Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

lockdar posted:

I like Battlescribe but remember that you are at the mercy of other people that maintain the lists that have the point costs, stats ect. If someone screws up there is nobody checking and verifying the lists.

Oh yeah - I'm going to check the costs against the codex when I get home, but it's SO handy to have the complete unit list, rules, stats and whatnot all on one screen of my phone, I don't even need to print anything out (just need to make sure my phone stays charged).

e: one improvement I would like to see is to NOT be able to add multiple weapons when they're not allowed - my Archon can be equipped with 5 or more Blasters, apparently, so if you have slippy fingers or just are just tap-happy, you could easily lose many points in a complete roster. Still a great app though, and hopefully the devs take the time to listen to feedback from a paying customer.

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jul 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Ghost Hand posted:

with all of this discussion lately about Forge World rules becoming more "official" I finally decided to write this article that I have had bouncing around in the back of my head for some time.

http://theindependentcharacters.com/blog/?p=1984

Great article. To celebrate I suggest everyone use a Battlewagon with lifta-droppa in your next game.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
Speaking of Havocs, would havocs with a MoN and 4 reaper autocannons be the best way to bump up nurgle's tally with epidemius first turn?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Companion Cube posted:

Speaking of AP2 possibilities, a CSM havoc squad: 4x plasmaguns jumping out of a Rhino, or 4x lascannons sitting in a fortification?

I'd go with the lascannons or autocannons. Plasma seems to be a better fit to plague marines I think, although now they've nerfed FNP a bit they're slightly less survivable.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm so glad that I have autocannon havocs for when the new CSM book drops.

Right now, I've got a sorceror, a few terminators, a couple of rhinos and vindicators, the old metal obliterators (which I hate), a prince, autocannon havocs, and a handful of converted noise marines which I don't much care for.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

Taken from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lECkhAw3qQw

it all looks amazing, im super hyped

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Lawen posted:

I've started reading through the 6Ed rules and would love to hear from some Ork players who've been thinking about the new rules for a couple weeks now. Are there any good new anti-armor options? When playing IG I've been using a squad of tankbustas and adding rokkits to my boyz, rokkit kombis to my nobz, and a couple of twin linked rokkit deffkoptas, then desperately hoping I can maneuver to get a shot on the rear armor + a good roll (or sticking PKlaws on anyone who can take them and trying to assault tanks on their rear armor). Even then, it's a crapshoot as to whether I can do any damage. Is there a way I can be more effective under 5Ed rules? Anything major change in 6Ed? Looking through the fliers, I'm thinking Blitz Bombas may be quite helpful. Thoughts?

E: just saw Beer4theBeerGod's post, maybe I should be using zzap guns...

Lootas are a fantastic source of firepower for anything at or below AV 12, which will include all of those pesky flyers. With assaults being so much easier relying on Power Klaws is also a perfectly valid tactic. My personal opinion is that deff rollas are no longer worth their points as battlewagons are far too vulnerable and you won't be able to use them any turn you disembark. Zzap guns, kannons, and shokk attack guns are certainly worth considering, especially since blast weapons now hit with full strength under the entire blast template. I'm still not convinced that tankbustas are worth their points.

Fortifications are another source of anti-tank, both in terms of making your relatively fragile AV options more resilient and providing some of their own as emplaced weapons. Spending 100 or 125 points for a Aegis Line or a Bastion w/ a Quad Cannon is a pretty good deal IMO, especially if you take some grots and toss them in there as gunners. The Skyshield also looks insane (and insanely undercosted) for the amount of protection and LOS it can offer. Then again I guess you can just punch it. I need to read the rules on fortifications.

As others have said allies are also a great option. Orks get Necrons, Tau, CSM, and IG as Allies of Convenience. Necrons and IG are incredibly good options at the moment, and I wouldn't be surprised if CSM also turns out to be a fantastic choice whenever GW deems us commoners worthy of the new codex. IG and Necrons benefit from having extremely cheap or useful troops that can be combined with some amazing Elite/FA/HS options that really complement Orks. Below are some bare-bones ally options that I've been goofing around with.

