Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

Yay, I got FFXII International working on my PC! What jobs would you guys recommend I pick? Say, if Balthier picks BLM, can he still use guns?

How about :
Vaan - Monk
Penelo - White Mage
Ashe - Red Mage
Basch - Knight
Balthier - Time Mage
Fran - Black Mage

Only problem is shadows will glitch out during cutscenes in PCSX2, any way I can fix this?

Vaan is an awesome Monk. Monks even gets access to Curaja and Bravery with just a Quickening slot. His magic stat is good enough that this is quite useful.

I would suggest making Balthier a Machinist or Hunter. Having a character with all the Potion and Remedy Lores is extremely useful.

Don't listen to Gamefaqs (if you bother to go there) about making Basch a White Mage. He's basically useless until near the end of the game, when you get the good stuff and he has all his Spellbound augments.

The Time Mage is garbage, I'll let this FFXII IZJS veteran explain why:

quote:

TIME MAGE

Magick...........Alternative

Slow...............Red Mage
Immobilize.........Red Mage
Disable............Red Mage
Reflect............Red Mage
Vanish.............Red Mage
Balance............Red Mage & Balance Motes
Gravity............Doesn't work against anything with Safety Augment
Haste..............Hastega Motes
Stop...............Niho + Chronos Tear
Bleed..............Meteorite A
Break..............Niho + Gold Needle
Countdown..........Takes too long and it won't work on anything that will be around that long. Worst spell in the game
Float..............Libra shows traps and Float Motes are easily farmed
Berserk............Bacchus Wine
Vanishga...........Vanishga Motes
Warp...............Warp Motes, easily farmed
Reflectga..........Reflectga Motes
Slowga.............Concede this one
Graviga............Doesn't work against anything with Safety Augment
Hastega............Hastega Motes

Time Mage......Easily replaced

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Mill Village posted:

That's not totally fair, though. Haste is really really useful and hastega motes don't exactly grow on trees. Also, there's enough farming in FFXII that you probably aren't interested in doing it for a bunch of those listed motes, either. Their Berserk spell can be much more reliable than Bacchus' Wines. The job has a bunch of statuses that you may want to use before Nihopaloas show up (and lets be honest, that accessory is THE most overpowered thing in the game). Skipping Time Mage basically requires you have a Red Mage to take over for a bunch of stuff also.

Also, Time Mages are interesting, equipment-wise. They get heavy armor which gives good defense and boosts strength, and their spells don't require a high magick power, so the job is ideal for the men on the team. With a guy's strength plus strength from armor (and they get a bunch of battle lores), their crossbows actually do good damage at range. Plus, the bolts you get can inflict all sorts of statuses just attacking normally.

So no, they're not one of the BEST classes, but they're actually pretty good at giving good ranged offense with a ton of statuses for shutting enemies down. Their statuses are especially useful if you plan to go to nasty areas long before you can fight things there "normally." Even enemies that'll kill you dead in a hit or two aren't too threatening if they're disabled or stopped or can't move while you kill them from range.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Why would they suggest making Basch a White Mage?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I think because the Holy rod combined with Basch's high strength allows for a lot of damage from a class that's normally pure support.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country
I finally beat Exdeath the first time you fight him in the castle, spent a good hour or so getting my rear end beat trying different things. In the end i just went full party Samurai and spammed gil toss until he went down, it was over in 2 turns.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I'm late to the talk on Final Fantasy table top RPG's, but if you still want to try something, make sure you go with the third edition here:

http://ninjaweazel.wikispaces.com/file/view/Final+Fantasy+RPG+3e.pdf

The older editions were just a hodgepodge of random elements of existing games that reminded people of Final Fantasy. Somebody finally came along and not only balanced everything, but also bothered to proofread the whole thing and lay it all out in a style actually in keeping with modern table top games.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

voltron lion force posted:

I think because the Holy rod combined with Basch's high strength allows for a lot of damage from a class that's normally pure support.

