, barely requires you to do anything to be effective. Bad: No heal, blooms late.
- Dark: Good: Massive AOE heal, AOE resurrect, AOE res debuff, makes enemies unable to kill you, gets most of its power at low levels. Bad: No endurance management, heal can miss and is embarrassing when it does because it takes a long time to animate.
- Time: Good: Heal, big defense buff (that can be boosted by PB/PBU), AOE res debuff, Chrono Shift. Bad: Uses a lot of slots.

(Thermal is much better on a Defender, Traps is really niche, and pretty much everything is just worse than another set. Pain --> Thermal, Poison --> Dark, Rad --> Time, Sonic --> Thermal, Storm --> Cold, TA --> Cold)

Good primaries right now are Fire, Ice, Water, and Archery. That list will change in I24 where Assault Rifle and Dark Blast will probably become a lot better.

Rad is supposedly good if you have a bunch of money to burn on Achilles Heel procs.

If you're making a Dom then Plant/Psi/Ice or Plant/Fire/Ice, welcome to god mode.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jul 24, 2012

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

The best thing about my Archer is that his global recharge bonus is so high that snap shot finishes recharging before it finishes animation. If I Control-Click it I have a one button attack chain with one attack every half second. The best AFKer ever.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

OneEightHundred posted:

That list will change in I24 where Assault Rifle and Dark Blast will probably become a lot better.
The last patch notes I can recall reading about AR, were when they nerfed Ignite, completely useless except against archvillains who would ignore the afraid effect of the 4 foot wide (so, barely large enough for one target to be hit by) fire and just stand in it. So they put the recharge's head in a vice. (maybe they made a few other AR powers a half second faster? I dunno).

Same patch, they made basically everything in already fast archery even faster. Oh hey did you hate how Blazing arrow had a cast time longer than 2 seconds? Now it's less than 2 seconds. poo poo, Blazing Arrow is almost as strong as Full Auto, granted single target.

Still, despite it being the weakest nuke in the game, and a criminally small 20 degree cone (hope you're behind a team! Targeted AoE rain of arrows has a longer range, same recharge, and more damage sucker!), there is just something comforting about going all A-Team in trials.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Section Z posted:

Wait, what? Is this one of those "Lethal damage? Then it's garbage" outlooks or something because Archery was one of my easier blaster attempts.
It depends if you can put up with it long enough to get ROA. Without ROA it's pretty much worse than Fire at everything.

quote:

Corrs have never really worked out for me yet, I mean sure debuffs and other party things. But they seem to have some of the lowest values for those, and every time I see scourge go off I think "Oh yay, that would have been my NORMAL damage, or less on a blaster...Or would, if I could shoot while held, which I can't."
How their buff/debuff numbers compare depends heavily on set. A lot of effects get the same numbers as defenders. Cold and Kinetics in particular are barely any different, Rad and Thermal are a lot different.

Section Z posted:

The last patch notes I can recall reading about AR, were when they nerfed Ignite
Sniper Rifle with +22% tohit (which is an overslotted Tactics and a Kismet +6% on a corruptor) will do as much damage as Blaze in 2/3 the cast time, which will probably make it about as good as Fire since the DPA on the rest of its attacks are already pretty good.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jul 24, 2012

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

OneEightHundred posted:

Plant/Fire/Ice

I have one of these and I never quite figured out what made it so great to so many people. I mean yeah, plant is strong control, but it never felt superpowerful. Just normal.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Plant control is powerful because it has an enormous high-accuracy low-cooldown AOE confuse at level 8, its ST immobilize animates much faster than other control sets, and carrion creepers triggers procs on pretty much everything.

