Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

Herr Zealot posted:

Apparently it is, as I'm using the stock adapter. I should probably note that before when I first tried it, the back lighting was on but no display appeared, the problem with absolutely dead, purple LED appeared after I replugged the brick into the monitor (the second try with a different DVI cable).

e: Also seems dream-seller is out for the weekend, gently caress me.
e2: Inspecting the tip of the adapter cable (input to the monitor side), it seems like one of the little rods inside is blackened, maybe a short circuit happened or something? God I wish I had an extra bar adapter to test around.

DreamSeller doesn't specify whether or not he gives a 110-240V adapter (most sellers specifically say). You in all likelihood have a 220V adapter, but are only supplying 110-120V, making it draw double the current. You can get a simple DC volt meter and test the output voltage, and I bet it'll be somewhere around 15-18, not the 24 the monitor requires.

e: assuming you are in 'murika

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Herr Zealot posted:

Apparently it is, as I'm using the stock adapter.....

Look at the label on the adapter... Does it say "Input Range: 110-220" or something to that effect?

Some of these monitors ship with a 220v only adapter that will not operate correctly on 120v, that is assuming you are in a 120v country.

Chuck Finley
Oct 27, 2010

stevewm posted:

Look at the label on the adapter... Does it say "Input Range: 110-220" or something to that effect?

Some of these monitors ship with a 220v only adapter that will not operate correctly on 120v, that is assuming you are in a 120v country.

It does indeed say that on the label, I was hoping it was as simple as the wrong adapter for a moment. :smith:

DMCrimson
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Herr Zealot posted:

e: Also seems dream-seller is out for the weekend, gently caress me.

If you ordered from dream-seller and are in the US, you'll need to order a new adapter. I ordered the same Crossover monitor from dream-seller and experienced the same power issues until I used a compatible power adapter.

This is eBay auction of the exact power adapter I ordered that successfully powers my CrossOver:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/280673899776?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_1505wt_1185

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Herr Zealot posted:

It does indeed say that on the label, I was hoping it was as simple as the wrong adapter for a moment. :smith:

That is the same power adapter that came with the Potalion branded Korean monitors I ordered for work.

If you have a multimeter, set it to DC and measure the output of the power adapter. It should be 24v or close to it.

Chuck Finley
Oct 27, 2010

DMCrimson posted:

If you ordered from dream-seller and are in the US, you'll need to order a new adapter. I ordered the same Crossover monitor from dream-seller and experienced the same power issues until I used a compatible power adapter.

I ordered one regardless as I'm always in favor of having backups no matter what happens, also I live in Canada so all the same standards apply.

stevewm posted:

That is the same power adapter that came with the Potalion branded Korean monitors I ordered for work.

If you have a multimeter, set it to DC and measure the output of the power adapter. It should be 24v or close to it.

Is this good or bad that we have the same adapter? Also I'll have access to a multimeter in a couple of days, I guess I'll report back then. Regardless thanks for everyone's help, it's been loads more helpful than what I've found in my countless hours googling this problem.

Aug 14, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The OP and every link I've read says the Crossover's stand is the best of the Korean monitors, but it also says the other monitor's stands are complete poo poo. So is the Crossover's stand actually good or just comparatively? If I'd need to buy a new stand anyway I'd rather go with the Cat Leap for its faster refresh rate.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Woot has 2x 21.5" 1080p S-IPS monitors + stand for $279.99 (probably + shipping). The size is small, but drat if that isn't a nice entry price into dual-IPS monitor territory.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
The crossover stand has tilt, which is nice, but it still wobbles with a light breeze. If you don't need height adjustment, and have a sturdy desk, then the Crossover stand is alright.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

movax posted:

Woot has 2x 21.5" 1080p S-IPS monitors + stand for $279.99 (probably + shipping). The size is small, but drat if that isn't a nice entry price into dual-IPS monitor territory.

I'd rather get one u2412m and save up for a year for another one than settle for two much smaller 16:9s.