Yeah, this was their reasoning for it. They didn't bother to explain how tough it would be to get him to that point, though. :argh:

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

FFXII also loves undead mobs, so there are a ton of Holy weaknesses out there. For that same reason, Excalibur is often better than the Tournesol.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You know what would be rad? If Square ripped off Steam and made a multiplayer class-based first person hack-n-slasher. If that was Final Fantasy XV, I'd play the hell out of it.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Mill Village posted:

Yes because I really want to farm items just to cast some spells.

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

You know what would be rad? If Square ripped off Steam and made a multiplayer class-based first person hack-n-slasher. If that was Final Fantasy XV, I'd play the hell out of it.

No lie, I had a lot of fun at times in FFXII using Vaan solo, with a bow, holding the over-the-shoulder view button constantly.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Wow, Final Fantasy IV Interlude may have been the biggest waste of 3 hours I've seen. Nothing happened except, like, maybe two important things? The rest was all needless filler where they just shoveled in reused assets from IV. Even the final boss is cheaply done, if not slightly interesting.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Fister Roboto posted:

Left 4 Final Fantasy would be pretty great, but it would also probably be an MMO, and would be utterly atrocious for it. No first person cooperative cuttin' through bitches with three of your friends; you better find some random imbeciles on the internet for it, and you better pay us $20 a month to do it.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Dr Pepper posted:

Yes because I really want to farm items just to cast some spells.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that guy has done a shitload of FF XII challenge games (like low level games, solo games, and even a fisticuffs challenge), so farming poo poo is nothing for him. I'm going to try out a Time Mage and see how it goes. Four melee characters and no Berserk is kinda lame. I'm having a hard time finding Bacchus Wines.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Mill Village posted:

Yeah, I forgot to mention that guy has done a shitload of FF XII challenge games (like low level games, solo games, and even a fisticuffs challenge), so farming poo poo is nothing for him. I'm going to try out a Time Mage and see how it goes. Four melee characters and no Berserk is kinda lame. I'm having a hard time finding Bacchus Wines.

You can get an Armguard in the northern part of the Estersand- it gives permanent Berserk status, and it is on someone in my team at all times. As a benefit, you can just change your accessory if you need to control the character for something in the middle of battle.

I think FFXII is the only one in the series where Berserk is a godly status. Most games it's a pain in the rear end.

But yeah, that guys list is kind of dumb, since the jobs are designed to have a lot of overlap so any combination will work. You could make a list like that for pretty much any job and explain how you can achieve the same thing through other jobs and items.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

You can get an Armguard in the northern part of the Estersand- it gives permanent Berserk status, and it is on someone in my team at all times. As a benefit, you can just change your accessory if you need to control the character for something in the middle of battle.

That is awesome, I didn't know they changed that. Thanks, that might make this current run a lot better.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

And now Kotaku says their rumor was wrong and Versus is not so cancelled after all. So the waiting game continues (unless Square just wants to announce the cancellation when they're good and ready).

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Schwartzcough posted:

And now Kotaku says their rumor was wrong and Versus is not so cancelled after all. So the waiting game continues (unless Square just wants to announce the cancellation when they're good and ready).

No one should believe Kotaku about anything they ever ssay about anything.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Wow, Final Fantasy IV Interlude may have been the biggest waste of 3 hours I've seen. Nothing happened except, like, maybe two important things? The rest was all needless filler where they just shoveled in reused assets from IV. Even the final boss is cheaply done, if not slightly interesting.

This is incorrect! The two things you are thinking of are not actually important. :v:

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Final Fantasy XIII Versus was not cancelled. However, it may look completely different from what we saw last time, and will most definitely be renamed. You guys don't have to believe me at all, but you can chalk this case up as another example of game journalism.txt.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

That seems like an awful lot of effort for what amounts to a novelty effect. Would White Mage Basch with a Holy Rod be dealing significantly more damage than, say, Basch in any actual physical-based class? Because "At the end of the game you can use White Mage Basch the same way you could have been using him the whole game if you had chosen Knight" isn't a very compelling argument and I can't imagine this idea really catching on.

