Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

WhiteOutMouse posted:

So, about airbrushes, where do you do use it?

I see all these videos of people doing it on what I assume is a painting desk. I thought it had to be done outside.

My painting room is full of models and glass cabinets, can I use my spray gun here or will it stain my models and furniture?

I use mine in the garage with a respirator. You can use one in your house or room if you build a spray booth. Otherwise poo poo will get in the air, your lungs, your cat's lungs, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

WhiteOutMouse posted:

So, about airbrushes, where do you do use it?

I see all these videos of people doing it on what I assume is a painting desk. I thought it had to be done outside.

My painting room is full of models and glass cabinets, can I use my spray gun here or will it stain my models and furniture?

I use mine at my painting desk, next to an open window.
I use an old shoebox as a shield for everything I'm not painting.
Unless I'm base coating, then I go outside.

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

This is where I paint, and I use a bigass fan to push air out the window. Thats an old bedsheet about 3 inches away from the wall there, to trap overspray, not that there is any.

Also, I should probably get a respirator, but for the mean time, I dont.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Mephiston posted:

This is where I paint, and I use a bigass fan to push air out the window. Thats an old bedsheet about 3 inches away from the wall there, to trap overspray, not that there is any.

Also, I should probably get a respirator, but for the mean time, I dont.

That purple color? Is in your lungs.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
I'm susceptible to bronchial stuff, and yeah, spraying of any kind of paint NEEDS a mask.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Do I need a respirator if I'm airbrushing outside?

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

I don't even use on inside. Paint in a well-ventilated area and you'll be fine.
Also I smoke so my lungs are already hosed so ymmv.

Takkaryx
Oct 17, 2007

Bunnies (very useful) Scientific Facts: Bunnies never close doors
Does anyone have any advise or links to painting opaque glass? I screwed up the clear plastic canopy of a storm talon, and am having to paint it over. So far, I'm using a light grey (fortress grey) with the panel deviders black. I'm thinking I'll do lighter colors in stripes to look reflect-y, but past that I'm at a loss to make it look good.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

You could just Simple Green it.

Purgey
Nov 5, 2008
Painted some more RAFM 15s. This time, space suits!

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Manifest posted:

I don't even use on inside. Paint in a well-ventilated area and you'll be fine.
Also I smoke so my lungs are already hosed so ymmv.

This.

Acrylic is nontoxic. Isopropyl alcohol is harmful if you drink it and only then after you keep doing it. Primer has some latex in it, so if you have a latex allergy, that's bad news but otherwise the advice in here is a little overblown.

Masks and goggles are important for spray epoxy and polyurethane substances--poo poo that is not water soluble and inert, but is instead a Motherfucker of molecules that is trying to bind to any S orbitals it can and demand all the Joules to break free. White blood cells can't do poo poo about that.

White blood cells can clear acrylic polymers in their sleep. They would probably rather clear those than the pollen and dust that they have to clear all the time anyway--because the atmosphere is full of plants taking a poo poo plus whatever random dander and pollutants are byproducts of civilization.

People can smoke for decades before their lungs start to degrade--some people can even smoke a lifetime and die of something unrelated.

If you want some geeky hypothesizing on it, our ancestors mastered the art of cooking--that is to say, prehuman apes could cook, and lived and worked in close proximity to open flames and smoke on a regular basis. I'm not sure if you know this, but burning plants is a horrendously toxic process and plants are full of awful poo poo that will kill you--they have to be. It's their only defense against predators. So human lungs seem to be comparitively well adapted to clearing bioactive and inert substances. Where it falls down is with molecules or atoms that are too heavy or powerfully bonded to be absorbed and ferried out of the body--aesbestos is the biggest example. Those are strands of glass which isn't particularly reactive and as a consequence can't get absorbed well.

Acrylic is water soluble and doesn't do much in solution. So it's total cake for your body to deal with.