Aug 14, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Zhentar posted:

The crossover stand has tilt, which is nice, but it still wobbles with a light breeze. If you don't need height adjustment, and have a sturdy desk, then the Crossover stand is alright.

Well poo poo, any recommendations on an actual good 27" stand? I think Movax said earlier that ones on monoprice were rubbish for 27+ monitors. Preferably something with height adjustment, don't care about pivot or tilt.

298298 fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jul 24, 2012

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

298298 posted:

The OP and every link I've read says the Crossover's stand is the best of the Korean monitors, but it also says the other monitor's stands are complete poo poo. So is the Crossover's stand actually good or just comparatively? If I'd need to buy a new stand anyway I'd rather go with the Cat Leap for its faster refresh rate.
My PCBank has one of the "worst" stands but it's still fine for normal use. The only thing I wish it had was swivel but that's less of an issue since it's already sitting on a book. You shouldn't go with a more expensive option because of the "stand".

Aug 14, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
My cat likes to rub her face all over loving everything though, so if even the Crossover's wobbles with a light breeze I'm going to need something better.

luvd
Sep 29, 2011

don't like omelettes but i'll eat crepes all day long
I've had a quick look through the OP (and will have a more thorough one when I'm not at work) and I can see that the Dell Ultrasharp monitors are recommended here as well as anywhere else.

I'm thinking it's between the U2410 and the U2412M if I'm feeling a bit cheap.

I'm a designer so really I should be looking for something that accurately reproduces colours etc, but it's only going to be for home use for when I'm doing some work on the side or taking work home with me. I'll be using it combined with my MBP.

Would people say that these are the best monitors for the price? I\m looking to spend between £250 and £300..

Sorry if this has been answered a bunch of times already.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
I think you'll be pretty happy with either one - shouldn't be too hard to get accurate colours after calibration. The U2410 was pretty easy to calibrate to within some pretty tight tolerances.

I'm not really a fan of the design of the U2412m - I really felt Dell took a huge step back in that regard. The U2410 had neat touch sensitive buttons that only light up when your finger is near it. On the other hand, the U2412M has a rounded design that looks like something you'd find on entry level monitors. The construction generally feels more plasticy too, especially the stand.

luvd
Sep 29, 2011

rawrr posted:

I think you'll be pretty happy with either one - shouldn't be too hard to get accurate colours after calibration. The U2410 was pretty easy to calibrate to within some pretty tight tolerances.

I'm not really a fan of the design of the U2412m - I really felt Dell took a huge step back in that regard. The U2410 had neat touch sensitive buttons that only light up when your finger is near it. On the other hand, the U2412M has a rounded design that looks like something you'd find on entry level monitors. The construction generally feels more plasticy too, especially the stand.

It's silly that I'd probably pay a little more for something aesthetically more pleasing haha.

Thank you for the insight.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Be aware that the U2410 is wide-gamut and the U2412M is not. If you're going to do design work on it, I strongly recommend that you match it to whatever you have at work. Trying to take stuff back and forth between wide-gamut and normal-gamut is a gigantic pain in the dick.

luvd
Sep 29, 2011

DrDork posted:

Be aware that the U2410 is wide-gamut and the U2412M is not. If you're going to do design work on it, I strongly recommend that you match it to whatever you have at work. Trying to take stuff back and forth between wide-gamut and normal-gamut is a gigantic pain in the dick.

I'm a junior so I'm still not the most clued up on colour gamuts / calibration etc. It's annoying as it's something I really need to be perfect on.

It's something that I really need to spend a few hours getting right.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

One of my LCD monitors has started occasionally flickering, typically only after starting the computer up. More recently, there's a faint buzzing emanating from the monitor case in time with the flickering, which I take to be a Bad Thing. Any ideas on what it might be and whether it's fixable? I can replace this thing but I don't want to if I can avoid it...

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Wild guess: Bad quality capacitors in the PSU in the process of croaking.

It'll get worse, then end with the monitor not wanting to turn on at all.