pre:
Necrons - 450
HQ:  Necron Overlord (90) 
Troop:  5 Warriors (85) w/ Night Scythe (100)
Heavy:  Doom Scythe (175)
pre:
Imperial Guard - 440
HQ:  Command Squad w/ Master of Ordnance (80)
Troop:  Veterans (70)
Fast:  Vendetta (130) w/ Heavy Bolter Sponsons (10)
Heavy:  Manticore (160)
Both are relatively bare bones, and could easily be bolstered with some additional equipment. Personally I'm particularly interested in the IG one. Toss in a few more autocannons and shove them in an Aegis Line with a Quad Cannon and you have a fairly solid firebase. Put the Manticore behind it so it can get that sweet, sweet 4+ cover save.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The Skyshield also looks insane (and insanely undercosted) for the amount of protection and LOS it can offer. Then again I guess you can just punch it. I need to read the rules on fortifications.

Nope, it's unique terrain. It's not a building or anything. It can't be destroyed, moved, whatever. It's overpowered.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Phyresis posted:

Taken from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lECkhAw3qQw

nyuuuuh why am I poor right now

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Phyresis posted:

Nope, it's unique terrain. It's not a building or anything. It can't be destroyed, moved, whatever. It's overpowered.

Oh wow, yeah that's not retarded or anything. 75 points for a massive structure that can't be destroyed and gives whatever I put on top of it a 4+ invulnerable and makes it practically impossible to assault? Yeah gently caress that.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Corrode posted:

nyuuuuh why am I poor right now

I feel you, man. I haven't even finished my IG, I want to get a bunch of Forgeworld stuff, I'm getting a 3DS XL in a few weeks and now this? And CSM? What am I supposed to do :ohdear:

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Phyresis posted:

I feel you, man. I haven't even finished my IG, I want to get a bunch of Forgeworld stuff, I'm getting a 3DS XL in a few weeks and now this? And CSM? What am I supposed to do :ohdear:

I hear there's quite the market for kidneys.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Indolent Bastard posted:

Great article. To celebrate I suggest everyone use a Battlewagon with lifta-droppa in your next game.

I see what you did there. But for the record, since the change to the lifta-droppa I have no complaints!

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
I tried out a wolf lord on a wolf with two TWC on Saturday and it did not work out so well against Eldar shooting. It's cute, but I think Phyresis is right and you need a maxed out squad to make it work.

Tonight, since I don't have 3 more TWC I think I am going to run a giant guardsman blob lead by a Wolf Priest to give them rerolls to hit. I am not sure if I want to use the blob as a Lord delivery mechanism or just as a ridiculous shooting(First Rank, Second rank with leadership 10 and reroll hits)/krak grenade vehicle assault platform. I am leaning towards the ladder to keep it cheaper and be able to laugh when I use ATSKNF to keep them on the board.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Huh. They're including a cute little booklet. I wonder if they'll ever make the rules available again after they stop selling this issue.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Oh wow, yeah that's not retarded or anything. 75 points for a massive structure that can't be destroyed and gives whatever I put on top of it a 4+ invulnerable and makes it practically impossible to assault? Yeah gently caress that.

BRB finding RAW loophole so I can field six Skyshields and three basilisks on each.

Also selling kidneys to afford same.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Fil5000 posted:

BRB finding RAW loophole so I can field six Skyshields and three basilisks on each.

Also selling kidneys to afford same.

2000 points is enough to give you two FOC. I recall the skyshield being pretty massive. You should at least be able to fit four basilisks on one.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

True, but for maximum :smug: I want to cover my deployment zone with landing pads.

God, someone's going to actually minmax a list with landing pads, aren't they?

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

This hobby is full of super-competitive nerds, so they probably already have.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I wouldn't want to get stuck with six landing pads when they get disallowed by everybody everywhere. Or "fixed" in an FAQ.

Wildey
Nov 9, 2009

xtothez posted:

Two new discoveries for today...

1) There's a difference between 'emplaced weapons' (pg96) and 'gun emplacements' (pg105). The Tyranid FAQ only stops them using the former. Hello Aegis line with Quad-Gun!

2) When assaulting defense lines, you count as in base to base contact if both models are touching the line itself. This means you don't need to 'jump over' to assault it, don't need to take a difficult terrain test, and therefore don't go at I1 when assaulting.

So a new Tyranid strategy springs to mind...