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jul 24, 2012

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Himuro posted:

Final Fantasy XIII Versus was not cancelled. However, it may look completely different from what we saw last time, and will most definitely be renamed. You guys don't have to believe me at all, but you can chalk this case up as another example of game journalism.txt.

I don't know, I'm fully expecting the game to just never come out. Square's godawful development strategies seem to be catching up to them. It's probably better for everyone to just pretend they canceled it. If they end up releasing it, that could be a fun surprise rather than something we waited over half a decade for.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Momomo posted:

I don't know, I'm fully expecting the game to just never come out. Square's godawful development strategies seem to be catching up to them. It's probably better for everyone to just pretend they canceled it. If they end up releasing it, that could be a fun surprise rather than something we waited over half a decade for.

I still love hearing stories about how far SE got into developing FF13 before realizing they forgot the actual "Gameplay" part of the game.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

There has to be a reason they bought Eidos, I know a couple of Japanese devs have been visiting western ones recently.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

There has to be a reason they bought Eidos, I know a couple of Japanese devs have been visiting western ones recently.

I figure the amazing sales of Deus Ex: HR were the reason as well as the mega-hype surrounding the next Tomb Raider.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Schwartzcough posted:

I think FFXII is the only one in the series where Berserk is a godly status. Most games it's a pain in the rear end.

It's also pretty awesome in FF4, I learned recently. Your character will attack much more quickly thanks to not being as restricted by the game's wonky ATB, and their attack power gets a nice boost as well.

Of course, it's usually overkill anyway, but it can come in handy (and makes the Avenger sword one of the better weapons in the game due to its auto-Berserk).

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

The GIG posted:

I still love hearing stories about how far SE got into developing FF13 before realizing they forgot the actual "Gameplay" part of the game.

I literally used to press X from the other room while I did something else.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

TurnipFritter posted:

That seems like an awful lot of effort for what amounts to a novelty effect. Would White Mage Basch with a Holy Rod be dealing significantly more damage than, say, Basch in any actual physical-based class? Because "At the end of the game you can use White Mage Basch the same way you could have been using him the whole game if you had chosen Knight" isn't a very compelling argument and I can't imagine this idea really catching on.

It apparently is a popular way to set him up because of that. Though I think he's much better as a Knight. He has mediocre healing skills and great physical damage for most of the game instead of just the endgame.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

They bought Eidos because they needed a company that would help them reach a global market. Though I'm pretty sure they wanted a company who could help them sell games in Europe, but I can't find the article that talked about this.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-12-02-videogame-lifer-interview

quote:

Ian Livingstone:...Eidos, as you know, was acquired by Square Enix recently. The reason they bought Eidos was not to take all our amazing IP like Hitman, Thief, Tomb Raider and Champ Manager and take it back to Tokyo to develop. Far from it.

They were buying the IP but also the expertise of our studios, the ability to make games in our great studios for a global audience. So rather than just being a Japanese-facing entity with Square Enix products, apart from Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest, which reached a global audience, they now had a big portfolio of games that addressed a global market.

Mill Village fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jul 24, 2012

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mega64 posted:

It's also pretty awesome in FF4, I learned recently. Your character will attack much more quickly thanks to not being as restricted by the game's wonky ATB, and their attack power gets a nice boost as well.

Of course, it's usually overkill anyway, but it can come in handy (and makes the Avenger sword one of the better weapons in the game due to its auto-Berserk).

It's also great in FF2 where it's just a flat damage boost. Arguably the best spell in the game, but FF2 is kind of a special case. It's also awesome in FF6 becaue Umaro :black101:

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I finished the After Years on PSP over the weekend and I really enjoyed it. There's a ton of content and characters to play as. It just makes me realize how much I want an updated version of FFVI already. The sprite work and graphics in the PSP version of FFIV is awesome.