It's a cheap fix (less than $10) if you can handle a soldering iron without gouging your eyes out.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

a bad poster yall posted:

I'm a junior so I'm still not the most clued up on colour gamuts / calibration etc. It's annoying as it's something I really need to be perfect on.

Depending on your interest and field, it may not be all that important.
If you're doing design that will only be viewed on a screen, you would actually want multiple types of monitors to see what your viewer would be looking at.
If you're interested in large-scale (billboards) or 3d work, you would use pantones.
If you're interested in printshop work like magazines, then yes, it's desirable to have a really nice monitor. Saves lots of hassle to print out exactly what's on the monitor.

Remember that you're a designer, not an artist. You're paid better because your work is functional first, form second. Having 50 shades of green isn't gonna help when your customer actually see doodoo brown.

Edit:
Completely unrelated but don't want doublepost
http://www.ubergizmo.com/2012/07/lg-ips7-monitors/

A bit low in brightness but 1.2mm bezel holy poo poo.

MeruFM fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jul 24, 2012

movax
Aug 30, 2008

MeruFM posted:

Depending on your interest and field, it may not be all that important.
If you're doing design that will only be viewed on a screen, you would actually want multiple types of monitors to see what your viewer would be looking at.
If you're interested in large-scale (billboards) or 3d work, you would use pantones.
If you're interested in printshop work like magazines, then yes, it's desirable to have a really nice monitor. Saves lots of hassle to print out exactly what's on the monitor.

Remember that you're a designer, not an artist. You're paid better because your work is functional first, form second. Having 50 shades of green isn't gonna help when your customer actually see doodoo brown.

Edit:
Completely unrelated but don't want doublepost
http://www.ubergizmo.com/2012/07/lg-ips7-monitors/

A bit low in brightness but 1.2mm bezel holy poo poo.

That bezel is sexy; hopefully it's the 23" in 1080p resolution and the 27" in 2560x1440. Would be a shame for a monitor that pretty to be 1080p at the 27" size class. :(

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

movax posted:

That bezel is sexy; hopefully it's the 23" in 1080p resolution and the 27" in 2560x1440. Would be a shame for a monitor that pretty to be 1080p at the 27" size class. :(

They're both 1080p, if I recall correctly.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Tedronai66 posted:

They're both 1080p, if I recall correctly.

Yeah the article mentioned that, I was hoping it was just lazy grammar and the 27" still had a chance to be 1440p :smith:

Still, its a nice looking display, I could totally see my parents getting it or something.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

a bad poster yall posted:

If you want to match your monitors at home to your monitors at work so it all looks more or less the same, ask someone at your work whether they're wide-gamut or not, and then get the U2410 if they are, the U2412M if they're not. Seriously, you don't really want to mix between the two if you're aiming for consistency.

suztan
Jul 4, 2012

So I built a new computer earlier this month for gaming but also general purposes and have been using a fairly alright hand-me-down TN monitor while I figure out what I want to do display-wise. I've been using a mid-2007 iMac for the past 5 years and I've really gotten used to the way the colors work and the 16:10 aspect ratio (which seems to fit better than 16:9 into my field of vision for some reason). I'm trying not to spend a ton of money, but I want something that looks nice as well.

So I have two questions about that:

Are there any major issues with buying a used, older Apple Cinema Display (especially with games on a Windows PC)? They run about $130 for 20" in fair shape (good condition $200+) on Ebay, a bit less if they're missing the power adapter.

Are there any decent IPS displays that have a 16:10 aspect ratio? The Dell Ultrasharps I'm seeing only seem to come in 1920x1080.

Bryne
Feb 13, 2008

The Treachery of Forums

suztan posted:

Are there any decent IPS displays that have a 16:10 aspect ratio? The Dell Ultrasharps I'm seeing only seem to come in 1920x1080.
The Dell U2412M is 1900x1200 and retails for around $300 with a 3-year warranty. It's a much better deal than buying someone's abused monitor off eBay.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
I think you mean the U2410 - the U2412M is 16:9.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

rawrr posted:

I think you mean the U2410 - the U2412M is 16:9.