If you take an Aegis line with quad-gun, throw a BS4 Venomthrope on it to gun (which isn't wasting a chance to fire anyway), and fill the line with long ranged support like Biovores and/or a Tyrannofex. Everything inside gets a solid cover save. Anyone who tries to assault counts as in difficult and dangerous terrain, plus defensive grenades due to the Venomthrope. A Tyrannofex would get D3 free overwatch hits from his Thorax Swarm too.
And best of all, you can reliably shoot down flyers with four S7 shots at re-rollable 3+'s.

This sounds pretty incredible, anyone else have an opinion on if venomthrope quadgun usage is actually legit? if so I'd seriously be picking up an aegis defense line and venomthrope model like this weekend. Seems like a much more stable solution to handling a flyer rather than 'oh ok I'm going to dedicate my points-heavy HT to maybe kinda spamming any flyers the enemy might have'. And, as an added bonus, it gives great babysitting powers to any biovores you'd be running. Think its worth parking hive guards with the combo too?

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Wildey posted:

This sounds pretty incredible, anyone else have an opinion on if venomthrope quadgun usage is actually legit? if so I'd seriously be picking up an aegis defense line and venomthrope model like this weekend. Seems like a much more stable solution to handling a flyer rather than 'oh ok I'm going to dedicate my points-heavy HT to maybe kinda spamming any flyers the enemy might have'. And, as an added bonus, it gives great babysitting powers to any biovores you'd be running. Think its worth parking hive guards with the combo too?

Yeah, it works RAW, but probably not RAI. This will probably be addressed in the next FAQ. Honestly, you cannot depend on the Quad-Gun as an anti-air solution. It's simply too fragile. It'll be worth the points as a distraction for your opponent, who will want to down it ASAP if he has enough flyers coming in, but you need to make sure to pack more AA.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
The only thing more swooshable than a night scythe is two night scythes

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I imagine that they'll faq skyshields so that only infantry, fliers and skimmers can be on it

Tailfnz
Oct 13, 2011

I'm delightfully forgettable.

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

I imagine that they'll faq skyshields so that only infantry, fliers and skimmers can be on it

I'm already imagining Night Scythes everywhere on these damned things, because I know people dickish enough to do it.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Im actually quite glad to see the demon stuff and not be super excited as I have bought way too much poo poo and plan to with even more when CSM hit. The Seeker chariot is awesome and a bit tempting, but that's it. The PB look kinda boring and the flamers look like the are struggling to get fire out; and the middle one looks like its about to fall asleep. Nurglings are an improvement to what they currently are, but still nothing to make me run out and get. The Blue scribes do look nice, but they suck hard in 8th Fantasy, don't know what they do in 40k.

The CSM Hellbeasts and Lords need to leak so I can start swooning over it like a young girl to the newest boy pop star.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Ghost Hand posted:

I see what you did there. But for the record, since the change to the lifta-droppa I have no complaints!

Curse your 2+ Invulnerable save of positivity. Some day you will fail that roll and be as bitter and miserable as me...some day.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Phyresis posted:

Hnnngggg these plastic plaguebearers are going to be impossible to resist unless they're £30 or something close.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

The Supreme Court posted:

Hnnngggg these plastic plaguebearers are going to be impossible to resist unless they're £30 or something close.

$29 apparently, which likely means £18 like many troop boxed sets. Good luck with that self-control!

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
I will never order anything from Maelstrom games again. Ever. I ordered some Vallejo Black Lava and Commissar Yarrick from them on July 3rd. They have yet to dispatch it and support is really slow, over a week ago they told me that they were still waiting for the Vallejo stuff and that they would dispatch things within a few days and now it is quiet and no reply on my support ticket.

What pisses me off is that Dark Sphere just randomly stops shipping, it took them a week to give me my stuff. But Maelstrom can't even dispatch it within a month! I move out in like two weeks so I won't be around to pick up my order if I'll ever get it.. :argh:

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Romeo is having an aneurism right about now.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

xtothez posted:

$29 apparently, which likely means £18 like many troop boxed sets. Good luck with that self-control!

:negative:

I just got paid too! I don't even want any new models.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Awesome, that's great info. I've been choking on the point cost/effectiveness ratio on the tank bustas since we've been playing relatively small battles (~1000 points) and they're accounting for a fifth or more of my total points. I'll try lootas to see if I can get more bang for the buck. I need to reread the zzap, kannon, and shokk attack rules apparently; I remember being a bit put off by the random wackiness of the shokk attack gun (should probably just embrace it, random wackiness is Ork bread and butter) but didn't even realize that zzaps were AP2.