If you're like Feeple, who sounds like he has a preexisting condition that predisposes him to a hyperactive immune response (possibly Crohn's-like lung affliction, usually down to dietary inflammatory agents or a possible previous severe upper respiratory illness which put his immune system on a hair trigger), then, sure, it doesn't matter how mild the antagonist is, you might react. But you'd probably already know that and never even imagine the possiblity of using a spray anything without a mask--because you'd already be the type of person constantly worried about the particulates in your environment. Since it only takes cheetos dust rising from a Goon pounding on the table in a fit of rage over the precise wording of Doomscythe 'everything under a line on the battlefield' attacks (note; this attack hits nothing, since literally no model would be under the battlefield WORKING AS INTENDED (will be faqqed!)).

So chill the gently caress out.

Sealer should still be applied in a ventilated area and not swallowed, licked, or snorted.

Do not operate airbrush inside colon.

TheCosmicMuffet fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jul 24, 2012

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

But it feels good :(

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Thanks, I was worried about my mucous membranes getting clogged with paint. No harsh conditions, some allergy to other kinds of paint - I use a gasmask when priming, but it's not exactly an option for precise work.

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Don't take my small pleasures away from me :(

e:f,b

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

ijyt posted:

You could just Simple Green it.

I had a bit of luck with something like this by putting some PVA on the area, letting it dry and then peeling it off. It tends to take the paint away with it, so it might be worth a try. Or else yeah, Simple Green would just strip it all and you can start over.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
If you can't paint your models by licking them after spraying unrelated models, you're just not putting in enough commitment to this hobby.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Will Simple Green remove primer from plastic or am I hosed on this one?

VVV Awesome! Any recommendations where to get it for cheap or is it pretty easily found?

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jul 23, 2012

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

BadLlama posted:

Will Simple Green remove primer from plastic or am I hosed on this one?

Yes. Depending on how paranoid you are about the plastic, you can leave it in for a little bit and then scrub with a toothbrush. I recently left a dozen 12 year old paintjobs in simple green + water for a few days and rinsed/scrubbed them. The plastic ones are cleaner than the metal ones. No other meaningful difference.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

I have had plastic models sitting in an undiluted simple green bath for over two years. It was a globster tactical squad thrown into a bottle of the stuff along with an old metal dreadnought. As it happens, the pewter venerable dread did far more damage to the space marines than the simple green did!

In short, SG is totally safe on plastic and is not going to hurt it. I cannot say the same for a pound of drifting metal chunks.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
Yeah, I can confirm that simple green does pretty much no damage to plastic even after 2-3 years of sitting in a tub of it.

Whether it will actually loosen/remove the primer or not is another matter. On the metal figures the primer and paint will slide right off, on the plastic ones I usually have to go at it with a toothbrush and even then it can sometimes be a chore depending on how well the primer has bonded with the plastic. I don't know how resin fares, I think I might actually be afraid of the resin bending and deforming if I have to scrub the primer off.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

KNOWLEDGE BOMBS

Are you a biologist, chemist, or wizard?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Manifest posted:

Are you a biologist, chemist, or wizard?

He's a Timelord.

Sorry about your Khron's, feeple.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

Feeple has Crohn's? That sucks, my brother and I both have it too. It's dogshit.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
Painting and Modeling Megathread: Feeple Has Crohn's Due to Popular Opinion

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
I don't have Chron's. Docs never gave me that. All I know is I can pick up a wheeze/ pneumonia at the drop of a hat.

E: Goddamnit, Sushi.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

The internet said you have Crohn's, buddy. Better get used to it. I hear from a reliable source that it's dogshit.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Sole.Sushi posted:

The internet said you have Crohn's, buddy. Better get used to it. I hear from a reliable source that it's dogshit.
TCM never said that.

We're talking about necrons right?

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

Man I wish I had necrohn's.

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

When I talk about the doomed, the scum, the people who no longer give a shit...When I talk about the filth of the city...I'm talking about you.

Anyone else see that Reaper Miniatures is having a Kickstarter? The $100 level is pretty great with 67 minis before stretch goals.