They could even do an episodic thing again as a midquel between the WoR and the WoB.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

TurnipFritter posted:

I agree it seems like more trouble than its worth since you're playing a gimped job for most of the game. But what you end up with is like a Knight with a stronger leaning towards magic, which isn't a bad thing at all. If you combine it with say a Monk and Red mage there will still be plenty of heals to go around anyways. It's certainly a gimmick but one that I think has real viability and is actually kind of clever too.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Harlock posted:

I finished the After Years on PSP over the weekend and I really enjoyed it. There's a ton of content and characters to play as. It just makes me realize how much I want an updated version of FFVI already. The sprite work and graphics in the PSP version of FFIV is awesome.

They could even do an episodic thing again as a midquel between the WoR and the WoB.

I would dig a HD remake of FF6, but no sequels/prequels/midquels please. Just leave that universe alone, Square. There's really nowhere they could go with if they made a FFVI-2. The story is very firmly wrapped up and a sequel would just suck.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

VII's story was wrapped up, too, and it didn't stop them from making a lovely (movie) sequel. :argh:

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Mill Village posted:

VII's story was wrapped up, too, and it didn't stop them from making a lovely (movie) sequel. :argh:

Wrapped up? It had one of the most open endings ever. In FF. :confused:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I think you could make an interesting sequel to FFVI about rebuilding the world and the struggles that come along with it. Of course from Squeenix it would turn out to be ham-fisted as gently caress so maybe not.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Mill Village posted:

Yeah, FF7's ending was pretty ambiguous. And just becaus they DID make a bunch of sequels doesn't mean they SHOULD. I think Advent Children and The After Years suck, but that didn't stop Square from making 'em. I just hope they leave FF6 alone.

Which they might, because for whatever reason, VI doesn't appear to be so popular on Japan. It's us westerners that love it.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

I think the midquel idea was kinda neat, I'd like to play an episodic FFVI where each chapter starts with a different character waking up after the catastrophe, and the episode ends when they get picked up by the main party, or other convenient stopping point. They could even have two episodes for Shadow, in one you make your way back to the airship on the Floating Continent to see your friends leaving you to die :smithicide:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The problem with a FF6 sequel is finding a ham-fisted way to bring back magic, as it's completely and utterly gone at the end of the game.

Basically, they'd have to retcon the ending, and I really doubt they could pull that off well. I'm almost dreading whatever stupid explanation they could come up with to justify that. Plus, there's not really much else for the story to go.

Maybe a prequel for the War of the Magi could work, but I'd rather Square-Enix try making an actual original game rather than continuing to coast on past games.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Pablo Gigante posted:

I think you could make an interesting sequel to FFVI about rebuilding the world and the struggles that come along with it. Of course from Squeenix it would turn out to be ham-fisted as gently caress so maybe not.

It would probably involve a new religion that pretends to be benevolent and tries to save people from falling into despair by having faith or whatever but in actuality it'd be a cult formed by the remains of the Fanatic's Tower members and they'd be trying to revive Kefka behind the scenes while everything else is going on.

No need to thank me SE, I'll be waiting for my check in the mail. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Mega64 posted:

Maybe a prequel for the War of the Magi could work, but I'd rather Square-Enix try making an actual original game rather than continuing to coast on past games.
I have less faith in them developing a new game than just building on the bones of their catalog.

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

I think the midquel idea was kinda neat, I'd like to play an episodic FFVI where each chapter starts with a different character waking up after the catastrophe, and the episode ends when they get picked up by the main party, or other convenient stopping point.
This was basically what I was hinting at, especially with the year or so gap that happens between the world changing. There could be some interesting things that happen to the characters. It's a way to create more content without adding on to the finale which in my opinion was pretty resolute.

Harlock fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jul 24, 2012