Allies sound like a really viable option once we get up to ~1500pt battles. IG + fortifications in particular present some really interesting options. Are there any Allies rules about not being able to field allies of the same type against an opponent whose primary army is the ally type (e.g. if my opponent is playing IG, can my Orks still use IG allies? Seems like it'd be problematic fluff-wise but we all know how little the rules adhere to fluff).

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Torabi posted:

I will never order anything from Maelstrom games again. Ever. I ordered some Vallejo Black Lava and Commissar Yarrick from them on July 3rd. They have yet to dispatch it and support is really slow, over a week ago they told me that they were still waiting for the Vallejo stuff and that they would dispatch things within a few days and now it is quiet and no reply on my support ticket.

What pisses me off is that Dark Sphere just randomly stops shipping, it took them a week to give me my stuff. But Maelstrom can't even dispatch it within a month! I move out in like two weeks so I won't be around to pick up my order if I'll ever get it.. :argh:

Maelstrom and Wayland are both utter poo poo for shipping, but recently Dark Sphere has gone the same way, as you mentioned. I ordered 4 pots of P3 paint on the 10th, and i'm still waiting for them to be dispatched. Apparently, they were missing from the order that DS received, so it seems that DS may well have gone to the horrible stock system that makes Maelstrom and Wayland so poo poo, namely that they keep zero stock and order it as the order comes in.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Damnit, I wasn't planning on buying any chaos marines when they came out, but between the rumors and the starter set... Then these demons show up and I want to run some allied lists.

My main army is Dark Angels, so I'll be buying the starter regardless. gently caress.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Safety Factor posted:

My main army is Dark Angels, so I'll be buying the starter regardless. gently caress.

Run both Dark Angels and the Fallen--you wouldn't even have to change anything. Just have Dark Angels hanging out with Daemons, maybe have your HQ look like Cypher for the hell of it. You can pretty much use the entire starter set with the Fallen, which is boss.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Phyresis posted:

Yeah, it works RAW, but probably not RAI. This will probably be addressed in the next FAQ. Honestly, you cannot depend on the Quad-Gun as an anti-air solution. It's simply too fragile. It'll be worth the points as a distraction for your opponent, who will want to down it ASAP if he has enough flyers coming in, but you need to make sure to pack more AA.

They're T7 W2 3+ with likely a cover save to boot. Anything with a serious chance to kill one of those is something that would otherwise shoot your MC's, so for the sake of 50pts I think it's worth it. Especially for the possibility that they can fail to kill it turn 1 then roll for their flyers to come on turn 2.

Wildey
Nov 9, 2009

Phyresis posted:

So... a flyrant loaded with devourers is still the go-to AA tyranid solution?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

xtothez posted:

They're T7 W2 3+ with likely a cover save to boot. Anything with a serious chance to kill one of those is something that would otherwise shoot your MC's, so for the sake of 50pts I think it's worth it. Especially for the possibility that they can fail to kill it turn 1 then roll for their flyers to come on turn 2.

Agreed. Considering what a boon the 50pt wall is for backline objective holding the 50pt gun for both AA duty and distraction duty is a solid choice, especially since the Tyranid have very little in the way of anti-tank at range and 4 TL BS4 S7 shots do that job nicely (man the gun with your tentacles, good sir Venomthrope!). Now that we've realized we were all dumb when we thought they couldn't use the gun things are looking a lot better.

I'm definitely making a bio-gun out of the Tyrannofex gun and some greenstuff, as well as walls from foliage and plasticard. I've recently bought more fake plastic leaves than I'll ever need for this purpose.

Wildey posted:

So... a flyrant loaded with devourers is still the go-to AA tyranid solution?

This is pretty much the best thing, yes. There are a couple of arguments that Bonesword and Lashwhip with one TL Devourer might be better (cheaper/allows you to psyker shoot and shoot your single pair if you get poor power rolls) but either way is good. 24" move + 18" shot means the death of most non-Stormraven Flyers in a single turn of shooting just by Glancing alone.

Note: You will immediately be shot from the sky with every AP2-3 gun in range until dead. :(

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jul 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

If Tau hit a flier with a mark-lights can you expend the counters to boost the BS on the snap shots?

• Locked thread