No, the U2412m is 16:10.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Anyone here have much experience with Sager/Clevo notebooks? I've just ordered myself a Clevo P150EM (also known as Sager NP9150) and I've chosen the option for "95% Gamut 1920x1080 Premium Matte Display", just wondering how good it actually is.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
It's the same display used in the Lenovo ThinkPad W520, last time someone checked. Just about the highest-quality TN display made. Viewing angles are still rear end, though.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007

evilalien posted:

No, the U2412m is 16:10.

Oh you're right, both are 16:10.

Aug 14, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Screw it I've talked myself into going 30", read all I can find in the thread about them except prices. What's considered a good price for a u3011 new and in warranty? Newegg is around $1,200, Dell itself is $1,499, why would anyone buy Dell at that price? Does Newegg's not have the same warranty? Or ebay'ing it for $600 from a reputable looking seller, does the warranty not transfer?

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
U2412m is on for $250 from Dell.ca - that's pretty much the best price possible, right?

DinosaurHouseParty
Oct 31, 2003

Blackula69 posted:

U2412m is on for $250 from Dell.ca - that's pretty much the best price possible, right?
I think we've see Dell.ca match $250 before. Still, its a very good price.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Multiple monitor question for you guys.

I have a GTX460 and thought it had three outputs so logically it would support three monitors, nope.

I then bought a PCI-e 1x card to add alongside, but it won't boot with two graphics cards installed.

How can I run about four monitors off the same PC?

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

298298 posted:

Screw it I've talked myself into going 30", read all I can find in the thread about them except prices. What's considered a good price for a u3011 new and in warranty? Newegg is around $1,200, Dell itself is $1,499, why would anyone buy Dell at that price? Does Newegg's not have the same warranty?

You never buy from Dell at full price. Buy from Newegg if you absolutely need it now, otherwise see if there's a decent discount over the next week or so. You shouldn't *expect* it, but I believe both Dell and Newegg have gone as low as $999 in the past.

Today in Australia the U3011 dropped from au$1699 (inc. tax) to au$1189.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Daimo posted:

Multiple monitor question for you guys.

I have a GTX460 and thought it had three outputs so logically it would support three monitors, nope.

I then bought a PCI-e 1x card to add alongside, but it won't boot with two graphics cards installed.

How can I run about four monitors off the same PC?

Yeah, NV GTX 4xx and 5xx can only run two of their three outputs at a time. What brand is the x1 card? Is the system not booting, or just no video?

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

298298 posted:

Screw it I've talked myself into going 30", read all I can find in the thread about them except prices. What's considered a good price for a u3011 new and in warranty? Newegg is around $1,200, Dell itself is $1,499, why would anyone buy Dell at that price? Does Newegg's not have the same warranty? Or ebay'ing it for $600 from a reputable looking seller, does the warranty not transfer?

Create an account on Slickdeals.net if you haven't and set up a deal alert for the keywords: "Dell" "Dell U3011" and wait for a deal. They fall as low as $1000. It looks as if the last time was June, so I would expect something in August to show up if you can wait to save a few hundred.

e: And maybe combine it with this to save a bit more:
http://slickdeals.net/f/4924662-Dell-Gift-card-Buy-300-eGift-Card-Get-50-Dell-eGift-card-for-FREE

Shmoogy fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jul 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

movax posted:

Yeah, NV GTX 4xx and 5xx can only run two of their three outputs at a time. What brand is the x1 card? Is the system not booting, or just no video?

It's an Nvidia made by Club (whoever they are). The system doesn't boot it just hangs before the POST with hard drives ticking slowly. Unfortunately I haven't gotten around to installing a pc speaker yet so can't check beep codes. There's also a possibility that the card is damaged as the postman dropped it through the letterbox :suicide:, but it's fine externally. What do you think?

Motherboard info if you need it.