If I wasn't in Australia I'd be on to my FLGS to grab the $300 retailer package too.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
Even the $15 level is pretty drat good:

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Eyespy posted:

Anyone else see that Reaper Miniatures is having a Kickstarter? The $100 level is pretty great with 67 minis before stretch goals.

If I wasn't in Australia I'd be on to my FLGS to grab the $300 retailer package too.

Dammit, I just sorted out thinks with CoolMiniOrNot about my payment (card got hacked and they couldn't get payment, I'm on the 'late pledge' list) so I probably can't get these.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I may be forced to give Reaper $100.

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

When I talk about the doomed, the scum, the people who no longer give a shit...When I talk about the filth of the city...I'm talking about you.

thespaceinvader posted:

I may be forced to give Reaper $100.

I just shoveled out $125. Even with international shipping its less than $2 a model.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The bones kobolds are something I always wind up impulse buying. I really can't refuse six kobolds in three poses for less than a pack of MtG cards.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Eyespy posted:

quote:

Ghost Level - Urban Legend Kickstarter Sophie.This exclusive Sophie miniature is exactly like the one above, but she's in her birthday suit*. Now, stop gawking and make your pledge!

:ughh:

Terrible.

Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
:orks: :orks101:
Gravy Boat 2k

S.J. posted:

Terrible.

It gets better:

"Liche Level - ReaperCon Sophie Set. A box set containing all of the prior Reaper Con Sophies - A harem of succubi to call your own!" :thumbsup:

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Reaper has always done pinup models of their mascot, that's nothing new.

Purgey
Nov 5, 2008

S.J. posted:

Terrible.

It benefits all of us if Reaper baits lonely, unfucked nerds in to giving them startup money. It makes sense, too, because if history has shown us anything its that perverts tend to have way too much disposable income.

To be honest I bet the nude sculpts are basically just a way for the sculptors to sell their practice work. Sculpt a female, throw on some wings on it, done deal. Having said that, I've always liked Reaper. I hope their kickstarter goes through!

Also what Sushi said, they've been making those succubus ladies since forever and a day.

In other news I painted up some 15mm Space Bugs from Highlander Studios today.

I think I need to give them an ink or wash or something... they are looking a bit flat. :geno:

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

So I was working on this display board project:

An learned something interesting vis-a-vis those lines.

Masking tape can actually hold paint/sand/flock really well. It won't be seamless, but it will have less seam.

Good to know.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
Dr: You did not come to the doctors in time and did too much running about and stuff when you had bronchitis. Now be super careful. Dont do anything like sport or painting.

Me: Why can't I paint?

Dr: You have to be super careful about any fumes and rubbish. You're super sensitive for a while now.

Me: But I only have a week to paint some models.

Dr: For what?

Me: The internet.

Dr: What?

Me: I told some guys on the internet I'd paint some models and I get points if I do.

Dr: You might get scarring or something in your scratched up to hell throat if you do.

Me: But the internet

Dr: No!

The look I got when trying to explain that I really wanted to paint and it mattered more than barely being able to breath and having a bleeding throat. Only 7 days :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Lethemonster posted:

Dr: You did not come to the doctors in time and did too much running about and stuff when you had bronchitis. Now be super careful. Dont do anything like sport or painting.

Me: Why can't I paint?

Dr: You have to be super careful about any fumes and rubbish. You're super sensitive for a while now.

Me: But I only have a week to paint some models.

Dr: For what?

Me: The internet.

Dr: What?

Me: I told some guys on the internet I'd paint some models and I get points if I do.

Dr: You might get scarring or something in your scratched up to hell throat if you do.

Me: But the internet

Dr: No!

The look I got when trying to explain that I really wanted to paint and it mattered more than barely being able to breath and having a bleeding throat. Only 7 days :(

gently caress doctors, what do they know about priorities? About the value of showing other people your paintjobs for poits? About being shouted at by sole sushi for your WIP pictures? About honour?

• Locked thread