It's especially powerful on a dom because hitting bosses with SoC with domination up will obliterate a spawn.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Oh, sorry if I was vague. I know plant is amazing. I have both that dom and my wonderful plant/dark controller to attest to that. I just don't get what makes a plant/fire dom that much better than any other plant controller or dom. Is fire really that much damage? It just doesn't feel like it.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

It's mainly Blaze and its ridiculously short animation time, as usual. Fire Blast hits pretty hard too. Also it has a bunch of AOE.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

OneEightHundred posted:

Sniper Rifle with +22% tohit (which is an overslotted Tactics and a Kismet +6% on a corruptor) will do as much damage as Blaze in 2/3 the cast time, which will probably make it about as good as Fire since the DPA on the rest of its attacks are already pretty good.
I like me some sniper rifle, and the "bonus damage" Target Drone gives it is just adorable.

You pick off Possessed Scientist with your Sniper Rifle for 431.90 points of lethal damage!
Your targeting drones accuracy gives 37.2 bonus points of lethal damage! :allears:
I suppose if I had assault on, it might have been FOURTY bonus damage.

I do however, wish they would fix the Sniper Rifle animation to match the attack sometime this decade. It can be hard to hear your single sniper bullet to let you know it's safe to move without interpreting the cast in a trial, when you see your rifle kickback a second before the bullet fires and the interrupt time passes :doh:

Seconding that Carrion Creepers are some crazy poo poo.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I can not wait for the Snipe changes on my AR/Dev Main. Right now I'm at +37.45% to hit with +22.22% of that coming from the Drone. The rest is Kismet and Tactics.

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

quote:

"This character is the culmination of everything the player finds cool. (Well most of it, can't have a katana a bow and a sniper rifle) Magic, Healing Powers, Laying of Hands (Reiki, etc.) Costumes are usually a tribute to other characters in other genres and combining them in a hopfully unique way. As a Healer the player wishes to assume the supportive role without being noticed too often. Other games have been key in garnering this obsession that grew from being wanted/needed that stemmed from childhood being the older brother of two other kids and having responsiblity being given to him by his mother, who in general is 'unwell' yet seems to get along just fine without him now. As years progressed and escapism became his way of life, The Supportive role is usually one of the first made. (If mechanics allow). Through the course of his career as a supportive character the player can usually tell when a team will fall and anticipate collapse. The Player boasts personality that is uncaring yet attempts opposite"

:psyduck:

The guy had emo hair and fox ears/tail.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

BlueDestiny posted:

:psyduck:

The guy had emo hair and fox ears/tail.

NOBODY uses the Emo hair, so he is indeed unique :pseudo:

Rixen
Feb 18, 2005

Have you had your Reich today?
The Shiver hairstyle is a douchebag detector with a 100% accuracy rate

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

Just got this game a week or so ago, my handle is @Croke. I could use some help from the goon squad!

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Rixen posted:

Similarly, tails act as a "oh dear god get away from this person asap" detector. The ratio of things that look like actual superheroes to everything else is hilariously hosed.

Ktzi
Aug 1, 2006

There are plenty of spiders!
All of my characters are wizards

What do you say to that

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Stereotypical wizards are alright, I guess. Probably less of them then there are vampire werewolf catgirls with dark magical eldritch powers and a numbered list of fetishes carefully calculated in preferential order though.

And this saddens me.

the Val
Nov 21, 2005

Just wait till tomorrow
I guess that's what they all say
Just before they fall apart

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Stereotypical wizards are alright, I guess. Probably less of them then there are vampire werewolf catgirls with dark magical eldritch powers and a numbered list of fetishes carefully calculated in preferential order though.

And this saddens me.
I see your stereotypical wizards and I raise you some modern wizards.

Ktzi posted:

What do you say to that
But your characters are all genderbending wizards. And some are science wizards. :science:

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Rixen posted:

Sorry but the douchebag look is Face 1 with Princeton and highlights.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Ktzi posted:

What do you say to that

My first Incarnate was also my very first controller, a ROBOT Wizard (that used to be a Robot Janitor) :pseudo: Earth/Sonic was very newb and lazy man friendly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Ktzi posted:

What do you say to that

Man, preparing all those spell slots each day must get old.

• Locked thread